Gene editing will cure us soon??? R u kidding?

Herbfresh

So it seems, a full blown functional cure might be around the corner.  No need to wait 30 years for DRACO, or another 15 years for not cure vaccine. And the best part is gene editing is seems to becoming prevalent, so there is no stopping it now. This is not some tech that will fall into limbo, its being used now on people.

The two gene editing techniques are called CRISPR and TALON. Since they work in slightly different ways it gives us even more options. TALON was recently used to cure a girls otherwise incurable disease. So it works. Gene editing works. 

or the first time ever, a person’s life has been saved by gene editing.

One-year-old Layla was dying from leukaemia after all conventional treatments failed. “We didn’t want to give up on our daughter, though, so we asked the doctors to try anything,” her mother Lisa said in a statement released by Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, where Layla (pictured above) was treated.

And they did. Layla’s doctors got permission to use an experimental form of gene therapy using genetically engineered immune cells from a donor. Within a month these cells had killed off all the cancerous cells in her bone marrow.

It is too soon to say she is cured, the team stressed at a press conference in London on 5 November. That will only become clear after a year or two. So far, though, she is doing well and there is no sign of the cancer returning. Other patients are already receiving the same treatment.

Now Duke university is using gene editing to create a cure for HSV, and it sounds like they have completed their research and have settled on a solution, and are testing it right now, with the expectation of a full blown and effective cure! 

November 2015

My laboratory continues to collaborate with the laboratory of David Bloom, at the University of Florida, and the biotech company Editas, located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, to develop a treatment that will destroy latent HSV genomes and fully cure HSV-induced disease. After much effort, we have now focused on the Cas9 gene encoded by Staph. aureus (SA) as the ideal DNA editing enzyme for use in these studies. In particular, the SA Cas9 gene is only ~3,200 base pairs (bp) in size and this has allowed us to design fully infectious but replication-incompetent viral vectors based on adeno-associated virus (AAV), which represents a highly efficient in vivo delivery system but only has a packaging limit of ~4,800 bp. We have now built and tested several AAV-based vectors, each expressing the SA Cas9 protein, as well as two HSV-1-specific guide RNAs, that are being tested for efficacy in latently HSV-1-infected mice. Our initial goal is to focus on the development of AAV-based SA Cas9 expression vectors as a treatment for HSV-1 induced keratitis, which leads to loss of vision in a significant percentage of infected patients, as a proof-of-concept that this approach can indeed target and destroy HSV-1 DNA genomes in vivo. If successful, then this approach could be readily extended to other latent or active infections caused by HSV-1 and, especially, HSV-2. A review article describing this treatment strategy, and explaining how it works, was recently published by my group: Kennedy & Cullen Virology 2015

https://sites.duke.edu/cullenlaboratory/current-research/herpes-research/update-on-hsv-research/

• Like 3

The Cullen and Bloom method has a long way to go. They are going for a full-blown cure. 

What I am wondering is, what will happen if they just edit our T cells to better recognise HSV? It's a MUCH MUCH simpler and safer idea. All you would have to do is create one disruption on how HSV hijacks the T Cells. If it cannot hijack your T Cells, it's pretty much useless. But, yea, I'm no expert, but even I can see it's probably a ways off. 

But if they can make T Cells that attack Leukemia cells, that are almost wholey unrecognised by T Cells, it just seems like it should be pretty easy to edit T Cells to annihilate HSV

I think they can edit our T Cells to cure us, but it's just not really on anybodies agenda. They are only going to do that for things like HIV and different cancers, which is happening right now, and its working.! If HSV was viewed with the same sense, I think perhaps the treatment for cure would exist right now. 

Like I said, Gene Editing has cured incurable forms of Leukaemia. but why was this done for Leukaemia and not HIV? Because HIV can be treated. HSV on the other hand can be treated, so they think, and it is not serious, so they believe. The tech is here, but we're all fucked, because HSV is always the last thing they give a shit about. 

Edited by Herbfresh

Hmmm, where to start on this one?

What I am wondering is, what will happen if they just edit our T cells to better recognize HSV?

Massive ongoing, incurable, neuropathic pain.

All you would have to do is create one disruption on how HSV hijacks the T Cells.  If it cannot hijack your T Cells, it's pretty much useless.

HSV does not infect, hijack, change, T-Cells outside of a lab. Neurons, epithelial (skin), and a few others but it does not infect T-cells.  (That's HIV)

But if they can make T Cells that attack Leukemia cells, that are almost wholey unrecognised by T Cells, it just seems like it should be pretty easy to edit T Cells to annihilate HSV

The thing you're talking about is called Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-Cells or CAR-T.  In it's current clinically relevant form it reprograms T-Cells to go after ALL B-Cells in the body for a very specific, albeit common, type of leukemia.  Every single B-Cell.  It relies on the fact that you don't actually need B-Cells to live (since they only produce antibodies).  The idea is that once all the B-Cells (healthy and leukemic) are gone the person can get a bone marrow transplant with the confidence that there are no more leukemic progenitor cells. 

I think they can edit our T Cells to cure us, but it's just not really on anybodies agenda.

So, sure, following the CAR-T paradigm you could reprogram T-Cells to go after every neuron in the body.  That's the level of control this concept has.  But I hope you see the pitfall in killing ever neuron in a person's body. 

Side note: I thought the use of the word "anybodies" in that context was wrong but since it means: "persons of great significance" kudos on that.  

but why was this done for Leukaemia and not HIV?

A very different type of gene editing therapy in which doctors use the same gene editing technique as CAR-T but to remove a gene that makes T-Cells susceptible to HIV is currently in a half dozen clinical trials.  Early results are showing that the cells tend to survive and propagate but in a lot of patients HIV mutates around the protection and comes raging back.

The tech is here, but we're all fucked, because HSV is always the last thing they give a shit about. 

Now I agree with this but after I once sat in an NIH waiting room with a bunch of, frail, terrified, dying, children and saw the faces of their weary parents; cancer (particularly leukemia) and HIV should absolutely, positively, without a doubt, be the priority.  We can chose to participate in clinical trials.  Those poor kids absolutely need them.

Edited by StayingUpbeat
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2016 at 0:25 AM, StayingUpbeat said:

Now I agree with this but after I once sat in an NIH waiting room with a bunch of, frail, terrified, dying, children and saw the faces of their weary parents; cancer (particularly leukemia) and HIV should absolutely, positively, without a doubt, be the priority.  We can chose to participate in clinical trials.  Those poor kids absolutely need them.

I think we can all agree on this, If you ever go to a Cancer Ward and see the children suffering from various stages of terminal cancer, it really puts your own herpes suffering into perspective. Herpes will not kill you like cancer & HIV, or rob you of your motor control like parkinsons or multiple sclerosis, we have a skin condition that is manageable thereabouts, but with 2/3 of the worlds population having this, I really believe we can create a functional cure within 10 years, if not i will lose hope, we really have some great people like David Knipe, Frazer, Halford etc working on this day in, day out.

Personally i am holding hope in ACAM-529, the replication defective vaccine, even Halford has appraised this one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lexyz22 said:

If you ever go to a Cancer Ward and see the children suffering from various stages of terminal cancer, it really puts your own herpes suffering into perspective. Herpes will not kill you like cancer & HIV, or rob you of your motor control like parkinsons or multiple sclerosis, we have a skin condition that is manageable thereabouts, but with 2/3 of the worlds population having this

Statements like this keep coming up and, while I'm not here to start an argument, I think some realistic perspective needs to be shed on this.

Life is a bit more complicated than ending up in a cancer ward.  There's a field of research called the Embryonic Origins of Adult Diseases.   The same can be said of actions early in life affecting how our body/cells express themselves later on.   Epigentics.  Karma.   They're all hanging out and stringed intimately together.

HSV is a chronic viral infection.  Something that one's body is always suppressing.  There are plenty of studies showing alzheimer's correlation with those with HSV (probably oral more so).  But it's a nervous system affliction.  The brain is a giant nerve.  Having hsv is now demanding resources that would be otherwise nourishing and supporting your regular nervous system.  There's a constant demand for antibodies, for immune cells to clean up viral garbage.  As we age, things "dry up". Literally, things dry up.  The liver's function decreases 1% every year after ~30years of age.  The Liver is the major blood store for the body, as well as so much more.  Alzheimers is things drying up.  They talk about these hard, plaque formations associated with alzheimers... drying up.  Parkinsons, decreased circulation to the brain, drying up.  Multiple Sclerosis - drying up of the nerves.  Sclerosis is hardening.  Literally, the myelin sheaths are degrading and the nerves are inflamed and becoming damaged bc they're not nourished by their fatty protection/fuel.  The myelin is one aspect of the wax of the candle.

This all takes energy.  Every person is like a candle.  the flame of the candle burns and the wax dwindles. At night, the flame dwindles so that the wax may regenerate.  But having hsv is like an extra, inappropriate burden for the flame to burn at the wax.   When one's fire is literally "Burned Out" then you have conditions like "Cancer".  The body isn't able to circulate and take care of itself, it's tired, there's stagnation, mutations occur... and since there's so much stagnation the body's innate anti-cancer cells can't tag and destroy the renegade mutant cancer cells.  Stagnation is the mother of all diseases.

"It's just a skin condition" is the exact crack logic that prevented the person from telling me she had this.  Oh everyone gets it.   I'm friends with several people who I know get cold sores.  There's this 'difference' about their mental/facial expression and awareness.  I just thought that's the way they were, just adding to the variation in the world.   ...But then I got infected with This.   ...And I started to experience the same stuff.   The only thing that has brought me out of it and made me feel normal is taking St. John's Wort every now and then.  If there's one good thing that has come out of getting hsv, it's been enhancing my understanding of the nervous system and how badass of an herb SJW is.

I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned in life but I'm over this one that isn't going away any time soon.   I think it's important to make peace with It but not kid ourselves about it being just a skin condition.   It's painful to read stories out there about people's first outbreaks.    I hope they produce and distribute a damn vaccine already so people don't have to experience this crap anymore in the first place.

Edited by Sanguine108
  • Like 3

While there is plenty of suffering that comes from HSV, I don't think that dealing with HSV is nearly as bad as dealing with fatal conditions (some that appear during childhood).. that's the message I got from StayingUpbeat and Lexyz22. Mixing in the concept and effects of aging and indirectly claiming that HSV somehow accelerates it/them is somewhat misleading in this context, Sanguine.  Yes, HSV is a burden on the host, but whether its effect is like a drop in the ocean or a bucket in a puddle - or somewhere in the middle -  is to be determined. Nobody is arguing that HSV needs to be eradicated, but it isn't exactly a big deal when compared to real tragedies in life.

On topic, gene editing is one of those technologies that have the potential to make things a lot worse than better, so the overall design has to be perfect. I really do hope that they can show 100% delivery of SA Cas9 to only the HSV-infected neurons and that snipping the HSV genome doesn't somehow create a bunch of other undesirable secondary effects with DNA translation in the affected cells.

Just now, HopefulOne2013 said:

Hopefully the patent war will be settled quickly. I would think Jennifer Doudna would be granted the patent. 

http://fortune.com/2016/01/20/crispr-biotech-patent/

Assuming Doudna wins. I wonder what that means for Editas medicine? Being that they are in charge of the HSV keratitis program.

Edited by dont quit!
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, dont quit! said:

Assuming Doudna wins. I wonder what that means for Editas medicine? Being that they are in charge of the HSV keratitis program.

I assume it means business as usual for Editas. They will be paying royalties to Doudna on any Crispr treatment along with all of the companies. I'm pretty sure she will be a billionaire. 

• Like 3

On 1/21/2016 at 9:33 PM, VVK said:

I really do hope that they can show 100% delivery of SA Cas9 to only the HSV-infected neurons and that snipping the HSV genome doesn't somehow create a bunch of other undesirable secondary effects with DNA translation in the affected cells.

hehe

spidey dinosaur dna cancer.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And people beat cancer everday! Who's beating hsv? When cancer becomes contagious (to the point if you touch it on someone you'll get it) then I'll be concerned, but even then people still beat cancer everday! Maybe I'm just a piece of sh!t but I think this nightmare should get equal attention at least! It's been tormenting our species since our inception and  people act like "it won't kill you" is an acceptable excuse to let people keep suffering. We are all, always dying! I at least felt like I was living before H. This post H life (to me) is not living.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 13 August 2016 at 8:13 AM, hopeful Rylee said:

Any updates on this? Anyone actually believe this may come to pass..?

Is your function on this site to go from thread to thread asking if there are any updates??!! That's all you seem to do. Maybe you should try doing some research of your own and contributing something other than asking if there are any updates. It's really really annoying and I'm not the only person to call you out on this. Cut it out.

Just askin

5 hours ago, Peeved said:

Is your function on this site to go from thread to thread asking if there are any updates??!! That's all you seem to do. Maybe you should try doing some research of your own and contributing something other than asking if there are any updates. It's really really annoying and I'm not the only person to call you out on this. Cut it out.

12 hours ago, Peeved said:

I ask what I want to ask. Keep scrolling if you don't like it.

7 hours ago, cantdoit said:

Amen. There should've been a cure ages ago. 

As ive said before and others will say it too.  It affects everyone differently and many live quite okay with it.