Effectiveness of Valtrex for Primary Outbreaks

Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with herpes - both oral and genital (mostly likely HSV1, although this has not yet been confirmed by lab analysis). I took 2000mg of Valtrex on Tuesday afternoon, another 2000mg on Tuesday morning and have since continued taking the drug with a dosage of 500mg twice a day. It has been almost three days and my symptoms seem to be getting worse ie. new sites have appeared and previous, smaller areas of infection are spreading. Is this normal? At what point should I rule out Valtrex as an effective tool to manage outbreaks?

Thank you

I think from your experience you can already tell that it isn't an effective tool to manage outbreaks. Valtrex is more useful as a suppressive therapy. It works over a longer period of time to keep HSV dormant. For actual outbreaks where there are already lesions present, there is already a high viral load and the use of Valtrex isn't going to grind viral activity to a halt. It is helpful to take it during an outbreak but don't expect a miracle.

Best bet to effectively manage an outbreak is to help your immune system by minimizing stress (get as much rest as possible), minimizing carbohydrate intake, and managing lesions with antiseptics and/or virucidal oils (coconut, manuka, peppermint, tea tree, oregano, etc. .. whatever is available).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Single ➵ You may like to try the Dating App

• Similar Content

• name12
      By name12
      hello,
      i was here in june with what I thought was maybe an oral ob.  At that point it had been post exposure by 4 months and i ended up testing neg 1&2 igg.  i just tested again and was neg for both, no new contact. 
      Monday night my nose all of a sudden became EXTREMELY itchy in just one nostril.  the next morning and day all of these white bumps popped up all over it.  I put abreva all in my nose.  this morning i woke up and it was irritated but all the white bumps were gone.  I calmed down but then i just looked and it looks like there's little erosions inside my nose now.  The dr refuses to swab.  Does this look like herpes?  I'm attaching pics of my nose with the blisters and with the erosions, I circled the erosions.  Also including a pic of my lip from june for reference. 

Sorry for the image quality of my nose, one is scarily detailed and the one of the bumps is very blurry.  hard to get a good nostril shot as it turns out
      maybe i have a false neg hsv1 test result?
      Feeling so defeated it is frustrating to not know what is going on and i feel humiliated by the drs who think i am being crazy for suggesting herpes.

• Sadcat
      By Sadcat
      Is this herpes?  Ive been in disbelief that I do have hsv1 so I’ve been putting up to go  talk to a doctor because I don’t know what kinda questions to ask even if I did have the courage (Ps I do have a geo tongue ) I’m worried about the to Red holes above where my wisdom teeth would come in . Does anyone know if can you pass It on to animal/cats I’ve been so scared to give my kitty kisses or let her lick my face and would have to push my pet away 
    • Jesusislove777
      By Jesusislove777
      Hello, 
      I was diagnosed with hsv1&2 earlier this year. I was prescribed 1g of valtrex (valacyclovir) a day for suppressive therapy.  Valtrex helps greatly with my symtoms, but I recently had to leave my job for health reasons and will no longer have health insurance to get prescribed valtrex. 
      Does anyone know where I can purchase valtrex (valacyclovir) online without a prescription?
    • Lifeonhopes
      By Lifeonhopes
      Hi All,
      Me and my wife positive for hsv1 igg with value 2.1(wife) and 3.9(husband) tested four times in a year range not changed.
      We both do not have any symptoms of hsv1. We do not have hsv2 which is always negative.
      We are trying for baby, and had two miscarriage in the time spawn of 1.4 yr.
      Is there any relationship between hsv1 positive igg leading to miscarriage??
      Anyone faced same issue with hsv1 and miscarriage.
    • whereismyanswer
      By whereismyanswer
      Hello there. I'm a 24F, who has  had HSV 1 for 3 and a half years now. I got my first cold sore December of 2016 out of no where when I was 21. I was in school and working at a job that had me very stressed at all time. I came home one day and saw the bumps. Initially, I'd never thought anything of it as my dad always had them when I was growing up. Of course, you go on Google and after about 20 minutes of searching, you are absolutely devastated and disgusted with yourself.
      The first year after my 1st outbreak, I'd occasionally experience some shedding, but didn't get another breakout until the following year. Since that outbreak, I've pretty much steadily had cold sores every month for the last 2 and a half years. I was told birth control would help, because I was noticing outbreaks begin about a week before my cycle. Didn't change anything though.
      Earlier this year, I finally decided it was time to start suppressive therapy, given the fact that I had no success with natural remedies or hormone leveling using the birth control. I've seen no changes in the frequency of my cold sores since starting 1GM of Valcyclovior. It's been about 3 months, and I met with my doctor today to discuss the issue. She basically told me there was nothing she could do and to see a dermatologist. She also gave me the list of vitamins I already to take to try to include with my daily antiviral. I feel completely defeated. I don't know what to do now or if there is any hope. It hurts me so much because I'm so young and nothing has gotten better. Also, I don't think a dermatologist is the answer. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Trending Now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.