Had Shingles at age 28.

I got my fist Cold sore at age 27. I have only had two Outbreaks since then. (I'm 29 now). I did however, got a Shingles outbreak at age 28 (About a month or two, after my second Cold sore outbreak). I know its rare to get a second Outbreak of Shingles. Since getting the Shingle outbreak. I havent gotten a cold sore outbreak. Is it possible that my body developed a stronger immune system cause of the Shingle Virus? I also heard that some people get two Cold sore Outbreaks their whole lives. Just wondering if anyone here have dealt with these two different Outbreaks.  

Thanks

JP

Actually it is pretty rare to have so few issues with shingles, cold sores, german measles etc.

About half the people with HSV-1 experience outbreaks averaging 1-2 a year. The other half only get them during periods of extreme stress. I think this is likely to have happened to you and contributed to your shingles outbreak as well?

Your immune system has always been strong and probably dipped for a couple of years given some circumstances.

Whats odd is that, I've been under a lot of stress, not eating healthy, nor sleeping good. Having about 3 hours of sleep a day these past few weeks. I also gotten sick a couple of months such as cold, no fevers tho. And not one single outbreak. When I got my second OB I wasn't stressed at all. It was very mild OB too with a fever that lasted for 2 hours. After that I felt normal. The Ob wasn't as bad as the first either. 

Edited by JP0315

The fever would not have been caused by HSV. Your body was reacting to something else and this may have given HSV its opportunity to outbreak. Stress can come in the form of mental stress from work, family etc. but also a physical stress from other viruses. When it comes to lips, physical 'trauma' the lips themselves can trigger an outbreak. This includes sunburn, windburn from skiing etc.

Where was your shingles outbreak and how diagnosed as such?

I had shingles for first time and it sucked ..I realize how bad it was week later..middle of my left side back..pain full shit...anyways am 31 and got h2 am not sure if it's commom but old people get this not young..feel for u..a day before I got shingles I felt bit ligth and weird it was a weird feeling my immune system was down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello JPO315 and blue84. I can only speak from my own experience but I too was getting OB's on my left butt near my spine. Mine were incredibly painful and I assumed Shingles also. After seeing ND he explained mine were Sacral Outbreaks. There is not a lot of information published but may be worth looking up to help avoid other OB's.

Certainly may not be your case but I had never heard this was yet another option for the virus to show itself.

• 2 months later...

Hello there! I have had cold sores a lot since I was a kid on my mouth and canker sores (not sure those are related). Although it is "rare" supposedly to have more than 1 shingles outbreak in your life. However, my grandmother, mother, myself and an aunt have had it multiple times. The first time I got shingles I was only in my mid 20s, then again during a pregnancy. My grandmother lost vision in one of her eyes due to nerve or some type of shingles-induced damage. So, I wonder since I am so susceptibe to this stuff if that's partly why I got HSV1 down there and if I can get the shingles shot at only 38? I know most insurance plans won't cover it until you are 50 + or 60+ as preventive care which means you foot the cost IF they will even give you the shot at all - I've tried, too young. Course, that was before this herpes stuff.

Either way, I hope you are feeling better and sorry you are going through all this!!! There has to be an answer there for us who suffer from multiple outbreaks of herpes in different areas, etc.

Edited by bluebell1

Man it sounds like genetics with shingles or passed through parents .  Mouth sores are common .   Don't share spoons with babies and such . Lol . Hemp oil works on shingles .  Meds work too I think .   

I have a internal like shingles . Nerve damage pressure points . Gotten better . Was chronic triggered by food.  Had to sprinkle tumoric on m food to stop pain . Found something else to cancel out nerve damage pain .  Fun times .  Knowing what it was got if of stress that made it worse .   

Good luck .  I might start a relaxing resort for all these members . Lol.  Answer is balance food .  Hi  triggers . Less boozes .  No stress .  Lysine in-between meals . Olive oil on food .  Being dumb happy . Sleep .   Dynamclear is the best I've found .  Manuka NZ health honey .  

I had my first shingles outbreak when I was 12. Left side abdominal area.  It was horrible,  but according to my mom,  I also had chicken pot twice as a toddler, so it seems that viruses totally kick my butt.  Whenever I get too stressed out,  the shingles pops up again,  but now on my leg instead of my side. Ive been doing my best to stay as stress free as possible,  so I haven't had an ob since 2013. I'm hoping that's the only herpes I have,  but we'll find out for sure within the next couple weeks.  One thing that I found that helps is loose fitting clothing,  wrapping it with gauze,  and aloe Vera lotion to help ease and heal.  The sun burn gel with aloe works wonderfully,  and helps with the pain if it has lidocane in it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Single ➵ You may like to try the Dating App

• Similar Content

• whereismyanswer
      By whereismyanswer
      Hello there. I'm a 24F, who has  had HSV 1 for 3 and a half years now. I got my first cold sore December of 2016 out of no where when I was 21. I was in school and working at a job that had me very stressed at all time. I came home one day and saw the bumps. Initially, I'd never thought anything of it as my dad always had them when I was growing up. Of course, you go on Google and after about 20 minutes of searching, you are absolutely devastated and disgusted with yourself.
      The first year after my 1st outbreak, I'd occasionally experience some shedding, but didn't get another breakout until the following year. Since that outbreak, I've pretty much steadily had cold sores every month for the last 2 and a half years. I was told birth control would help, because I was noticing outbreaks begin about a week before my cycle. Didn't change anything though.
      Earlier this year, I finally decided it was time to start suppressive therapy, given the fact that I had no success with natural remedies or hormone leveling using the birth control. I've seen no changes in the frequency of my cold sores since starting 1GM of Valcyclovior. It's been about 3 months, and I met with my doctor today to discuss the issue. She basically told me there was nothing she could do and to see a dermatologist. She also gave me the list of vitamins I already to take to try to include with my daily antiviral. I feel completely defeated. I don't know what to do now or if there is any hope. It hurts me so much because I'm so young and nothing has gotten better. Also, I don't think a dermatologist is the answer. Has anyone else experienced this?
    • LadyInPink
      By LadyInPink
      Does anyone have any advice about applying makeup and removing makeup if you have oral herpes? I'm finding it very difficult to not be wasteful with things like face powder, makeup brushes, tooth brushes and toothpastes, acne medications and moisturizers, and other items like that. I have a terrible fear of possibly spreading something all over my face, so any advice is appreciated. Thank you
    • Is this it
      By Is this it
      Hey everyone 

I had dry lips which then turned to a black spot you could say pic attached. It was there for a few days painless but was quite hard. 
      I put some oregano herbs on it as it was getting darker and peeling hard skin and it started to react and get watery I guess you could say. 

It now looks like this 2 days after applying the herb! The pharmacy said it’s not a cold sore and just reacted to what I put on it On top of a blocked gland or something 
      any ideas?? Please 

• Theairplanelanded
      By Theairplanelanded
      I had sex with a girl and then I started over thinking it. I think it might have been due to irritation but I don’t know. I’m stressing does this look like herpes?

• Ely
      By Ely
      My wedding with virus, one day I was with my friends I get Drunk badly I end up with lady nice looking she give me a bj without protection, few day later I notice small bump red in color on my penis I thought it was nothig but after 10 day of exposure I went to clinic and made some tests I was negative to all but hsv positive igg  not the igm before I get  result I took azithromycin 4x250mg at once same night I get the pink eye both eyes blurry vision watery swolen tissue around eyes couple days after hm to be precise 18 days after exposure my glans was swolen I get balanitis with white chunks under foreskin, also bad inflamation of bladder urethra inflamation and pain in testicles i didn't have blisters or numbness tingeling nop i get swabed inside urethra and they took my urine they think is chlamidia or.. They didn't test me on herp, they find yielded moderate  growth of enterococcus faecalis in my urine also in urethra is it possible that I already have hsv From childhood and I contracted another on genitals, or can this bacteria produce this problem after course of antibiotics all stops balanitis is wanish al pain, now I am waiting or reccurence or 12 weeks to test again is anyone know the difference 
  • Trending Now

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• CHT
      so, you tested positive for GHSV1 via the swab test?  Not by an IgG antibody blood test? Are the OBs severe?  Are they coming often?    GHSV1 in its initial stages (early infection) can cause outbreaks.... the good news is that your odds of outbreaks is significantly lower than those with HSV2 and the number of outbreaks are also much less with GHSV1 than HSV2 especially as time goes on.... on average you may see only one outbreak per year versus 4 to 5 for those with HSV2.... the severity of the outbreaks from GHSV1 are also milder than HSV2 (you may not even notice them with time or go completely asymptomatic).  You may not even need antivirals as time goes on. 
    • Liv25
      The chapstick is called Docoshield and it is on Amazon. Just wanted to pass this along! I have been using this and it brings me a lot of comfort and it has excellent reviews. They also made this chapstick with lysine in it. Hope this helps anyone who needs it! 
    • BabyGirl
      I just stared dating someone who does not have HSV.How long after the sore is healed should I wait before having sex?  I’ve had HSV2 for over 10 years. I rarely have outbreaks going months even years until recently. When I do I get some tingles and one sore in the same spot. But recently, In the last 3 months it’s happened twice. 🤦🏼‍♀️
    • JDMT_176
      If you want to know whats going on when applying it, this was the only study I found describing it. Hard to read through as very technical, but am copy paste parts I found of use. Tables also useful to show which genes are expressed more.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6416766/   "A petrolatum donut was applied with a cotton swab to form about a 1 cm diameter donut on skin on the inner aspect of the upper arm. Then a separate cotton swab was dipped in a 2% SADBE solution (w/v) in DMSO, and the swab was then used to apply about 10–20 mg of solution over about a 1 cm diameter circle within the petrolatum donut. Immediately after application, the application site was covered with TEGADERM. Subjects were advised to remove the TEGADERM and rinse and wipe the spot 3 h later.   "Thus in essentially every case, the SADBE treatment changed the group A subjects by day 57 to make them much more like the group B and C subjects who have better immune control of their HSV‐1 infection than the group A subjects were on day 1.   "Others have previously shown that CD8+ T cells are important in controlling herpes labialis outbreaks.23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 Our data are consistent with this. The helper/cytotoxic cell ratio (CD4+/CD8+ ratio) was 5.25 in group A versus 3.07 and 3.15, respectively in groups B and C (Table (Table3).3). The P‐value is less than 0.20 for comparisons of group A to both groups B and C, and if groups B and C are pooled and compared to group A the P‐value is 0.065, almost significant. This is consistent with prior evidence discussed below that CD8+ T cells are important and effective in controlling HSV recurrences.   "Consistent with our finding lower anti‐HSV‐1 IgG levels correlate with better control of HSV‐1 outbreaks, Spruance et al. also found lower serum anti‐HSV‐1 antibodies in HSV seropositive patients with a history of frequent herpes labialis than in seropositive persons with no history of herpes labialis.33   "Several prior reports also found IFN‐gamma to be important in controlling HSV infection and reducing HSV outbreaks. Dobbs et al28 showed that CD8+ T cells were able to clear an HSV‐2 infection in transgenic mice, but that efficacy was blocked in vivo by anti‐IFNG IgG. Liu et al31 showed that CD8+ T‐cells could prevent HSV‐1 reactivation from latency in excised trigeminal ganglia (TG), and that IFN‐gamma protein was produced by the CD8+ T cells, and that neutralization of IFN‐γ significantly enhanced the rate of HSV‐1 reactivation from latency in TG cultures. Spruance et al33 found that IFN‐gamma protein levels in PBMC supernatants stimulated with HSV‐1‐infected cell extracts were lower in frequent herpes labialis sufferers than HSV‐1 seropositive controls, consistent with the present result for IFNG gene expression in PBMC stimulated with heat‐killed HSV‐1. McKenna et al7 assayed IFN‐gamma in medium of PBMCs cultured in vitro and stimulated with inactivated HSV‐1 and found IFN‐gamma was at higher concentrations in medium of PBMCs from infrequent herpes labialis sufferers than frequent sufferers, also consistent with our findings. Cunningham et al34 showed higher interferon levels (including alpha, gamma, and lambda) in supernatants of PBMCs stimulated with heat‐killed HSV‐1 virus correlated with longer time to next herpes labialis recurrence. Carr et al35 showed that transgenic expression of IFNG could prevent HSV‐1 reactivation in a mouse model.
    • JDMT_176
      Hi Kurdt- I was thinking back in 2018-2019 there was several threads from viral frog that he was applying a 2% solution very frequently. Like several times a week. From what I gather- it didnt work for him at the time. I think too much applied caused immune chaos or something.  The most recent Square X trial was terminated but this was the dosing frequency that was used in the trial below: I was planning on using Group C protocol. Group A is most frequent. Something to think about.  https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT03521479?term=squarex&draw=1&rank=4   Protocol:  Arm/Group Title Group A Group B Group C Group D  Arm/Group Description Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and with 2% SADBE on the visits at week 3, week 6, week 9, and month 8. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and with 0.5% SADBE on the visits at week 3, week 6, week 9, and month 8. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0, month 3, and month 6. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and month 6. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months).   Adverse Reaction Table: Arm/Group Title Group A Group B Group C Group D  Arm/Group Description: Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and with 2% SADBE on the visits at week 3, week 6, week 9, and month 8. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and with 0.5% SADBE on the visits at week 3, week 6, week 9, and month 8. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0, month 3, and month 6. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Treated with 2% Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester (SADBE) on day 0 and month 6. Squaric Acid Dibutyl Ester: Repeat topical application of 2% and 0.5% squaric acid dibutyl ester (SADBE) in subjects with frequent herpes labialis (4 or more episodes in the previous 12 months). Overall Number of Participants Analyzed 10 10 10 10 Measure Type: Number Unit of Measure: events         Localized reaction (rash, erythema, itching/pruritus, warmth/burning) at application site 24 14 17 6 Generalized adverse events (related, possible or greater) 2 3 1 0 Generalized adverse event (unrelated) 4 7 6 4  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.