EM424

Menopause and HSV2

20 posts in this topic

Looking to connect with women over 50 who have experienced HSV 2 and menopause.

I had a complete hysterectomy at 48 and was thrown into full blown over night. Have had gHSV2 since 26. 

Hi (again),

Did you experience more OBs during menopause?

:longhug:

E

Yes. My chemistry completely changed, but then the surgery did not help so I may not be the best example for you going through natural menopause. I have read hormones play an important part so perhaps searching the correlation to see if it rings true for you.

That would be me and I have had this virus 30 years now.  What do you want to know?

On 4/7/2016 at 1:44 PM, EM424 said:

Looking to connect with women over 50 who have experienced HSV 2 and menopause.

Hey EM, I too had a hysterectomy at 40's but didn't get into meno until late 40's. I've had more outbreaks scares then ever before and i am 53 now. They seem to feel like an obvious outbreak coming on but never fully develop into a full outbreak, just burns and tingles in the vag areas and buttocks area. I have ghsv2 for decades and i am married so no sexy times when i feel them. I just take 1000 mgs for the few days and they seem to go away :) . I kept my older scripts filled so i now have a 6 months supply.  Stress is still my biggest trigger and these days stresses are running high :( . Hope this helps to know you are most certainly not alone in this newest phase (meno-land) , it really does suck to hell and back. Life is funny like that I guess. Truly, Aces 

oldgal, EM424 and Ruby4shoes like this

Women get obs with their periods and have tried st johns wort which seems to help.  But you need to be able to take it as it interacts with other meds. Id see a naturopath to be honest or look at natural supps for menopause

Ruby4shoes likes this

AcesHeart you echo my situation almost exactly in terms of outbreaks/symptoms, and your general comments!  I posted comments on the 40+ before I found an "even more distinguished" age thread here lol, so not to keep repeating the same things - but you summed it all up pretty darn well I thought!  Hope you are doing well now, I see these threads are pretty old (like some of us :D).   

Ruby4shoes likes this

Hey girls. I'm on,y 33 but may need a hysterectomy die to three large Fibriods. I've had surgery to shrink them a few years ago but they just seem to come have :( I'm very worried about the surgery causing more OBs for me, I get bad vagional burning as it is, would you guys say put up with the horrible cramps and bleeding or should I risk getting the hysterectomy and hoping that my OBs don't increase?  

Snow angel if it was me (which it isn't) I would get the hysterectomy and take my chances on the OBs. You know for a fact the hysterectomy will help you. You may or maybe not have more OBs. Or think in terms of cost to your emotion and physical self.  Which drains you more? The horrible bleeding and cramps or an outbreak?  It's a tough decision but you already know what you should choose. Trust yourself.

Thanks so much for your help!  it sure is a lot to think about! 

Ruby4shoes likes this

You go on antivirals if you get an ob at any rate.  It will not be as bad as your first so i would do what you need.  Short term ob inconvenience for long term benefit

Snow Angel, I wouldn't know how to advise either way - I wouldn't go for the op as I am the most lily-livered chicken on the planet with such things!  I had fibroids, a whole forest of them I was told(!), but they didn't cause me any real problems and the doctors told me they would shrink away come menopause time.  That is happening now, and I only have one tiny one left.  However, in your case, you may have to think about the op as you are obviously having more problems than I did - plus you have a way to go before menopause!  It's a tough call, and I wish you good luck whatever you decide to do. 

SnowAngel likes this

I am going through menopause and had my first outbreak recently .  I am not sure what the future holds for me as far as outbreaks.  I was put on anti virals for a month and will be put on for a longer term if I have another outbreak within six months.  The mixture of menopause symptoms and outbreak symptoms is a bit overwhelming at times.  

EM424 likes this

8 hours ago, Desert Bloom said:

I am going through menopause and had my first outbreak recently .  I am not sure what the future holds for me as far as outbreaks.  I was put on anti virals for a month and will be put on for a longer term if I have another outbreak within six months.  The mixture of menopause symptoms and outbreak symptoms is a bit overwhelming at times.  

I dont envy you.  As I mentioned before if you can I believe St John's Wort can help with hormonal type issues.  I had an IUD put in a few years ago and I'm hoping that I will skip the whole menopause symptoms phase

I'm not sure if anyone else going through menapause here also has vaginal atrophy or not but between that and my first ob it was a miserable month.  I had been avoiding use of hormones up until that point but have now started hormone therapy.  I think both issues were just aggravating each other .   I have also been trying to adjust my diet and eat healthier. Being at the beginning of all this it's hard to know where to start .

EM424 likes this

For me, menopause is a million times worse than herpes!  Trouble is, the multitude of menopause symptoms and the stress they cause bring on more frequent outbreaks, as any kind of stress for me is the number one catalyst.  I haven't had a single undisturbed night's sleep in the last 6 years, no exaggeration, and so of course this has a knock-on effect everywhere else.  I refuse to take hormones and I don't like to use antivirals for long periods either, so I feel sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Shortly I will be starting on a course of natural treatment for the herpes, which hopefully might also make me feel healthier generally and perhaps help with the menopause. I will keep this site posted with any positive results!

EM424 likes this

On July 28, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Acesheart said:

Stress is still my biggest trigger and these days stresses are running high :( . Hope this helps to know you are most certainly not alone in this newest phase (meno-land) , it really does suck to hell and back. 

I couldn't have said it better myself!

There are so many things people say helps with menapause and with herpes suppression it's hard to know where to start .  I am assuming it's all just trial and error until we find what works best with our bodies .  I hope you get positive results with your natural treatment your starting.