World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Flowers123

Hsv1 compared to hsv2

Flowers123

Why is it that cold sores is a normal acceptance, there are adds on the tv providing information about what cream to use to get rid of it etc.... But not hsv2.   It's the same virus but just in a different place. 

How can you tell someone that you have it and is it easy?  I am going on a date with a guy this week, and all I can think about is what I have.  I feel like I'm wasting his time, and there's no point in trying.  It's so different now. I feel like how can anybody want to be with me if they don't have it?  

Someone told me they had it before I got it and I ran away. 

JBnATL

Good luck on your date.  Don't ever feel that you are a lesser person because you have this virus.  90% of all adults have it in one form or another.  What you have is a very common, mostly harmless virus, nothing more.

There is a great section of this website "The Secret to our Success" it has hundreds of posts from people who thought like you do, that no one would ever want them, and they ended up finding someone who did not care.  Personally I have disclosed a dozen times and have NEVER been rejected.  Here is a link to a post I made about how I give the 'talk'.

Good luck!

JB

Flowers123

Thanks, I just know my reaction as Iv only been told once and then broke it off with him.....

where do I see this the secret of success? 

None of the info web pages work.... 

Edited by Flowers123

Flowers123

Thanks, one more question..... There is hsv1 cold sores and genital herpes and hsv2 genital herpes right? So getting genital herpes from a cold sore is hsv1 genital?  I'm so confused about this all....

if that's correct, is there a difference in hsv1. &2 genital? 

Flowers123

Ops I think I posted this in the wrong area..... This website is not the easiest...

JBnATL

Hi there;

hsv1 and hsv2 are almost identical.  The only real difference is their site of preference.  Hsv1 prefers to be oral and hsv2 prefers to be genital.  You can get hsv2 oral but that is very rare.  You can also get hsv1 genital and that is actually how most people now get genital herpes.  The good news is if you get them in the site that they DON'T prefer you will rarely suffer from outbreaks and spreading them from that location is almost impossible.  In fact, some doctors tell their patients who have ghsv1 that they don't have to disclose because it is so rare to spread from that location.

I hope this helps!

JB

LillianPanos

Flowers iwas jus dignised with h 2. Met a guy we've been dating about 1 month haven't been intimite yet so I have not told him yet. Not that im waiting for that but he seems to want to take it slow. So im enjoying him and taking it one day at a time. I will tell him soon.

Flowers123

So what your saying is that hsv1 genitals ( I got it from a guy with a cold sore during oral) that it's not as contagious as if I had gotten it from his penis? 

So it's harder to spread it from my body to someone else's body?

i haven't had anyone to ask at all so thanks very much......

Flowers123

Hi Lillian, 

maybe he wants to take it slow for the same reason as you? 

I wish you all the best in mentioning it ......  Plz let me know how it goes.... Iv never told anyone 

LillianPanos

Flowers i sent you a personal message ck your mail...

meg988
On 4/25/2016 at 7:58 AM, JBnATL said:

Hi there;

hsv1 and hsv2 are almost identical.  The only real difference is their site of preference.  Hsv1 prefers to be oral and hsv2 prefers to be genital.  You can get hsv2 oral but that is very rare.  You can also get hsv1 genital and that is actually how most people now get genital herpes.  The good news is if you get them in the site that they DON'T prefer you will rarely suffer from outbreaks and spreading them from that location is almost impossible.  In fact, some doctors tell their patients who have ghsv1 that they don't have to disclose because it is so rare to spread from that location.

I hope this helps!

JB

can someone confirm this, i received hsv1 genitally from oral, but if someone goes down on me they are highly unlikely to get it? what is the likelihood %?

WilsoInAus
33 minutes ago, meg988 said:

can someone confirm this, i received hsv1 genitally from oral, but if someone goes down on me they are highly unlikely to get it? what is the likelihood %?

Yes it is correct becaus the HSV-1 virus rarely sheds in sufficient quantities to infect mouth or genitalia. 

The chances of transmission are about 1% chance in a year of oral sex!