World's Largest Herpes Support Group

Mellisuga

Hey all,

For anyone who is going through a tough time, I wanted to share this website - here are some exercises meant to help develop healthy habits and a healthier way to view oneself, by building something called self-compassion.

This website is based on the work of Dr. Kristin Neff, which draws inspiration from Buddhist meditation. She also has a few Ted Talks which I recommend watching. 

http://self-compassion.org/category/exercises/

Nurturing one's self-compassion is explained to be a better alternative to nurturing self-esteem because of the traits of narcissism and the judgement which can be inherent in having too high of a level of self-esteem. Self-compassion at its essence means treating yourself like you would treat a good friend, rather than treating yourself harshly.

These exercises tie in well with mindfulness meditation. Meditation works well for developing a more leveled response to stress, and managing your emotions. Marsha Lucas also wrote a book on the benefits of mindfulness meditation in relationships in the book "Rewire your brain for Love: Creating Vibrant Relationships Using the Science of Mindfulness" where she speaks about meditation changing the way your brain works over time to give you a pause before your fear induced responses.

In this file, Lucas speaks a bit about basic meditation: http://rewireyourbrainforlove.com/downloads/Mindfulness_Meditation.mp3

Kristin Neff also has a Ted Talk where she speaks about self-compassion.

Edited by Mellisuga

SureWhyNot

I would like to toss in Ho'oponopono. I pulled this link as an example as it has a nice explanation.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/070701imsorryiloveyoujoevitale

There are many things in this world we cannot explain so why not give them a try when it is something as simple as saying and meaning words such as... I am sorry! I Love You! Please Forgive Me! Thank You!

We are who and what we believe we are!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• ATWD85
      By ATWD85
      Hi, all! A bit of a long read here, but definitely appreciate advice from anyone who has the time to give it!

I disclosed my genital HSV-1 to the wonderful man I'm dating about a month ago, and he took the news better than I could have hoped for. We have not had sex yet, and because I really care about him, I wanted to make sure I shared my status with him before we did. (Note: this is the first time I've disclosed to a partner since my last relationship and my first partner since that relationship in general.) 

Not only did my status not turn him off from me (I disclosed via letter sent by email and he was grateful for my honesty/wanted to talk face-to-face the next day), but the conversation has brought us closer in terms of openness and intimacy. Both of us have scheduled doctors appointments. He'll be going for a general checkup and STD testing, and I'll be refilling my antiviral prescription. He has done a significant amount of research since our initial conversation and has asked many questions. He genuinely wants to explore ways in which we can be physically intimate while protecting himself and making sure I still feel sexy, which I appreciate very much. He says I'm very special to him.

As it nears time for us to give sex a try for the first time, however, I'm finding myself feeling anxious. Since this is the first time I'll be having sex with someone since my last relationship, which ended a little over two years ago, it's really just now hitting me how different sex will be in terms of freedom. I fear the limitations (he has expressed his preference not to perform oral sex on me, despite it being one of his favorite things, which I understand and respect) may have a strain on our relationship down the line, and I want to be able to satisfy him to the best of my ability, despite not being able to have sex as "freely" as I was once able to.

Though he says my status doesn't scare him and he cares about me very much, part of me feels like he may also be more afraid than he's revealing to me, which I also understand. He did admit that when I initially gave him the news, he felt as if it was "unfair" (i.e. he finally met a woman who's perfect for him, but he doesn't have as much access to her sexually because of her status). He says he realized how selfish this was before he ultimately decided he still wanted to move forward in our relationship. 

He's brought up things like wearing boxer briefs during sex and spraying down with rubbing alcohol during times "we're not so sure" because apparently rubbing alcohol "kills" the virus on the surface of the skin (I've never read anything backing this up, so not sure how accurate it is, and also feel he's overreacting a bit/doing a bit much in this regard). While I understand his right and desire to be as careful as possible, it admittedly has stirred up some insecurity, and I've been struggling with self-esteem a bit. I know finding our groove won't be easy, but I also strongly feel it will be worth it in the end if I can work through everything I'm feeling. I trust he means what he says when he says he cares and finds me insanely attractive.

Is anyone else struggling with is or has anyone struggled with this previously? Would it be worth it to express these feelings to him? I became overwhelmed and ended up crying on his chest the other day during a conversation about how we were going to protect each other. Not only do I *not* want to pass this along to him (and I know the risk is inevitable), but I also really want this to work. He's both a partner and one of my closest friends.

Thanks for reading!
    • CasperTheGhost
      By CasperTheGhost
      Hello. Just signed up today because I didn't know where else to turn, so here goes nothing. I had my first sexual partner in almost over a year a couple weeks ago and we irresponsibly had unprotected penetration. On Saturday morning I noticed something was wrong and began searching online for an answer. After some searching, I figured it was a yeast infection and treated it accordingly. It only took a day or two for me to come to terms with the fact that it wasn't a yeast infection but something worse and the Internet agreed with me.
      I have not officially been diagnosed but I'm not fooling myself here and have an appointment to confirm what I already know on Tuesday. I'm in quite a bit of pain but I'm sticking it out and doing home remedies to help speed up the healing of what I can only call my first OB.... I've told my partner who I clearly contracted it from and one close friend who is being supportive. But I can't help but feel disgusting and unattractive which I'm not used to because I am normally a very self assured and confident person. 
      I'm just looking for someone with a similar experience. I'm 18 and feel like my life has come to a grinding halt.
    • Mellisuga
      By Mellisuga
      Hey all,
      For anyone who is going through a tough time, I wanted to share this website - here are some exercises meant to help develop healthy habits and a healthier way to view oneself, by building something called self-compassion.
      This website is based on the work of Dr. Kristin Neff, which draws inspiration from Buddhist meditation. She also has a few Ted Talks which I recommend watching. 
      http://self-compassion.org/category/exercises/
      Nurturing one's self-compassion is explained to be a better alternative to nurturing self-esteem because of the traits of narcissism and the judgement which can be inherent in having too high of a level of self-esteem. Self-compassion at its essence means treating yourself like you would treat a good friend, rather than treating yourself harshly.

• Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • @lw@ys
      I usually stick to 16-18 hour fasts daily. It helps me. 
    • iFdUp
      To all the people estimating 2023 for human trials of what Dr Jerome is working on, we really have to see.  Depending on what is happening right now about that 90% delivery to the SCG and the 50% to TG.  As soon as it is considered an effective cure in mice it will move to a greater animal.  The time to determine results of the mice testing was at most around 45~ days per test grouping. It may be longer for greater animals but I doubt it would be much longer.  If the same level of efficacy is found in the greater animals it may progress to clinic much faster. It may even be granted access to certain people with rare cases of lethal herpes, anything is possible. 
    • Focri
      Same... on everything. I hated when i saw that the CDC thought It wouldn’t change people’s behavior, therefore, no testing. Screw that. When I was tested before the last relationship I was in, they didn’t even tell me what was Not being tested for. I just assumed all the common or dangerous ones.  However, my ex used it to her advantage and actually used it as a weapon so we would be “stuck together” she would often say happily, and now she’s even denying she has it (accused me) and she wont get tested, leading me to believe this is a strategy of hers - saying she got tested, but keeping the HSV off the books. Psycho  Will be taking her to court for sexual assault soon as she aggressively pursued sex, forcing herself on me as she stripped, and resulting in a disgusting situation of me not interested and her looking back on it often saying, “ive never cum so much.”  I stopped dating for years trying to get life together, and this fuckingNot testing bullshit is beyond stupid considering all of the serious health complications from HSV1 and 2. 
    • LightafterDarkness
      Thanks @WilsoInAus   Day +43: Another inspection from the doctor and he is not seeing anything; also a dermatologist in the clinic takes a look. Doctor also is skeptical that cut on left butt check is anything to be concerned about. In the evening itchiness appears but its not too bad- i have noticed that perhaps the area is tender from the previous pain so any sort of touching sets off itchnyess. Speak with Doc and plan is to do a blood test around the 10 week mark. Im also down to 1g/day for Val and will be complete on Sunday. Day +44: itchyness continues but it comes and goes.
    • LightafterDarkness
      Looks like the fundraiser just passed the $25k mark. At some point this money starts to become really meaningful (e.g., $50k may pay for one additional person to work in the lab etc). Also its a signal from the community that there is alot of interest in a cure via gene therapy. http://engage.fredhutch.org/site/TR?px=1709211&fr_id=1574&pg=personal    

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.