World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Scubagirl0325

Brand New to this, please please help

Scubagirl0325

Hi everyone....I'm incredibly new to all of this....I just found out today that I have GHSV-1. I have only had two mosquito bite size stinging itchy bumps, no open sores at all. I'm still in shock and this hasn't sunken in yet. I have been reading things all over the internet all day about different treatments. My doctor started me on Valtrex daily but I want to do all I can. I keep reading about strengthening your immune system by taking vitamins, mainly Lysine, Vitamin C and Zinc. I was wondering if anyone has done this or had any luck with anything else. I am terrified that this is going to become a huge horrible problem in my life and right now I'm desperate for someone to discuss this with who actually knows something about it! Any input would be greatly appreciated....please help.

ThisStinks

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have had genital herpes for 5 years now. In the beginning they can be frequent but they definitely subside as the years go by. It wont be a big problem in your life it will just be a discomfort at times. Dont let it get you down. There is a huge percentage of the population with HSV virus. Ive heard great things about all of the herbs you mentioned. Mostly lysine. Good luck and keep your head up.

MsLucy

Welcome, Scubagirl.

As far as strengthening your immune system goes, it seems like everyone has their own concoction of herbs and supplements that they swear by. It's so confusing, I stopped trying to keep up with it a long time ago. Lysine does seem to be really popular, and many people have had success in keeping ob's at bay with it. Personally, I opted to try Neem leaf capsules (sold at vitamin stores and on-line) and a regular multi-vitamin, and I have had good results. It's simple, inexpensive, no negative side effects, and easily acquired. The thing is to find what works for you, but whatever you decide to try, do it safely. More is not always better, and even 'natural supplements' can be harmful if abused. Don't get caught up in a knee-jerk reaction of "OMG!... I have to do something fast!!", and go overboard. This is not life and death.

Remember, HSV does not require any treatment at all. The Valtrex you're taking might inhibit your ob's and possibly make them less severe, but it's not a cure. It's your immune system that will actually fight the virus by producing antibodies, and that's why you read so much about strengthening your immune system. Even just eating right, exercising and getting enough rest will go a long way in keeping you well, though.

Take a deep breath and try to calm down. HSV will only become a huge problem in your life if you let it. Granted, there are going to be times when it's an obstacle, but whether it's a mountain or a speed bump is up to you to decide. Once the initial shock passes and you calm down a little (and you will... we all do), things will get easier, and you'll realize that your life isn't over. Altered in some ways, yes, but not over.... not by by a long shot.

There is a ton of good info on this site and in the forum posts. Knowledge is your friend, so read up on the subject, but remember that a lot of the pictures and descriptions you encounter on the web are worst-case scenarios that I think they put out there just to scare the bejeebers out of people. I know it scared me at first. :shock:

Let us know how you're doing, and if you have any questions or just need to 'talk', jump in anytime. There are lots of really nice people here to help you through this, and we've all been (or are) right where you are now. It will get better, though. Promise.

Scubagirl0325

Thank you

Thank you both so much for your comforting words. I've felt so scared, lost, alone, etc. this past week. This forum has helped me so much knowing there are people out there to talk to and get real experienced answers from. My first OB is finally going away and I am going to do everything in my power to keep it that way. I don't want to get overly hopeful, but this one was relatively mild compared to some stories I have read on here, so I'm hoping they will continue to get easier and easier to deal with.

Again, you don't realize how comforting having people reply to my posts actually is. Someone simply taking a little time to write something calms me down so much. Thank you again.

alfalfa

Why the worst-case scenarios?

Why are all the photos/descriptions so awful, if most people don't even have symptoms? Even the photos posted by the web site that hosts this forum are totally horrifying -- nothing like my infection or that of scubagirl, from the sound of it.

I was getting all optimistic about the stats, the diminishing symptoms, the info that initially made me so confident I could convince someone to see past this thing. Then I realized the first thing he'll do when I tell him is run a google-images search on herpes. No way can my reassurances compete with that visceral persuasion!

MsLucy

Sometimes I think it's actually intentional that they do that as a deterent... you know, just to scare the hell out of people. Or as a punishment for people who suspect they might have something. (Yipes! This is what I get for being evil and promiscuous! I'm going to die!) That was satire, by the way. I know better. ;)

Personally, I think it's self-defeating and misleading that they don't show the realistic pictures of the average ob. I mean, when you look at those pictures and then look at what you have in comparison, you're going to think, "Well, I sure don't have that!!!" and cross it off your list of possibilities, then go merrily on your way in ignorance. That was my initial reaction. Fortunately, I knew I was at risk and went to the dr anyway.

Anyway, it's stupid, I agree.

Scubagirl0325

I did just that

I did exactly that! Looked at these horrible pictures online with my bf. We were both like, no way it's herpes, look at these pictures! All I have are a couple of itchy bumps. My doctor even told me I didn't have herpes. When I went to see her she told me herpes were huge oozing sores. I asked her if I should be worried about having that and she said no way, you do not have herpes. Yeah, well....three days later, she calls me and tells me I do. Thanks a lot pal....

Those pics are terrifying. I'm scared to have an OB like that. I also don't want anyone I'm potentially dating seeing them and thinking of me in that way....those are WORST CASE SCENARIOS....thanks a lot media, as usual, you blow everything way out of proportion....

alfalfa

Show this thread to bf

Yeah, Writer, I wondered if it was a pro-abstinence thing.

But it also occurs to me that only a very serious outbreak is photo-worthy. You can't really show people what herpes looks like with a picture of inivisble herpes. I just wish the captions would point out how unusual it is: "Severe herpes outbreak." "Severe genital sores, HSV." Even the cold sores pictures are nastier than anything I've ever seen, and they don't make any moral case.

My gyno didn't believe my one spot was herpes either - and the swab test came back negative. Blood test was positive. Talk about a tease!

If I get objections/horror from anyone I tell, I'm showing this thread to them.

Based on the reactions of the two people I've told (source partner and best friend), here are the misconceptions I'd most like to reverse, in no particular order:

1 - The outbreak is as bad as the pictures.

2 - The sores don't go away (I think people believe that bc we all were taught there is no cure for the virus itself)

3 - The risk of transmission is 100%

4 - It's rare

5 - Type 1 and type 2 are vastly different

I'm not even counting the misconceptions of people who don't know me and might assume there's a washed-up hooker just waiting to jump out of my healthy, professional, moral, intelligent exterior. But I don't really care about them bc they'll never know I have hsv anyway.

It's.no.biggie!
... Even the photos posted by the web site that hosts this forum are totally horrifying -- nothing like my infection or that of scubagirl, from the sound of it. ....

Yeah, what the hell?! I had never looked at the pics on this site, and only did so after reading this thread. I'm offended that a site that aims to promote awareness would be so careless. Talk about things that pissed me off today :evil:

Oh, and my doctor did the same thing, scubagirl!!! "I'm sure you don't have herpes," a week later, "so, they found your herpes." And those were his exact words, by the way, they found them, lol.

HC-Support-Team

Comments about our website

I'm offended that a site that aims to promote awareness would be so careless. Talk about things that pissed me off today

Sorry to hear that you feel that way... we do try our best and of course have many improvements (including this one) that are in the pipeline to be done.

The current photographs that we have links to are available as a general resource and consist mainly of photographs which are taken during the "primary" outbreak - which of course does not apply to every case and is normally much more intense than a recurrent outbreak.

It is understood and respected that many of us have mild symptoms which consist of symptoms more similar to a tear, cut, pimple, rash, etc - we will try to find some more photos of this nature soon.

We will try to source some mild representations (clinical photos or otherwise), this is one update that we have on the cards to do.

Shenda

alfalfa

fix it soon

Seriously -- Fix it, and SOON. At least put some realistic captions on them. Call them "very severe," or take them down. Most people go straight for the art and bypass the paragraphs and paragraphs of fine print. They don't even realize the conditions in those pics are TEMPORARY. No one questions that y'all KNOW outbreaks can be mild -- you're the experts. But those pictures completely reaffirm the maggot-laden puss volcano images they showed us in sex ed -- right after they propped this relatively minor inconvenience up next to HIV. Those pics make it a lot harder to explain this to the uninfected; disclaiming them is practically the lead in my disclosure speech. Worst of all, they scare the living sh*t out of the newbies we're trying to calm down -- especially when NOWHERE on the Web is there a picture of a more typical infection. Let's see some handsome rods and pretty birds today!

Anon

I have ghsv1 too. You can look ay my profile to see my posts on it. I was infected last year. I have had 2 outbreaks, including the first. My second outbreak was much worse after experiencing no symptoms for 7 months. I think this was due to high-dose, long-term antibiotics, plus eatting lots of nuts and going on vacation to a tropical location. I think hsv1 reactivates after being exposed to the sun.

I think ghsv1 comes back 2 times a year the first 1-5 years and then reoccurs much less frequently.

Good luck. You will be ok.

Anon

Oh, I would also be very grateful if the powers that be woould post some pics that portray moderate and mild herpes. Maybe one pic could just show redness and swelling and another could show a fissure (cut) and yet another could show a small red sore smaller than half of a pencil eraser top. Every site only displays the very worst of the worst. I know these cases exist, but it would be nice to give the world an truthful representation.

Lol, I could even send a pic if need be.

HC-Support-Team

Please send us your photos!

The images on one of the main herpes picture websites that we refer people to (http://www.herpes-coldsores-treatment-pictures.com) are mainly clinical photographs taken by universities who are performing studies on the herpes virus. We will try to make a section on our website which features more mild cases - but it is not as easy as it sounds.

If anyone would like to help and contribute their photographs to us we will begin a new section on our website with images that reflect other typical and more mild symptoms.

The image's source will be confidential, however, information such as your sex, age, the location of the infection and the strand will be helpful if possible. And any other details if you want to share, such as how long you have had the infection, the day of the cycle, etc. Whatever you like.

Please Send Us Your Photos so we can begin creating a better, more fair representation of what herpes can look like.

Thank you to anyone who is willing to help,

Shenda

P.S. Yes we are serious!