Can recurring outbreaks look like pimples/zits?

thebear123

I haven't had any cold sores or herpes looking blister appear on my mouth. However, Ive been getting better a lot of pimples due to the heat and sweat while I sleep (hot country). 

the other day I was sitting down and relaxing when I suddenly felt a strong tingling feeling over the left corner on my lip. It wasn't on the lil but in the space over it. The feeling lasted maybe thirty minutes or longer but in that span of time that area went from clear to a singular, pimple. The next day it was a white head with a dark center. It was not in a cluster, but another singular pimple appeared over if, but not connected.

Can herpes present itself as a pimple or can acne/pimples tingle?

happy to answer more questions to clarify any thing I missed 

7 hours ago, boricacid said:

Doesn't sound like herpes to me.  The white head suggests otherwise.  

Thank you for your response. It's been four days since that incident. The white head pimple is all but gone. There was a little crust over it but it brushed off yesterday with one gentle swipe of a finger. The "pimple" in question on top of it is still visible but is fading as well. 

Ive had pimple/zit scars last on my face for weeks but this seems to be going away fast. Everything seems like a OB except the fact that they looked like white heads. 

5 hours ago, thebear123 said:

Thank you for your response. It's been four days since that incident. The white head pimple is all but gone. There was a little crust over it but it brushed off yesterday with one gentle swipe of a finger. The "pimple" in question on top of it is still visible but is fading as well. 

Ive had pimple/zit scars last on my face for weeks but this seems to be going away fast. Everything seems like a OB except the fact that they looked like white heads. 

Ok, so next time anything like that even begins to form, you may, if you wish, go to a doctor and ask (or demand, if necessary) a herpes culture.  Then, if you'd like, you can get a herpes IgG blood test, as well.  Herpes does present atypically, but I'm still very unconvinced that you have HSV, given your description.  If you do, you don't have it genitally.  Countless people have oral HSV-1.  No biggie. 

7 hours ago, Queenbeevivian said:

Thats wat mine look like just a pimple and it hurts

Really? Could you describe your outbreaks? How high on your pain scale would you say? When I press on mine it feels like I'm pressing a pimple but it isn't excruciating. 

Also, how long do the outbreaks last and do you experience any prodrome symptoms?

2 hours ago, boricacid said:

Ok, so next time anything like that even begins to form, you may, if you wish, go to a doctor and ask (or demand, if necessary) a herpes culture.  Then, if you'd like, you can get a herpes IgG blood test, as well.  Herpes does present atypically, but I'm still very unconvinced that you have HSV, given your description.  If you do, you don't have it genitally.  Countless people have oral HSV-1.  No biggie. 

I'm out of the country now and it's been three months since my last IgG (tested negative for both 1 and 2). 

Ive experienced tingling in my urethra too (original site of infection according to Doctor I saw back then) so I guess it spread to my oral area too during the incident. 

Really? Could you describe your outbreaks? How high on your pain scale would you say? When I press on mine it feels like I'm pressing a pimple but it isn't excruciating. 

Also, how long do the outbreaks last and do you experience any prodrome symptoms

It hurts like a pimple kinda stings.  Yes i am still learning my body since this is new but ill get tingling or a weird feeling on the outside of my labia

1 hour ago, Queenbeevivian said:

Also, how long do the outbreaks last and do you experience any prodrome symptoms

It hurts like a pimple kinda stings.  Yes i am still learning my body since this is new but ill get tingling or a weird feeling on the outside of my labia

Ah I see. I'm sorry about that. Thankfully we can support each other through this.

Is it just a singular pimple that sits on its on red spot, filled with a white pus? Or are there multiple pimples close to each other? How bi are they and do they hurt when you touch them? Do they hurt the entire time they are there?

sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying be as informed as possible. Thank you

1 hour ago, Queenbeevivian said:

Looks like just one and no they dont hurt the entire time, usually gone in about 3 to 4 days.  No worries with the questions were all here for each other. 

Dang that must be what I have then. You must've swabbed it to confirm it was HSV, huh? Is it 1 or 2?

Do you have any photos? I tried to take one of mine but my camera phone doesn't pick up the detail well.

Same here my camera doesnt pick up the details, they r very small almost like the tip of a pin and looking at it w my eyes barely looks like anything is there. But i can feel it. Mine is hsv 1, got it from oral sex. It doesnt cause much problems,  but it seems like i get 1 tiny one every 3 to 4 weeks which im confused abt bc i should have some kind of my own antibodies build up from oral hsv

2 hours ago, Queenbeevivian said:

Same here my camera doesnt pick up the details, they r very small almost like the tip of a pin and looking at it w my eyes barely looks like anything is there. But i can feel it. Mine is hsv 1, got it from oral sex. It doesnt cause much problems,  but it seems like i get 1 tiny one every 3 to 4 weeks which im confused abt bc i should have some kind of my own antibodies build up from oral hsv

Interesting. Well first off, I'm sorry this happened to you. Again, it's a good thing we both found this website for support and knowledge.

If I can find a way to get even a half decent photo next time it occurs, I'll message it to you or share it. It's interesting how ours has a seemingly "less common" presentation— it's like our partner just thought they had acne or something like it.

What tests did you take? PCR? IgG

June 4th was my date of exposure. About two weeks later, he said he saw a small, shallow ulcer and told me I had HSV. He prescribed me Acyclocvir 400mg 3x day. I took 2 generic pills before I got a PCR swab that night. That came back negative. I took the igG a few days after and that came back negative for both strains as well. However, I've been experiencing the tingling in both my urethra (twice - once a month at the beginning) then once on the corner of my lip on Sunday before I posted this. 

• 2 years later...

Hi. I have these exact same symptoms on my lip

Usually associated with prodrome they are often a single very small white head that often does not break out of the skin before dissapearing

I have only had one major outbreak that I can remember, the rest of the time I simply get these sort of prodromes with a very small whitehead.

There frequency does not seem to change with antivirals, infact I have been on suppressive therapy and while my genital herpes has improved I am still getting constant oral prodromes.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Single ➵ You may like to try the Dating App

• Similar Content

• BookMonster
      By BookMonster
      Hello, I found this website when trying to figure out if a rash I have is herpes or not.
      The reason herpes came to mind is that my boyfriend got "diagnosed" with genital herpes last summer. The reason I put it in quotation marks is that there was no swab taken. He described a mild rash to a nurse who ensured him it was herpes, and didn't even want to take a look at his genitals. He convinced her to look and she took a quick glance and said again that it was "hsv type 2." So just a very unprofessional response, based on little evidence. She gave him a short course of antiviral and that rash quickly disappeared for him and he has never had another outbreak.

I found that I had a rash on my mons pubis early yesterday. I wanted to ask here for your opinion because this board seems very friendly and ready to help. And I'm calling my GP tomorrow to try and get an appointment but because of Corona they have been more busy than usual, so I'm worried I might not get an appointment while I have the rash. 

I'm 26 and this would be my first herpes outbreak if this is herpes. I've never had symptomatic cold sores that I know of. At first I thought it definitely herpes, because of my boyfriend's "diagnosis" but after looking through photos and reading more about herpes I became more unsure. During a shower I cut my pubic hair to see the rash better. It was all red and spread over the area pictured.  It was sore and burning before the shower and after, but I had been scratching before, and cutting the hair during the shower. and But then in the late evening it had "scaled" over and looked quite frankly like seborrheic dermatitis, with no itching. I have dealt with that condition in my scalp and face for a couple of years but had never experienced in my genital area. In my scalp and face it often itches a lot if I have not showered for a couple of days (i have clinical depression) and then burns after the shower. 

Here is a picture of the rash with "scales" on my mons pubis. This is probably around an inch in length. This picture is taken about 24 hours after I noticed the rash. Then it was much redder and burning. 

Picture of several stages of seborrheic dermatitis from the internet. It can be quite painful.

I really, really want to hear the opinion of you the knowledgeable people of Honeycomb, just in case I won't be able to see a doctor while I have the rash. 
    • whereismyanswer
      By whereismyanswer
      Hello there. I'm a 24F, who has  had HSV 1 for 3 and a half years now. I got my first cold sore December of 2016 out of no where when I was 21. I was in school and working at a job that had me very stressed at all time. I came home one day and saw the bumps. Initially, I'd never thought anything of it as my dad always had them when I was growing up. Of course, you go on Google and after about 20 minutes of searching, you are absolutely devastated and disgusted with yourself.
      The first year after my 1st outbreak, I'd occasionally experience some shedding, but didn't get another breakout until the following year. Since that outbreak, I've pretty much steadily had cold sores every month for the last 2 and a half years. I was told birth control would help, because I was noticing outbreaks begin about a week before my cycle. Didn't change anything though.
      Earlier this year, I finally decided it was time to start suppressive therapy, given the fact that I had no success with natural remedies or hormone leveling using the birth control. I've seen no changes in the frequency of my cold sores since starting 1GM of Valcyclovior. It's been about 3 months, and I met with my doctor today to discuss the issue. She basically told me there was nothing she could do and to see a dermatologist. She also gave me the list of vitamins I already to take to try to include with my daily antiviral. I feel completely defeated. I don't know what to do now or if there is any hope. It hurts me so much because I'm so young and nothing has gotten better. Also, I don't think a dermatologist is the answer. Has anyone else experienced this?
    • LadyInPink
      By LadyInPink
      Does anyone have any advice about applying makeup and removing makeup if you have oral herpes? I'm finding it very difficult to not be wasteful with things like face powder, makeup brushes, tooth brushes and toothpastes, acne medications and moisturizers, and other items like that. I have a terrible fear of possibly spreading something all over my face, so any advice is appreciated. Thank you
    • Is this it
      By Is this it
      Hey everyone 

I had dry lips which then turned to a black spot you could say pic attached. It was there for a few days painless but was quite hard. 
      I put some oregano herbs on it as it was getting darker and peeling hard skin and it started to react and get watery I guess you could say. 

It now looks like this 2 days after applying the herb! The pharmacy said it’s not a cold sore and just reacted to what I put on it On top of a blocked gland or something 
      any ideas?? Please 

• Brownfaith
      By Brownfaith
      I had unprotected sex November 16th 2019. I tested positive for HSV2 on December 10th >5 (igg) , retested December 14 and now stated >13.80 (igg quest).
      Today is December 16th and I have yet to have any symptoms or lesions anywhere. HOWEVER, a Week later after exposure I had a sore throat to where drinking and swallowing was very painful for about a week. 
      I know she Has HSV2 because she told me (deceivingly too late) and I understand HSV2 is rare in the throat but could this be my case? I hope so. No initial OB on my genitals in 30 days since exposure with no medications.

p.s I still take no medication.

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• WilsoInAus
      @CHT my comments regarding your race and socio-economic status are not rude, sounds like they were accurate. I just want you to be aware that there is unconscious bias in your comments based on your perspective. Yes I stand by my comments that the US healthcare system is shameful. If that loses integrity in your eyes, then that is where you sit relative to the healthcare system and my public health philosophies. There is nothing shameful about expressing ones philosophies. Have I been antagonistic in the way I have expressed these things. Yes I have and I apologise for that. I think overall I was pretty shocked that you believed that the majority of infections were asymptomatic for the receiver. Your personal experience was quite the opposite and I admit I was perplexed why you didn't share your personal experience with someone who really wanted to hear a story of a true genital infection.
    • CHT
      "talking up the chances of infection"  What? Wilson, you are now making up dialogue that never occurred.  He asked about testing and when symptoms might manifest.... I answered his questions and then asked why he felt he may be infected?  You need to go back and read over the actual messages.... never once did I "talk up the chance of infection."  You have done a poor job of reading between the lines of my messages back to "Dumbass."  I suggested he may want to meet with a doctor to discuss his situation with the goal of alleviating his concerns about infection particularly since the little bit of information he provided would likely indicate he had a low chance of infection in my opinion.... hearing it from a medical professional, especially with testing, would help confirm this and give him peace of mind.   Wilson, what really surprises me is your last paragraph.  I have read many of your posts on this website over the last couple of years and have always held your opinions in high regard.... always well informed and you never resort to petty insults and bullying even when challenged.  However, your snide speculations about my race and socio-economic status are rude, unnecessary and clearly antagonistic.  Further, your remarks about the healthcare system in the US were clearly hostile, not to mention showing a gross ignorance of how healthcare works here.  Your statements were shameful.... lost integrity.    
    • WilsoInAus
      I'm sorry @CHT you did not give the full information. The chances are not high they will not have recognisable symptoms. And if they do not have recognisable symptoms, then what is the point of going to a doctor for a swab? It is your obligation to tell people their chances and they how arrive at the correct diagnosis through available tests. Are you aware of the psychological harm that you have probably caused by talking up the chance of infection. You didn't say that there would be 50% plus chance that the person did not have HSV-2 in the first place and that the episode was less than a 1 in 1,000 chance. What happened to those odds? What role do they play when you are interpreting symptoms or their absence? In life, you support someone by saying what they NEED to hear and not WHAT you know or want to say. Further, let me guess, white middle class? The bulk of the population cannot afford nor are granted access to health care in your country. Must be nice to be able to afford a clinical evaluation, but let's spare a though for those who can't afford that. All they can do is go with the odds and they are perfectly entitled to do that in their circumstances
    • ZealousidealAide7
      I know that it is not contagious, if that helps 
    • CHT
      "Simply because people think they are asymptomatic doesn't mean they are. When they go to a doctor for education and consciously on the lookout, there is a very high probability if they are infected they will find something." Absolutely true, no argument on the study you reference.  I am also aware of the clinical studies that have demonstrated that those who self-reported as "asymptomatic" when evaluated by medical professionals are made aware that they they aren't actually asymptomatic.  However, going back to the original question at hand as to whether those who are infected demonstrate recognizable symptoms, the answer is still (as per CDC, WHO, and other reliable sources):"Most individuals infected with HSV are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms that go unnoticed or are mistaken for another skin condition"   So, when someone comes to this site seeking advice and help when they suspect they are newly infected, we have an obligation to point out, as I did in this situation, that the chances are high that they may not have symptoms, or recognize any symptoms,  so, waiting to observe the classic symptoms (that they will no doubt look up online and find all sorts of photos showing "this is what a herpes outbreak looks like") will likely not detect those symptoms.... but, it does not mean they do not have the virus.  Obviously, most infected individuals won't have the benefit of weeks of clinical observation/testing to help them identify easily misidentified (or asymptomatic) symptoms..... these infected individuals will then move along thinking "I dodged the herpes bullet" and quite easily and unknowingly pass the virus on to others.  This occurs frequently when a person who does test positive confronts the person they believe gave them the "gift" and this gift-giver" vehemently denies having the virus since they have never had symptoms of herpes..... (which, again, is very likely as the CDC and WHO clearly point out).  Again, in the unlikely event this person were to enter into a clinical evaluation (as you referenced above), including testing/swabbing, they may find out otherwise.  This fact is one of the main reasons the virus continues to get passed along to others and the percentages of people becoming infected (particularly younger aged population) continues to increase. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.