World's Largest Herpes Support Group
asdfz

Spreading :(

asdfz

Hi, I got my first outbreak about a year ago.  I had it contained to my right butt cheek.  I stopped taking meds daily bc they made me feel weird.  I started taking them as needed.   Now, I noticed it's on my left butt cheek and I'm NOT having an OB on my right butt cheek.  Is it normal to get OBs in different spots at different times?  I thought it would be in the same spots every single time. My OBs aren't painful and I never have any heads up that it's coming.  Please help!

Free73

Hi there,

It is completely normal. Most people who get outbreaks will have them in more than one place over the life of the virus. It's a myth that the virus causes outbreaks in the same spot every time for the life of the virus. The virus is housed in the sacral ganglia. From there, it travels down the sacral and lumbar nerves to the skin. While there is thought that it prefers to travel down the same nerve to the same spot that the virus originally gained entry into the body, the truth is that it can choose any nerve to travel down and cause an outbreak in more than one place. I get outbreaks on my right butt cheek, my inner thigh and my penis, but never at the same time......it's always one spot or the other.

So don't panic, it hasn't spread and it is completely normal

cryptkeeper

Good information because I was wondering the same thing as I have had outbreaks in various areas and heard that some people get them in the same exact spot every time. 

asdfz

Also, does suppressive treatment really work?  I tried it for a few months but the pills made me feel dizzy so I stopped.  I'm at the point where I'd be willing to give it a try for a year if it will actually help me in the long run.  Any thoughts or experience with suppressive therapy?

WilsoInAus

Are you sure these are related to herpes and not staph or shingles? What blood testing have you had done and swabs?

Free73
4 hours ago, asdfz said:

Just to be clear, shaving had nothing to do with the spread?

Firstly, you need to understand that it doesn't 'spread'. Are we clear on that?

Secondly, recurrent outbreaks can happen anywhere along one of the sacral or lumbar nerves. That means it can appear on the buttocks, upper thigh or vagina/penis. Are we clear?

Thirdly, depending on your body, suppressives can be a great help or not much help at all. But if you notice that using them contributes to less outbreaks and reduce the severity of outbreaks then using them will help your body to keep the virus in check

Here is some info for you to read

http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/stdsstis/herpes/signs-symptoms/

Tiredmom96

Yes suppressive therapy can work wonders and works so much better taking it every day as opposed to taking it when you already have an OB.  

You might find the side effects lessen over time.