World's Largest Herpes Support Group
NewResearcher

Not sure where from here

NewResearcher

Less than a week ago I woke to discover an area of small blisters just on the fringe of my genital area, and possibly swollen lymph nodes on that side. Panicked, I called a friend who is a medical provider. Within hours I'd been tested and put on antivirals as a precaution. There are no signs or symptoms of anything internal and my cervix is clear. No other blisters developed. Two days later they called to tell me I had tested positive for HSV2.

I'd been married over a decade, separated a long time. In the midst of getting through that I haven't dated. I had a first new encounter sixteen days prior to developing the blisters, but there was limited exposure. I'd also had a bad cold a few days before the blisters and felt ill.

My medical provider says that while it is most likely a new exposure, I could have been a carrier previously. I was tested last year (out of fear, not symptoms) after I separated from my husband and was all clear - but it could have been a false negative since I'd never had an OB. The person I'd met recently said they are clear, but as it happened he had gone to be tested the day before I developed symptoms - I know I may never hear back with his results. My ex would lie about it if I approach him. My medical provider says there is really no way to know for sure where I contracted the virus and to move on.

So... I'm researching all I can. Trying to absorb and process all this new information. I'll stay on antivirals daily, and I'm looking for other ways to boost my immune system. I'm very glad to have found a community for knowledge and support.

Edited by NewResearcher
Spelling error

WilsoInAus

Hello @NewResearcher and welcome to the website, I feel sure you'll find at least some answers.

First, exactly what test did you have that has shown positive for HSV-2? Was it a swab test? Or a blood test for IgG or IgM antibodies? This will give quite a bit of information around timing of infection. Get prinouts of all the results as both the positives and negatives tell a story.

You mention a few people 'testing clear'. Please note that unless people explicitly ask for IgG antibody testing type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2 then this test will most probably not be provided. It is not a standard part of an STD panel or when you ask 'test me for STDs'.

NewResearcher

@WilsoInAus The tests I had previously included IgG and IgM because I requested it (again out of fear rather than symptoms). The most recent until last week was October 2015, just after my break-up. My provider says there is a 5% chance it could have been a false negative. My most recent tests also included a swab. 

I did ask the most recent partner if he's been specifically tested for HSV recently, but really have no way of confirming. My ex will lie if I ask - it is of no use at all - plus we've been separated over a year. My provider said to focus on moving on. This could have been acquired three weeks ago, or it could have been years. That the IgG may not have picked it up since I hadn't ever had an outbreak. My provider feels   it was the most recent partner - but said to focus instead on my health. That's my plan.

Edited by NewResearcher

WilsoInAus

That's great information.

An important point to note is that IgG testing will identify an infection whether or not an outbreak has occurred (or known of). Your immune system reacts to the presence of the virus. Hence if the virus is present, so will your IgG antibodies. HSV-2 IgG testing is very accurate in detecting antibodies. HSV-1 testing is not as accurate but accurate enough for recent infections.

Hence it is appropriate to conclude that your negative blood tests mean you were not infected genitally until recently.

When you add this to a first known outbreak that was swabbed positive (this is right?) then this is conclusive enough that the most recent partner is the source.

Are you saying the swab results were back in 2 days? If this was a culture swab, then it was most probably not typed, that was to quick to be able to type a culture. Ring them back and check if the swab was correctly typed using a subsequent test and if it wasn't then can they use the sample to do so. If there was oral sex involved with this partner, then it could be a 50/50 call as to which type.

NewResearcher

@WilsoInAus If it was the most recent partner I may not hear back anyway. It is what it is. If it was him I'm guessing he did not know, and is as surprised by this news as I am. 

It's been five days and all is clear. No sign anything was ever there. It never spread beyond the one spot. I feel fine. Based on others' stories I feel I have little to complain about. I just want to learn as much as I can to avoid further outbreaks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• abdull81
      By abdull81
      alsalam aliykom sisters and brothers
      im looking for 7alal inshaAllah .. i have been diagnosed hsv2 since 5 years ago .. my ex wife passed it to me .. i was 32 years old virgin man .. she was my first but ..alhamdulillah i
      believe that every thing happens for reason .. anyway
      im here seeking 7alal so we can complete and love each other .. may Allah make it easy for us to find our ways 

E mail:   mohammed_tempe@hotmail.com
    • KatJ
      By KatJ
      I was diagnosed almost a year ago and have always struggled to find an outlet or any support. I stumbled upon this site when researching a new rash. I’ve constantly struggled with dealing with my herpes, especially since I got it due to being raped.
      I hope to be able to talk to some people with similar experiences and problems. I have HSV1 in the genital region. Does anybody else deal with that as well? 
    • Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I was diagnosed with ghsv-1 about a month ago. I have been having problems with the lymph nodes in my neck. My outbreak on my genitals have cleared up so I am unsure why my lymph nodes are still in pain. Can I also have oral hsv-1? What should I do? 
    • Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I am new to the herpes world. I was diagnosed with ghsv-1 on May 17th. I was dating two guys at once (one I was sexually active with and someone else). The last person I had sex with, I am pretty sure he’s the one that gave it to me. I did disclose to all of my sex partners using text free because I was too embarrassed to reveal myself. But anyway, today I disclosed to the other guy I was seeing when I found out that I was gHSV-1 positive. We have been seeing one another one to two time a week and have planned basically our whole summer out. Even though he wanted to take it slow we are most definitely sexually attracted to one another and planned on having sex somewhere along the lines. This morning I decided to disclose via text that I have ghsv-1. I gave him some fact/transmission rates and have left everything in his hands. He’s currently at work and asked if it’ll be okay for him to call me when he gets off. Let’s see how this turns out. I am prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best. I will keep you guys posted.
    • Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I just found out that I have herpes a little over two weeks ago. I am pretty sure I know who I contracted it from, but that is neither here nor there. I was dating two people (only sexually active with one). I no longer converse with the guy who I’ve contracted this from, but kept in contact with the other guy, let’s call him PT and we’ve been hitting it off really well. Sex isn’t really on the table for us because we both said that we wanted to wait for sex until we get to know one another better because we don’t want to rush anything. I can see something more forming between the two of us even though it’s still new. I want to tell him now, but I also want to get to know him better before disclosing this to him. We have a couple of dates lined up. What should I do? Please help
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • viralfrog
      Little update again:  No improvements for me, still getting the same: constant redness on my penis, with tiny blisters forming as the old ones heal. This is together with continuous lethargy and a pulsating pain in my right groin lymph node. I also have sleeping problems, that are associated with the outbreaks. Usually, if the OB gets slightly better, I'll also sleep better. But right now, I wake up every morning too early like 6:30 feeling like my body is fighting something and I can't relax and sleep anymore. I get under 7 hours of sleep each night, but my body needs around 8-9 to feel normal. Unlike some others, I'm extremely sensitive to having enough sleep, which is also related to my heavy workouts. Of course it could be also the other way around, that I'm getting OBs because of poor sleep.  I went to get my bloods tested about a month ago and everything came back as normal (full blood count, thyroids etc.) but I found my vitamin D levels were low. I've been since spending a bit more time in the sun (normally avoid it) and eating a Vitamin D3 supplement daily (5000iu) without improvements to my OBs. I'm so disappointed, as I already got exited being onto something after finding that low Vitamin D-levels are associated inability of the body to fight viral diseases. Based on my research, 5000iu of D3 for several weeks should've definitely increased the levels by now, so I doubt that was the cause  . My testosterone and estradiol levels were also a bit high as I just changed testosterone medication, but I have confirmed in the past that this is not likely the cause.  My cortisol level was 17.3 ug% measured around 2pm (normal 3.7-19.4 ug% before 10AM, 2.9-17.3 ug% after 5PM). This could suggest that my cortisol levels are a bit high, but they are quite hard to measure and change during the day. I recall @IcantThinkofaName you suggested measuring these. Any comments? This was on a week day without any physical activities beforehand, except riding to the lab on a motorcycle in hot weather. Anyways, I can't really find any info on how to reduce these levels apart of relaxing more. For the record, I have tried quitting the gym completely (etc.).  I used some Xanax on the weekend which made me sleep well and feel much better. But obviously such addictive and strong benzodiazepine is not a long term solution. Next week I will try some cannabis to see if that helps with the sleep. I will get some indica strain and will vape it with a herbal vaporizer.  I will not give up the fight, next to try on the list: Confirm Vitamin D levels are back normal Quit whey protein for a week  Cannabis before bed  Amenalief at a higher dosage (200mg/day) Pritelivir from China Singles/varicella vaccine(?) ... any ideas welcome! 
    • Lost-hope
      If I could just piggy back off your idea and add a suggestion  how about with the same reasons you listed in your original statement, you / we start some type of petition or a mass email chain aimed at 60 minutes asking would they consider such a report ?
    • viralfrog
      That is interesting and I might try to stop it for a while or change brands. The thing is though, that I have been using whey protein daily for the last 10 years. I did change brand some time ago though to a pure, unflavoured whey isolate. I doubt that's the cause, but it's definitely worth a try. I'll see if I can find some alternatives for fast absorbing protein after my workouts. Maybe I can put chicken breast in the blender or similar.  I once tried this before I even hard Herpes and had a terrible side effect. It caused an itchy rash all over my groin.  Protected vaginal sex during days where my immunity was very low. Had been binge drinking on a party island.. but the condom broke, which is when I most likely caught the virus. 
    • Ali83
    • Joel7
      I don't think there's any awareness whatsoever of herpes in China. So I doubt it's a priority. Hopefully our western "awareness" won't spread to China any time soon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.