World's Largest Herpes Support Group
AVIAF

Several questions about personal care

AVIAF

This may seem like a strange question...But how do I properly clean and care for the OB without spreading it? I understand using hair dryers (the hair dryer thing really helps and feels good! Lol) and patting the area dry, but when showering, I'm concerned I may inadvertently spread the virus around. Or does that not happen if you're using soap and/or on Valtrex? Also, is there any recommended soap that prevents the sores from getting infected but is still lady-part friendly?

Also, does anyone have any recommended home remedies for the sores? I'm a fan of using natural remedies (when safe and effective). So many questions! Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me some advice :) 

Free73

Just wash yourself as you normally do. You don't need to do anything else to care for the outbreak. Normal soap will break the virus up and effectively kill it.

Try using shea butter, it is natural and keeps the skin more moist than normal soap.

I wouldn't worry about 'spreading' the virus around. Auto-inoculation is very rare and you can't spread the virus to other parts of your genitals because it is already there. Over the life of the virus, you will probably get blisters or lesions in more than one spot in your genital area. For example, I get them on my upper inner thigh, my butt cheek and occasionally my penis (but never at the same time, it's always one or the other). This doesn't mean the virus has spread, it just chooses a different nerve to travel down to the skin and that can happen. Of course, some people will only get them in one spot over the life of the virus.

You can try tea tree oil and aloe vera. Neither are clinically proven to be effective, but you can give them a try and see if they provide any relief for you.

Edited by Free73

AVIAF

@Free73 Makes sense! Thank you for the advice! I've heard good things about tea tree oil so I'll give it a try :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Teah12
      By Teah12
      https://imgur.com/a/n93G8I5 
      could I have herpes I’m 33 weeks pregnant. I have had trouble with BV and utis lately. Please help. I’m scared. The blisters have bled some but don’t hurt. 
    • hangirl
      By hangirl
      Ive have GHSV1 for two years and have not experienced an OB since my first initial one.. except for now i think. I was very stressed and worrisome, which caused me to get itchy down there, and now everytime i wipe i feel like there are blisters, but when i look there are none! im so confused and not sure if its just my mind trying to trick me, but i can sometimes feel them when i am sitting down, it feels like pins and needles.. has anyone else experienced this?? i dont know what to do! im trying to not think about it and 'think' my way out of this outbreak
    • KatJ
      By KatJ
      I was diagnosed almost a year ago and have always struggled to find an outlet or any support. I stumbled upon this site when researching a new rash. I’ve constantly struggled with dealing with my herpes, especially since I got it due to being raped.
      I hope to be able to talk to some people with similar experiences and problems. I have HSV1 in the genital region. Does anybody else deal with that as well? 
    • Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I was diagnosed with ghsv-1 about a month ago. I have been having problems with the lymph nodes in my neck. My outbreak on my genitals have cleared up so I am unsure why my lymph nodes are still in pain. Can I also have oral hsv-1? What should I do? 
    • Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I am new to the herpes world. I was diagnosed with ghsv-1 on May 17th. I was dating two guys at once (one I was sexually active with and someone else). The last person I had sex with, I am pretty sure he’s the one that gave it to me. I did disclose to all of my sex partners using text free because I was too embarrassed to reveal myself. But anyway, today I disclosed to the other guy I was seeing when I found out that I was gHSV-1 positive. We have been seeing one another one to two time a week and have planned basically our whole summer out. Even though he wanted to take it slow we are most definitely sexually attracted to one another and planned on having sex somewhere along the lines. This morning I decided to disclose via text that I have ghsv-1. I gave him some fact/transmission rates and have left everything in his hands. He’s currently at work and asked if it’ll be okay for him to call me when he gets off. Let’s see how this turns out. I am prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best. I will keep you guys posted.
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • IAmDesperate
      Yeah and the stigma hit me pretty hard since I'm originally from Asia and we don't have sex ed or STD education so the regret and self-hating are as bad as stigma. Hoping is the only way to get me out of suicidal thoughts. I know that a lot has been done and I'm glad. I just hope they continue with the hsv research instead of abandoning it cuz it's not life-threatening and I also hope that the big pharma conspiracy isn't real.
    • Dvm
    • blurneworder
      @Dvm, he says this to almost everyone.  Best ignore his bad advice 
    • Dvm
      Thx so much. However HSV can affect the trigeminal nerve/from post herpetic neuralgia and can actually cause all these symptoms. Some people, once affected can have short term symptoms,  while others have sporadic flare ups and some are permanently affected. Gabapentin for trigeminal neuralgia, prescribed by my neurologist, did help me for some time,  but I'm glad to be off it.  Hope my post helps someone w similar issues who havent gotten help from primary care Dr.
    • WilsoInAus
      @Dvm you can be assured that HSV is not the cause of these issues. As you have found, it’s likely a spinal issue and it sounds like you have found some help. Stick with that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.