World's Largest Herpes Support Group
BeWell&Win

Confused...Question about Antibodies

BeWell&Win

Hi All! 

I believe my BF of 3 years gave me herpes. We took blood tests, and we both tested negative. My culture was positive for HVS2. I have only been with him for the past 3 years, and I tested negative before our relationship.

Members here keep saying maybe he had herpes and didn't know. I understand that, but if he had it before, wouldn't he have antibodies?

Do people without symptoms, that never have OBs develop antibodies? Or do antibodies only develop after an OB? I thought once you have been exposed, you develop antibodies several months to 1 year or so later. Or that not true? 

He's never had symptoms or outbreaks, and he has no antibodies. I don't have antibodies either. My doctor said that mean I just got herpes, because I tested negative before. My doctor will test me again in 6 months to see if antibodies have developed. 

He does not have antibodies...yet. Which would mean he contracted the virus recently, right? 

Edited by BeWell&Win

Blahdittilyblah

Have you seen his test results? It's common for the blood test to produce false negatives. He may have not know. He may have not been tested and just said he was out of fear of losing you. It dosent mean that he cheated but it is a possibility. It's hard to tell sometimes. 

Lisajd

It takes about 12 weeks to develop antibodies.   Was it an igg test you both have.  And yeah did he show you his results.

Free73

Hi there, it seems you are still wrestling with the question of whether your boyfriend cheated on you or not.......

I really think you need to start asking yourself another question. Is this the right guy for me irrespective of herpes or not? In reading your other thread and now this one, it really does seem like deep down you have doubts about this relationship and your boyfriend and this is possibly giving you the excuse you need to end it? Perhaps i'm reading too much into it, but I don't think you are comfortable with him or this relationship and this has just added fuel to the fire for you

BeWell&Win

@Blahdittilyblah and @Lisajd, he took an IgG test, and was tested for everthing. He tested positive for trichomoniasis. Once he told me, I got tested and discovered he also gave me trich.  

No, I did not see his test results. He has offered to show me the paperwork several times. I know it sounds crazy, but I figured why would he lie about herpes, but admit to the trich. Either way it proves he cheated. I'm going to see him later today, so I will ask to see the results then. 

@Free73, I made my decision. At this point...I know he cheated. I don't view cheating and giving me 2 stds as an excuse, but valid reasons to end things. No relationship is perfect. We had our issues, but I was very happy with him until this happened. I don't hate or dislike him. I forgave him. I still love him, but I'm done with him romantically.

I just want to know how antibodies work. I've been on several sites and read different things. 

Does one have antibodies even if they never have symptoms or obs

Does one only develop antibodies after an outbreak?

With or without symptoms/obs, after 12 weeks does one have antibodies? And do the antibodies remain for life?

Edited by BeWell&Win

Herpadoodledoo

In response to your antibodies question, usually people with or without OB's develop antibodies, yes. I have seen in a few cases that people with positive swab cultures will not test positive for antibodies even years after having contacted the virus, but this is pretty rare.

When you do develop them though, they do remain for life. Which is good because eventually they step forward and knock the virus down and help prevent ob's and even reduce shedding! 

I also want to commend you for being so level headed through this considering the end of relationship AND this! 

Blahdittilyblah

I don't know much about trich but I'm assuming it can be treated, cured, and isn't for life. Not entirely sure but that's my assumption. And if that's the case then I'd also assume that admitting to trich would be a hell of a lot easier then herpes because it will go away where as herpes well, you know. So just take that into consideration please. 

BeWell&Win

Thank you, @Herpadoodledoo! I appreciate your kind words, and you answering my questions. I have read so many things online, and there's a lot of misleading info out there. I read that if a person never has an ob, they never develop antibodies. I didn't think that was true, but even the legit sites I found don't go into much depth. 

@Blahdittilyblah trich is curable. That was taken care of quickly with meds...Thank Heavens! Yes! I'm sure it was easier for him to admit to trich, but it's obvious he is to blame for both. 

This has been a difficult time for me. You all have no idea how much you have helped me. I'm so very grateful for the support! I learned so much here. This site is wonderful. 

Edited by BeWell&Win

WilsoInAus

Everyone with HSV has an immune response including antibodies. This happens whether there has been an outbreak or not. The reality is that most everyone does have an outbreak upon infection but for various reasons it can be so mild as to be disregarded as as issue. It can be that testing misses the particular IgG antibodies being searched for, but this is rare for HSV-2.

The partner here as cheated, little doubt owing to the presence of trich, a sexually transmitted parasite.

A cultured positive for herpes confirms infection. Cultures are very often not typed so HSV-1 from a partner's oral infection (from childhood even) is as possible as HSV-2. It would be very useful to understand this partner's HSV test results, both for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

The median time to detection of IgG antibodies is 4 weeks and it is over 95% plus by week 12. It is worthwhile taking the IgG test from week 12 to confirm type if the culture was not correctly typed or doubt exists.

PurpleandGray

Hi everyone. Some good info in this post so thanks for that. My question about antibodies is, once you produce the antibodies do you start to feel better? My blood test came back negative but I'm 99.9 percent sure I have H. Will I begin to feel better in a few months once my body makes antibodies?

WilsoInAus

Yes most definitely. Your body progressively gets better and better at addressing the virus to the point where outbreaks are very few and far between and the small lesion that occurs is typically the only symptom.

lali

You can have no IgG for HSV in your blood but test positive for the culture?

Edited by lali

Lisajd
On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 8:54 AM, WilsoInAus said:

It can be that testing misses the particular IgG antibodies being searched for, but this is rare for HSV-

A friend got swabbed nov 2015. Just had an igg.... negative.  She has ghsv but still does not know the type. Apparently the swab was contaminated.

Free73
54 minutes ago, PurpleandGray said:

This makes me so happy! Thank you!

As someone who has had HSV2 a long time (but only officially diagnosed 12 months ago) you will go through periods where you forget you even have the virus because it lies dormant in the body without being activated. However, there will also be times where you get periods of unexplained outbreaks for a long period of time. This may happen 12 months in, 4 years in, 10 years in etc. As you get older, your body will go through changes and these changes could trigger outbreaks, as will other stresses in your life. But it's no big deal.

What should help you is anti-virals. They are effective for most people at keeping the virus mostly in check. Whether you choose to take them is up to you, but in my experience they are affective.

Lisajd
1 hour ago, PurpleandGray said:

This makes me so happy! Thank you!

Providing also you take cars of yourself and avoid things that trigger obs.  Ive seen cases of no obs fir 5 yrs then have them.  Causes are stress or hormones for eg or surgery or illness

WilsoInAus

Yes that is correct.

The main reason why this occurs is due to recent infections. IgG antibodies are not detectable by a commercial test for 2-3 weeks minimum from infection. Those swabbing positive but have negative blood tests (for that type) can be quite confident they 

Other reasons relate to the test missing antibodies, they either are not being attracted to the test antigen or simply aren't in the blood. This is very rare for HSV-2 but happens sometimes for HSV-1. The length of infection is one of the known factors where people actually test positive in the past but as the duration increases 20 years plus, the IgG antibodies apparently drift away.