World's Largest Herpes Support Group
AychEsVee

Has being on this site helped/hurt you?

AychEsVee

Hello all. 

I've had gHSV-2 for about two years now. I've been on this site on and off, at first for information about the virus, then for check-ins to for research. Something that's always made me curious is, how have sites like these affected people with herpes?

The messages you see here are so varied in terms of people being anxious, fearful, accepting, confident, etc. Sometimes I wonder if sites like these either a) help people accept their condition or b) exacerbate their anxieties. Or even both? For me, honestly, its come in waves, sometimes you see people here so helpless, and at other times, so optimistic and helpful. 

So what's your experience on the site been like?

LillianPanos

Ditto... I recall how devastated I was in the beginning and how manny helped me perspective  Treatment tips etv. I try to play ot forward.. Ditto. ...just like you mentioned

1 hour ago, AychEsVee said:

Hello all. 

I've had gHSV-2 for about two years now. I've been on this site on and off, at first for information about the virus, then for check-ins to for research. Something that's always made me curious is, how have sites like these affected people with herpes?

The messages you see here are so varied in terms of people being anxious, fearful, accepting, confident, etc. Sometimes I wonder if sites like these either a) help people accept their condition or b) exacerbate their anxieties. Or even both? For me, honestly, its come in waves, sometimes you see people here so helpless, and at other times, so optimistic and helpful. 

So what's your experience on the site been like?

Lisajd

I think these sites can be helpful for information but quite often you see bickering and constant negativity from some people who are having a hard time but never seem to have anything positive to say which for me I think is quite unhelpful.  

jreemi

I was diagnosed 5 months ago and found thid site a couple months ago.

It's been a mixed bag. I've seen some very positive topics/posts and some of the research stuff is good to read. I like how people post the slides/audio presentations of Halford's research.

What has affected me negatively are the topics implicating suicide, and posts about how there is no hope and life is pointless, etc. Reading shit like that while I'm on lunch break or waiting for a flight really takes the wind out of my sails.

Sometimes I wonder if I should continue coming here at all. Even for the research. Im emotionally/mentally fragile right now. Not gonna lie. If it weren't for weed on the weekends to take the edge off...anyway there I go rambling

JBnATL

I have been on this website almost daily for over 7 years and have met thousands of Herpsters here over that time.  It is very rewarding to see people come here thinking their lives are over and within a day or two helping others see that it isn't a big deal.  99% of those who come to this website rarely come back after the first week or so because they are back to living their normal lives.  

I have met many who although they have accepted their diagnosis and have moved on, refuse to come back here because it reminds them of a dark period in their lives.  And that's ok.

I hope you can move and go back to living your normal life soon!

JB

Mellisuga

I've visited this site since March 2014 - it was great at first. It helped me cope because I would give plenty of advice, and that helped me through my own healing. After a while though, returning actually made it much worse. I recall telling a few people that it was hurting me to be here, and I even advised others to leave once they got the information that made them feel better. I would say that its helpful for less than a year, and after that it starts to become too much.

These days (after two years) I'm pretty indifferent to this site as a whole. I've noticed in the past 5 months that there are a lot of characters who are arguing (the years previous weren't as bad) and that has actually been very annoying. I think in some ways being here hurts my progress a bit with some posts (and many just annoy me these days too - I have HSV2 so folks complaining about cold sores or HSV1 as the end of the world tend to get on my nerves as they are not much different) but hearing about the vaccine development is cool.

The way I see it, the more you focus and obsess on a perceived flaw you can't change, the more helpless you feel. That's always a bummer.

Sjs93

I am a newbie here and still figuring out how this whole site works, but so far it has been soooo helpful for me. I am naturally a happy go lucky person so I didn't really get too depressed but I did feel a little lonely, like I was hiding a secret from everyone. Being here and able to a) openly talk about herpes and issues that may pop up with it and B) see howany others are affected and even c) socialize with people who truly understand where I am at has been a blessing. On the other hand, the depression involved with H which is aired in this site is hard to not get entangled in...so I just avoid it and stay far away. If that makes me seem aweful I am sorry but being newly diagnosed myself I don't want to go anywhere but up if that makes sense. 

DrearyDaysAhead
2 hours ago, siennabale234 said:

I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2014, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at ( dragbadilaguspelltemple@gmail.com ) rather visit his website at http://dr-agbadi-home-of-solution.webs.com/ or whatapp +2347031991061

Gtfo of here 

Mellisuga

I feel like my last post was very critical...I forgot to say that by and large, this site has been the most helpful place I've ever visited. Yes - staying here too much becomes a problem. However - the people here are amazing. I've visited a couple of sites (even 7 cups of tea for example - a great site, though I remember encountering some unpleasant attitudes in the chat room, and some absent one on one chats). I've been able to go on chat and talk about my anger and hurt here on HC, and the people here support you unlike any other area on the web, or even in real life sometimes.  On chat, I've only ever encountered understanding, positivity, and support. People are very caring here. I should say a BIG thank you :) You all know who you are <3

Edited by Mellisuga

cantdoit

Not always helped. Don't be the person who actually does find h to be a big deal which it clearly is for many.