World's Largest Herpes Support Group
PurpleandGray

One night stand in September that's still causing me problems!

PurpleandGray

Hello everyone. I'm so thankful I have found this site. To start I'd like to say that I'm a 32 year old female who "lived" a healthy lifestyle up until now. I've only been sexual active with two men, I eat extremely healthy, don't smoke and workout. I survived coming out of a long term extremely bad relationship around this time last year. I focused on myself and got very healthy by doing yoga. I felt great again and was ready to get back into the dating scene. 

This September I went to a party  and met someone who I instantly clicked with. We "hooked up" (oral sex) at the party and a few days later we had sex using a condom. This is not like me. Like I said I've only been with one other man prior to this but I felt connected to this man right away and to be honest was craving intimacy. During the hook up I noticed a scar on his penis but he said it was due to masturbating. Being pretty uneducation and unexperienced I let it go.    

Fast forward a few weeks and I find out that this man has a girlfriend. I break things off right away. On Sept 22nd I have extreme itching and burning followed by tiny little bumps on my body. I start researching herpies and believe I have it. I read that herpies outbreaks can sometimes clear up on there own, I try to do things very natural (without meds) so I wait it out. The pain only gets worse. I decide to go to the doctor about a month later. She puts me on 7 days worth of Valtrex and a yeast infection pill. Both help a bit but don't clear up my tiny bumps completely. My doctor says that my test results are all negative. After doing my research I realize that my body probably just didn't make antibodies yet. I plan to be retested in a few months. Besides the emotional pain of knowing that my "hook up" has caused me so much pain, I am STILL getting small red bumps popping up all over my body. Right now I have a few on my thighs, my arms, face and chest. Can herpies do this? I'm terrified that I might have more problems such as HIV. I am at a loss for what to do! I sent a message to my doctor asking if I should go back on Valtrex. Has anyone had outbreaks that lasted months? Can herpies pop up all over your body like this? I started taking vitamin C and garlic pills, is there anything else natural I can do to help? Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Please help!! Thank you so much.  

JBnATL

While I am not a doctor, what you describe doesn't sound like this virus.  Genital herpes resides in your sacral ganglia nerve system which starts at the base of your spine and goes down your legs, so it cannot cause symptoms all over your body.  That is why I do not think you are a Herpster.

You are doing the right thing though by going to a doctor.  Wait until next February and test again.  You don't need to go through a doctor to get tested, there are many labs out there that will test you without a doctors prescription.

Even if you have this virus, you can still live a normal life.  Hundreds of millions of people worldwide have it and most live normal lives.  Have you ever had mono, chicken pox or a cold sore?  If so you are already a Herpster.  Even other animals can get a virus called 'herpes'.  Its not the exact same kind as what we get but still a virus called herpes, and they treat them with lysine.  Cats, dogs, horses and even penguins can get herpes and I swear there is a beluga whale here at the Georgia Aquarium that gets cold sores :giggle:

Good luck!

JB

PurpleandGray

Thank you for the help! I love the part about the beluga haha! 

Do you have any idea what else could be causing these tiny red bumps on my body? The reasons I believe it's at least partly herpies are the man did have a blister/scar and I felt tingling after I was infected. 

I just want to get to the bottom of this!

Thank you for the help. 

WilsoInAus

Herpes can only cause lesions in the nerve region that is infected. Any other skin issues outside of the infected region cannot possibly be herpes lesions.

As for the bumps, where are they on your body? Mainly or worse on the torso? What do they look like?

Did you have a bad cold/flu through August/September?

honey_6974
7 hours ago, PurpleandGray said:

I eat extremely healthy, don't smoke and workout.

Excellent. Keep at it.

My doctor says that my test results are all negative.

I don't believe that's conclusive. Standards of testing for HSV are — to put it bluntly — a travesty.

I decide to go to the doctor about a month later. She puts me on 7 days worth of Valtrex and a yeast infection pill. Both help a bit but don't clear up my tiny bumps completely.

First outbreak is always the worst.

I am STILL getting small red bumps popping up all over my body. Right now I have a few on my thighs, my arms, face and chest. Can herpies do this?

Possibly. It could be herpes gladiatorum. If your body is busy trying to fight a virus, it will presumably have less capacity to fight ordinary skin issues, though these “small red bumps” all over your body will not necessarily be herpetic lesions.

Of course, you should consult with a real doctor, and I am not one. I am some guy on the Internet.

I'm terrified that I might have more problems such as HIV.

Possible, but unlikely. Fortunately, this is much easier to test for. Go and get that done.

Has anyone had outbreaks that lasted months?

Yes. Hasn't been my experience personally, but I've read that an unlucky few suffer near-constant outbreaks.

I started taking vitamin C and garlic pills, is there anything else natural I can do to help?

Don't count on those having any effect beyond placebo. You mentioned already that you live a healthy lifestyle, and regular training and a balanced diet is all the natural remedy that will ever be of any use to you.

PurpleandGray

Thank you so incredibly much for the help guys!!! You are all honestly putting my mind at ease!

yes I did have flu like symptoms ( fever, run down...) about 20 days after having the oral sex with me. 

As for the bumps on my body they look like tiny red pimples. Today I have one on my collar bone, one on my thigh and one on my arm. I also have a red rash on my upper arm abd red rash on my hand that seem to appear more when I'm stressed or feeling sick. Maybe it is herpies gladitorom. I'll look that up, thank you! The bumps on my body (not my genitals) pop up and are gone a few days later which did confuse me because herpies sores are said to last and then crust over. The bumps on my gentians did this but the red bumps on my body seem to only last a few days.

Thanks so much for the help, I truly appreciate it!!! 

WilsoInAus

No it is not herpes gladiatorium. This is simply the name for herpes that is elsewhere on the body apart from the oral or genital region. It still causes only lesions in the one location.

I was thinking hives as a result of your body fighting the flu virus, but it could be a number of dermal issues. A doctor needs to help out with these. Are you sure they are 'special' and not naturally occurring taking on a new meaning given your anxiety? We would all have half a dozen or so short lived imperfections on our bodies for various reasons.

PurpleandGray

oh I see, I understand what you mean now! I have never had bumps or breakouts like this before. It could be hives. I'll discuss it more with my doctor. Although when I showed her my arm the first time she just gave me a weird confused look! I know some if you are men but for the ladies, do you gives get treated for herpies by your OBGYN or just your primary care doctor? I've been seeing my primary doctor but maybe it would be helpful to talk to my OBGYN?

I hope to get to the bottom of this soon. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! 

PurpleandGray

Hey everyone just wanted to give a little update. My doctor sent me over a new 10 day prescription of valtrex. She said that it's odd I'm still getting little bumps. As of right now I have three tiny red bumps on my thigh and one bigger bump on my collar bone. I don't have any pain or tingling at the moment. Should I take the Valtrex now? Or should I wait until I start to feel pain or tingling again? I guess what I mean is can Valtrex calm down the virus if I take it now? Or should I wait until an outbreak occurs? Thanks everyone. 

WilsoInAus

I think you need another opinion from another doctor. There is very little in what you describe that seems even remotely connected with herpes.

PurpleandGray

ok I'll do that. I know she is a newer doctor. I'll see who else I can find. Thank you for the help. 

Ps: One thing I'm thinking is since I do have Candida maybe my body is going wacky with yeast. She gave me a yeast infection pill a few weeks which did help. I'm wondering if my body is full of yeast abd that's one reason I'm getting rashes and bumps. 

Edited by PurpleandGray