World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Snjt

When is it safe to have sex again?

Snjt

Hello all,

I was diagnosed in late May/ June of this year. I would like to know when will I be able to have sex again? My doctor said no sex for 4 months. Its been over 4 months but i think I should wait longer. Is oral sex an option? I have been taking my anti virals without skipping a beat and my outbreaks have become less freguent and less severe. I can also always know when I am going to have an outbreak. Anyone else gets a tingling sensation in the middle of their back like almost on your spine? I don't have the crawling sensation on my genitalsite any more though. I'm still new to this disease and still learning how to live with myself and it taking over my body like a parasite. I want to be normal and have sex but this is holding me back. I don't sleep around but I do have someone who I've been staying away from because of this. idk how to break it to them. Any positive advice or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks 

WilsoInAus

What was the outcome of your tests? I remember your pictures and they were most unlikely to be herpes lesions and swabbed negative, but that is independent of your herpes status.

Snjt

I was positive for hsv1 and hsv2. the photo I had posted was of my child's skin which turn out to be just a viral infection, not of my lesions 

WilsoInAus

Of that's right, thanks for that update, big relief for you and your child. A scare to be sure, and a learning that HSV-2 is not at all readily spread to a child. Lots of people get chewed up with this highly remote outcome if a possibility at all.

Was your diagnosis through a blood test? What were the actual results of the tests?

The reason to explore this is to check the potential for a long term infection which I suspect is the case?

As such, by taking daily antivirals very consistently and using condoms you are probably at the lowest possible infection chance already, no need to wait any longer for sex.

Snjt

The diagnosis was a blood test and it is more long term. My doctor stated  we may be able to put the virus to 'sleep' so it'll  be dormant. But of course I know that will just be temporarily. it's a relief that I don't have to wait any longer for sex but what about oral? can I give and receive oral sex? what would be the chances of me giving it to my partner orally? I am also going through a small ob now. it's not recommended to have sex during outbreaks, is that correct? Should I wait at least a week before doing so? 

Lisajd

No avoid sex with an ob.  Are you still having obs on meds?   If you have oral hsv1 there is a risk to pass it genitally.  Your body will naturally suppress the virus as will meds.  But you have to bear in mind viral.shedding as well. The first year you are more contagious if a recent infection.   You need to disclose to this guy and let him decide. There is a risk

Edited by Lisajd

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Teah12
      By Teah12
      https://imgur.com/a/n93G8I5 
      could I have herpes I’m 33 weeks pregnant. I have had trouble with BV and utis lately. Please help. I’m scared. The blisters have bled some but don’t hurt. 
    • hangirl
      By hangirl
      Ive have GHSV1 for two years and have not experienced an OB since my first initial one.. except for now i think. I was very stressed and worrisome, which caused me to get itchy down there, and now everytime i wipe i feel like there are blisters, but when i look there are none! im so confused and not sure if its just my mind trying to trick me, but i can sometimes feel them when i am sitting down, it feels like pins and needles.. has anyone else experienced this?? i dont know what to do! im trying to not think about it and 'think' my way out of this outbreak
    • Claire_B
      By Claire_B
      I don't know if anyone else has gone through this, but if your partner has genital herpes and then you were later diagnosed with it (even after using protection), how did you tell them? My partner told me he had genital herpes before we had sex. We've been careful but I have a suspicious itchy blister today, plus am feeling very run down. Making apt. with my doctor in the morning; meanwhile, my partner is out of town. I'm not sure how to tell him if the diagnosis is positive...do not want him to blame himself or be upset because we're committed and he was honest from the start. (And truthfully, right now, I am scared...but I again don't want that to come across as his fault.) Anyone been here before? Thoughts on how to tell him?
    • KatJ
      By KatJ
      I was diagnosed almost a year ago and have always struggled to find an outlet or any support. I stumbled upon this site when researching a new rash. I’ve constantly struggled with dealing with my herpes, especially since I got it due to being raped.
      I hope to be able to talk to some people with similar experiences and problems. I have HSV1 in the genital region. Does anybody else deal with that as well? 
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • StayingUpbeat
      It should be noted that the Gates foundation was part of a venture capital group that gave Genocea $30 million in support of their vaccine development efforts in the period when their lead candidate was an HSV-2 therapeutic vaccine (GEN-003): https://xconomy.com/boston/2012/10/10/genocea-snags-30m-from-gates-foundation-vcs-for-new-vaccines/ They have also provided 30 million dollars to the University of Washington's HSV efforts.  This time specifically on research into whether suppressing HSV results in a reduction in HIV transmission: https://honeycomb.click/topic/77503-donations-to-fred-hutch-center/page/21/?tab=comments#comment-493474  Far from inactive in HSV research they provide significant funding in the context of reducing HIV transmission.  It's a well established fact that genital HSV greatly increases the probably contracting HIV from an infected partner.
    • Cas9
      Human trials starting next year?  Not even close. It will be several years.
    • hunger4more
      Sounds like X-vaxs' biggest concern is prevention and erradication secondary..... 🤦🏻‍♂️
    • IAmDesperate
      Ahh thank you for the link, but sadly I have HSV1
    • Pitchbird
      It may be small scale but at least it shows me that I'm by far not the only one who isn't willing to disclose to casual partners anymore. The damage for oneself is too high to make it worth it imho: - seduction becomes difficult as guy if they know in advance - you're very likely to become a gossip object if it happens within your social circle - you get abandoned before it even starts to get intense - you end up lonely and depressed after being abandoned for such a reason Still, that doesn't answer the question if it's better to disclose properly out of nowhere during the relationship or wait for the symptoms to appear and pretend to be surprised and fake the doctor diagnosis afterwards. At the moment I think the true disclosure would be less likely to be accepted by the partner, but in case it works it would feel better in the end because there's less of a secret kept in the long run... and of course there's lower moral burden when disclosing earlier because you're handing over responsibility of risk exposure to the partner.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.