World's Largest Herpes Support Group
LetItGo

New and feeling the pain

LetItGo

Hi everyone, 

I was offically told I have (genital) herpes yesterday after 4 days of already knowing but still holding on to some hope.

I am still waiting on what type it is but putting those thought aside as just thinking about getting better right now. 

This first out break is possibly the most painful thing I have yet to experience. I have only been taking Valacyclovir for a day now and just applied my first dose of Zovirax. I can't say I feel much different but I know the medicine needs time. The only thing that really may be killing me is going to the bathroom so if anyone has any advice on that subject I am 100% willing to take you up on that offer. Also curious on how long this OB will be lasting for? Is this going to change my entire life??

Just looking for a bit of advice and support. It's hard to trust people with this news and I'm so glad I found a place where people can't judge me for what I have.

I'm scared but trying to stay positive and most of all, get better. I love all you people already. Thanks. 

SureWhyNot

36yrs with this. My best experience has been with a product called Calendula Cream by Unda Seroyal. Since you need something immediately try aloe vera gel,  coconut oil or olive oil as a topical application to help with the bathroom part that hurts so bad. Not a perfect fix but may help the cause. 

Your life will only change in the way you let it. This can be dealt with by understanding how it affects Your Body and what you need to be aware of when sharing it with someone else. You will get valuable info from those here. You are not alone.

LetItGo
6 minutes ago, SureWhyNot said:

36yrs with this. My best experience has been with a product called Calendula Cream by Unda Seroyal. Since you need something immediately try aloe vera gel,  coconut oil or olive oil as a topical application to help with the bathroom part that hurts so bad. Not a perfect fix but may help the cause. 

Your life will only change in the way you let it. This can be dealt with by understanding how it affects Your Body and what you need to be aware of when sharing it with someone else. You will get valuable info from those here. You are not alone.

Thank you for your help! I have aloe that I can try. 

Also thank for you making me feel accepted. 

SureWhyNot

No one should ever have to feel alone with this. We do understand and honestly care. If you are using a living plant ensure it is at least 2yrs old for optimum benefits. Don't use the yellow part inside. If using from a bottle put it in the fridge, the cold will be a lovely break from the heat of the swelling and OB

Edited by SureWhyNot

Lisajd

A couple of things that you could try an Epsom salt baths and also if it hurts to pee make sure you drink plenty of water cause that dilate your urine and get a water bottle and spray it as u pee.  Alternatively have a shower when you need to wee.   Unfortunately medication seems to work better if you get on to it within a day or two so it may take a little longer to heal but you do need to try and eat well and rest and not stress because this is all a contributor.

What you going through is something that is quite common for most and this is about how well your body can suppress the virus.  

Also recommend that you educate yourself so that you fully understand what it means for you and how you can live with that to the best you can.  Just remember though that it is very common and your life is not over because you have herpes

Elle22

Hello, and welcome to Honeycomb!

The herpes club isn't really something many of us wanted to join, but that's okay there are plenty of cool people in it! So far, it sounds like you are doing great. It is good to be positive, patient, and health-focused. For most people, the first outbreak is the absolute worst. This is because the virus is new to the body, no antibodies have been created yet, so it can just sort of have a free for all. What the medication does is prevent the virus from making as many copies of itself. What your body will do is create antibodies and fight the virus. Most people have antibodies detectable in the blood after 3 months. After the first year, transmission rates drop significantly.

As for how long your outbreak will last, no one can really say. Everyone's body works differently which unfortunately means there is no clear answer for that. The average is around a week or two. For bathroom issues, it sort of depends on what issues you're having exactly, but I can lay down a few common tips:

* Lidocaine gel - this is prescription only but I highly recommend it, its just a numbing gel (which is great if you have an uncomfortable crotch)

* Diaper rash cream - can help soothe area

* Pouring warm water over the area while going to the bathroom or going in the bathtub

*Peeing through an empty toilet paper roll or tampon applicator

*Drinking more water so urine is more diluted

Also some people swear by liquid bandages but you should know that will really burn if you put it on and I'm not sure if that's supposed to go in that area. Others recommend tea tree oil and various other things. There's definitely a lot of suggestions on the forums here.

Is it going to change your whole life? No. It's just a virus. You have gotten viruses before. It's nothing new. Herpes is considered pretty medically insignificant, the main issue tends to be the social stigma. Of course, as with most stigmas, a little education usually helps people with that.

I also recommend checking out the chatroom here! That was something that helped normalize herpes and reassure me when I was first diagnosed. It was nice to be able to talk about herpes if I wanted to and not worry about it, and also to talk about things that weren't herpes and to see that people with herpes were still out there people-ing just fine.

LetItGo
2 hours ago, Elle22 said:

Hello, and welcome to Honeycomb!

The herpes club isn't really something many of us wanted to join, but that's okay there are plenty of cool people in it! So far, it sounds like you are doing great. It is good to be positive, patient, and health-focused. For most people, the first outbreak is the absolute worst. This is because the virus is new to the body, no antibodies have been created yet, so it can just sort of have a free for all. What the medication does is prevent the virus from making as many copies of itself. What your body will do is create antibodies and fight the virus. Most people have antibodies detectable in the blood after 3 months. After the first year, transmission rates drop significantly.

As for how long your outbreak will last, no one can really say. Everyone's body works differently which unfortunately means there is no clear answer for that. The average is around a week or two. For bathroom issues, it sort of depends on what issues you're having exactly, but I can lay down a few common tips:

* Lidocaine gel - this is prescription only but I highly recommend it, its just a numbing gel (which is great if you have an uncomfortable crotch)

* Diaper rash cream - can help soothe area

* Pouring warm water over the area while going to the bathroom or going in the bathtub

*Peeing through an empty toilet paper roll or tampon applicator

*Drinking more water so urine is more diluted

Also some people swear by liquid bandages but you should know that will really burn if you put it on and I'm not sure if that's supposed to go in that area. Others recommend tea tree oil and various other things. There's definitely a lot of suggestions on the forums here.

Is it going to change your whole life? No. It's just a virus. You have gotten viruses before. It's nothing new. Herpes is considered pretty medically insignificant, the main issue tends to be the social stigma. Of course, as with most stigmas, a little education usually helps people with that.

I also recommend checking out the chatroom here! That was something that helped normalize herpes and reassure me when I was first diagnosed. It was nice to be able to talk about herpes if I wanted to and not worry about it, and also to talk about things that weren't herpes and to see that people with herpes were still out there people-ing just fine.

Thank you so much for this reply, and your advice as well as tremendous amount of support. 

The bathroom situation. I think a lot of the lesions are inside that I can not see, therefore causing a unbearable burning sensation. I have used the warm water technique and well as the lidocaine gel but only feel very little change in the pain. I'm afraid to drink water because I don't want to go but it seems like thats a bad idea especially after reading these replies.

I will definitely try some other things but I think mostly I just need to be patient. It's just really hard to be during all this. 

Also I do love the chat it's the first place I went looking for answers and everyone was so welcoming. I'm glad I found a place like this.