World's Largest Herpes Support Group
brookeb300

Herpes Viral Load in Blood

brookeb300

I know that herpes isn't really in your blood very much, but I was wondering...Does anyone know around how much is in your blood if you have a recurrent outbreak?  Like what the viral load is?  I know that the antibodies can't possibly take care of every single virus particle.  I know it's a weird question.

WilsoInAus

In most instances, outbreak or not, there is none of the virus in your blood. The virus remains inside the meninge that surrounds each nerve branch from the spine.

If there is some found in the blood, it is due to an immune misfunction owing to a serious illness of some sort.

Testing for the virus in the blood is therefore of no value as a diagnostic tool.

IgG blood testing, type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2 remains the most credible test. Please take this test 16 weeks or more from exposure and I am sure we can help you with interpreting the results.

brookeb300

No I don't want to measure the antibodies, just the viral load of actual herpes virus particles in my blood.

WilsoInAus

There is no such thing.

If you have no antibodies, it is not possible to have the virus in your blood.

The IgG blood test is the only way to diagnose a person without lesion available for swab.

brookeb300

I understand.  There is some in your blood.  Looking for another answer.

WilsoInAus

For people with HSV, 99 plus of the time they will not have the virus in their blood.

What is your other questions?

brookeb300

I just want someone else to answer if they know.  I already know it is not considered to be in the blood.  I was looking for someone with an unusual answer.

WilsoInAus

I can't quite understand where you are going.

If 16 weeks since exposure have passed, the best thing you can do is ask your doctor for an IgG blood test type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2. Insist on this test and a printout of the result and then you will learn much of what you need to know. Good luck!

brookeb300

I just wanted another answer...sorry it's not about getting tested for it.  It was more of a medical research question.

undertsun

If you look for viral particles in blood you should find nothing, simply because HSV can't infect blood cells. Any viral particle in blood will be quickly neutralized by antibodies. People infected with HSV are able to donate blood.

The only exception may be at an acute infection, where the antibodies have not yet been produced.

Free73

It's a complicated formula.........

.6783 × bodyweight x (.04532 + .0678)/(2^2) × (2x +Y^3) -2t^3

honey_6974

Come on people. We don't need answers with facts in them.

We need some unusual answers!

Edited by honey_6974

brookeb300
9 minutes ago, honey_6974 said:

Come on people. We don't need answers with facts in them.

We need some unusual answers!

I was looking for an usual answer that had a fact in it.  Unfortanately with herpes that is unusual. 

There is an amount of virus particles in your blood it's just a really small amount.  

honey_6974

I just can't reason out the logic here. How do some people's brains function so drastically differently? How?! I just can't comprehend it.

Person A: I do not know how (subject) works. How does (subject) work?

Person B: The mechanism of (subject) is (explanation).

Person A: No. I do not like that answer. Give me something else. Give me a contradictory answer without fabrication.

What went wrong in evolution? Why did natural selection not take care of this? To be admittedly hyperbolic, it's the same as this scenario:

Predator: I am hungry. I am going to kill you and eat you.

Neanderthal: No. I do not like that answer. Build me a house instead.

I just. I just can't.

WAT.

brookeb300

are you guys getting into the halford clinical trial?

with everyone else on here  looks really good. let's inject 10 times more herpes into your body.  dont ask any weird questions or ask for scientific facts or anything. just lie a lot.

Hansje
31 minutes ago, brookeb300 said:

are you guys getting into the halford clinical trial?

with everyone else on here  looks really good. let's inject 10 times more herpes into your body.  dont ask any weird questions or ask for scientific facts or anything. just lie a lot.

Ehm, could you explain what you mean?

brookeb300
29 minutes ago, Hansje said:

Ehm, could you explain what you mean?

no i cant just figure it out

Lisajd
4 hours ago, brookeb300 said:

I was looking for an usual answer that had a fact in it.  Unfortanately with herpes that is unusual. 

There is an amount of virus particles in your blood it's just a really small amount.  

What is the relevance of knowing this?  

WilsoInAus

It is important that you obtain a test result to check your heroes status. At present to be on a trial for Halfords vaccine you must test positive on the ABVIC test.

brookeb300

It does cross the placenta.  Please stop answering me!!!  I know your answers are what we are supposed to say.  But it's not the scientific fact.  I"m looking to talk to other people on here. 

Most viruses cross the placenta.  They are actually too small to filter out.  They do not necessarily cause infection. sometimes they do. Herpes does sometimes cross it and cause infection.

Lisajd

Why dont you ask your dr or gyno about it if you want facts instead of being rude to people who are giving you info.  

WilsoInAus

There has been research so it is scientific fact, why would anyone post things that are not true on this website? It has nothing to do with filtering, but with the mechanisms built into the placenta.

Please refer to the following scientific research.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26958718

Also an article from Terri Warren et al.

If I Have Genital Herpes, Is My Baby at Risk?
The foremost concern on many women's minds is how genital herpes will affect their baby. The clinician can reassure the patient that new research suggests that the woman who has an established HSV-2 infection when a pregnancy begins has only about a 1 in 5000 chance of infecting her baby with herpes if she does not have symptomatic lesions at the time of delivery.

Explain that a pregnant woman with established HSV-2 genital infection is able to pass antibody to her baby, through the placenta, during the pregnancy. That antibody seems to offer good, although not perfect, protection to the baby. Antiviral medications taken daily during the last month of pregnancy may further reduce the possibility of transmitting the virus to the baby. Patients with concerns about taking medications during pregnancy may be reassured to learn that taking antiviral medications for genital herpes has been approved by the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Many women also ask about the chances of passing herpes to the baby during pregnancy. Reassure patients that we now believe that this is a very uncommon event and that they should take it off their list of worries.

Some women ask, "Why can't I just have a cesarean section to be certain I don't pass herpes to my baby?" That's a very reasonable question that will likely require some detailed discussion. Although women need to understand that cesarean sections have risks of their own, and that the safety of the mother and the baby will need to be balanced, make it clear that a key component of this decision is the presence of symptoms or recurrence in the third trimester.