World's Largest Herpes Support Group
LetItGo

Can I drink?

LetItGo

Looking for some advice.

I was diagnosed with HSV 2 about three weeks ago. My first OB is pretty much cleared up.

I am currently off all medication. I am going out tomorrow night and have read a lot of things about alcohol affecting and causing an OB. I know everyone is different but I am just wondering about others and their personal experience with drinking. Should I not drink at all? Is it okay to have a few? Just looking for advice I'm still very new to all this. 

Thank you for any replies. This website is always so helpful and understanding.  

Lisajd

Its going to be trial and error with what triggers outbreaks.   A lot of it is about how well your immune system can suppress the virus. Healthy body and mind is key.  What triggers an ob for some is not for others.  Some people are so afraid of another ob they drastically change their diet because they "read" what causes obs and until you put it to the test you wont know.  I think a few drinks wont hurt you.  For me stress is my trigger.

Edited by Lisajd

SureWhyNot

Life must go on. Alcohol weakens the immune system. So fight back with supplements. Pure source Vitamin B (not cheap synthetics as B is the most depleted by alcohol), C, and E come to mind to balance back. Folic Acid is good to fight with. Have water while drinking alcohol. Drink lots of water to flush out the liver the next day.

HSV is no reason to take yourself out of the fun. Moderation is never a bad idea.

Sansa218

Personally, I've never found alcohol to contribute to an ob....hope you have a good time!

Prettypony

Diagnosed just over 4 months ago and so far my only trigger has been waxing  my lady parts. Everything else I do in moderation .  I eat chocolate, peanut butter and enjoy a few drinks every now and then. I say go out, relax, and enjoy yourself. 

Blahdittilyblah

I've been diagnosed for a couple months now HSV2 take no meds haven't had an OB since the first one and I drink quite often when I go out which can be a couple times a week. Long story short I haven't had an OB since (knocks on wood) but everyone's body is different,best way to find out drink and see what happens if you get an OB then you know alcohol may be a trigger for you. 

jude

I totally understand your concern! However each body is different and has it's own unique triggers. Unfortunately for me red wine is the culprit. But even before I contracted HSV2 my body has always been sensitive to alcohol. It's only been 3 months since my first OB so for now I'm limiting my alcohol intake. But I'm sure by next year I can continue like I used to. So give it a go! Have fun, don't let the herp control you too much. But do look after your body and listen closely :)