World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Positivevibes91

Can i pass herpes onto my two kids??

Positivevibes91

I am so worried for my kids since finding out I have this, me and my toddler usually bathe together but I have now stopped that... I smother them with kisses constantly and now everytime they come for a kiss  I just let them kiss me on the cheek... ive read on google that you can pass it to them and it makes me feel so sad if this is true

WilsoInAus

There is good news all round here.

First, you have genital HSV. This means there is zero chance of transmission associated with kissing and hugging - there is absolutely nothing contagious about your mouth here as far as HSV-2 is concerned.

Further, bathing is also no problem. The virus is in your body and only at times on your skin's surface in that area. It does not float around in water hoping to attach itself. Probably avoid bathing with an outbreak, but apart from that, there's no pragmatic chance of transmission.

Positivevibes91

thank you.. I had a bath on my own tonight but ive bleached it all and bleached all the toilet aswell just to be safe... ive washed my towel and scrubber aswell maybe going over the top but with kids you can never be to careful..

Lisajd

No need to go.to those extremes. If you caught ghsv from.a toilet everyone would have it.  Ita skin to skin contact. Relax before you get ocd

Positivevibes91

I know... im so laid back normally... bleaching the bath is something I normally do once a week... now im bathing 4 times a day and bleaching it everytime I finish I know im being over the top but ive read so many things on the internet I would never forgive myself if one of my kids ended up with it

sclg

@Positivevibes91 I have had this for 10 years and was pregnant, gave birth, and have raised my son (now 6) with herpes. He does not have it.

I am careful if I have an outbreak to wash my hands carefully after using the bathroom, and I take the extra step of drying my privates with a paper towel or toilet paper after I've showered to avoid using the towel there, but that's about it. 

I still kiss, hug, cuddle, and share the bed on weekend mornings with him. 

Please remember that you just need to be a little careful when you have an outbreak, but other than that you and your children are fine. 

One other thing-- when I was diagnosed I was with my mom and she confided in me that she too had herpes and had since before I was born. She raised my two sisters and me and we never got it from her. 

Edited by sclg

luvurself16
On November 24, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Lisajd said:

No need to go.to those extremes. If you caught ghsv from.a toilet everyone would have it.  Ita skin to skin contact. Relax before you get ocd

If the toilet seat is wet there is a slight possibility. In my opinion better safe than sorry.

Lisajd
1 hour ago, luvurself16 said:

If the toilet seat is wet there is a slight possibility. In my opinion better safe than sorry.

Where did you get that information from it were transferred from a toilet seat everyone would have herpes.  

The virus dries out when exposed to air. There are no reported cases of pple getting it from a toilet seat.  

Edited by Lisajd

luvurself16
15 minutes ago, Lisajd said:

Where did you get that information from it were transferred from a toilet seat everyone would have herpes.  

The virus dries out when exposed to air. There are no reported cases of pple getting it from a toilet seat.  

If the toilet seat is wet there is a possibility. Lets say someone has a current outbreak sits on a toilet and somehow it gets wet. Then someone else with non intact skin sits on the toilet not realizing its wet. Its unlikely but I'm sure it could happen.

Edited by luvurself16

Lisajd

How does their vagina touch the seat. Maybe if you had sores on your bum but really. You are way overthinking it

luvurself16
1 hour ago, Lisajd said:

How does their vagina touch the seat. Maybe if you had sores on your bum but really. You are way overthinking it

Buttocks or back of thighs. I've been doing plenty of research. It's unlikely but possible. Over thinking? Maybe. I prefer well informed. I've even heard of people contracting it from the gym.