World's Largest Herpes Support Group
OFMDH

"Rapid" At home HSV-2 device to measure shedding revealed

OFMDH

Note this device is not market ready, concept is just being shown to work. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4756427/  This article has a delayed release (embargo) and will be available in PMC on June 28, 2017 but an abstract is available at the link. Basically its an at home device to test for presence of HSV-2, HIV, etc. as any viral DNA is amplified. They showed the device could see HSV-2 to under 100 viral copies and is just as accurate as the most expensive PCR tests. Best part, results in under an hour.

Simplest explanation of how it works is that once you swab your genitals you take the sample, put it into a special microfluidic chip with filters to get just the virus DNA, add several chemicals, then it will amplify, put this in a special heated capsule (140 degrees). Over an hour if there is viral DNA it will show fluorescence of greater and greater intensity correlated to how many virus particles there are. To help see this a camera with an LED light is watching it for an hour and taking pictures. If the intensity is greater than 88,000 then you have viral DNA present.  

I didn't see any design patents, and regardless its per test cost is high as it consumes the pricey PCM 68 material each time when heated (they did this so it could be used in resource poor regions or areas without reliable electricity. However a simple heating element can keep it at a constant temperature of 140 would work).  I'm very tempted to build a device like this..... 

Can we get this now? 

It's not market ready nor have they applied to FDA to be used as a medical diagnostic device. The researchers involved have already moved on to Zika

What will it cost? 

Detection Device: $1,000-$2,000  +  Multifunctional reaction chamber chips (unknown cost) Microscope fluorescence filters (Link $625.00) (this the device they downsized [ link ]  + and can use a  3d printer to create frame to hold everything on a heating element to maintain constant temp of 140 degrees +  old smartphone w/LED flash over the lens and record it..... 

Per Sample Expense:  $40-50 as prices don't reflect shipping and taxes from suppliers. But this is the manufacturer's costs so I would expect a markup for the individual test to cost more like $70-$85 if it came to market. 

Buffer and Reagents $210 bulk = 100-200 tests = $1-2.00 per test

LAMP mix  $200 for 100 reactions = $2 per test

NA filter+ amplification: $700 for 40-50 tests =  $14.00-17.50 per test

Green fluorescent nucleic acid dye is $42/2 tests or 5ml for $180/10 tests  link = $18-21 / per test

smartphone hsv2 tester.png

Edited by OFMDH

valleynovascotia

would this tell you if your contagious or not?

OFMDH

Yes. Here is a quote even though the article is not supposed to be out yet.... :ph34r:  (jk, I'm sure other places have it as the embargo came later)

To demonstrate the utility of our device for molecular diagnostics, we amplified HSV-2 viral DNA and consistently detected down to 100 copies per sample. The sensitivity of our device is comparable to that of state of the art, benchtop thermal cyclers.

Edited by OFMDH

dont quit!17
8 hours ago, OFMDH said:

Yes. Here is a quote even though the article is not supposed to be out yet.... :ph34r:  (jk, I'm sure other places have it as the embargo came later)

Do you know how many copies would make you contagious? This and Halfords prophylactic should be enough to protect the uninfected.

Hansje

Looks interesting. But what if I test "not contagious" at moment X. What does this say about moment X + 1 hour? 

For how long is a result "valid"?

OFMDH

2 hours ago, West end gal said:

@OFMDH would this measure shedding of both types?

Yes it does. 

OFMDH
50 minutes ago, Hansje said:

Looks interesting. But what if I test "not contagious" at moment X. What does this say about moment X + 1 hour? 

For how long is a result "valid"?

Statistically speaking shedding is considered to be chaos and cannot be predicted mathematically. Meaning shedding is like predicting the weather as the host and virus balance evolves over time of years not months and you could be shedding for several days while someone else sheds only hours and this is never a constant number over time. What this device potentially can do is help give peace of mind to avoid the times you're shedding a lot if you used it before sex. If you do test positive then you could wait 6 hours and try again. Frankly if I did test positive then I would try again 6 hours or the next day to try and get an idea how long I did shed. Given the length of time of shedding episodes and frequency, and depending on the host and antiviral use, the closer you have sex to a negative test though the better the odds you're not contagious. 

Voyager2

According to a 2014 UW study, ones viral load has to be > 10,000 copies of HSV2 DNA in order to transmit the virus:

http://sph.washington.edu/news/article.asp?content_ID=4525

It would be interesting to see how much the viral load fluctuates over the course of a day.

dont quit!17
4 hours ago, Voyager2 said:

According to a 2014 UW study, ones viral load has to be > 10,000 copies of HSV2 DNA in order to transmit the virus:

http://sph.washington.edu/news/article.asp?content_ID=4525

It would be interesting to see how much the viral load fluctuates over the course of a day.

Yeah it would. I'm sure, people would be able to telegraph their bodies shedding rates with a few months of having this device. 

OffTheGrid
On 11/26/2016 at 11:34 PM, OFMDH said:

Note this device is not market ready, concept is just being shown to work. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4756427/  This article has a delayed release (embargo) and will be available in PMC on June 28, 2017 but an abstract is available at the link. Basically its an at home device to test for presence of HSV-2, HIV, etc. as any viral DNA is amplified. They showed the device could see HSV-2 to under 100 viral copies and is just as accurate as the most expensive PCR tests. Best part, results in under an hour.

Simplest explanation of how it works is that once you swab your genitals you take the sample, put it into a special microfluidic chip with filters to get just the virus DNA, add several chemicals, then it will amplify, put this in a special heated capsule (140 degrees). Over an hour if there is viral DNA it will show fluorescence of greater and greater intensity correlated to how many virus particles there are. To help see this a camera with an LED light is watching it for an hour and taking pictures. If the intensity is greater than 88,000 then you have viral DNA present.  

I didn't see any design patents, and regardless its per test cost is high as it consumes the pricey PCM 68 material each time when heated (they did this so it could be used in resource poor regions or areas without reliable electricity. However a simple heating element can keep it at a constant temperature of 140 would work).  I'm very tempted to build a device like this..... 

Can we get this now? 

It's not market ready nor have they applied to FDA to be used as a medical diagnostic device. The researchers involved have already moved on to Zika

What will it cost? 

Detection Device: $1,000-$2,000  +  Multifunctional reaction chamber chips (unknown cost) Microscope fluorescence filters (Link $625.00) (this the device they downsized [ link ]  + and can use a  3d printer to create frame to hold everything on a heating element to maintain constant temp of 140 degrees +  old smartphone w/LED flash over the lens and record it..... 

Per Sample Expense:  $40-50 as prices don't reflect shipping and taxes from suppliers. But this is the manufacturer's costs so I would expect a markup for the individual test to cost more like $70-$85 if it came to market. 

Buffer and Reagents $210 bulk = 100-200 tests = $1-2.00 per test

LAMP mix  $200 for 100 reactions = $2 per test

NA filter+ amplification: $700 for 40-50 tests =  $14.00-17.50 per test

Green fluorescent nucleic acid dye is $42/2 tests or 5ml for $180/10 tests  link = $18-21 / per test

smartphone hsv2 tester.png

Dr. Halford needs to get a few of these! I wonder if the study / trail participitants would be onboard?

WilsoInAus

The issue though is that it may be that shedding is like a volcano erruption. It happens sporadically, viral copies spew onto the skin's surface and can be gone in hours or much less. It may be that asymptomatic infections occur as a result of one of these 'vulcano' eruptions occurring during sex itself. 

Thus it may be that detecting HSV an hour or so before sex means that it is actually safer to have sex!

I feel the answer still lies in either vaccines to reduce shedding in the first place and maybe some form of topical cream rubbed into skin that kills and prevents the virus from surfacing at all.

Constant Diplomat
45 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

The issue though is that it may be that shedding is like a volcano erruption. It happens sporadically, viral copies spew onto the skin's surface and can be gone in hours or much less. It may be that asymptomatic infections occur as a result of one of these 'vulcano' eruptions occurring during sex itself. 

Thus it may be that detecting HSV an hour or so before sex means that it is actually safer to have sex!

I feel the answer still lies in either vaccines to reduce shedding in the first place and maybe some form of topical cream rubbed into skin that kills and prevents the virus from surfacing at all.

I recall seeing graphed shedding rates in a study (it was so long ago, I cannot recall what or where... :/) that seemed to indicate this. For example- a swab at 9am showed no shedding, yet four hours later at 10am there was shedding, and by 2pm, no shedding.

The doubt, or mystery in my mind raises questions- does not sporadic shedding imply less risk of transmission- albeit with more of a roll of the dice effect that comes with brief and random shedding patterns? Also, thinking back to the transmission and shedding stats from the most well known and well funded studies (you can actually find a good summary of these on wikipedia, with links to the studies in the references)- these stats offer a pretty low transmission risk, yet one fifth of the western worlds population has genital herpes.

One theory could be that culturally the west is liberal with unprotected sex, alcohol, and party drugs. Perhaps this is the combination that, as you say, could be causing people to shed during sex, throw in the potential of flesh abrasion from the friction allowing the virus to enter weakened cells, and we could have a clearer picture?

Just 'spitballing' ideas.

lali

@OFMDH im a bit skeptical about this. You say it will show if any viral DNA is present. Its not specific for hsv. Theres aloott of different viruses obviously. So if its not specific how is this going to work?

lali

Unless it compares different DNA's so it can identify which virus it is...or theres a specific way to identify it and not just by the degree of fluorescent intensity. Or else it could be just any viruses...

OFMDH
1 hour ago, lali said:

@OFMDH im a bit skeptical about this. You say it will show if any viral DNA is present. Its not specific for hsv. Theres aloott of different viruses obviously. So if its not specific how is this going to work?

There's a misunderstanding here. The device performs loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP).  To make LAMP work you also need to add in the specific primer for the virus you're testing for in the chemical mix. Here is a list of primers: [LINK] HIV, HSV1, HSV2, CMV, etc. Thus with the specific primer you can use the device to test HIV to HSV and beyond.

OFMDH
1 hour ago, lali said:

And by my experience in a lab, DNA extraction is very sensitive to contamination. 

It has nucleic acid isolation membranes in the microfluidic chip. Large samples can be filtered through the membrane and you therefore can get high sensitivity. 

lali
14 hours ago, OFMDH said:

To make LAMP work you also need to add in the specific primer for the virus you're testing for in the chemical mix. Here is a list of primers: [LINK] HIV, HSV1, HSV2, CMV, etc. Thus with the specific primer you can use the device to test HIV to HSV and beyond.

Okay that's exacly what i was wondering. Makes sense. Thank u for the explanation.

Edited by lali

crisper
19 hours ago, OFMDH said:

There's a misunderstanding here. The device performs loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP).  To make LAMP work you also need to add in the specific primer for the virus you're testing for in the chemical mix. Here is a list of primers: [LINK] HIV, HSV1, HSV2, CMV, etc. Thus with the specific primer you can use the device to test HIV to HSV and beyond.

Hi Hurts, where can I get this device?

crisper
8 minutes ago, crisper said:

Hi Hurts, where can I get this device?

Sorry, just noticed it's not available or is it????

Atrapasueños

Este dispositivo es una arma de doble filo, puede beneficiarte, y saber en qué momento eres contagioso, pero también el saberlo generará estrés.,