World's Largest Herpes Support Group
PurpleandGray

Olive Leaf Extract?

PurpleandGray

Does it really work fir some?! Can someone please help me with more information on Olive Leaf extract? Dosing would be very helpful! 

JBnATL

This website has a key word search function so if you search for that you will find every single post anyone has ever made about it for the past 16 years.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

JB

SureWhyNot

If you search you will find a list of antiviral herbs, Olive Leaf being one of them. Like any herb, or supplement, not everything is ideal for every individual. What works for my chemistry may not work for yours. I now have black spots, on the left side of my body following veins, from taking a combination of Ginko and Dong Quai. Decided I need these all by myself because they are so good for others. I had a biopsy done because they are so strange and science has no idea what they are. That was 20yrs ago and I still have them.  Herbs are chemicals. This is why there are trained professionals to guide us through the choices that are appropriate for us, and only us. I know it is hard to find the right person so until you do take charge and learn how to ask your own body what is right for you at the time.

Look up Muscle Testing. This is something you can do for yourself or have a friend do for you. Your body will tell you what you need, or at least prevent you from putting the wrong thing in. 

This virus works in strange ways so go after it with strange ways. Gives you back the power over your own life. Helps you make stronger more appropriate choices.

Think outside the box time.

Edited by SureWhyNot

sclg

@PurpleandGray I read another post of yours about how Valtrex doesn't work for you. It didn't work for me either, but switching to Acyclovir did for some reason.

I also take Olive leaf extract, oregano oil, and Lysine. I take all 4 of these every day.

When I first contracted genital herpes 10 years ago (at 18, and I'm now 28), I had a hard time keeping outbreaks at bay. The acyclovir had the outbreaks down to 1-2 a year. Then 2 years ago I introduced Olive Leaf Extract, Oregano Oil, and Lysine into my regimen. Those 3, with the Acyclovir have helped tremendously. I have had one outbreak in 2 years and happened shortly after having a major surgery (which depleted my immune system which is why it happened I think). 

I hope this helps!

PurpleandGray
On December 9, 2016 at 11:48 AM, sclg said:

@PurpleandGray I read another post of yours about how Valtrex doesn't work for you. It didn't work for me either, but switching to Acyclovir did for some reason.

I also take Olive leaf extract, oregano oil, and Lysine. I take all 4 of these every day.

When I first contracted genital herpes 10 years ago (at 18, and I'm now 28), I had a hard time keeping outbreaks at bay. The acyclovir had the outbreaks down to 1-2 a year. Then 2 years ago I introduced Olive Leaf Extract, Oregano Oil, and Lysine into my regimen. Those 3, with the Acyclovir have helped tremendously. I have had one outbreak in 2 years and happened shortly after having a major surgery (which depleted my immune system which is why it happened I think). 

I hope this helps!

Thank you so incredibly much for the information! It makes me so happy to hear that things do get better eventually! How long would you say you were really bad for? I'm 3 months in and have had maybe 8 days of feeling decent :(. Did you have other symptoms or mostly just lesions? I can't thank you enough and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help me! I will absolutely take this advice to heart! 

Edited by PurpleandGray
Added more

sclg

@PurpleandGray Oh definitely! The first couple months are the hardest because your body is adjusting. My first outbreak was so bad the that doctor said she didn't think it was Herpes and if it was it was the worst outbreak she's ever seen. 

I'm trying to remember exactly what my experience was like those first months in terms of frequency of outbreak but I can't quite remember exactly (soon you will forget too and just be living your regular life! :)). I remember that I had a hard time keeping them at bay after any sexual interaction with my bf at the time. 

I was so depressed about it and felt pretty hopeless, but switching to Acyclovir twice a day helped. I now only take it once a day (+Lysine, Olive Leaf Extract, and Oregano Oil). 

I'd say 3 months of it being really sucky is probably pretty normal, but again, it's about figuring out what works for you. 

I take Acyclovir and Olive Leaf Extract in the morning, and Lysine and Oregano Oil at night. It's important to be religious about taking it. I think being consistent with the herbs and medication is key!

When I first contracted I had a high fever and the lesions. Then from there on out it was just the lesions. 

I want you to know that I've taken Acyclovir for 10 years and it's been completely fine. I have noticed zero side affects. I have been in serious relationships lasting between 2-6 years a piece and have never transferred to my partners (and we did not use protection, and they were aware of my status). I've also been pregnant and had a baby while on it with no complications or affects to the pregnancy or birth or baby. 

PurpleandGray

Thank you SO much again for the helpful information! I greatly appreciate it and dream of the day this is all just a vague memory! If you have time could you please tell me the dosage you use for each. I'll take all of your advice to heart. I'm so glad you're doing better! Thank you so much!! 

Edited by PurpleandGray

sclg

@PurpleandGray 

The dosages are:

Olive Leaf: 900 mg

Oregano Oil:  460 mg

Lysine: 1000 mg

Acyclovir: prescribed dosage (I can't quite remember but will look next time I'm home).

One thing to remember is to buy high quality organic vitamins from a trusted source like Whole Foods, or natural foods store (you could buy online too!). It can get a bit pricey-- but it's totally worth it!

I made up my own regimen based on what I read online, so these dosages could probably be fiddled with, but it's what I've been doing and it's been working pretty well. 

Felix12

I had once used mega doses of olive leaf extract and had a different response than I have had from any other remedy. I had a massive outbreak, much like my first one, and my lymph nodes were swollen, which only has ever happened during my primary outbreak. I stopped taking it after that, but always wondered if the bad outbreak was actually the olive leaf extract working to exposure the virus to my immune system. I wondered if I had continued mega dosing though the outbreak, if it would have sent my herpes into remission.

Nicoli
On 12/14/2016 at 8:14 PM, Felix12 said:

I had once used mega doses of olive leaf extract and had a different response than I have had from any other remedy. I had a massive outbreak, much like my first one, and my lymph nodes were swollen, which only has ever happened during my primary outbreak. I stopped taking it after that, but always wondered if the bad outbreak was actually the olive leaf extract working to exposure the virus to my immune system. I wondered if I had continued mega dosing though the outbreak, if it would have sent my herpes into remission.

Felix, I believe you suffered from "herx", Herxheimer reaction, which is a 'flushing' of the virus by introducing too much medicine or supplements at once. This flushing in no way contributes towards killing the virus. It simply causes a dramatic outbreak. The best thing you can do when trying new medicine or supplements to manage herpes is to start low and slow. Work up to the dosage over several days to prevent this reaction. I have caused massive outbreaks as well doing exactly what you've done. Managing H is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!

Sanguine108
26 minutes ago, Nicoli said:

Felix, I believe you suffered from "herx", Herxheimer reaction, which is a 'flushing' of the virus by introducing too much medicine or supplements at once. This flushing in no way contributes towards killing the virus. It simply causes a dramatic outbreak. The best thing you can do when trying new medicine or supplements to manage herpes is to start low and slow.

I don't think it was a Herx rxn.  Olive Leaf is a very cold substance to the body so if someone is already in a vulnerable state, just managing, then Olive leaf can be another insult making things worse.  Or Olive leaf is killing other pathogens in the body and that die-off is causing the herx rxn, belaboring/insulting the body, causing an OB.    OLE does help some people but I don't think it's for everyone.   I don't see how OLE will help "kill" herpes when it is in one's neuron's.  It's not some distinguishable, foreign entity like bacteria.

On 12/14/2016 at 8:14 PM, Felix12 said:

I had once used mega doses of olive leaf extract and had a different response than I have had from any other remedy. I had a massive outbreak, much like my first one, and my lymph nodes were swollen, which only has ever happened during my primary outbreak.

Yeah...  Imagine your body as a homeostasis, metabolic furnace.  Instead of putting a cup of cold water in, you dumped several gallons of cold water.  The body can carry on its metabolic-physiological workings with a small cup of cold but once too much fire is taken away then everything downstream is affected like digestion and the immune system.   Speaking of which, did you have loose stools afterwards?

I don't think OLE is that great a remedy. Definitely not a long-term one.   

Dan S H
On 12/12/2016 at 0:36 PM, sclg said:

@PurpleandGray Oh definitely! The first couple months are the hardest because your body is adjusting. My first outbreak was so bad the that doctor said she didn't think it was Herpes and if it was it was the worst outbreak she's ever seen. 

I'm trying to remember exactly what my experience was like those first months in terms of frequency of outbreak but I can't quite remember exactly (soon you will forget too and just be living your regular life! :)). I remember that I had a hard time keeping them at bay after any sexual interaction with my bf at the time. 

I was so depressed about it and felt pretty hopeless, but switching to Acyclovir twice a day helped. I now only take it once a day (+Lysine, Olive Leaf Extract, and Oregano Oil). 

I'd say 3 months of it being really sucky is probably pretty normal, but again, it's about figuring out what works for you. 

I take Acyclovir and Olive Leaf Extract in the morning, and Lysine and Oregano Oil at night. It's important to be religious about taking it. I think being consistent with the herbs and medication is key!

When I first contracted I had a high fever and the lesions. Then from there on out it was just the lesions. 

I want you to know that I've taken Acyclovir for 10 years and it's been completely fine. I have noticed zero side affects. I have been in serious relationships lasting between 2-6 years a piece and have never transferred to my partners (and we did not use protection, and they were aware of my status). I've also been pregnant and had a baby while on it with no complications or affects to the pregnancy or birth or baby. 

This gives me hope.  I'm in my first year.   Diagnosed since Dec and I've had  3 OBs.  This third one is definitely not near as bad as the first 2.  

Mellowyellow1

I would like to know if you should take the Valacyclovir and OLE together.  If so what are the benefits and the side effects.  I am 3 years into the virus and have terrible outbreaks and nerve pain.  I went off the prescription to try and clear it up naturally but fear I am worse unless I am in a transition phase.  It is all unknown to me and would love any advice.

friendlyboy

On 4/12/2016 at 11:00 PM, PurpleandGray said:

Does it really work fir some?! Can someone please help me with more information on Olive Leaf extract? Dosing would be very helpful! 

No, it is not an antiviral. You can read about its purported properties here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4227229/

A couple of 20% standardized oleuropein capsules/day are good enough.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:56 AM, Mellowyellow1 said:

I would like to know if you should take the Valacyclovir and OLE together.  If so what are the benefits and the side effects.

You can take both together with no problem. OLE is just a functional supplement (polyphenols from olive) good for general health support (it has some anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-atherogenic, etc, effects)

On 3/5/2017 at 6:58 AM, Sanguine108 said:

I don't see how OLE will help "kill" herpes when it is in one's neuron's.  It's not some distinguishable, foreign entity like bacteria.

This! OLE is good for immune support (reduces oxidative damage to NK cells), but in no way stops or affects the virus.

Arrowhead

@sclg. I am glad to read about your experience, and what works for you and your body.  I am almost on the same system ( Acyclovir 400 2xs a day, lysine 2000 mg,  and several immune boosters)  im about to add in the OOO.  

I think a lot of people on this site get defensive about herb claims.  I think killing or irradicating the virus isnt a reality, but kicking its butt is.  These herbs destroy viruses, they dont "cure" HSV2.  It seems to me there is proof that taking these antiviral herbs helps

1)  lengthening the time between out breaks.

2) shortening the time of out breaks.

Some use OLE, some use Laurcine, some use OOO, some BHT, some C. Silver.  Some stick with just lysine.  

I would love to get an update on how things are going with those that are using these on a regular basis.  Im pretty much a newbie, i had 3 ob's in the first 5 weeks, i then began my suppliments and herbs, ive had 2 clear months!  

JayTheWizard

Does anyone know which brand of of Olvie Leaf with 20% oleuropein or more is the best to take? I am looking at brands like Solary and Nature's Way, but what brand is the best brand?

I would like to take Olive leaf daily, but I don't want to waste money on a brand that says it has 20% oleuropein when it really doesn't have that much in it.

Arrowhead

Olivus seems to be an excepted brand.  Im currently taking "sunergenic 750 mg", but olivus sells in bulk on amazon, 1000 pills for $74.  500 mg..  Im slowly converting from 1 to the other.  Rember start slow.