World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
vyelake

Feeling alone

vyelake

Hello everyone:

I was diagnosed with Genital Herpes two weeks ago.  I finished my course of acyclovir and have now started on Valtrex.  I spend a lot of my free time doing research to find out what Herpes is and what to look for so I can know when I'm having an outbreak.  A couple weeks ago I was devastated, but I try not to let myself get too down.  I have a supportive boyfriend who is being very patient with me while I'm finding all this information out.  As we have found out, he is asymptomatic (lucky him!)

Just when I thought I finished my first outbreak, it seems like I am having another one again, it's a bit frustrating, and sometimes I feel as if I have no one to talk to. I live in a really tiny town of about 200, and the closest doctor is about 2 1/2 hours away from me.

I am hoping that this community will be a support to me.  It's already so comforting to know that there are others like me.  

WilsoInAus

Hi @vyelake and welcome.

Did you find out whether you have HSV-1 or HSV-2 as genitally, there is a bit of a difference in outbreak frequency expectations. Perhaps taking antivirals will help for the next handful of months but after that there is little reason not to let your body do the work of addressing the virus.

You can't reinfect your boyfriend so life should be able to return to be exactly as it was pre infection. 

Felix12

You are not alone love, and one thing to always keep in mind is that those lucky folks who don't carry hsv-1 or hsv-2, they are actually in the minority of the population. Most people have herpes. Period. As for the symptoms, they vary, but there are ways to manage them so keep your head up and you'll tackle this. We all will and are and will continue to be stronger for it.

vyelake
3 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hi @vyelake and welcome.

Did you find out whether you have HSV-1 or HSV-2 as genitally, there is a bit of a difference in outbreak frequency expectations. Perhaps taking antivirals will help for the next handful of months but after that there is little reason not to let your body do the work of addressing the virus.

You can't reinfect your boyfriend so life should be able to return to be exactly as it was pre infection. 

Hi!

It is HSV-2.  I'm hoping for the anti-virals to suppress my outbreaks, I have read that if you have HSV-2, that outbreaks are more frequent.  To be honest, I am scared of outbreaks, that's why when my doctor told me about Valtrex, I didn't hesitate to get the prescription.  

WilsoInAus

Did you have a swab test? Are you sure if it was a culture that it was properly typed? Does your boyfriend get oral cold sores and did you receive oral sex a few days before the outbreak?

These are a few questions to ask yourself to make sure you do know the type. Many people just get a culture that is positive for HSV and assumed to be 2 given genital location.

vyelake
2 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Did you have a swab test? Are you sure if it was a culture that it was properly typed? Does your boyfriend get oral cold sores and did you receive oral sex a few days before the outbreak?

These are a few questions to ask yourself to make sure you do know the type. Many people just get a culture that is positive for HSV and assumed to be 2 given genital location.

I did have a swab test, two actually!  One in the emergency room when I thought I had a UTI and the doctor there said that it visually looked like herpes and that he would send a swab, and another when I went to see a doctor a few days after that.  I only heard from the doctor I most recently saw with my test results that they were HSV, and that she believed it to be HSV-2 (her words).  I had vaginal sex before the outbreak.  I just asked my boyfriend if he'd ever had a cold sore, and he said no (:rolleyes: although I'm not sure if I believe that!).

Perhaps it could be HSV-1.  Would I have to get tested again to know for sure?

Lisajd

There are things that can trigger an outbreak including sex certain foods and stress so be mindful of these things e specially in the early stages.  The other thing is that's hormones as in your periods country girl an outbreak with these things to do with your appointment but you'll be best to look at what you were doing when you are getting an outbreak so if you can that determine what a cause may be

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• ManagingIllness
      By ManagingIllness
      Full paper here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X18315652
      Note sure if anyone wrote about this. I couldn't find any results for VC2 in the site's search. This is a live attenuated vaccine from Louisiana State University. The results do not seem super promising, as reducing shedding/recurrance by < 70% pre-clinical is common in many discontinued vaccines. Still, research is being done, which is always great!
      Prophylactic conclusions:
      "Our studies also showed that VC2 vaccine decreases the clinical severity of acute and recurrent HSV-2 disease in guinea pigs when provided by intramuscular vaccination. During the primary infection, animals vaccinated with VC2 had a significant decrease in clinical severity and replicating virus in the vaginal vault. Prophylactic vaccination also decreased the quantity of virus in the DRGs when compared to the No Treatment group. The ability to protect neural tissue from latent infection probably contributed to the decrease in the number of animals with recurrent lesions by 67% and the number of days with recurrent vaginal shedding by 46%. This reduction in shedding is particularly important because transmission of HSV-2 to uninfected persons is largely due to asymptomatic shedding [38], [39]."
      Theraputic conclusions:
      "When tested as a therapeutic vaccine, i.e., one designed to decrease recurrent disease and recurrent virus shedding in those already infected with HSV, the VC2 vaccine was not effective although it did reduce recurrent shedding, at least when compared to the gD2 vaccine. This may be because live attenuated vaccines have only limited replication in hosts that are already infected and thus do not have much of an impact in improving the immune response. Because infected hosts have frequent reactivations of virus that would be similar to a live vaccine inoculation it may be difficult for the vaccine to improve the immune response unless it is able to induce responses not activated by the host’s recurrent virus replication."
    • dflghdfgl
      By dflghdfgl
      48 hours ago I noticed an odd pattern of red, slightly raised marks on my inner thigh next to my testicles. (The smaller red bumps above it are from shaving and usually happen appear for a couple days then diminish)
      Went to walk-in clinic this morning and the doctor was confident this is not herpes but more likely a skin infection like folliculitis or acne (I have issues with acne). I asked for a swab and the doctor told me that it was not necessary and prescribed an antibacterial & steroid cream to apply twice daily.
      I also asked for a HSV blood test and the doctor said the test wouldn't tell me which type of HSV it was if I had it. She said if I had cold sores before, it would come back positive and be misleading for this infection (I informed her I never had a cold sore before).
      They haven't changed in progression over the 48 hours. Just seem to get a little less red at times.
      I will see my family doctor when she is back from vacation but hoping for second opinion here.
      Thoughts?
      CLOSEUP 1
      CLOSEUP 2
      THIGH 1
      THIGH 2
    • anom1990
      By anom1990
      Hi everyone.
      I’m still trying to process this but I am a gay male in my late 20’s that was recently diagnosed with HSV-2 in October 2018. I haven’t been sexually active since 2015 and have only engaged in sexual activity with four people in my life. I’m feeling a lot of emotions because of this; sad, angry, confused, violated, ect. Thoughts like who would’ve thought someone like little ole me, compared to all of the VERY promiscuous people in the world, would end up with Genital Herpes ESPECIALLY when I’ve been abstinent and just focusing on myself for years. That was a gunshot to my soul. It’s crazy that I’ve ALWAYS done regular STD testing, thinking I was negative for everything only to find out that Herpes was never included in my testing because I never knew you had to literally ask for that until this year. The CDC and medical industry is so fucked up and wrong for that. I’ve always used protection, except with my first boyfriend but that was back in 2009-2010 and a condom broke with a sexual encounter I had back in 2011 and I remember immediately putting a new one on him. Unfortunately, all of the men I’ve dealt with sexually are questionable. Half of me wants to know who gave this to me but the other half is like what’s the point. I only have access to contact three of them (I don’t know where the other guy is) but I haven’t spoken to two of them in years, one of them in a whole decade and it would be pretty awkward for me years later to write them a message about herpes. My first boyfriend and I are cordial but he’s still immature so it would be very awkward with him. Anyways, as I’ve been thinking and backtracking my life, I would think I caught this back in 2011 because I remember my anus itching so badly but I thought it was just my hair growing back because I do recall shaving before having sex so I guess that was my first outbreak. Other times I would just get a minor itch in and on my buttocks but I never would’ve thought herpes. I’ve never got outbreaks on my penile area. This is all still confusing and baffling to me. I’m still sad and feeling like my future love life was taken from me. I feel like part of my confidence was taken from me. I don’t even feel comfortable flirting and finding people attractive right now. I’m just releasing my thoughts about my situation but I do have questions. My results also came back saying I had extremely low Vitamin D deficiency; does HSV-2 have something to do with that? Is there a test I could take to tell me exactly when I contracted this virus? This question may be TMI but I masturbate and I notice that a lot of sperm doesn’t cum out sometimes, does HSV-2 have something to do with that?
    • 1stAnd10
      By 1stAnd10
      FIRST TIME TO WEBSITE. HELP....  Had a single small spot show up on my penis.  Never had anything like it occur previously.  Showed up the morning after having oral and vaginal sex with my wife, each of the two previous days, like 6 hours after intercourse.  Went to my doctor the next day and he was unsure but suggested testing for HSV-1 and HSV-2 as precaution.  Lab Test Results:
      IGG HSV-1 = <0.90 Negative 
      IGG HSV-2 = 9.55 (>1.09)
      Needless to say I'm trying to wrap my brain around all of this....   Is it possible the above is a false positive?  Have been tested in past and been negative.   I don't know how I contracted it.  All very upsetting but my real concern is my wife. 
      I'm married in a monogamous relationship and have not been with anyone else for over 3 years.  My wife and I are very sexually active, having sex multiple times a week most weeks since August 2015.  I think the longest we have gone without sex is like 2 weeks and that's been very rare.  My wife has oral cold sore out breaks multiple times a year but to my knowledge hasn't had any genital herpe symptoms and has never been tested for HSV 1 or 2. 
      What is the likelihood my wife has HSV-2?  That she contacted HSV-2 from me, that I contracted it from her or that we both came into the relationship with it?  The reality is none of this really matters, I'm just so upset that it involves her.  My worst nightmare. 
      Since the spot popped up I have refrained from being sexual with my wife.  Felt like it would be a breach of trust to be sexual with her without telling her there could be an issue. I wanted the test results first and wanted to discuss with her so, if there was an issue, we could work through this together.  Its been two weeks and she has started making comments about not having sex and asking if something is wrong SO I have to address this now.  
      Shouldn't she go to the dr? Shouldn't we go together?  Shouldn't she get tested?
      My doctor, whom she goes to for general stuff as well, has acted like no big deal.  Told me I could have had this for years or gotten it six months ago, no one knows for sure and people have this and deal with this all the time.  Obviously, if she is negative iy can't be a resent infection. He has suggested  suppression therapy of 500mg Valacycovir daily for each of us.
      Any thoughts or comments? Thank you.

• Jayday
      By Jayday
      What’s up all!! 
      I just wanna let you guys in on my first year of having hsv-2. I’ve had a very little first outbreak 2 small “sores” that were kinda apart, was scared went to urgent care and requested blood work and full STD PANEL, everything came back negative except for HSV-1 which I had as a young boy, and HSV-2 via IGG blood test. I must have had it for a while since it takes a while to build antibodies ( my levels were like 8 or9). Another reason I was scared was my gf was having UTI symptoms which she tested positive for it but I had her go get tested for HSV and she was positive via IGM...she was given antivirals but she only took them for a week. Now fast forward to here, we do not have any outbreaks or they might be so small we don’t even notice. We have a great sex life and are going strong. We do not blame each other because we both didn’t know who carried it first. But anyways just wanted to give update on my year and how it doesn’t bother my at having this disease, I forget about it most of the time. Thank for reading and god bless you all! 
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • WilsoInAus
      @Talx2520 based on what you say, Im not sure the odds exceed 50/50 that you have genital herpes. If you take a random genital infection from vaginal sex then about 95% of the time it’s HSV-2. How long after the episode was the blood test?
    • Talx2520
      Thanks for the response! My first suspected outbreak was definitely painful. Started with what felt like a UTI, then noticed what looked like ulcers starting 1.5 days after unprotected sex. Never scabbed over, but I had a horrible itch that lasted 2  weeks (didn't feel like yeast). Given my symptoms, I've pretty sure its genital herpes, but I mean it could have been some allergy (I had extremely rough intercourse in the middle of the wilderness, sorry if that is tmi lol and maybe naive of me to think it was a weird plant). Both my mom, sister, and grandma get coldsores and I feel like i've totally shared drinks with them even during their outbreaks. Can't remember if I ever had one though. I am not totally sure how I should go about disclosing in general. Should I mention I had a full panel and hsv-1 came up positive and that I am not sure where it is? I really wish I had just gotten it swabbed, but couldn't afford it without insurance at the time. I was under the impression that if it was herpes, it would come back and I could get it swabbed, but I realize now that with HSV-1 that isnt always the case. 
    • WilsoInAus
      @viralfrog given your symptoms do not react to any known antiviral doesn thatvsuggest these are not herpes lesion?  Lets apply Occam’s razor here.
    • viralfrog
      @Lulupazoola I have tried with a straw but it's difficult to create enough suction if the straw is deep enough in your throat  After drinking 6g from a shotglass I immediately drink a glass of water to dilute it down the throat.  Little update: blisters, redness and lethargy are back today. I'm still off the antivirals completely and my outbreaks are not any worse than usual for now. That's interesting, it seems I don't react at all to Acyclovir.   
    • viralfrog
      Technically speaking, someone with a strong immune system could have a mild initial outbreak. Normally, they would remain mild and decrease over time. However, if you put yourself in a situation later that gives a big hit to your immune system (e.g. binge drinking, other illness, no sleep etc.) you could have a bigger outbreak as a result. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.