World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Felix12

Does immune system strength really correlate with number of OB's?

Felix12

I have a strong immune system and extremely good health. I get about an outbreak a month, and have symptoms daily. I've been thinking, could it be possible that the strength of one's immune system doesn't really have as great of an effect on the virus as thought?

So why do some people have a lot of outbreaks, while others do not? I believe the answer may lie in something either environmental or genetic. I've been thinking if there was some kind of way us sufferers could find a correlation in symptoms to non-herpes related factors, we may be able to figure something out. For example, if lactose intolerant people have no less than 12 outbreaks a year, that would be a significant finding. I'm just thinking out loud, but I'm curious to know some of your thoughts on this. 

Lisajd

I have seen others say they are healthy but get obs. Im fit and healthy and have no issues.  But stress is a trigger. Have you looked at whether there are other factors?  I think this virus is quite unpredictable.

Felix12

I do get stressed at times, but I haven't noticed my outbreaks happening any more during these times than times when I'm not stressed. It definately seems unpredictable. The only thing that is seemingly predictable is that it will happen within every 2 months. Why it decides to resurface is what makes me curious. This virus is like the ultimate puzzle, which is interesting if nothing else. It brings out the detective in all of us lol.

Because I care

I have read that it's because epithelial cells die off every 1 to 2 months. When the virus knows the cell it is infecting is about to die it activates and replicates and  causes an outbreak. The outbreak is not coming from the nerve ganglia. It is coming from the epithelial  cells (skin). Some strains of the virus infect the epithelial cells too,  There are different strains of the virus within each category of HSV. Those being HSV1 and HSV2. If you could do something to stop the virus from replicating during those predictable times you may be able to stop the outbreak cycle. They say selenium prevents the virus from replicating but there may be other things too.

MoniqueLow
On 15/12/2016 at 5:15 PM, Felix12 said:

I have a strong immune system and extremely good health. I get about an outbreak a month, and have symptoms daily. I've been thinking, could it be possible that the strength of one's immune system doesn't really have as great of an effect on the virus as thought?

So why do some people have a lot of outbreaks, while others do not? I believe the answer may lie in something either environmental or genetic. I've been thinking if there was some kind of way us sufferers could find a correlation in symptoms to non-herpes related factors, we may be able to figure something out. For example, if lactose intolerant people have no less than 12 outbreaks a year, that would be a significant finding. I'm just thinking out loud, but I'm curious to know some of your thoughts on this. 

I have read it's genetic disposition. We, who have symptoms despite the good immunity, lack of gene preventing virus to act. That's why my mom and siblings shows symptoms of ohsv 1, but my ex partners never showed any signs of infection (despite the fact I am almost sure they were exposed to my ohsv 1 many times). And those ex partners were far from super healthy and some of them had chronic diseases.... well, thank you mom :-)