World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Annelise

Concerned about first cold sore outbreak

Annelise

Hey everyone! 

So approximately 5 and a half weeks ago my top lip became swollen in a spot and felt chapped more than anything so I didn't think much of it, especially because I had just started using new chapstick so I figured it was that drying out my lips. 

About a week later I noticed there were small bumps within that original spot and decided it was my first cold sore so I started taking my valocyclovir twice a day for outbreaks. That didn't help and the one spot spread and within a couple days my entire top and bottom lips were covered in small bumps. 

It took about two weeks before I caved and bought abreva (first weekend of December) and it seemed to help by actually turning the bumps into sores and letting them heal. I used the abreva for 10 days which is the max you can do and my lips were better and just down to the original spot on my top lip. 

Because of this I started only taking my valocyclovir once a day so now though for the past week some mornings I've woken up and my lips seem better and some they've been crusty like I still have sores. I woke up this morning and my entire top and bottom lips feel like sandpaper again and hurt and all the bumps are back.

what am I doing wrong???

i want to have normal lips again. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you so much.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Real $lim Katie
      By Real $lim Katie
      Hi there friends My name is Katie and I have been brutally embarrassed and bullied by the cold sores I get since kindergarten. I used to get them every time the seasons changed like clockwork and they would continue to affect me into my adulthood, restricting me from wanting to go to school/work/out with friends/etc.
      To help empower me, I made this video parodying "7 Rings" by Ariana Grande to embody embracing your true amazingness despite your cold sore. It includes the tips that I have learned over my 23 years to zap the sore before they get worse and my roommate/bestie designed and created all the clothes featured in it. Check it-
      MY COLD SORE TIPS--
      -zinc
      -lysine
      -carmex
      -celery juice
      -coconut oil
      -valtrex
      have helped shorten the life of my cold sore WHAT HELPS YOU???
      #REALSLIMSORECHALLENGE : post the video & say your OWN tips to SHORTEN THE LIFE OF PESKY ASS COLD SORES. 

Also, get out of your house and live your life!!! 1/2 people have cold sores, why do they make us feel so bad about ourselves?

DESTIGMATIZE THE SORE!

Love you all

• Charla
      By Charla
      Recently had my first big outbreak (I had a scare of what I thought could have been one last month but even though I got swabbed asap tested it came back negative). After about a week into the outbreak on my genitals I then had an oral outbreak (never had a cold sore before at least to my awareness). While I am on antivirals (taken the day the cold sore showed and the genitals have started clearing this oral one just seems to be getting worse. The nurse said it was likely HSV-2 but I am still waiting for my results. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to cope with this oral outbreak? I am currently staying at my boyfriends' house and am worried it will travel from inner lip/mouth to be more visible, the idea of his parents seeing it fills me with dread.
      Also, any good websites/blogs/youtubers to follow to give me a little more hope to this all. 
    • Gracieluewho
      By Gracieluewho
      I was just diagnosed with HSV 1 and this was the first time I had been tested for it. I am not sure how long I’ve had it and now I’m feeling a lot of stress and anxiety. A lot of my friends have had cold sores before and I know they’re super common but I am so afraid of passing it to someone else with an unknown outbreak. I know that HSV 1 can be oral or genital but is most commonly oral. I don’t think I’ve had an outbreak yet because I figured it would be easy to recall. I’ve had a small fluid filled bump above my lip for a month or so that at one point I picked off and it grew back. It hasn’t bursted and doesn’t hurt at all. I’m not sure if this is my first outbreak or if it’s just something else. Is there any kind of medication I can take to lower the chances of spreading it to another person?
    • Verver23
      By Verver23
      I've recently had a cold sore outbreak and used abreva to treat it. After the blisters drain 4-5 days later I usually apply vaseline to prevent dryness. It seemed to make the scab fall fast but now my lip is pink/red and has some residual swelling. Is this ok? How to I fix the color and slight swelling?
    • silentsuffering
      By silentsuffering
      Hi everyone! 
      Earlier this week I saw my doctor as I was experiencing some discomfort in my genital area... long story short I had unprotected sex, my doctor or did a physical examination and believed it is herpes. 
      I received a call today advising that my blood came back negative for all STD’s and the sexual contact was made over 10 days ago. Rash is sores are still fresh.
      From what I’ve read false negatives do occur but that’s usually if the rash isn’t active...
      He put me on Valaciclovir on Monday (it’s now Thursday) and it appears to be getting worse. I am sceptical that I do have herpes even with a negative blood test, he wants me to have another test done in a month to be sure however what else could this be?
      Sorry for the graphic image too..

• Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • WilsoInAus
      @Talx2520 based on what you say, Im not sure the odds exceed 50/50 that you have genital herpes. If you take a random genital infection from vaginal sex then about 95% of the time it’s HSV-2. How long after the episode was the blood test?
    • Talx2520
      Thanks for the response! My first suspected outbreak was definitely painful. Started with what felt like a UTI, then noticed what looked like ulcers starting 1.5 days after unprotected sex. Never scabbed over, but I had a horrible itch that lasted 2  weeks (didn't feel like yeast). Given my symptoms, I've pretty sure its genital herpes, but I mean it could have been some allergy (I had extremely rough intercourse in the middle of the wilderness, sorry if that is tmi lol and maybe naive of me to think it was a weird plant). Both my mom, sister, and grandma get coldsores and I feel like i've totally shared drinks with them even during their outbreaks. Can't remember if I ever had one though. I am not totally sure how I should go about disclosing in general. Should I mention I had a full panel and hsv-1 came up positive and that I am not sure where it is? I really wish I had just gotten it swabbed, but couldn't afford it without insurance at the time. I was under the impression that if it was herpes, it would come back and I could get it swabbed, but I realize now that with HSV-1 that isnt always the case. 
    • WilsoInAus
      @viralfrog given your symptoms do not react to any known antiviral doesn thatvsuggest these are not herpes lesion?  Lets apply Occam’s razor here.
    • viralfrog
      @Lulupazoola I have tried with a straw but it's difficult to create enough suction if the straw is deep enough in your throat  After drinking 6g from a shotglass I immediately drink a glass of water to dilute it down the throat.  Little update: blisters, redness and lethargy are back today. I'm still off the antivirals completely and my outbreaks are not any worse than usual for now. That's interesting, it seems I don't react at all to Acyclovir.   
    • viralfrog
      Technically speaking, someone with a strong immune system could have a mild initial outbreak. Normally, they would remain mild and decrease over time. However, if you put yourself in a situation later that gives a big hit to your immune system (e.g. binge drinking, other illness, no sleep etc.) you could have a bigger outbreak as a result. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.