World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Snoopirac

Self worth, newly diagnosed with herpes

Snoopirac

One of the reasons I decided to be transparent and share my journey with herpes on social media is to hopefully help someone else dealing with the same situation.  Im not a writer,  I don't do this because my passion is to write.  I'm simply at a point where I'm in need of help.  This new diagnosis has caused me a lot of turmoil.  I'm still in shock and in a bit of denial.  I'm not only hoping to help others, I'm also looking to be helped myself, and gain as much support as I can, because I don't have much of it from family.

Sharing so much personal information about myself online is intimidating and scary.  Which is why I chose to remain anonymous.  I knew I had to get ready for internet trolls or haters.  Today I got my first hate comment.  Someone commented on one of my posts that I was nasty.  I kept it civilized and replied with my hands shacking "that is your opinion, you are no better than me,obviously your attitude is nasty." All I can do is brush it off and move forward.

I'm surprised it didn't affect me more, maybe it's the meds or maybe it's because I am getting comfortable with my diagnosis, who knows.  But I don't think that I am nasty, even though for a while I thought I was a walking disease.  But many people have it, I'm not the only one.  I'm just someone who because of my lack of sex education didn't protect myself as well as I could have, and now I'm taking the initiative to do so.  I'm unlucky In a way I guess but not nasty :)

beingstdconsious.com

Edited by Snoopirac

Sansa218

Hi Snoop.....I think it is extremely courageous and selfless that you are sharing your experiences via social media.  It blows my mind how people feel free to criticize and say really mean things to others on social media.  It would be so much better if they just didn't say anything at all, don't you think?  You obviously touched a nerve for that troll and you did great in responding.  You are right, you do have to brush it off and move on, but it does redirect you back a bit to examining your own feelings about having herpes...and I think it is great that you recognize that you need support too. I think many of us still have those negative feelings about herpes that just are stuck in our heads because that's all we heard growing up.  But those are just feelings and they really don't hold any power...they are thoughts, not real, they are just impressions that will fade over time.  Hang in there....you are doing great and come here to talk whenever you need to.

SureWhyNot
3 hours ago, Snoopirac said:

I'm surprised it didn't affect me more, maybe it's the meds or maybe it's because I am getting comfortable with my diagnosis, who knows.

I applaud your strength. You will always have to face nasty people when you face the world. Remember that their minds are closed so there is not much point in letting them affect you. You are facing them to bring about positive change for others, the nasty sheeple create this need for change. You are making a difference. There is nothing braver or more noble for a human to do than to help others. 

ANewSelf

Thank you for sharing your story.  I will check out your blog.  I was just diagnosed this week, and I've started my own personal, inner journey of learning from this experience.  Blaming and criticizing my self or the person I was with is not productive.  I understand those thoughts and feelings.  But, I try not to stay there.