World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
PurpleandGray

What is the Western Blot? Still negative

PurpleandGray

Hi everyone. Thanks to JB I just started looking at Terri Warren's website. She talks a lot about the Western Blot test. I've heard some of you speak of it here as well. What exactly is this test? I always thought that it was the same thing as the Igg blood test. Can I order this test from my doctor? 

I just got my 14 week results back and again my tests are all negative. My OBGYN said I still could have HSV. I'm getting so warm out thinking of whether I have it or not! Has anyone tested positive after14 weeks? 

For those of you who don't know my story I'll type a bit. I had unprotected oral sex with protected sex with a man who had a sore. Things moved very quickly. A few days later I had extreme tingling on my mouth, vaginia and butt. A few weeks after that I had a fever, felt rundown, had extreme burning and itching and then little bumps appeared. They felt like paper cuts but looked like little pimples or scabs. I tried to see if it would clear up but after 3 weeks couldn't take it anymore.my Doctor looked at me and gave me Valtrex and a yeast infection pill. A few weeks later we did another round of Valtrex. I'm not on a daily dose of Valtrex but have just tested negative for the3rd time at14 weeks! I got in contact with the mama she admits to having herpies. I can't imagine I don't have it downy isn't it showing up?! Oh btw my doctor tried to take a swab but the lesionsare so small it didn't work. Should I come off the Valtrex and force an OB and try to get it reswabed? I still get vagional burning some days and a few cold sores have popped up on my lips. Is there anything else I can do to figure out what's going on with me? Do yeast infections cause tiny red bumps, tingling or flu like symptoms? In the past 14 weeks ivedobe7 days of Valtrex, then 10 days and now Amon daily Valtrex which stated about 12 days ago. Would that be effecting my blood test results? I also started a high dose of vitamin C, garlic and magnesium. I'm praying I figure this out soon. 

Edited by PurpleandGray

Felix12

I suspected that I had contacted herpes and immediately got tested. I'll never forget the nurses judgemental tone when she called me and told me: "So..you have herpes. Contageous. Good luck." And hangs up the phone. Anyways, I had the hospital send me the test results, which to my surprise were negitive. She had diagnosed me based on a visual examination. I was skeptical of the result, but still convinced I has hsv-2. I went to another doctor who said, "we don't typically test for herpes, as most people will test positive. An aunt with a cold sore could've kissed you as a baby." I was still frustrated that I couldnt seem to get a conclusive result or a physician who actually cared, so a couple of months later I got tested for a second time at another hospital. Positive. It confirmed what I already has know. Apparently, it can take some time for your body to produce antibodies. 14 weeks seems like it would be a long time for a test to still show negative, but not impossible.

PurpleandGray

Thanks so much for the info! Do you remember what time frame you were st when you finally tested positive?

Shameon that nurse for not being more caring. None of us asked for this. How have you felt physically since the diagnosis?   

Felix12
1 hour ago, PurpleandGray said:

Thanks so much for the info! Do you remember what time frame you were st when you finally tested positive?

Shameon that nurse for not being more caring. None of us asked for this. How have you felt physically since the diagnosis?   

My pleasure! I think it was 2 months after my first test that I tested positive. But I didn't test in between the initial one (the one I had the week I believe I was infected) and the positive one. 

It's been almost 3 years, and I have had about an outbreak a month since. Lucky for me, they are generally small ( one-fourth small bumps) and heal up within 5 or 6 days. Aside from that, I've experienced a strange tailbone pain/pressure daily since getting the virus. Itching is also present on and off throughout the week. Maybe I shed a lot.. don't know. 

This virus is annoying as hell, but it hasn't stopped me. I still do all the same things that I did before, and athletically I've been just as sucessful. Honestly, I think about it mostly when things in my life aren't going well. When things are going well and life is good, but rarely think about it and my symptoms are a lot less. One thing I've learned is that positive attitude is the biggest detriment to herpes. The way I see that is if stage four cancer patients like Craig Sager and millions of others have remained hopeful and positive with their diagnosis, I have no reason not to with my little insignificant condition.

WilsoInAus

@PurpleandGray your testing is now conclusive. You can confidently conclude that you are not infected with genital herpes.

The Westernblot is a more accurate test for antibodies to HSV. Normal IgG testing involves just one antigen (known as gG-1 or gG-2) to attract IgG antibodies. The Westernblot uses the full array of virus antigens that I believe numbers around 40. Your blood is introduced to this cocktail of 40 antigens and what sticks to them is analysed.

However the Westernblot is only of limited value to you. If you test positive for HSV-1 you can only really conclude that you had a childhood oral infection and it would actually strengthen the evidence that you were not infected in the episode you describe. Equally a negative will prove that you do not carry the virus. It seems worth it to pursue this test given there is around a 90% chance it will be negative for both types and quash your concerns.

One thing that is clear is that it is best to cease antivirals at this time. If symptoms persist then get them swabbed. This is the only reliable way to determine a genital HSV-1 infection.

PurpleandGray

Thank you Wilso. I hope this is correct! I had asked Terri Warren what she feels I should do so it will be interesting to see what she says when she replays. Can you think if any other STDs or illnesses that would cause these issues? Thanks for your help.

ps: Does me being on the Valtrex at all effect me results? 

Edited by PurpleandGray

EM424

I have a similar story.  I have never tested positive through IGG or blood. The swab is the best way to go. I went in for so many blood tests, they told me to stop and relay on the swab as it is the most accurate. Being on Valtrex should not effect results

Peacepleez

I've pcr swabbed (urethra) at least 5 times off valtrex with no positive results. Don't get distinct outbreaks except for first one. How long can it take to seroconvert (more than 6 months?). I know I have it. It's not anxiety. Please advise. 

PurpleandGray
1 hour ago, EM424 said:

I have a similar story.  I have never tested positive through IGG or blood. The swab is the best way to go. I went in for so many blood tests, they told me to stop and relay on the swab as it is the most accurate. Being on Valtrex should not effect results

Hey thanks for the reply. So you never ever tested positive? Did your swabs come back positive? How long have you had this? How are you doing physically? Do you take Valtrex daily? 

EM424

I tested positive through swabs September and December 2015. I am taking Valtrex 1 gram per day. I was doing okay.  first OB,in a long time, this week. Mostly irritation and neuropathy.  get swabbed..