World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Peacepleez

Poll: Neuropathy sufferers

Peacepleez

I wanted to know (unscientifically) how many of us suffer from neuropathy.  It seems like only 1-2% of HSV patients have this by some sources.  Can you chime in if you do suffer from neuropathy and how long.  Unfortunately, no ability to create a "poll" on this website so it'll require responses.  Maybe we can tally in the end.  The hope of course is that something like the Theravax will help alleviate symptoms.  Thanks!

SureWhyNot

I had gHSV2 for 33yrs without neuropathy or prodrome symptoms. I now have had both symptoms on and off for the last 3yrs since starting to get Sacral OB's. When I get the right supplement for my body it goes away within hours and stays away until I eat or supplement the wrong thing.

Seeker1960

I was infected 1 year ago and have had neuropathy for the entire time. It was worse in the beginning but still is a constant reminder that I have herpes. I really think I could deal with the occasional outbreak rather than this constant burning. It does calm down at night for me at night so that I can sleep.

Peacepleez

I guess the fact that so few have posted about neuropathy here means either that it is not a common problem for most GHSV sufferers or there isn't the critical mass on this site regarding this problem.  For the severity I suffer from, I guess I'm thankful others aren't as debilitated by neuropathic pain.  It's a constant reminder in my daily routine.  It makes thinking of the future hard if this is how it's going to be for perpetuity.  I was hoping that others who are suffering like me (6 months continuous neuropathic pain unabated since diagnosis) could shed some light on where this goes with time.  Please write about your experiences.  I understand the herpes stigma, OBs, risk of asymptomatically transmitting to others BUT constant pain is a whole other dimension unexplored, frustrating, and so defeating....i never knew

Edited by Peacepleez

Hansje

I don't know if the pain I often experience is neuropathic. It is a deep pain that starts in the hips, kind of sinks into the legs, and after that my arms join the pain party. It is a pain together with a tremendous heavyness. In my case a shot of hydroxocobalamin (B12)  helps a lot. For about a week, in stressfull times less than a week. Without these shots I would crash. But I don't know if this pain is (partly) herpes related.

Peacepleez

Bump again. Those out there. Please share. Looking for similar experiences and coping mechanisms. Thanks

LillianPanos

Exercise is a great reliever for me. I can blame the pain on it. Also its seems to minimize the pain as body in constant motion when exercising etc. Heating pad. Ice packs and epson salt baths

Maybe consider doing a survey not sure site will allow for that

Theblues

In my 25 years, I've tried just about every sort of natural and medical intervention. I currently take Panadiene Forte on those days when the pain is minimal and Tramal when I'm having a tough day. I realise it's not an ideal way to live but I've been ground down by time and having 12 hours complete respite from a drug has helped me to retain my sanity. I do wish I had something more positive I could add to this conversation but this my reality. 

I'm a great believer in Bill Halford's vaccine so even though I'm all the way over in Australia I'll be making my way to wherever it's available ASAP. 

Free73

If you suffer from nerve issues, then you should be doing massage. Forget about natural potions and lotions.....waste of time and money. Have a regular remedial massage (not too vigorous, but vigorous enough that you are releasing tension through your body)

Theblues
28 minutes ago, Free73 said:

If you suffer from nerve issues, then you should be doing massage. Forget about natural potions and lotions.....waste of time and money. Have a regular remedial massage (not too vigorous, but vigorous enough that you are releasing tension through your body)

I can see where you are coming from but I'm not too sure a regular remedial massage will alleviate where I'm feeling my pain. Also at times my pain is akin to someone holding a lit cigarette to my skin and it's virtually impossible to just switch off and ignore it.

Seeker1960
11 hours ago, Peacepleez said:

Bump again. Those out there. Please share. Looking for similar experiences and coping mechanisms. Thanks

I have been on this site have met many who have had neuropathy attributed to their HSV infection. James39, Berliner, EM424 and many others that have pased through. Part of it is when soneone says they get PHN from herpes they get practically attacked by those who swear it can't be. I've had to defend myself over this topic more times than I can count. So most of us in this minority look for answers and then move on then deal with it the best we can.

Trust me there are alot more people who are dealing with this as we are but they either have stopped visiting here or dont know about here.

Edited by Seeker1960

Free73
2 hours ago, Theblues said:

I can see where you are coming from but I'm not too sure a regular remedial massage will alleviate where I'm feeling my pain. Also at times my pain is akin to someone holding a lit cigarette to my skin and it's virtually impossible to just switch off and ignore it.

The central nervous system works as a whole, not just in parts. When you get the blood flowing throughout your body and you release tension, then it benefits your whole body. Trying to attack the single point of what you might think is the source is impossible.

Seeker1960
3 hours ago, Peacepleez said:

Do u think the vaccine will help resolve this?

If you read what is being reported by Vaxxer and a few others. Theravax may greatly reduce neuropathy. So I am hopeful that if the vaccine comes through it will help us tremendously 

Edited by Seeker1960

Guest Trying to cope

Hi all, 

I was diagnosed 2 months, one week ago. I am 45, female. Had groin pain, leg pain, buttock pain among many other symptoms, from the start. My immune system seemed to be kicking in and the pain getting better about three weeks ago, but then the skin on my entire body went numb, so I had to get a cortisone shot because they thought it was a drug reaction to tegretol, which I had been taking for the pain. It turns out that I think the skin numbness is probably hsv. Well, immediately after the shot my immmune system bit the dust and the pain has been spiraling, getting worse and worse each day.  It feels like it's getting so severe that the nerves will not be able to recover.  I had been self medicating with oxycodine which wasn't great for the pain at all. Today I called my GYN and told her please help I think I'm developing severe neuralgia. I read about some studies that say that starting amitryptiline at the same time during the acute outbreak as acyclovir may prevent neuralgia in patients who have had the disease less than three months. My GYN called in a prescription for neurontin today because she thought it was better, and within 2 hours I have some relief. The pain is still there but feels better. Apparently it can take 2 to 3 weeks to really kick in.  I don't know. I wanted to share this with others just to say it is giving me some relief and it or amytryptiline might really help others who are in the very early stages, combined with an antiviral.

Guest Trying to cope

Also, I wanted to add that these meds are supposed to be good for chronic sufferers, too. I wonder if over time, they could help preserve nerve function in everyone. 

SnowAngel
4 hours ago, Guest Trying to cope said:

Hi all, 

I was diagnosed 2 months, one week ago. I am 45, female. Had groin pain, leg pain, buttock pain among many other symptoms, from the start. My immune system seemed to be kicking in and the pain getting better about three weeks ago, but then the skin on my entire body went numb, so I had to get a cortisone shot because they thought it was a drug reaction to tegretol, which I had been taking for the pain. It turns out that I think the skin numbness is probably hsv. Well, immediately after the shot my immmune system bit the dust and the pain has been spiraling, getting worse and worse each day.  It feels like it's getting so severe that the nerves will not be able to recover.  I had been self medicating with oxycodine which wasn't great for the pain at all. Today I called my GYN and told her please help I think I'm developing severe neuralgia. I read about some studies that say that starting amitryptiline at the same time during the acute outbreak as acyclovir may prevent neuralgia in patients who have had the disease less than three months. My GYN called in a prescription for neurontin today because she thought it was better, and within 2 hours I have some relief. The pain is still there but feels better. Apparently it can take 2 to 3 weeks to really kick in.  I don't know. I wanted to share this with others just to say it is giving me some relief and it or amytryptiline might really help others who are in the very early stages, combined with an antiviral.

Thanks so much for this info! I started Valtrex a month in and started Amitriplyn at four months. I'm praying that it helps! Keep us all updated please!  

Malcolm

Yes I experience neuralgia approximately 20 of 30 days a months. The sensation is burning pain, stabbing jolts, and general hyper-sensitivity.

Edited by Malcolm

realscience77
38 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Yes I experience neuralgia approximately 20 of 30 days a months. The sensation is burning pain, stabbing jolts, and general hyper-sensitivity.

Very similar symptoms. Going on 2 years now. Seems like Ill have a week were I feel like I am almost back to normal physically then it repeats. 

useless

I feel fatigue and neuralgia all the time the burning started a year ago but I can cope right now. The pain can be bare able but it's the fatigue that gets me. Plus recently I have been experiencing burning tingling throughout my body and my face. My eyes have been giving me problems too. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms. 

SnowAngel
3 hours ago, useless said:

I feel fatigue and neuralgia all the time the burning started a year ago but I can cope right now. The pain can be bare able but it's the fatigue that gets me. Plus recently I have been experiencing burning tingling throughout my body and my face. My eyes have been giving me problems too. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms. 

Hey could you tell me how long it's been since you've gotten H? Do you have regular OBs too? Many people on here do get the burning and tingling. My burning is mostly in my vulva area but I do get a pain down my leg some days. 

useless

I was first diagnosed in 2008.font really have outbreaks anymore just the other symptoms I mentioned. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Morty123
      By Morty123
      Hey guys for those who struggle with daily nerves pain with doctor saying its not related to Herpes, please have a look on "Elsberg Syndrom" on Google.
      It describes exactly what we have, there are few study of it.
      It's important that doctors are aware of it, changing the vision they have of herpes, which is not just a "skin condition" for some of us

• Quest
    • McDuck
      By McDuck
      Hi. Will try to keep it short:
      Day 0 - Exposure with HSV2 confirmed female. Exposure = 1-time brief unprotected vaginal. Not sure if she had outbreak/shedding/blisters at that time. She was not on any meds.
      Day 5 - Redness and itchiness on the penis head and shaft on and off. Resolved in about a week. No lesions/blisters or other symptoms.
      Day 28 - Other symptoms started: tingling and nerve pains in the groin on and off throughout the day, radiating pains in the legs, fordyce spots appeared on the shaft, lower back and neck pain, burning in urethra (occasional), rashes on the body (occasional), diahrrea (occasional), overall nervousness and tiredness, flue like with feverish (occasional). No lesions/blisters.
      Day 30 - Tested HSV1 positive (IGG 19.6) (had it since childhood), HSV2 negative (IGG 0.3). All other STDs negative.
      Taken antibiotics for 5 days. Taken AV (acyclovir) for 10 days (Days 35-45). No symptoms at that time.
      Day 50 - Tested HSV1 positive (IGG 16.4), HSV2 negative (IGG 0.1). I believe AB went down a bit due to AV. All other STDs negative.
      Currenty symptoms persist on and off, but less severe: tingling and nerve pains in the groin, radiating pains in the legs. Still no lesions/blisters.
      Planning to retest again at Day 90. I am aware that prior HSV1 and AVs may delay HSV2 ABs production.
      What are your thoughts/advice? Thank you.

• hopeforall
      By hopeforall
      Hi All,
      I have been experiencing strange symptoms and wanted to know if any of you have similar experiences.
      Till January 2016, I was completely healthy with no known issues (Age: 28)
      In January, I had a sore above the lips which my PCP dismissed as acne (it looked like a cold sore and disappeared in two weeks).
      In April, I had another sore inside the mouth and the PCP prescribed Acyclovir (400 mg * 2 times a day).
      I took it for two days and immediately had severe side effects: dry eyes, dry mouth, tachycardia, chills.
      I was asked to stop the Acyclovir immediately.
      The other symptoms disappeared but the dry eyes and mild dry mouth continued to persist along with occasional numbness in the hands and feet.
      The dry eye was diagnosed as Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (paste-like secretions) leading to Blepharitis (I had never had any issues with the eye before this).
      There has been no diagnosis for the mild dryness in the mouth.
      The numbness in the hands/feet, joint/muscle pain in hands/legs has progressively increased over the last 5 months.
      I also have itching above my lips but have not had any recurrence of cold sores as of August 2016.
      [I had a set of tests in July 2016 for Viral Infections (HSV1, HSV 2 , HIV, EBV, Hepatitis A,B,C) and Autoimmune conditions (ANA, RF, SSA, SSB, CRP, ESR) and all of the tests were negative. I had an elevated Eosinophil count that was dismissed as "not useful"]

1) Can all these strange issues (peripheral neuropathy, joint/muscle pain, Meibomian gland dysfunction) be due to HSV Infection?
      2) Many of these symptoms match with Sjogren's Syndrome (except the MGD) but my tests were negative. Also, these started right after starting on Acyclovir.
      Can Acyclovir trigger autoimmune conditions?
      3) Has anyone else experiences symptoms similar to this?
      4) Does anyone have experience of seronegative autoimmune conditions (In the case of Sjogrens, I read that the number could be as high as 40%).
      5) If these are caused by HSV, will they get better over time?
      6) If these are caused by an Autoimmune condition triggered by HSV, could a potential HSV Vaccine cause the Autoimmune disease to go into remission?
      7) Can the high eosinophil count be used to diagnose anything? [That is the only abnormal result I have]
      8) Has anyone experienced abnormal reactions like tachycardia/chills with Acyclovir?

Anxiously look forward to replies as myself/doctors don't seem to have any clue regarding my current condition.
    • SomethingsUp
      By SomethingsUp
      - Seven condom-protected HSV II exposures from March 21 until 4 weeks later 
      - Partner had HSV for 8 years and was not having an outbreak or prodrome. - She'd never knowingly spread virus to protected or unprotected partners. 
      - Minor nerve sensations in pelvis and upper legs started four days after first exposure 
      - A few days later, I had sensations in my legs and pain in my feet, which have been the most prevalent symptom over these 2.5 months
      - Bad sciatic back pain within a week or two of exposure. Worse depending on my sleeping position. This no longer exists.
      - I developed SERIOUS hip soreness - it hurt to massage the muscle/flesh right below my pelvis. That improved greatly, after B12 supplementation (I'll explain)
      - Eventual nerve sensations in hands and wrists (but still mainly lower body)
      - I've had several episodes of skin sensitivity on my arms and legs, but it goes away quickly
      - I got one colorful migraine aura in May with no headache
      - On May 23, I got three small, red, flat marks on my upper groin/pelvic area (I have a picture). Virtually flat and totally painless cluster. I do have cystic acne but that is almost always raised.
      - I had a tender left groin lymph node this past week (June 10-12), and 2 weeks before that (same exact node). It's back to normal.
      - I got tinnitus (ringing of the ears) several times in May. 
      - Starting mid-April I've gotten muscle twitches, vast majority in legs - Current symptoms are nerve sensations in 1) wrists, 2) upper palm/lower fingers, 3) ankles, 4) outside of feet, 5) elbows and forearm, 6) soles of feet, 7) occasionally lower back and buttocks but not as often. All have been improving - lessening frequency and severity. They can happen at all parts of the day. - No genital area symptoms whatsoever since early pelvic nerve sensations within weeks of exposure

Other things to consider: 
      - I had sporadic eyelid twitches for a few days, weeks pre-exposure and then again post exposure 
      - I had sporadic heart palpitations for a few days pre-exposure, and another stretch post exposure 
      - I've long known I've had B12 deficiency, as a rarely supplementing vegan, but hadn't taken take my levels recently - B12 supplementation - started late April and continued daily - greatly reduced/eliminated my hip pain and possibly lessened other symptoms - I did three days in mid may with no B12 supplementation and hip pain returned badly - B12 may have improved my other pains as well, but not as drastically as the hip sensations.

I went to a neurologist and urologist, who said I have nothing to worry about (of course). Long story short they gave me blood work prescriptions.

I did my blood test on May 20, 8.5 weeks after the first exposure (which is the one 4 days before nerve symptoms). 

Negative HSV I and HSV II ... <0.90 

My B12 serum levels were extremely high but that is because I'd skewed them with heavy supplementation.

Over the past month my symptoms have stayed around the same - days with only minor sensations and other days where I feel pains in my ankles and feet when I walk. I usually take 2-3 doses of 5000IU of b12 daily. I think I saw a significant improvement when I switched my liquid B12 brand earlier this week but that's far from scientific.

Many of these neurological symptoms can be associated to both herpes and B12 deficiency. Some (one tender lymph node, three flat red spots, maybe even foot pain) suggest HSV II and others (migraine aura, ear ringing, heart palpitations and eye twitch even pre-exposure) suggest B12 deficiency. I could, of course, have both, I suppose... Or B12 supplementation could be helping herpes symptoms.

But the timing is so indicative of herpes to me. Four days after first exposure would be such a coincidence to get so many nerve symptoms. Severe foot pain was only 9 days after the exposure.   Then again, I did have minor, painless nerve-related symptoms before having sex, my exposure was low risk, and I tested negative. No sores, no skin pain.

So how accurate is my 8.5 week negative igg result? What do you think? I'm really scared and full of regret. I should have waited longer to begin a sexual relationship with this woman (who I am not longer with).   I am going to a doctor of osteopathy on Monday, but I know that you all have first hand experience at this. Thanks.
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • sadangel22
      For those of you with GHSV 1 or 2 how did you know you were having a second outbreak? I was diagnosed with GHSV-1 a month ago and have had no symptoms till now. For the past two days I've been super itchy but there are no bumps/ulcers like last time. I read somewhere that some people experience periodic itchiness and no other symptoms so I'm wondering, is this super common and is what is happening to me? Or do I need to prepare myself that this is most likely a second outbreak in it's initial stages? 
    • hunger4more
      We havent cured things not because we can't its because profits are a bigger priority. Trust me when I say I know it sounds like conspiracy talk but look at where and what they throw money at.... sickness is lucrative. So is death (War) The military budget is criminal to say the least, as is Nasa's budget That's just simple math, then look at all the obscene hurdles set in place to help deter anyone from going the distance. They only cry ethics when it comes to anything that could potentially benefit the greater good.
    • WilsoInAus
      I think it is very important for you to find out whether you carry HSV-1 or not. If you do, then any concerns you may have about HSV-1 are negligible. Many people carry an oral HSV-1, like your partner. This will be the only region of her body infected, that is the mouth in a practical sense. No contact with the mouth means no chance of infection for you. Hence there are zero issues with vaginal sex and you giving her oral. Kissing and you receiving oral sex are the feasible transmission possibilities. Perhaps the second is of minor concern, but your choice. If you decide you're never going to kiss a girl because she has HSV-1 orally then that will be your loss. Most girls have HSV-1 and all the cute ones!
    • WilsoInAus
      I disagree, we have made a significant contribution to keeping it on track and ensuring the OP has the correct information to cogitate upon. Let's keep the good work up!
    • Quest
      Why don't you care that we screwed up this thread. Whenever you scream hijacking a thread you are the one usually doing it! Aries, that book will show you how to raise your energy levels!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.