World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Evaluate

Gene Editing: A Review of CRISPR/Cas and the Challenges to Overcome

Evaluate

A many of you know, CRISPR/Cas is a gene editing technology that many hope to have cure a plethora of viruses and other genetic issues, including HSV.  Drs. Bryan Cullen and Edward Kennedy have put together a paper that discusses that status of the CRISPR/Cas technology.  Their paper is unpublished but will likely appear in January 2017.  I've taken a few snips from the paper that would be of interest to us here.  While there is some good information, I think the authors fall short on identifying all the issues with the technology in relation to HSV application.  Still, it reinforces what many of us already know.  Enjoy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27576009

Although the use of some form of liposome or nanoparticle is potentially feasible, the best-studied method of in vivo gene delivery is viral vectors, especially lentiviral vectors and vectors based on adeno-associated virus (AAV). In the context of Cas9 delivery, lentiviral vectors have the major advantage that their packaging size of up to ∼7 kilobases (kb) readily accommodates the SpCas9 gene (∼4.2 kb) as well as one or more sgRNAs and the cis-acting regulatory sequences required for efficient expression. However, titers of lentiviral vectors cannot exceed ∼10 (to the 9) infectious units per milliliter, which is not adequate for the efficient infection of an entire population of virally infected cells in vivo (10), such as HIV-1-infected T cells, even though lentiviruses are highly lymphotropic. In contrast, AAV-based vectors can be generated at titers up to 10 (to the 14) genome equivalents per milliliter. However, two limitations stand in their way.

Continued..

AAV has a packaging capacity of only ∼4.8 kb. This makes it impossible to express the ∼4.2-kb SpCas9 gene, together with an sgRNA, from a single AAV vector. One approach is to use two AAV vectors: one to express SpCas9 from a minimal pol II promoter element while the other encodes one or more sgRNAs (11). A second approach is to use a different, smaller Cas9, for example, the ∼3.2-kb Cas9 gene encoded by Staphylococcus aureus (SaCas9) (12, 13). SaCas9 has a somewhat less common PAM (5-NNGRRT-3, where R is purine) but otherwise appears to have a cleavage capacity and targeting accuracy comparable to SpCas9. Single AAV vectors able to express SaCas9 and one or two sgRNAs have been described and appear potentially very useful for in vivo gene editing (12, 13). A second concern with AAV vectors is their limited tissue tropism, although this has gradually expanded with the identification of additional AAV variants from different species and the derivation of AAV recombinants with enhanced tropism for specific tissues (14). AAV serotypes with a strong tropism for hepatocytes, neurons, and epithelial and endothelial cells have been described, but AAV variants able to efficiently infect lymphoid cells remain to be identified, which is a particular problem if editing of the HIV-1 genome is envisioned (see below).

One final issue with viral vectors relates to their potential to integrate and, hence, cause mutations that could inhibit or enhance the expression of specific cellular genes. Lentiviral vectors include integration as a key step in their life cycle, so this is clearly a concern. In contrast, AAV vectors do not normally integrate into target cell genomes, but integration of wildtype AAV (2) has been reported in a small number of hepatocellular carcinomas (15). Whether this represents a real concern with AAV vectors, which have gained wide popularity as tools for introducing genesinto hepatocytes in vivo, remains to be established.

In considering which viruses might represent appropriate direct targets for elimination using CRISPR/Cas, two criteria are paramount. First, the virus must be a DNA virus or exist in a DNA form as part of its life cycle. Second, the virus must replicate in a discrete, well-defined region of the body that can be accessed by vectors expressing a virus-specific Cas9/sgRNA combination. In our view, the list of potential target viruses (Figure 2) is therefore rather limited and consists primarily of hepatitis B virus (HBV), human papillomavirus (HPV), herpes simplex virus (HSV) types 1 and 2, and human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1).

HSV 1 and 2 specific

In latently infected neurons, HSV-1 and HSV-2 genomes are found as circular, nonreplicating DNA episomes in the cell nucleus with from 1 to perhaps as many as 50 copies per latently infected cell (28). These dsDNA molecules are in principle excellent targets for cleavage and either destruction or mutational inactivation by CRISPR/Cas (29–31) (Figure 2). Moreover, because the likelihood of reactivation of HSV-1 or HSV-2 directly correlates with the viral DNA load in the ganglion, even an incomplete ablation of the pool of viral genomes might have significant benefits. Neuronal cells are good targets for infection by AAV, and it seems possible that AAV-mediated delivery of SpCas9 or SaCas9, together with possibly multiple sgRNAs specific for HSV-1 or HSV-2 to shatter or mutationally inactivate the viral genome (Figure 2), would represent a potential strategy to cure this bothersome disease. Indeed, recent data suggest that HSV-1, even during lytic infection, may be an excellent target for treatment using a CRISPR/Cas-based approach (32).

Atrapasueños

El Dr. Halford y su vacuna esta teniendo poca credibilidad, y ahora bryan cullen empieza desde 0 después de que en 2008 dijo que estaba apunto de curar el herpes que está pasando todos los ensayos se están desmonorando  y los científicos están bajándose del barco 

Dr. Halford and his vaccine are having little credibility, and now bryan cullen starts from 0 after that in 2008 he said he was about to heal the herpes that is going on all the trials are being dismantled and the scientists are getting off the boat

Atrapasueños

Study after study has shown that when clinical trials involve entities with a financial interest in the outcome, as the Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy and Penn have in this one, the reported outcomes are more likely to be favorable than when the trial is sponsored by, say, the National Institutes of Health. In studies where the sponsor has a profit motive, scientists are also less likely to adhere to best practices, research has shown. “If you really believe in a [bio]technology and it’s not completely clear whether a side effect is the fault of the disease or the technology, your bias could influence how you interpret that,” said Atkins.

In 1999, members of the Recombinant DNA Advisory Committee pointed out, a young man died in a now-infamous gene therapy trial at Penn in which the lead scientist had a multimillion-dollar financial stake in the technology. That conflict of interest, scholars have argued, may have led him to make dangerous decisions. Although the Parker Institute will handle patents for any discoveries that emerge from the research it funds, “each site owns its intellectual property,” said chief legal counsel Melinda Griffith. “If you invent it, you own it.”

Or, everything could go well and CRISPR cures cancer.

Evaluate

It's difficult to understand your translations often times. I'm not really sure what to say to many of your posts since the context is difficult to interpret.  I can imagine that is frustrating for you and I hope that somehow that is overcome.  What I will say is if you quote any study, paper or article you should provide a reference for that quote.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Quest
      By Quest
      CHINESE SCIENTISTS SAY THEY’VE FOUND A SAFER ALTERNATIVE TO CRISPR
      https://futurism.com/the-byte/chinese-scientists-crispr-alternative-leaper

Researchers from China’s Peking University have developed a new gene-editing technology —  and they think it shows promise as a CRISPR alternative for fighting human diseases.
      According to a paper published on Monday in the journal Nature Biotechnology, this new technology, LEAPER, which stands for “leveraging endogenous ADAR for programmable editing of RNA,” works similarly to CRISPR-Cas13, targeting RNA molecules as opposed to DNA like the well-known CRISPR-Cas9.
      But while CRISPR-Cas13 relies on both a guide RNA and the Cas13 enzyme to make its edits to RNA, the LEAPER system needs just one component known as an arRNA. This makes the system “more easily deliverable and less likely to result in unwanted cellular immune responses,” the researchers told China-based media outlet Caixin.
        Disease Destroyer
      As for the potential uses of their CRISPR alternative, Peking researcher Zhou Zhuo told Caixin that “there are clear prospects for using this technology in disease treatment.”
      In fact, in tests of cells taken from people with the debilitating genetic disorder Hurler syndrome, LEAPER was able to correct “sufficient amounts” of the cells’ mutated RNA, University of Queensland geneticist Ernst Wolvetang, who wasn’t involved in the research, told Caixin.
      However, the research is still in the early stages and is only now moving into tests on animals — meaning we won’t know for some time if LEAPER will dethrone CRISPR as the preeminent gene-editing technology.
      READ MORE: Chinese researchers create safe gene-editing tech that avoids ethical concerns [The Global Times]
    • IAmDesperate
      By IAmDesperate
      Hi everyone, I create a new topic for all herpes cures as I find it difficult to navigate to different topics to get news from different therapies so if anyone has any news, please feel free to post here to keep everyone updated, optimistic and focusing on making the cure available faster. 
      According to my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong), the herpes virus enters our bodies first then invades and replicates then retreats to hide in our neurons. Our immune system could fight the virus itself but can't chase it up to nervous system and can't detect it once it goes dormant. Immune system is an amazing soldier because any outbreak couldn't last for more than 14 days or so (maybe less) since our immune system always keep our body in check and once an outbreak happens, it will find the replicates of the virus then destroy them which is when the outbreaks go away so if we can destroy the latent virus, we can 'cure' the disease. 
      Here are all the potential cures I know, some are just vaccines and not cure but I believe it would help fight the virus:
      1. Dr. Keith Jerome (Fred Hutch Center): (credit to @MikeHerp on GREAT NEWS! Dr. Jerome at Fred Hutch has achieved 50% to 90% elimination of latent HSV in mice)
      Category: cure 😆 Method: Injection Strategy: Using the gene editing with meganucleases to act as "molecular scissors", go into the infected nerve cells and either clip out parts of the virus, or basically destroy the entire thing. Clinical trials time: none. Still in pre-clinic but very promising and Dr. Jerome said he believed there would be a cure in his lifetime. (I tried googling his age but couldn't find anything lol) Target: HSV1&2, I believe. Jerome has been able to achieve 50% to 90% elimination of latent HSV in mice, depending on the location.  In vivo.  I mean elimination, as in, the latent virus DNA is fragmented and dissipates--not just edited to render it inactive.  Completely GONE from the neuron. Elimination of 90% of latent HSV from Sacral ganglia resulted in decrease in viral replication by over 90%.  Elimination of 50%+ from trigeminal ganglia in mice, resulted in 50% reduction in viral replication. They have set out a pathway to increase HSV latent elimination beyond 90%. This is all with just ONE treatment. Keep in mind that they've gone from 2-4% editing of latent virus in mice in 2016, to elimination of up to 90% in some ganglia in just 2.5 years.  Stunning progress. Currently either perfecting the cure to remove 99.9% of the virus in mice or testing on guinea pigs. 2. CRISPR-Cas9 (ExcisionBio): I do not know much about this project so please put in some info if you have
      Category: cure 😆 Method: Injection Strategy: locate the DNA sequences and delete the whole stretches and use a different protein which is larger than meganucleases of Dr. Jerome. Clinical trials time: 2021. They have some trials going on but for HIV and cancer. Target: HSV1&2 They made a solid foundation for concept of curing more complex human disease with gene therapy is absolutely possible. The problem with this method is controlling how much of the DNA the method will delete and the cure particle is too big to reach to the virus cell in neurons. However, from this article, it shows that Fred Hutch Center (FHC) had found a way to carry the gene-editing therapy to virus cell by using gold nanoparticle instead of inactive virus cell. They made the gold nanoparticle big and sticky enough to hold the gene-editing material but also small enough for the cell to absorb. They used Cas12a instead of Cas9 cuz it makes a staggered cut in DNA and it only requires one molecular guide while Cas9 needs two. This method has no toxic effects so far. This article is for HIV research but the gene-editing for HSV has delivery problem and this solves it, plus, herpes virus is localized and it's not all over the body like HIV so I believe it would be easier and effective to use this method for herpes cure.  
      Note: if you find new cure, medicine or vaccine, please follow the same format. 
      1. Vaccine/medicine/cure name (Company)
      Category: cure/suppressed therapy/therapeutic vaccine/preventative vaccine Method: injection/oral medicine/skin cream/etc Strategy: (how they are going to deal with the virus) Clinical trials time Target: HSV1/HSV2/HSV1&2/Without HSV Other details 
    • Eradicatethefuckouttahsv
      By Eradicatethefuckouttahsv
      https://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-highlights/crispr-cas9-improved-10000-fold-by-synthetic-nucleotides/81255705
    • steel_panther
      By steel_panther
      Hey guys thought id share this article with you all.  
      https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/can-we-gene-edit-herpes-away-180968551/

• Cpt. Hindsight
      By Cpt. Hindsight
      So I’m certainly no doctor/scientist, but this new CRISPR tool sounds pretty promising. Towards the end of the article, they talk about how the new CasRx was able to penetrate the neurons in their in vitro experiments with an 80% success rate for treating FTD. Neat stuff!
      https://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-highlights/compact-crispr-tool-effectively-targets-rna/81255593
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Psyc4herbs
      Medical knowledge in the 50s doubled every 50 years. But guess how fast the knowledge is doubling now? 1 year. Cures are coming. This is why there is a worldwide debate on healthcare. Some want to own your health others want the cures for free. You being desperate will trample on the next person to get it whereas someone else will hope the cure is free for all.  The fight isn't for a cure anymore it's for who owns the cure. The people or the elite. With medical knowledge doubling every year and soon every 6 months with the assistance of AI a cure will be ready by 2025.  Finally the west has competition who wants to be the world's leader; China. They want to cure diseases because they want rid of capitalism and religion. May the winner have it all.
    • Quest
      Herpes simplex virus-2 transmission probability estimates based on quantity of viral shedding - NCBI by JT Schiffer · 2014 · Cited by 36 · Related articles Feb 28, 2014 · Valaciclovir, dosed once daily, lowered the HSV-2 transmission rate in a clinical ...... Reactivation of genital herpes simplex virus type 2 infection in     Maybe the answer is here. Did the westover heights contain the answer? Wilso would know. 
    • WilsoInAus
      This isn't some 1940s crime detective novel mate! We don't have process of elimination, we have active diagnosis. But to hell with that. You do not have to prove anything to doctors. They're just a bunch of clowns with meaningless tests! You're the man, you make the decisions. Whether you think you have herpes, or whether you think you don't, you're right. Be a man, be confident, if you have HSV-2 then own up to it. Stop camping around at doctors offices. Stride right back to that girl in your loosest jocks with lots of stretch room for those swollen gonads. Slam open the bedroom door and announce you're here to show her what a night with real man feels like, minus Trojans!
    • RainyDay2
      To answer your question, I have been living with pain and burning in my penis for a year now.  My symptoms started within 48 hours of attempted sex with someone who has HSV2. Doctors can’t figure it out.  I’m 90% certain HSV2 is the culprit.  All my issues started directly after the exposure.  Itching, tingling, constipation, nerve burning, testicle pain and back pain. And they all come and go. I only got a large bump in my pubic area days after the exposure.  A large amount of people with herpes don’t get typical looking lesions, so you can’t base it on that.   Hopefully you find your answer.  I pretty much have mine but have to prove it to my doctors by way of elimination.  
    • Phoenixx
      OMG if I had only known that 5 years ago... doctors have no clue of this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.