World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
NADINE

Is Herpes Linked To Losing Weight?

NADINE

Hi I,m New And I'm Worried. I Am Losing Weight And I Believe It's Associated With Herpes Can This Be True?

Angel Eyes

i have

Hi

I have lost weight, but I think it is from the stress. I was just diagnosed with HSV2 back in June.... Shortly after that, I started taking wellbutrin for depression.... so i think the weight loss could be attributed to that..... how long have you had HSV?

bluefrog

I wish!

I contracted H in April 07 and have gained weight since then:mad:

Scubagirl0325

I have lost about ten pounds since finding out (about 4 weeks ago). I think it was from stress (I wasn't eating as much) and then i changed my diet completely because i was scared every little thing would trigger an outbreak. I only drank water and i think that helped to.

Paul2007

Both myself and my ex girlfriend both lost a lot of weight around the time we found out and i continued until i started sorting my head out. Herpes can lead to depression which can in turn, can create an eating disorder. Either extreme of this (too much or too little) is similar and i would suggest that if you are struggling to deal with things, it may be worth talking to a doctor or going to some form of therepy.

BoxofRain

agree 100% with paul2007 in that herpes can lead to depression, depression can lead to either overeating or undereating due to being very unhappy. The first year and a half I was diagnosed I gained 10 pounds(and I have never in my life gained weight ever, always stayed around the same weight give or take a pound or two before this) I was so depressed I would just eat and eat at night for comfort, to escape my pain. Then in this past 6 months(second full year I have had it) I started taking a homeopathic remedy for depression and anxiety from having this and started to feel a little bit better but am still depressed ......i also had some allergy testing because of a lot of other horrible symptoms I started experiencing a litte over a year or two ago and found out i have a sensitivity to gluten and dairy....once I cut that out of my diet, within 3 months now I have lost all the weight I gained from last year and I feel 100% better in my health, however, I am still depressed in regards to herpes. So i truly believe you can gain or lose weight as a result of getting herpes, as a chain effect of stress and depression.

tothefuture

Yes but that still means that the virus does not CAUSE either weight gain nor weight loss.

Nor does it NECESSARILY cause depression - otherwise we would ALL be depressed, which of course we are not.

My point is, and I'm not suggesting this is what people are doing who've replied to this thread so far, but people shouldn't just resign themselves to feeling depressed because it's an inevitable effect of having this virus.

There will be multiple variables involved which contribute to their depression - normally self-esteem being at the core - and there IS psychological treatment available (or in deed other approaches depending on the severity of the depression) and they owe it to themselves to access this help.

I've said this before; herpes is bad enough without having a mental health problem ON TOP of it.