Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
januarykid

Non sexual transmission to children

I just traveled across the country to spend 10 days with my 2 and 4 year old nieces. I was diagnosed with ghsv1 in April 2014. Since then, I don't think I've had any clear outbreaks with lesions. I occasionally feel my legs getting tingling. I am worried sick that I was missing prodrom symptoms while I was staying with them. They were definitely exposed to my thighs in a swimming pool. Afterwards, I sat on a towel that was later used on them. I read somewhere that you need to "rigorously" dry your body and "rigorously" dry another body's mucus membrane or break in the skin to pass via towel. I am not so much worried about the thigh to thigh contact in the pool as I am about passing it by towel because of the chlorine. Does anyone know what role chlorine might play when sitting on a towel? The other negligent thing I did was hanging out in just a bodysuit and robe, exposing my thighs. I know they touched my thighs with their arms and hands; I'm worried they then touched their faces. They were both fully clothed otherwise. I don't recall feeling any tingling in my legs that day. Any insights? I tend to catastrophise but I know there is a real possibility of transmission. 

No there is not any chance of transmission. The virus simply cannot transfer readily to surfaces.

Thighs do not realistically shed the virus, the skin is way too thick. Some people experience some leg issues preceding an outbreak but that does not mean they are shedding in the leg area. 

The reality is that the children are much, much more likely to be infected by a relative with oral HSV-1. You are probably their 'safest' relative in a HSV sense as it is now not realistically possible for you to get an oral HSV infection!

You can only infect someone through sexual contact; with genital HSV-1 this is not known to what extent but would not exceed about 1 in 2500 sexual episodes.

Advertisement

Not a chance... It's really distressing to me that people, and I understand why, because you care so much. But you really are NOT a walking contagion. Even if you were shedding and someone touched EXACTLY where you were say with their finger or forearm. It would not transmit.... the dermis protects against that.

The only reason people transmit when they are shedding is because of the the mucous membrane areas (sensitive skin mouth/genital) or areas which are broken (cuts/abrasions) where the virus enters.

the odds are soo small.

Please don't see yourself as 'infectious'. It's fucking nonsense

Edited by Unrequited

4 minutes ago, Unrequited said:

Not a chance... It's really distressing to me that people, and I understand why, because you care so much. But you really are NOT a walking contagion. Even if you were shedding and someone touched EXACTLY where you were say with their finger or forearm. It would not transmit.... the dermis protects against that.

The only reason people transmit when they are shedding is because of the the mucous membrane areas (sensitive skin mouth/genital) or areas which are broken (cuts/abrasions) where the virus enters.

the odds are soo small.

Please don't see yourself as 'infectious'. It's fucking nonsense

Also towels and all that bullshit, absolute nonsense...

Thank you. My head spins out of control. I know it's really unlikely but I have not stopped thinking about it, haven't really eaten, I'm just replaying it over and over in my head, trying to remember positions of my legs when we were playing, position of my legs on the towel, etc. 

Transmission via towel is allegedly "conceivable" or theoretically possible per some of the more reputable sources.  I like to think that the chlorine on my swimsuit and body prevented any transmission, and Wilsoinaus, I read one of your responses to a question about the viral shedding in the boxer short area, which was pretty comforting in some way. I think when discussing medical/safety guidelines or recommendations about preventing transmission during shedding, lower down in the the boxer short area (a few inches above the knee) may be again conceivable but really improbable due to the thickness of the skin and the fact that I previously had an outbreak on my right front of my labia. Maybe TMI. Anyways, thanks.

Advertisement

Thanks VVK. I'm starting to worry less.

Posted (edited)

Hi just wanted to know can someone transmit the virus to someone's foot if they had a cut on their foot, and then the foot was rubbed. And would this lead to that person acquiring the virus in their genitals as the virus would then travel up the leg to the base of the spine. Is that possible ?

Edited by useless

This is a theoretical possibility if the person does not have the same type of herpes already. Even then it would be exceptionally rare for this to happen.

If it did happen, then the virus is contained inside the meninge that surrounds the nerve system that serves the foot. I believe this to be a subbranch of the sciatic nerve. It will not be normally possible for HSV in this infected area to spread to the genital region.

Thankyou for your response. Can't beat peace of mind.