Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Newtothisandscared

Igg

Hi Everyone,

I want to make sure i understand igg test results correctly. My boyfriend is pending a complete std panel test. I had mine as well and my only positive was for hsv1, 1.25 (was negative prior to my relationship with him, and had the test last month and my first outbreak in December, confirmed as hsv1 via swab, genitally at that time). 

My question is, we are assuming his test (blood) will obviously come back positive for hsv1, he has had oral cold sores for 40 years. His igg for hsv1 should come back much higher than mine, correct, due to antibodies built?

@Newtothisandscared I guess the answer is it depends. Yes, in theory but realize that HSV-1 IGG results are not as accurate as HSV-2 and have more false positive and false negative results, especially when dealing with a 40 year old HSV-1 oral infection. That being said though, that would still be an anomaly and most likely his numbers will be clearly into the positive range. How high in the range does not matter, however. For example if he's at 5 or 10 it doesn't mean anything about how long he has had it, etc. 

Hope that helps!

Advertisement

Sometimes the longer you have it may not show up.  So you saying that your boyfriend who has had HSV for 40 years has given you it now?

Hi Lisa, yes :). He is only the second man i have ever been with. He gave me oral, no cold sore at the time but we were aware of asymptomatic shedding possibility. I was negative, igg, for both prior to our relationship. I am just thinking, as a health care person myself, that his igg hsv 1 levels should be higher. I know that doesnt matter in terms of any result, but i am just trying to rationalize it all in my head :).

Thats interesting as shedding in theory should be less for someone whose had it 40 yrs.  

I thought the exact same thing. As did he. As did my GYN. Maybe because i had zero exposure/immunity to hsv that it happened like that? 

Advertisement

There is no doubt that this guy has an oral HSV-1 infection based on all you have presented here.

In fact, oral HSV-1 is so common that this can be assumed and your partner didn't really need to test. It would be pretty much a benefit for him to accept without testing that he infected you from his oral infection. 

The testing is not likely to miss the infection but given he has likely had the virus a long, long time then there is a chance that it may be 'falsely negative'. I am not sure where that will leave his thinking but I'd encourage him to accept things such that you can move on together.

It matters not what his number is, if it is positive, that is enough to conclude he has an oral HSV-1 infection. Likely though it will be >5!

Thank you, Wilson, that makes perfect sense. The hsv1 test just happens to be a part of the full std panel we both took, so yes, we know he has it, we are just making sure we both have nothing else that we don't know of.