World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Evaluate

Herpes Cure Research Board - Welcome!

Evaluate

Welcome to the cure board!  Here is a little bit of information to get you started on this board and on HSV treatment and cure research that is going on.

1. The Wikipedia page Herpes simplex research is a good place to see an overview of what research is underway.  As with all Wikipedia pages, be cautious of what you read unless you are provided with a citation with a verifiable source.  Just because you read it on a website doesn't mean that it's true.
    1. Information on vaccines can be found here (with more detail here) and a history of where vaccines come from can be found here.
    2. Information on how CRISPR/Cas9 works can be found here.
    3. Priteliver, an antiviral candidate, is also under investigation (and orally here).
  2. When reading information regarding research, it's important to have healthy skepticism.  That doesn't mean everything you read is necessarily true or false, but there are claims out there that are not backed up by science.  This is a good page to read regarding what is science and what is not.  And here's a fun YouTube video from John Oliver on the importance of being a critical reader or consumer of news when it comes to science.
  3. Don't be afraid to use the search function in the top right corner.  Chances are that information about a topic has already been posted.  This can help you learn from conversations already had or find even more links about a particular topic.
  4. If posting a new thread, try to follow these suggestions:
    1. look for existing threads on that topic: take a look down the page and use the search function to see if your topic (or article) has already been posted.  If so, it's preferable to post in the same thread so you and others can benefit from information that has already been shared.
    2. put in a descriptive title: "Cool article on herpes" is not a title that helps potential readers really define what your post is about.  Compare this to "Recent Interview from CEO of Gene Editing Inc on HSV" is much more helpful to potential readers.  Think to yourself, "does this title give readers an idea of my post, before they click on it?" to help guide you.
    3. use tags: tags are like key search terms that help those searching find what they are looking for.  For example, if a recent research article was posted by Dr. Drew at Washington University regarding a new DNA vaccine, you could use the following tags: drew, washington university, DNA vaccine.

If you have any ideas or recommendations for this sticky, please let me or another moderator know :)