maryland

Zostvax ( shingles vaccine )

BulaHope

'Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed description. '

Edited by BulaHope

chinga
13 hours ago, vzv_worked4me said:

Headline: The Varivax vaccine has stopped my HSV-1 outbreaks

Short version: I contracted HSV-1 at age 8 in 1970 through non-sexual incidental contact. I would have six or more outbreaks per year. I have recently finished going through the Varivax protocol laid out by Le Goaster et al (see https://ipv4.google.com/patents/WO2011064254A1?cl=en ). I then tried to induce an outbreak via a process by which one always happens: consuming food with large quantities of Arginine. Following that it normally takes 3 days at most before I have an outbreak. Afterwards nothing has happened, not even a tingle. I have now been outbreak free for over a year.

Full details...

I am Caucasian male born in early 1962. In 1970 via unknowing non-sexual incidental casual contact at a social gathering I became infected with cold sores: HSV-1. Over the years I would have six or more outbreaks per year. My outbreaks were not 'normal,' and by that I mean they were rarely if ever on my lips or in the oral region. My outbreaks were basically anywhere in the region where I now grow facial hair / shave. On several rare occasions they were on or around my eye lids. In the early years no doctors were able to diagnose what caused these 'rashes.' In the late 1980's, after graduating college and starting a job that provided health insurance, I visited a new primary care physician who took a swab from an outbreak and identified it as HSV-1.

My outbreaks followed a specific pattern. Sometimes, before the 'tingle', I would begin to feel a bulge forming somewhere in the facial hair region of my face. It was always a distinct sort of bulge and the tingle would follow if it had not already happened (this bulge was like a pimple forming but it felt much different). Sometimes, before the bulge, that region of my face would feel different; not exactly itchy, more like a rumbling getting ready for an explosion. The blisters would follow within minutes or hours of a bulge if they did not happen at the same time. A day or so after the first outbreak there would be a second outbreak within an inch or so of the first outbreak. Another day or two or so later there would be a third outbreak in a whole separate section of my face. Some days later a pimple would appear in that third region. Over time I noticed there would be no new blisters after that pimple appeared (not trying to make any statement about causation, just sharing an observation of correlation).

In 1992 I started to keep detailed records about my outbreaks (My undergraduate degree is in science - I mention this as a touch point to indicate I have some general knowledge about science and the scientific methods.) In 1997, with the Internet becoming a more common place to search for information I found articles on the relation between Arginine and outbreaks, and how Lysine can counter the effects of Arginine. Over the years of keeping records about my outbreaks I clearly identified they happened after consuming high Arginine content foods like chocolate, nuts and grains, as well as sun exposure and tension. Lysine definitely helped. I would prophylacticly take 2000mg daily (1000mg in the morning and again in the evening). In 2004 I read that fish oils might help as well, so I began taking 1000mg of Lysine and 2000mg of fish oils pills twice a day - once in the morning and once in the evening. At an even later point in time I read the milk inhibited the absorption of Lysine, so I would not take Lysine within an hour of consuming milk. All of this along with vigilantly strict dietary control reduced my outbreaks to about one a year (which was _not_ fun or enjoyable as I liked many of those foods; hence probably why I had so many outbreaks earlier in life).

When an outbreak would happen I would boost the Lysine to 10,000mg or more daily (spread throughout the day). Basically I would eat the stuff like candy during the outbreak. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW GOOD OR BAD AN IDEA THAT LEVEL OF LYSINE WAS FOR MY BODY. I am not a doctor; I was just a guy having an outbreak doing whatever it took to make it stop and go away, and binging on the Lysine would greatly reduce the severity and duration of the outbreaks. If I started a Lysine binge soon enough during the initial outbreak - like when I felt that distinct bulge forming - I would only get one set of blisters and the whole episode would last (until the skin was 'normal' again) about seven days. Also, once I brought Lysine into my life I observed there was no more pimple in the last set of blisters.

The other thing I tried was a cream that contained Allantoin. This had been an ingredient listed in a product called Herpecin-L, which came in a container like lipstick or chap stick. It was applied on the area where there were blisters and it seemed to help the skin heal faster. Over time the ingredient list on that product dropped Allantoin and it did not seem to work as well. Then I found a cream called Udderly Smooth. It lists Allantoin as an ingredient and Udderly Smooth helped my skin heal after an outbreak. By 'helped the skin heal' I mean that for me it would shortened the healing process from 6 or 7 days to about 4 or 5. But again, like binging on Lysine tablets, I would be rubbing the cream on many times a day.

At this point, as said before, I had reduced my outbreaks from 6 or more episodes of outbreaks a year with each lasting well more than a week, to about one a year lasting about a week from tingle to being healed.

In early 2017 motivated by other issues and experiences I again became highly energized to search the Internet for everything that was known or being studied about HSV vaccines or cures. Ultimately many, many web searches and lots of reading lead me to this study: "Efficacy of the anti-VZV (anti-HSV3) vaccine in HSV1 and HSV2 recurrent herpes simplex disease: a prospective study" by Le Goaster et al. Following that I also found the aforementioned patent which laid out the protocol in detail. I presented this to my primary care physician (a different one than one who decades earlier first diagnosed my 'rashes' as HSV-1). In accordance with the protocol my physician wrote me a prescription for Valacylcovir (cost through my health plan: US$21). By my own decision I went off all my Lysine and fish oils for a week before beginning the protocol. I also, more so than my normal vigilance, was going to avoid Arginine intake during the coming months. I began the protocol on June 17th, 2017. From 17-21 June 2017 I did the five day regimen of 500mg of Valacyclovir once in the morning and once in the evening. Four weeks later, on July 20th, 2017, I had my first shot of Varivax (cost through my health plan US$0 because they give immunization shots for free!). As is the case for most people I had no adverse reaction to the shot.

Two weeks and a day later, August 4th, 2017, I had a small bump appear on my skin in the facial hair region. I had been feeling pre-explosion rumblings there for a couple days. The bump felt exactly like the beginning of an HSV outbreak. No outbreak ever came, meaning no blisters formed. The bump slowly subsided over the next several days. On August 5th I had several more bumps appear near the first bump. These again felt like the normal second set of outbreaks following an initial outbreak. These bumps got a little bigger than the first bumps the day before. They were very itchy and more appeared in this same second area on following day, August 6th. But again, no blisters. After a couple days the bumps subsided. It was like the HSV was trying to have an outbreak but it never came to fruition. Also, when these bumps happened, I took no anti-virals and I took no Lysine -- I just let my body handle it. (I have read postings of people who received the VZV shot, had an outbreak, took their antivirals, and did not get the desired long term results from the VZV -- and I am left wondering how much the antivirals interfered with the VZV shot?)

On August 24th, ten weeks after going off Lysine and Fish oils, nine weeks after starting the protocol and five weeks to the day after my first Varivax shot I had a full slice of "Linda's Fudge Cake" from The Cheesecake Factory. I chose this date for three (unequal) reasons. First, the Varivax instructions (google "varivax insert" and pick the www.fda.gov link) say the booster should should be taken between four and eight weeks after the initial shot. Second, I had a booster shot scheduled for the six week mark (August 31st). Third, I am only human and my curiosity was getting the better of me. Two days later, on August 26th I ate a full 8oz can of Cashews. Both serving sizes, for the Fudge Cake and the Cashews, had each _always_ been enough to induce an outbreak and the outbreaks would come generally come about three days after eating the items. No outbreaks ever came. Also, no bumps and no tingle.

On August 31st, six weeks after my first Viravax shot I had my second shot of Varivax (cost through my health plan was again zero!). I do  not know whether this booster shot was needed, but after having lived with HSV for so long and so wanting to be done with outbreaks my decision was not to risk anything.

Regarding my history with Chickenpox, the medical records my mother kept show I had Chickenpox in the summer of 1966 (thanks Mom, for keeping and passing on such good records!). I would have been four and half at that time. It also means I had never had the Chickenpox vaccine. I do not know how crucial or critical that is/was for my case.

I had a blood drawn and tested on July 7th, 2017, before my first VZV shot.
HSV 1 IGG, EIA             >58.00
HSV 2 IGG, EIA            < 0.90
VARICELLA ZOSTER VIRUS IGM, IF    <=0.90
Yes, July 7th is before the Varivax shot but after the Valacyclorvir regime. Blood had been drawn before the Valacyclovir regime but those tests were botched.

I also had blood drawn on August 31st, 2017, _before_ the VZV booster shot.
HSV 1 IGG, EIA              55.60
HSV 2 IGG, EIA            < 0.90
VARICELLA ZOSTER VIRUS IGM, IF    >=1.10

I realize one pair of failed attempts to induce an outbreak may not seem like a definitive test. At the same time, words escape me to convey how until now it had been a given for me that bathing myself in such a large consumption of Arginine from chocolate (like that full slice of "Linda's Fudge Cake") or Cashews (a full 8oz container) would ALWAYS cause an outbreak, even when I was prophylacticly taking Lysine and fish oils -- and now that simply has not happened. Further, it has been _more_than_a_year_ and still NO OUTBREAKS. A year not only of no outbreaks but also no constant Lysine or other supplements and no dietary controls or other restrictions. My life has returned to 'normal' - I am living the dream each of us has.

As the Le Goaster paper also says the protocol was effective against HSV-1 and HSV-2. I can say it seems to have been effective for me against HSV-1.

I realize this is a long posting. I hope the details of my experiences are helpful.

What should we do? Should everyone who has hsv do this?

Herpeguy562

Give it a try and report back to us. It's pretty safe vaccine approved by the FDA.

Edited by Herpeguy562

Burty

Coming back to report that after vaccinations in May and July, today I have one vesicle. Called the doctor and will report back later. Slightly pessimistic at this point. 

Edited by Burty

Burty

This is interesting - a clinical report of HSV2 remission in an HIV+ male in Britain. First time I've seen anything other than the Le Goaster paper. 

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Resistant-herpes-simplex-type-2-treated-with-zoster-Cochrane-Gompels/3f5020da7f97c4ee1b49eb0f78e0fdc4a232f3fa

Resistant herpes simplex type 2 treated with varicella zoster vaccination.

moialbalushi
1 hour ago, Burty said:

This is interesting - a clinical report of HSV2 remission in an HIV+ male in Britain. First time I've seen anything other than the Le Goaster paper. 

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Resistant-herpes-simplex-type-2-treated-with-zoster-Cochrane-Gompels/3f5020da7f97c4ee1b49eb0f78e0fdc4a232f3fa

Resistant herpes simplex type 2 treated with varicella zoster vaccination.

Wow interesting !! But how did they provide it to him !! I mean he is 27 years old !!

Burty
12 hours ago, moialbalushi said:

Wow interesting !! But how did they provide it to him !! I mean he is 27 years old !!

The full article is behind a paywall but you could write the the authors and request a copy.

Lonelyboy
On 5/17/2017 at 6:18 PM, Mackie82 said:

I didn't go yet , tomorrow I am getting the chickenpox vax ( varilrix) and I will see what will happen if there's no improvement then I will go to Moscow soon. Thanks 

Hello Mackie, how can I buy chickenpox vax? Shokran bro

Burty
On 10/19/2018 at 1:45 PM, Burty said:

Coming back to report that after vaccinations in May and July, today I have one vesicle. Called the doctor and will report back later. Slightly pessimistic at this point. 

Following up on this post. Saw the doctor and was told that it could be the corticosteroid inhaler that I use 2x a day for asthma that is keeping the HSV active and not allowing the VZV vaccine to do its work to suppress it. This could be very interesting for any others here. Was also told that allergic people in general have more HSV symptoms. 

What we are going to do is get my allergist to swap out the steroid inhaler for something that does not promote the virus and then do the protocol 2 months from that point, staying off the corticosteroids. 

Edited by Burty
addition

RSL888

sorry if this is a silly question, but how is VZV different from Zostavax which is commonly used here in the US ?

WilsoInAus

There are two key types of Varicella Zoster Virus (vaccines).

1. Attenuated live virus, which are an altered weakened form of the virus. (Zostavax and Varivax are examples of these).

2. Proteins expressed by the virus ( it not the virus itself). (Shingrix is one of these).

It should be assumed that vaccines of type 1 would produce a more comprehensive immune response. The question is how good given the attenuation of the virus. However vaccines of type 2 can do a more than admirable job.

Puni
On 10/22/2018 at 11:03 PM, Burty said:

Following up on this post. Saw the doctor and was told that it could be the corticosteroid inhaler that I use 2x a day for asthma that is keeping the HSV active and not allowing the VZV vaccine to do its work to suppress it. This could be very interesting for any others here. Was also told that allergic people in general have more HSV symptoms. 

What we are going to do is get my allergist to swap out the steroid inhaler for something that does not promote the virus and then do the protocol 2 months from that point, staying off the corticosteroids. 

Hey @Burty even im a allergic person,

I have hsv1 genital ,but i have constant prodroms without outbreak.

Also i have had rabies vaccine twice in my life.

Another observation is my igg levels seem to be low ,like 3.5 compared to 55 like you.

Schweppes
Posted (edited)

The following details my experience and I will update periodically. HSV1+ since 2013. 23December2018 had an OB. For 4 days GP prescribed 1000mg valtrex 2x/daily. The course did not get rid of outbreak completely. Prior to this I was not on suppressive therapy. I just let my body deal with it and got a prescription only for severe, back to back, or long lasting OBs. Concluded valtrex on the 26Dec2018. On the morning of the 3rd I could feel an OB coming on, both prodrome backpain with the leftover red bumps increasing in size and sensitivity but not yet to blisters. On the afternoon of 3Jan2019 I got  Varivax. 18 hours later, when I woke up and performed my  ritual morning inspection, the swelling is gone, redness is gone, and backpain is gone. The red bumps are now just small pinkish bands. No itch. No pain, at least in the problem areas. The injection site (back of left arm), left arm, and left shoulder are all pretty sore today. 

Edited by Schweppes

BulaHope
On 10/22/2018 at 6:33 PM, Burty said:

Hey Burty, did you follow the full protocol set out be leaving coaster, or just take the vaccine?

Schweppes
On 1/4/2019 at 7:54 AM, Schweppes said:

The following details my experience and I will update periodically. HSV1+ since 2013. 23December2018 had an OB. For 4 days GP prescribed 1000mg valtrex 2x/daily. The course did not get rid of outbreak completely. Prior to this I was not on suppressive therapy. I just let my body deal with it and got a prescription only for severe, back to back, or long lasting OBs. Concluded valtrex on the 26Dec2018. On the morning of the 3rd I could feel an OB coming on, both prodrome backpain with the leftover red bumps increasing in size and sensitivity but not yet to blisters. On the afternoon of 3Jan2019 I got  Varivax. 18 hours later, when I woke up and performed my  ritual morning inspection, the swelling is gone, redness is gone, and backpain is gone. The red bumps are now just small pinkish bands. No itch. No pain, at least in the problem areas. The injection site (back of left arm), left arm, and left shoulder are all pretty sore today. 

Still No back pain. This is a very significant change as prodrome backpain was near constant. Injection site is still red and slightly painful. Had fever for a day or two after injection. Pink bands downstairs are slowly fading. I was able to shave this morning without problem spots puffing up and getting red. I know it’s supposed to be too early for the vaccine to provide benefits, but this is the first time I’ve been able to shave symtom free in years. Very damn hopeful. Even if this is all the improvement I get, it was worth it. 

dmor24

Just wanted to add. Exactly a year ago I got infected, the first few months I had an outbreak monthly but for the past 6 months up until november the outbreaks were literally weekly. One would start to fade and I'd get another one coupled with headaches, pain in hips. I tried daily acyclovir did nothing for me. I even bought Amemavir although I did not use it daily so cannot say if it was effective or not. Finally in november I decided to take the Varivax vaccine. And coming from someone with weekly outbreaks I haven't had an outbreak nor symptoms ever since. It's been a bit over 2 months now and this is the longest I've been without an outbreak and symptoms. I must add my last outbreak was exactly a week after getting this vaccine. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress as time passes if anyones interested. I haven't done nor taken any procedures or medicines that I can link to the lack of outbreaks only Varivax. I must add this is my personal expiercience, i;m not saying it will be the same for someone else plus i'm still monitoring to see how things progress. I will however take another shot soon. Hope this helpes!