World's Largest Herpes Support Group
maryland

Zostvax ( shingles vaccine )

obtuse

Andli did you get the shingles vaccine or the chicken pox vaccine? One thing I've noticed in following this is that those that got the shingles vaccine had no change in condition while those that got the CP vaccine have seen good results. Could just be a coincidence. Just mentioning that.

newmember111

Obtuse, I too have noticed that trend myself. Although the protocol in the study did call for Varivax vaccine to be taken, supposedly it is the same vaccine as Zostavax. However, Zostavax is said to be 14x stronger than Varivax.

obtuse

Yeah it seems like it shouldn't make a difference. But from what I have read so far the results seem to be better for those that took the CP vaccine. And the CP vaccine is what was used in the study.

Nole

I followed the protocol. I was on valtrex, went off, waited the 3 weeks, got the varivax vaccine intradermally and got an outbreak 3 weeks later

fh12

Two Dose Regimen in Adolescents and Adults FOR VARIVAX

In a multicenter study involving adolescents and adults, 2 doses of VARIVAX administered 8 weeks apart induced a seroconversion rate of 94% in 142 individuals 6 weeks after the first dose and 99% in 122 individuals 6 weeks after the second dose.

I will consult with a qualified doctor before any vaccination and I would advise anybody else to do the same. Please do your own research also as you should all understand the possible side effects from this vaccine. This is taken off the internet from Varivax research studies. This IS NOT FROM the French study.

The fact that Zostavax is stronger does not mean it is better and it was not used in the French study. There were many middle aged participants in the French study and they did not use Zostavax so there may be a reason for this.

andli

the effectiveness may be individualized, may be age related,

the French study did not use Zostavax may be due to its cost,

and Zostavax is aimed for peoplle over 50, so you may get poor result from it

Utah

Aimed for people over 50?????

and Zostavax is aimed for people over 50, so you may get poor result from it

Seriously? A poor result due to being aimed at people over 50? What on earth would make you think this? Sorry guys I'm not meaning to be negative but I think its important to not make things up with little to no substance in light of hope.

A vaccination is a vaccination full stop. It was made to help people over 50 as they get more shingles relapses as they grow older due to there immune system weakening. All evidence would indicate a younger person with a healthier immune system would react better to the vaccination which is opposite to your suggestion.

As for the suggestion its due to me having a week immune system, this has been squashed by my doctor. In short my immune system has been diagnosed as fine. I don't have any excessive outbreaks normally. Once every 8 months while taking valtrex & they don't break the skin & last for a day or two.

There is evidence though that the Zostavax Vaccine only works for 55% of people in reducing shingles attacks.

Again guys not being negative but lets stick with the facts.

andli
Zostavax is aimed for peoplle over 50, so you may get poor result from it

There is nothing wrong,

I mean aged people will have weaker immunogencity , thats why Zostavaxis contain more attenuated virus (viral titer)than Varivax in order to provoke the immune response.

Similiarly HPV vaccine are more effective for people under 26

fh12

I don't think it is really clear as to how the Varivax vaccine works to stop outbreaks. They think it is by raising the anti-VZV antibody titers so anybody considering this might want to have the levels checked before and after the vaccination. The one contradiction is Patient #2 , who was not included in the 24, who had cancer and consistently low anti-VZV antibody titers and still had no further relapses. The mechanisms for it's success in this study are unclear and if you are following the protocol, I would think it would make sense to follow it exactly and not assume anything.

tomsmith

and Zostavax is aimed for peoplle over 50, so you may get poor result from it

Utah,

you've used a diff vacc than.the one used in the study. I don't know why it did not work, but if I learned something from ur experience, that is: do not improvise, follow the study to a T.

wizard of oz

Hi guys,if the chicken pox virus has to invade the same cells as the herpes virus and perhaps mark the cells as being compromised so the anti bodies are drawn to them, perhaps a study of acupuncture would help.It could be the way its injected and not the type of vaccine.Just my 2 cents worth.

helpiamconfused2

Why it Works

I don't think it is really clear as to how the Varivax vaccine works to stop outbreaks. They think it is by raising the anti-VZV antibody titers so anybody considering this might want to have the levels checked before and after the vaccination. The one contradiction is Patient #2 , who was not included in the 24, who had cancer and consistently low anti-VZV antibody titers and still had no further relapses. The mechanisms for it's success in this study are unclear and if you are following the protocol, I would think it would make sense to follow it exactly and not assume anything.

Last year, I was taking to Dr's Koelle, Wald, and Leone re therapeutic vaccines. What they are looking when they develop these vaccines is why herpes is a problem (recurrent outbreaks) in some patients but what "goes right" in the patients who have no problems with H. The answer they think lies in the immune system and not the virus itself. As such, the goal of the therapeutic vaccines is to replicate the "successful" patients immune system by "amping" it up by the vaccine itself.

I am not a doctor and didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night... but my thought is that since the herpes viruses share much of the same structure/DNA that likely serves to explain why the Shingles/Cpox virus works.

In short, lot's of good is in the works in the world of Herpes. I believe we need to stay active in all ways and keep our heads up. We'll all be older in 5 years, assuming we're on the right side of the dirt, but I strongly believe one of these vaccines is going to break through and be on the market. There is absolutely no reason for me to think otherwise. HSV1 and 2 are more of a problem than Shingles, but yet similar. A therapeutic vaccine is out there for Shingles and several are in the pipeline for H1/2...

StayingReallyHopeful
Last year, I was taking to Dr's Koelle, Wald, and Leone re therapeutic vaccines. What they are looking when they develop these vaccines is why herpes is a problem (recurrent outbreaks) in some patients but what "goes right" in the patients who have no problems with H. The answer they think lies in the immune system and not the virus itself. As such, the goal of the therapeutic vaccines is to replicate the "successful" patients immune system by "amping" it up by the vaccine itself.

I am not a doctor and didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night... but my thought is that since the herpes viruses share much of the same structure/DNA that likely serves to explain why the Shingles/Cpox virus works.

In short, lot's of good is in the works in the world of Herpes. I believe we need to stay active in all ways and keep our heads up. We'll all be older in 5 years, assuming we're on the right side of the dirt, but I strongly believe one of these vaccines is going to break through and be on the market. There is absolutely no reason for me to think otherwise. HSV1 and 2 are more of a problem than Shingles, but yet similar. A therapeutic vaccine is out there for Shingles and several are in the pipeline for H1/2...

Great post Help.. Posts like yours, definitely keep my spirits up, as i'm sure it would do so, for many, many others on this forum.

Thanks so much for your insight and for your very positive message.

livinginshame

Vaccine update

Hi guys,

I just wanted to give and update on my results so far after getting the cp vaccine(hope this is the right thread). I had my 1st shot Aug.3rd, no obs that month. My 2nd shot Sept.8th. Today I am having an ob. My ob were back to back maybe a day or so without.

Now I did do what I think are trigger foods. Was even able to have sex Monday Ob started Wednesday. So far there is some itching could be yeast coming on(sorry TMI) one area is tender don't see anything and can barely feel it. I'm reading through the post trying to see it I should take valtrex or not. Does anyone no are maybe lysine. Also have anyone thought of doing a second round of this vaccine because I am. I went to walgreen, now I'm thinking of going to cvs or my infectinous disease Doctor to see if she will do it interdermal.

lookinforrelief

vaccine update

i got the cp vaccine on sept 4. since then i have still got some outbreaks but they are not as bad as before. i'm also doing other things as well.....cheyenne pepper, licorice, vit c, zinc sulfate cream, topical coconut oil, vitamin e,d,a lysine, acv, oxygen water drops. idk if these other things are helping but i'm gonna keep up with it i guess. i just want to wake up one morning and not see it there anymore. it's so heartbreaking ...i cant stand the pain and the prodromes anymore. something has got to give!!!! i plan on the booster at the end of oct also and still planning on going to russia and prob gonna get famvir instead of valtrex when i go because valtrex laughed at my face. hopefully famvir will help more.

alwaysthereishope

cure

After reviewing all the postings, It appears that no one who has tried the CP vaccine has reported no symptoms or has been cured as indicated in the initial study. Has anyone been symptom free or tested negative for herpes? If so it would be great to hear your story.

quacky9

Not meaning to be a wet blanket here but wasnt the french study done on patients with oral and not genital herpes? Most of the respondents here seem to have genital instead of oral. And correct me if im wrong but the results dont seem to be encouraging=(

Lifestest

I just received the vaccine from the health dept here in the USA. I received it the Subcutaneous route the way they administer it. I tool Acyclovir up to the night before going to get the vaccine. Should I find a place to administer it intradermally or should I assume that the subcu route is going to be just effective. Please let me know as once this has been taken care of I was going to do a 4 month pcr shedding study on myself to check the efficacy of it against shedding. Let me know if I should go back and get it done intradermally. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. How can I contact the lady in this study to ask her what I need to do?

AdventureNoMore

quacky9,

The title of the study: "Efficacy of the anti-VZV (anti-HSV3) vaccine in HSV1 and HSV2 recurrent herpes simplex disease: a prospective study. (Bold emphasize is mine). So, the study covered both.

Furthermore, the issued patent for the procdure by Jacqueline Le Goaster covers both HSV 1 and 2.

Lifestest

Does the graph C in the study show recurrences in the treated patients decreasing over time a period of 5 years? It starts with 7 patients in 05 having recurrences and then decreasing from there. Is that now stating that the treated group actually had recurrences but they decreased over time? Can someone please interpret this for me.

Sininen
Does the graph C in the study show recurrences in the treated patients decreasing over time a period of 5 years? It starts with 7 patients in 05 having recurrences and then decreasing from there. Is that now stating that the treated group actually had recurrences but they decreased over time? Can someone please interpret this for me.

I think the graph means that 7 people got the vaccine in 2005, 6 people in 2006, 3 people in 2007, 4 people 2008, 4 people 2009 and 1 person in 2010. They all stopped having breakouts. I guess they monitored all of those patients until 2011.

© Efficiency of anti-VZV vaccination showing that herpes recurrences (at least eight per year) for all

24 patients decreased to zero after anti-VZV vaccination (highlighted by red arrow).

Methods: The present prospective study was conducted from January 2005 through January 2011. Twenty-four patients afflicted with HSV1 and HSV2 herpes recurrences over a period of years, numbering 6–8 and more recurrences per year, agreed to receive the anti-VZV vaccine. They were compared with 26 nonvaccinated patients presenting with herpes simplex diseases 2–5 times a year. All 50 patients were documented with anti-HSV1, anti-HSV2, and anti-VZV antibody serological testing.

Results: From 2005 through 2011, for the 24 anti-VZV vaccinated patients, the average number of herpes relapses decreased to 0, correlated with an increased anti-VZV antibody level and clinical recovery of all patients, whereas no improvement was observed for the 26 nonvaccinated herpes patients.

Lifestest

Can anyone make contact

Can anyone contact these people that did the study and ask them about the time frame of how long it took for the obs to subside. Also would a standard subcutaneous injection be sufficient for this? It states in the study that an intradermal injection was given but later it states that 11 received a subcutaneous injection. Can someone please clarify on this or any way to make contact with the people that did the study to verify what is required exactly. Any help on this would be extremely helpful.