World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
maryland

Zostvax ( shingles vaccine )

Burty
On 2/5/2019 at 1:29 PM, klikker said:

Hi everyone, 
Not a new member but first post. 

I will start working with an university hospital in Norway to get them to reproduce the Le Goerster trials. Hopefully I will have an answer tomorrow for a time frame for when they could start. Even tho the Le Goerster trial is small the likelihood of the results being random is next to zero.  

We are not a forum of scientist but many of us have extensive knowledge about this subject. If anybody have information or structured thoughts/research around this trial not already discussed, please share them in this thread. 

Why don't you contact Dr. Le Goaster herself? Her address is 2 rue Jean Richepin, 75116 PARIS 

klikker
7 minutes ago, Burty said:

Why don't you contact Dr. Le Goaster herself? Her address is 2 rue Jean Richepin, 75116 PARIS 

Hi Burty, 

That is a natural next step in the process and will be done. Tho in 2016 she had no new information or thoughts around the study. 

It is important to reproduce the study and expand it so we can identify the reasons why the Le Goerster study had such good results. An extended study can also be used to implement the protocol as an viable treatment. 

blurneworder
On 9/8/2018 at 8:20 AM, vzv_worked4me said:

Headline: The Varivax vaccine has stopped my HSV-1 outbreaks

Short version: I contracted HSV-1 at age 8 in 1970 through non-sexual incidental contact. I would have six or more outbreaks per year. I have recently finished going through the Varivax protocol laid out by Le Goaster et al (see https://ipv4.google.com/patents/WO2011064254A1?cl=en ). I then tried to induce an outbreak via a process by which one always happens: consuming food with large quantities of Arginine. Following that it normally takes 3 days at most before I have an outbreak. Afterwards nothing has happened, not even a tingle. I have now been outbreak free for over a year.

Full details...

I am Caucasian male born in early 1962. In 1970 via unknowing non-sexual incidental casual contact at a social gathering I became infected with cold sores: HSV-1. Over the years I would have six or more outbreaks per year. My outbreaks were not 'normal,' and by that I mean they were rarely if ever on my lips or in the oral region. My outbreaks were basically anywhere in the region where I now grow facial hair / shave. On several rare occasions they were on or around my eye lids. In the early years no doctors were able to diagnose what caused these 'rashes.' In the late 1980's, after graduating college and starting a job that provided health insurance, I visited a new primary care physician who took a swab from an outbreak and identified it as HSV-1.

My outbreaks followed a specific pattern. Sometimes, before the 'tingle', I would begin to feel a bulge forming somewhere in the facial hair region of my face. It was always a distinct sort of bulge and the tingle would follow if it had not already happened (this bulge was like a pimple forming but it felt much different). Sometimes, before the bulge, that region of my face would feel different; not exactly itchy, more like a rumbling getting ready for an explosion. The blisters would follow within minutes or hours of a bulge if they did not happen at the same time. A day or so after the first outbreak there would be a second outbreak within an inch or so of the first outbreak. Another day or two or so later there would be a third outbreak in a whole separate section of my face. Some days later a pimple would appear in that third region. Over time I noticed there would be no new blisters after that pimple appeared (not trying to make any statement about causation, just sharing an observation of correlation).

In 1992 I started to keep detailed records about my outbreaks (My undergraduate degree is in science - I mention this as a touch point to indicate I have some general knowledge about science and the scientific methods.) In 1997, with the Internet becoming a more common place to search for information I found articles on the relation between Arginine and outbreaks, and how Lysine can counter the effects of Arginine. Over the years of keeping records about my outbreaks I clearly identified they happened after consuming high Arginine content foods like chocolate, nuts and grains, as well as sun exposure and tension. Lysine definitely helped. I would prophylacticly take 2000mg daily (1000mg in the morning and again in the evening). In 2004 I read that fish oils might help as well, so I began taking 1000mg of Lysine and 2000mg of fish oils pills twice a day - once in the morning and once in the evening. At an even later point in time I read the milk inhibited the absorption of Lysine, so I would not take Lysine within an hour of consuming milk. All of this along with vigilantly strict dietary control reduced my outbreaks to about one a year (which was _not_ fun or enjoyable as I liked many of those foods; hence probably why I had so many outbreaks earlier in life).

When an outbreak would happen I would boost the Lysine to 10,000mg or more daily (spread throughout the day). Basically I would eat the stuff like candy during the outbreak. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW GOOD OR BAD AN IDEA THAT LEVEL OF LYSINE WAS FOR MY BODY. I am not a doctor; I was just a guy having an outbreak doing whatever it took to make it stop and go away, and binging on the Lysine would greatly reduce the severity and duration of the outbreaks. If I started a Lysine binge soon enough during the initial outbreak - like when I felt that distinct bulge forming - I would only get one set of blisters and the whole episode would last (until the skin was 'normal' again) about seven days. Also, once I brought Lysine into my life I observed there was no more pimple in the last set of blisters.

The other thing I tried was a cream that contained Allantoin. This had been an ingredient listed in a product called Herpecin-L, which came in a container like lipstick or chap stick. It was applied on the area where there were blisters and it seemed to help the skin heal faster. Over time the ingredient list on that product dropped Allantoin and it did not seem to work as well. Then I found a cream called Udderly Smooth. It lists Allantoin as an ingredient and Udderly Smooth helped my skin heal after an outbreak. By 'helped the skin heal' I mean that for me it would shortened the healing process from 6 or 7 days to about 4 or 5. But again, like binging on Lysine tablets, I would be rubbing the cream on many times a day.

At this point, as said before, I had reduced my outbreaks from 6 or more episodes of outbreaks a year with each lasting well more than a week, to about one a year lasting about a week from tingle to being healed.

In early 2017 motivated by other issues and experiences I again became highly energized to search the Internet for everything that was known or being studied about HSV vaccines or cures. Ultimately many, many web searches and lots of reading lead me to this study: "Efficacy of the anti-VZV (anti-HSV3) vaccine in HSV1 and HSV2 recurrent herpes simplex disease: a prospective study" by Le Goaster et al. Following that I also found the aforementioned patent which laid out the protocol in detail. I presented this to my primary care physician (a different one than one who decades earlier first diagnosed my 'rashes' as HSV-1). In accordance with the protocol my physician wrote me a prescription for Valacylcovir (cost through my health plan: US$21). By my own decision I went off all my Lysine and fish oils for a week before beginning the protocol. I also, more so than my normal vigilance, was going to avoid Arginine intake during the coming months. I began the protocol on June 17th, 2017. From 17-21 June 2017 I did the five day regimen of 500mg of Valacyclovir once in the morning and once in the evening. Four weeks later, on July 20th, 2017, I had my first shot of Varivax (cost through my health plan US$0 because they give immunization shots for free!). As is the case for most people I had no adverse reaction to the shot.

Two weeks and a day later, August 4th, 2017, I had a small bump appear on my skin in the facial hair region. I had been feeling pre-explosion rumblings there for a couple days. The bump felt exactly like the beginning of an HSV outbreak. No outbreak ever came, meaning no blisters formed. The bump slowly subsided over the next several days. On August 5th I had several more bumps appear near the first bump. These again felt like the normal second set of outbreaks following an initial outbreak. These bumps got a little bigger than the first bumps the day before. They were very itchy and more appeared in this same second area on following day, August 6th. But again, no blisters. After a couple days the bumps subsided. It was like the HSV was trying to have an outbreak but it never came to fruition. Also, when these bumps happened, I took no anti-virals and I took no Lysine -- I just let my body handle it. (I have read postings of people who received the VZV shot, had an outbreak, took their antivirals, and did not get the desired long term results from the VZV -- and I am left wondering how much the antivirals interfered with the VZV shot?)

On August 24th, ten weeks after going off Lysine and Fish oils, nine weeks after starting the protocol and five weeks to the day after my first Varivax shot I had a full slice of "Linda's Fudge Cake" from The Cheesecake Factory. I chose this date for three (unequal) reasons. First, the Varivax instructions (google "varivax insert" and pick the www.fda.gov link) say the booster should should be taken between four and eight weeks after the initial shot. Second, I had a booster shot scheduled for the six week mark (August 31st). Third, I am only human and my curiosity was getting the better of me. Two days later, on August 26th I ate a full 8oz can of Cashews. Both serving sizes, for the Fudge Cake and the Cashews, had each _always_ been enough to induce an outbreak and the outbreaks would come generally come about three days after eating the items. No outbreaks ever came. Also, no bumps and no tingle.

On August 31st, six weeks after my first Viravax shot I had my second shot of Varivax (cost through my health plan was again zero!). I do  not know whether this booster shot was needed, but after having lived with HSV for so long and so wanting to be done with outbreaks my decision was not to risk anything.

Regarding my history with Chickenpox, the medical records my mother kept show I had Chickenpox in the summer of 1966 (thanks Mom, for keeping and passing on such good records!). I would have been four and half at that time. It also means I had never had the Chickenpox vaccine. I do not know how crucial or critical that is/was for my case.

I had a blood drawn and tested on July 7th, 2017, before my first VZV shot.
HSV 1 IGG, EIA             >58.00
HSV 2 IGG, EIA            < 0.90
VARICELLA ZOSTER VIRUS IGM, IF    <=0.90
Yes, July 7th is before the Varivax shot but after the Valacyclorvir regime. Blood had been drawn before the Valacyclovir regime but those tests were botched.

I also had blood drawn on August 31st, 2017, _before_ the VZV booster shot.
HSV 1 IGG, EIA              55.60
HSV 2 IGG, EIA            < 0.90
VARICELLA ZOSTER VIRUS IGM, IF    >=1.10

I realize one pair of failed attempts to induce an outbreak may not seem like a definitive test. At the same time, words escape me to convey how until now it had been a given for me that bathing myself in such a large consumption of Arginine from chocolate (like that full slice of "Linda's Fudge Cake") or Cashews (a full 8oz container) would ALWAYS cause an outbreak, even when I was prophylacticly taking Lysine and fish oils -- and now that simply has not happened. Further, it has been _more_than_a_year_ and still NO OUTBREAKS. A year not only of no outbreaks but also no constant Lysine or other supplements and no dietary controls or other restrictions. My life has returned to 'normal' - I am living the dream each of us has.

As the Le Goaster paper also says the protocol was effective against HSV-1 and HSV-2. I can say it seems to have been effective for me against HSV-1.

I realize this is a long posting. I hope the details of my experiences are helpful.

Your symptoms match mine 100%. I’ve never had my rashes swabbed, though 

WilsoInAus
6 hours ago, blurneworder said:

Your symptoms match mine 100%. I’ve never had my rashes swabbed, though 

You’ve never had a facial lesion where the triigeminal nerve reaches!

hi202020
On 3/17/2017 at 1:34 AM, Mackie82 said:

Dear all please share your expreneice , information , knowledge about the shingles vax for HSV 1&2, my concren is the nerve pain assoitated with HSV and not the ob's , does shingles vaccine will help is reducing the nerves pain and neuropathy issue anyone has tried it or knows someone who did please help . Thanks 

Hey Mackie I have the same neuralgia that you do, did you find anything that helped you? Did you try any vaccines? I’m feeling desperate as I’ve had non stop neuralgia/pain for 4+ months after contracting GHSV-1.

hi202020
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, win said:

Hey hi202020, the Varivax vaccine definitely removed the neuralgia for me, at least so far (fingers crossed).

My signs of HSV1 infection after the blood test came back positive in December (with a high IGG of over 55) were: horrible flu symptoms initially (in February) with swollen lymph nodes, followed by almost non-stop, super painful genital neuralgia, and one oral outbreak in March.

However, the neuralgia has completely disappeared since the end of April (about a month or so). I had the first vaccine on April 10 and the booster shot on May 19, so about a week ago.

Hi Win,

Thank you so much for your reply (it looks like Mackie's account is no longer active, does anyone know if his situation improved?).

I've been in the lowest part of my life over the non-stop neuralgia for the past 4.5 months so hearing this glimmer of hope is fantastic.

The difficult part for those of us with neuralgia from HSV is the medical community, and some posters on this forum discount the fact that HSV can cause neuralgia when it clearly does (especially for those of us that experience it!). At the very least the HSV activates some kind of auto-immune response for some people that causes the neuralgia, which in any case is a cause and effect in and of itself, but I'm fairly certain based on how it feels in my body that it's directly the HSV moving through the nerves which is causing the neuralgia and pain symptoms.

Have you had any other vaccines in your vaccine history that would be relevant to know about?

Have you noticed any other side effects from the vaccines? Did the neuralgia go away slowly?

What was your protocol in addition to the vaccinations that you feel benefited you? Have you been taking anti-virals? Any and all details you can share would be amazing so I can look into matching and modeling what you've done as much as possible.

Edited by hi202020

Sarah889

Does anyone know if taking this vaccine will reduce shedding? It costs £200 at my local private clinic (I'm 21 so wouldn't be eligible to get it for free) and my main worry is transmitting this to someone else. 

WilsoInAus

@win these are very serious issues and comments about a vaccine that has little scientific basis for addressing HSV-1 issues that also have no biological basis for existing.

Why is it that HSV-1 ought to be causing your genital issues as opposed to VZV?

hi202020
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, win said:

Geez. I'm sorry, but I'll choose to ignore Wilson's comment.

And I will also deactivate my account because I have better things to do other than deal with negativity on forums. I just wanted to share anyway and hope the info I shared may help others. Good luck everyone and best of health!

Hey Wiz,

Please don’t deactivate your account, myself and others are benefiting greatly from you sharing your experience. You can deactivate other forum users posts from showing in your feed, I’ve done this myself. 

Id really appreciate it if you could keep us posted on your progress and hopefully the news will be that your neuralgia continues to stay in remission and you don’t have any outbreaks either! I’m crossing my fingers for you. Thanks again for sharing it means a lot. 

I just ordered the tincture you shared, looking forward to trying it.

Is there a reason you opted for the Varivax vs the Zostvax? After a quick search it looks like they’re the same vaccine but Zosvax has a higher dose, and is designed for people 60 and older. Is it even possible to get the Zostvax if you’re under 60? I’m 29.

Edited by hi202020

hi202020
On 5/26/2019 at 10:23 PM, Sarah889 said:

Does anyone know if taking this vaccine will reduce shedding? It costs £200 at my local private clinic (I'm 21 so wouldn't be eligible to get it for free) and my main worry is transmitting this to someone else. 

Hey Sarah,

Based on my limited research and knowledge I don’t believe that the VARIVAX vaccine has any proven or documented effect on HSV shedding. I’m pretty sure anti-virals are the most effective (and possibly only) class of therapy that have been shown to reduce shedding. I hope this helps.

WilsoInAus
8 hours ago, win said:

Geez. I'm sorry, but I'll choose to ignore Wilson's comment.

And I will also deactivate my account because I have better things to do other than deal with negativity on forums. I just wanted to share anyway and hope the info I shared may help others. Good luck everyone and best of health!

That’s  it really unacceptable. 

You have attributed all manner of symptoms to herpes without any evidence that you have HSV-1 genitally let alone whether it is even causing the said symptoms. 

To advocate an unrelated drug as then helping is not appropriate for our readers as you can see a younger more impressionable reader then contemplates it. 

James123

Hey guys. I’m just thinking about taking varivax. But I think I’ve already taken when I was a child.. I called the vax clinic and they said I need to show my vax card and if it’s true I’m only able to take 1 time(I’m from Brasil).. do you think I could still have good results? Or even the same. Because the study shows it with the boost 6 weeks after.. thank you!