World's Largest Herpes Support Group
maryland

Zostvax ( shingles vaccine )

osten
their bodies are young and resilient i am 39. vaccines have been proven to cause serious problems of the nervous system and immune system and it seems that only 5-10% of actual injuries are reported which makes the numbers the CDC gives unreliable.

http://thinktwice.com/cpox.htm

http://www.nvic.org/NVIC-site-search-result.aspx?q=chickenpox

They give the vaccine to very young children and in extremely high doses, for shingles, to people much older than you, and many of those who get it have HSV. The medical community considers this a safe vaccine.

It's good you posted your experience though. We should have all the information we need available to us. I don't think it shows that the vaccine is unsafe.

nik2413
Nik, to be honest, this sounds more encouraging to me than bad news. Were you taking Valtrex for all 3 years without breaks? This supposedly does take time. I plan to get the vaccine myself soon. This doesn't deter my decision.

Yes, in somewhat low doses. 250mg every couple of days or so for the past three years (up until the initial VZV at the beginning of August) and while I had constant itching/irritation, I didn't have any outbreaks. I hope that the VZV vaccine does just take time to kick in, and hopefully the booster helped. The last week has been great, my irritation level is at a 1/10 over the past week compared to a 8 or 9 over the past few years with low dosage valtrex. not sure if this is the vaccine doing its job, or the calm after my outbreak. I'll keep everybody posted.

deanjones20

From what I understand, you are not supposed to take valtrex after receiving the vaccine. The CP vaccine is a live attenuated vaccine and I believe that taking valtrex will kill the CP virus. You are supposed to wait for about 8 weeks before seeing total results. For me, I have seen complete results after 4 weeks. I am going to take the booster soon.

osten
From what I understand, you are not supposed to take valtrex after receiving the vaccine. The CP vaccine is a live attenuated vaccine and I believe that taking valtrex will kill the CP virus. You are supposed to wait for about 8 weeks before seeing total results. For me, I have seen complete results after 4 weeks. I am going to take the booster soon.

Sounds great Dean! How long so far have you been outbreak free? How long is normal for you?

newmember111

Yes, please elaborate on "complete results" and what your normal outbreak patterns are, please!!

deanjones20

What I mean is that I have not gotten any symptoms or OB's after the 4th week of receiving the vaccine. I normally get an OB every 2-3 weeks. I will be receiving the booster soon.

Lifestest

Vzv

Deanjones how did you have the vaccine administered the standard subcutaneous route or intradermally as stated in the study. Please let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you on this.

deanjones20

I got the vaccine via subcutaneous injection. I had OB's in the first three weeks and did not take valtrex. Because the CP vaccine is a live attenuated virus, I really think that people taking valtrex after receiving the vaccine will harm the effectiveness of the CP vaccine. Keep off of it and let the CP vaccine do its work over time. It has worked for me and I am two months into it.

Going to get the booster and will ask for the intradermal injection, but if they don't administer it to me that way, I will get it via subcutaneously. Happy so far.

Lifestest

Deanjones

Thank you for replying to my questions. I am actually at the 3 week mark today. I do not ever really get outbreaks but I get the zings and zangs in the legs and butt and I know the virus is active. I have been getting all of that worse now after the vaccine. Have you had any prodomes or any hint of the virus since the 3 week mark? After I get the booster shot at about 2 weeks I am going to do a 4 X day X 30day pcr swabbing to test for shedding. I will let you all know how that goes once I have the results back. Any further insight on your current results would be great!

silly

I've been thinking about doing this, but I am on Valtrex and don't really want to stop taking it. I started taking it about 3 days after my symptoms started. My questions is if Valtrex will kill the vaccine, then why doesn't it kill the herpes when you get it?

fh12

What they believe in the study is that the increase in the VZV antibodies fights the herpes virus. The valtrex fights off the VZV virus so your body can't build the VZV antibodies which you need to fight HSV. That is my guess!

Handsome Jimmy

i got it sep 12 and since then there has been the twingy feelings all the time. I thought mayeb I had jock itch and sprayed myself down with lotrimin but it didnt help.

last week i felt an ob coming but all i got was a red bump on the scrotum which is a strange place for me to get one.

No replication, I just popped it and it was gone the next day. Maybe it was a zit, not sure.

But yesterday I noticed my upper lip getting hard and painful and today there was a full blown cluster blister.

it is smaller then the one i normally get when i have an oral ob but it is there.

i am going to get the booster in another week and ask for it to be sub dermal. I got it at walgreens and i am not ure how they did it. It felt like it went into the muscle and i think the website says to put it in the dermal.

my other concern is that many times clinical study groups will put together a bogus study in an effort to get funding from either the government or a drug company.

they pay themselves a salary and milk it for as long as they can.

I hope this isnt the case, i hope this is a cure but after getting this ob and reading where others are still getting them then i dont know what to think.

i keep reading into things and telling myself what i want to believe but i am worried.

I will get the booster and see where this goes. I have tried everything and i mean everything out there.

Handsome Jimmy

one thought i have is that if the vaccine prompts your body to make antibodies then perhaps if you have a weaker immune system then maybe it takes longer than 20 days to reach your full level?

i eat lots of junk food and have gluten allergies which have made me anemic.

maybe to get the best results you need to be in perfect health then get the vaccine and allow it to build the antibodies?

andli

Your body will clear all the VZX virus in several days after the injection .Once you build up the VZX antibodies, Valtrex will do nothing to decresae the porduction of the VZX antiboidies.

But the VZX antibodies level will drop with time as you do not have onging VZX infection

Handsome Jimmy

what was the reason for taking valtex at 200mg a day then waiting 3 weeks before the vaccine? will having an active ob stop your body from making the antibodies?

Sininen

Having a generally healthy lifestile with a somewhat healthy diet and a regular exercise regime is said to boost your immune system naturally, so it would probably help with building up vaccine antibodies too. Nobody knows for sure why the French put everyone on antivirals and 3 weeks later gave the first shot of the vaccine however the most popular guesses are that they wanted to start off everyone of the study participants on the same level and that the antivirals were supposed to give your immune system a break and that it takes about 21 days for your immune system to start up again and the first vaccine shot will work in boosting your immune system too.

Handsome Jimmy

After reading through all of this it appears that those who did not follow the protocol by taking valtrex for 6 days first are still having outbreaks.

There isnt anyone posting that followed this to see how they are doing but as of yet I cannot find anyone who got the shot and says they are ob free for any length of time.

my other concern is that by getting teh shot the way i did perhpas i have messed it up?

also if the zorivax vac. is the same as varivax and those who got it still get ob's then why are we even bothering with this?

Lifestest

Can anyone help. I do not really get obs but I feel the virus in my back and legs etc. It has been much worse since I got the vaccine. I did a few days of the acyclovir before the vaccine. I only did a couple days and then had the vaccine 24 hours later. Do you think that it is possible to start the process again from the beginning and do the 6 days on acyclovir and then have the vaccine administered again? Do you think that I screwed this up from doing it the wrong way from the get go? Any insight on this would be helpful.

dangitinAL

Lifestest, try using CoQ10 and ATP. It should help within a few days. They are both foe mitochodria..nerve endings.

andli

Lifetest,It is no harm to reinject again,

Please make sure your body clears all antiviral before injection,as antiviral may inhibit the VZX virus from elicit your immune response

Lifestest

andi I appreciate your insight on this. I do not think that there will be any harm in re injecting which I am already planning on doing. My question is did I hamper the ability for this to work but not following the protocol exactly as it was stated but not taking the aciclovir for 6 days prior and then waiting 3 weeks to do the vaccine. I did it for a couple days stopped and did the vaccine the next day. Now my real question is now the my body has already developed antibodies from the first vaccine did I hamper the vaccines ability to work and making the second injection pointless. I do not see how the study group could have had 100% remission but now people trying it our not having success. Could it be that is study is not for real or are we not following the directions as we should be. Any help or insight on this would be great.

Handsome Jimmy

i spoke to a dr. and he thinks they included the acyclovir or valtrex so they could have a drug attached and this would help in future grants from drug companies.

he said that your immune is always running and doesnt take breaks and antivirals would not do anything like that anyway.

but still the facts remain....those who did not follow are still having ob's and there are no reports from those who did.

i am now 6 weeks out from it and i should be getting a genital outbreak but so far i am clear.

i did however get a full blown oral ob which i get once a year or so.

my plan now is to take lots of things like echinacea to boost the immune and then next week get another shot.

there is no mention in the study about taking valtrex after the first shot.

but i am worried that this study never really took place at all.

they will answer your emails but its just a computer generated response that says the same thing no matter what you ask.

Lifestest

I did get the doctor to respond to me but very vague saying the vaccine can be taken either way subcutaneously or intradermally. She just said either way would work. Why would they go through so much trouble to put these findings together in a study report like they presented if it never took place. What would be there motivation to do that? What would they gain by lying about such a study. I hope they did not lie on this as it has given me hope. I was even going to do a shedding test.

Handsome Jimmy

can you find out why they wanted you to take valtrex and how it all worked together?

ask them if there is a chance it would work without valtrex and if you ruined it by doing so?

thanks