World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
maryland

Zostvax ( shingles vaccine )

Emmamae

It seems to me that all the patients in the french study were on long term antiviral suppression, their last outbreak was treated with high dose antivirals, and then (a few weeks later) they received the cp vaccine. This means that their viral load was significantly reduced before the administration of cp vaccine. It may be necessary to reduce your viral load before vaccination so that antibodies produced by the cp vaccine are able to handle the outbreaks (this may be why some people are slowly improving). I contracted the cold sore virus June of this year and am on 1000mg valacyclovir suppression for my monthly outbreaks (which have been greatly reduced from entire lip burning and tingling to one or two unnoticeable bumps). I showed my doctor the frecnch study article. She read it and then said let's check to see if your anti-VZV antibody levels are in fact low according to what is defined by the french study before giving you the vaccination. I am waiting for my results.

orangejulius

Lifestest, Handsome Jimmy

I had my first and only outbreak in early August of this year. I did 6 days of Acyclovir on September 1st and got my first Varicalla shot on October 5th, and will go back for a booster in a few weeks. I had the shot admiistered the standard way because getting th nurse to give it to me at all was a challenge (she wanted me to get blood work to test for chickenpox antibodies first, which would have ruled me out from getting it.

Lifestest, how are you getting the swabbing done? From your medical doctor? Did she/he recommend it? My biggest concern at this point it whether I can pass HSV-1 on to others.

Thanks guys :)! All the best to everyone xx

*Also, I should point out that when I did have an outbreak it was pretty mild, even though I didn't take any meds for it. Also, I tested positive for HSV-1 and didn't really have the typical blisters, just sore itchy bumps that went away when I applied raw honey topically.

lurker34

Posting to pass on a positive result. A friend of mine who used to get an outbreak every month had the vaccine 6 days after the Dove Press post went up, and hasn't had an outbreak now in, what, 3 months. They're getting the booster next week.

I've not bothered to get it myself yet, but i might now.

newmember111
Posting to pass on a positive result. A friend of mine who used to get an outbreak every month had the vaccine 6 days after the Dove Press post went up, and hasn't had an outbreak now in, what, 3 months. They're getting the booster next week.

I've not bothered to get it myself yet, but i might now.

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Emmamae

my anti-hsv3 antibody level was 2.98 (Ab level after vaccination was 1.69 in the french study patients). I don't think I will bother getting the cp vaccine(since I already have plenty of anti-vzv antibodies). I am very disappointed. Maybe, antiviral suppression will be sufficient to decrease the frequency of my cold sore outbreaks.

Suntown

Hi. I have been checking this thread for past few weeks, used to post on hubpages a while back. Can anyone explain why so many recent posts just disappeared? Some of those posts seemed informative and positive.

accelerate the response

Got the VZV shot today!! Subcutaneous and just after three weeks since completing the x2 500mg Valtrex a day for six days routine. I am now going to read every reference in the French study and see what comes out of that. I have a booster shot scheduled for six weeks from now. I remain hopeful that this MAY be of considerable help in reducing outbreaks below the visible threshold (not that I've had that many). After the booster shot I will have a regular swab test done for evidence HSV and see what happens.

newmember111
Got the VZV shot today!! Subcutaneous and just after three weeks since completing the x2 500mg Valtrex a day for six days routine. I am now going to read every reference in the French study and see what comes out of that. I have a booster shot scheduled for six weeks from now. I remain hopeful that this MAY be of considerable help in reducing outbreaks below the visible threshold (not that I've had that many). After the booster shot I will have a regular swab test done for evidence HSV and see what happens.

Thanks for your efforts! I look forward to your updates!

Pipi

Anybody knows if I should have the booster during an OB or wait until it heals?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

fallguy

Thought I'd throw in my experiences. I have HSV1 oral. When I first started having ob's, they were 4-5 times a year. I started taking valacyclovir to shorten each ob but found the meds unfortunately made the virus more aggressive, now I have small outbreaks pretty much every month. And by small I mean a single sore here, a single sore there. I have a script for acyclovir but don't really use it much anymore - I find even if it does shorten one outbreak it usually causes a new one to begin!

Okay, so I read the French report in the summer and got the vaccine at Walgreens shortly thereafter. First two weeks were clear. Then I did get a small ob, but I noticed the cycle was MUCH shorter. One day the sore was red, the next it had formed into a whitehead, the next day it had recessed and gone back to red, the next day it was gone. I'm sure it was a sore and not acne. So even though the virus hadn't subsided it seemed to hasten the process which I was glad about.

Then four weeks in I went on vacation to a very sunny spot. And even though I plied on the sunscreen, I got an ob on my upper lip which did NOT go away in four days and followed the normal cycle of a cold sore. Shortly thereafter, I got the booster shot. And I still get ob's. But some are very brief (3-4 days) and some are not (1-2 weeks).

I hadn't been reading this thread and didn't realize that taking anti-virals might actually damage the live vaccine. I did take some meds after the booster shot when having an ob and have noticed the ob's are more frequent since then. And pop up in areas they haven't before, like my neck. I don't know - since I've possibly lowered the antibodies by taking meds, should I even consider getting a third shot?

I don't know if anyone else has experienced side-effect with Shingles. Apparently getting the vaccine can cause them if you've never had them before. I had not. But about two weeks after the first shot I noticed a few pox on my back (never happened before), which were very itchy/painful for a couple days. They eventually subsided two weeks later but left scars on my back. It's not a major cause of concern for me, but another slightly frustrating battle in the war against this virus. So, just so everyone knows, Shingles is a possibility.

Has anyone gotten another shot after the booster? I'm guessing that could be potentially dangerous?

Handsome Jimmy

I got the booster sat afternoon and that night an ob started. Although it may have been starting earlier that day before i got the shot.

I am really put off from this because in the french study there were people never got a second shot and were still ob free and so far not one person who has done this can report that they are ob free.

The few who say they are not having ob's are people who rarely get them to begin with.

i get them every 5-6 weeks so if i get another one then i will know this doesnt work since by then there will have been enough time to build the full amount of antibodies.

another concern is that if the zostvax vaccine is the same but 20 time stronger as i have read then I dont see how this could work since that approach has already been tried.

sorry to be so negative but there is something wrong with this, either the study was a sham or we have missed something.

the response i get from the french doctor is the same reply each time just a copy and pasted email and there is no other information on the web about this.

fh12

This is a guess but it may be the method of administration and how it effects the immune system. In the French study, they did this intradermally. I would like some input from those who are versed in intradermal versus subcutaneous vaccines. Also , anybody on this thread who had the shot via intradermal administration.

Thanks for all those posting after the vaccine!

newmember111
I got the booster sat afternoon and that night an ob started. Although it may have been starting earlier that day before i got the shot.

I am really put off from this because in the french study there were people never got a second shot and were still ob free and so far not one person who has done this can report that they are ob free.

The few who say they are not having ob's are people who rarely get them to begin with.

i get them every 5-6 weeks so if i get another one then i will know this doesnt work since by then there will have been enough time to build the full amount of antibodies.

another concern is that if the zostvax vaccine is the same but 20 time stronger as i have read then I dont see how this could work since that approach has already been tried.

sorry to be so negative but there is something wrong with this, either the study was a sham or we have missed something.

the response i get from the french doctor is the same reply each time just a copy and pasted email and there is no other information on the web about this.

I believe it was for GHSV2 also, not HSV1. So if that's what you're treating, then it is not the same as the study.

Nole
This is a guess but it may be the method of administration and how it effects the immune system. In the French study, they did this intradermally. I would like some input from those who are versed in intradermal versus subcutaneous vaccines. Also , anybody on this thread who had the shot via intradermal administration.

Thanks for all those posting after the vaccine!

I doubt it was the route of administration. On page 55 of the Dove study it states under results...

"In this study, of the 24 vaccinated patients who were cured, 11 received only one subcutaneous vaccination and showed complete recovery from herpes disease, as did the 13 patients who received a second or third anti-VZV vaccination.

I'm guessing this is a language issue translating french to english. The study claims in one part that it was given intradermal but as above it states it was given subcutaneous as well. Even if given subcutaneously, one is still going to get an immune response from it and subcutaneous is the recommended route of administration for the vaccine typically

Handsome Jimmy

walgreens does it in teh dermal and not the muscle, i made sure of this.

i am treating hsv 2 and today i got a huge surprise.

My entire testical area, the 'ball sac' or scrotum is so swollen that it looks like i have elephant balls.

there are lumps all along the penis shaft as well.

It may be the nodes are draining or having a bad reaction to the mercury in the vaccine because yesterday there were golf ball size lumps all on teh bottom of my feet and I could hardly walk. Then I had the saliva glands under my tongue swell up as well.

if my feet and tongue were not messed up I would be worried but I am confident that this will be gone in a day or so.

its freaky for sure but i am in no pain which tells me its water filling up some areas.

I did just get the booster last weekend soif i get an ob in about 5 weeks then i will say this doesnt work.

the french study makes no sense unless it took a year or so for the people to stop having OB's. it isnt very clear and I cant get a response from them.

as of now nothing makes sense and it may just be another scam or stupid joke.

there was once an article on a drug called Ribivirin which was a cure but all those who tried it got nothing but bad headaches from it. Lets face it we live in a sick world, just look at who the masses voted in for a second term if you need any proof.....

fh12

The study states intradermal in last paragraph of page 52. I need an expert opinion on this since that is the only difference. This was for both HSV 1 and 2 and Varivax not the Shingles vaccine. They may administer this vaccine intradermally in other countries.

Handsome Jimmy

its done intradermally, i feel i am going crazy trying to drive this point across.

just ask the person who is going to shoot you and they will confirm.

fh12

On the Varivax website , it says subcutaneous which those who posted on this thread from the US said it was subcutaneous. Intradermal is within the skin, subcutaneous is under the skin. Still waiting on an expert opinion on the difference.

Nole

I'm a medical lab technician. Intramuscular is in the muscle, intravenous is in the vein, subcutaneous is under the skin and intradermal is IN the skin. It is a very superficial shot and usually a bubble forms on the skin because it is so close to the surface. Most vaccines are given subcutaneous or intramuscular. Very few are ever given intradermal. The labelled use for varivax is subcutaneous so if you were to walk into a doctors office and ask for the vaccine, that's how they are going to shoot you

Handsome Jimmy

the study claims it was done subcutaneous but 11 of the people only got one shot and stopped having outbreaks.

I have now had two shots and now have a set of elephant balls.

fh12

Does the intradermal effect the immune system differently? That is the question and according to some of my research online, it does. You need lower doses of some vaccines if you give them intradermally. Up to ten times lower! (WHO, intradermal delivery of vaccines) That may be why it was more effective in France if it was indeed done intradermally. Anybody have it done intradermally, please post!

fh12

This study was not clear and they are unwilling to give us anymore information. I have emailed two of the doctors, one didn't respond, one responded with a standard reply.

Nole
Does the intradermal effect the immune system differently? That is the question and according to some of my research online, it does. You need lower doses of some vaccines if you give them intradermally. Up to ten times lower! (WHO, intradermal delivery of vaccines) That may be why it was more effective in France if it was indeed done intradermally. Anybody have it done intradermally, please post!

I don't know how much of a difference it would make if any, however, if giving it intradermally can mean that a lower dose is necessary, (possibly ten times lower) then in theory, all the people who got the shingles vaccine subcutaneously which is stronger, should have gotten some relief and that doesn't appear to be the case.

The fact that the folks who did the study are being evasive, and they say in the study it was given intradermally and then also say it was given subcutaneously (which one was it for Pete's sake?) really makes me wonder. Also I can't help but think about that other poster, sorry I don't remember his name, who went to France and spoke with the woman who did the study and I believe she insisted he must be HIV positive and that's why it didn't work for him. The poor guy suffered so much additional stress worrying about it only to get tested and obviously relieved to find out he was negative!

Ugh!