World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
maryland

Zostvax ( shingles vaccine )

accelerate the response

nik, that's fantastic. I get my booster in about two and a half weeks time and so I will remain optimistic. The study did use the words "decreased to zero" in relation to outbreaks, and so I am hoping this means that the effect was indeed not instantaneous but developed over time. Thanks again for this great update.

fh12

McNulty, how have you been since your posting on 11/24/12? Nik2413, glad to hear the vaccine is working for you.

mcnulty

fh12, I've written off the vaccine. It seemed to be sort of working for about two months (reduced but still daily itching/zapping) but then I got an outbreak two weeks ago that still hasn't healed. The itches and zaps are still daily and still maddening. I have a superinfection on top of H so maybe that is causing me some problems but the fact is that this virus is still front and center.

fh12

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. Have you tried the creatine which nik2413 has successfully used? I know it is on other threads on this site and I know somebody it works for so I am going to try it at some point also.

jamielannister

I haven't said anything on this thread, but I received both the initial vaccine and booster about 4 and 5 months ago. I have GHSV-1. Before the vaccine, I had a constant pain in my testicles and pretty regular outbreaks every month to every 2 months. About a month after the first vaccine i had a little redness for about 2 days and that was it. The constant pain in my testicles is gone for the most part. I just got over the flu (something that usually is followed up by an outbreak) and I have not had an outbreak. I do not feel that the vaccine has cured me because I do feel the occasion pain I associate with the virus, but I feel that it has drastically slowed down my outbreaks and pain I was in. I just thought yall would like to know my experience with this so far. Let me know if you have any questions.

lovelyoptimistic

Have not read this in a while, but does anyone know the current status for trials to further test validity?

Harley1986
I haven't said anything on this thread, but I received both the initial vaccine and booster about 4 and 5 months ago. I have GHSV-1. Before the vaccine, I had a constant pain in my testicles and pretty regular outbreaks every month to every 2 months. About a month after the first vaccine i had a little redness for about 2 days and that was it. The constant pain in my testicles is gone for the most part. I just got over the flu (something that usually is followed up by an outbreak) and I have not had an outbreak. I do not feel that the vaccine has cured me because I do feel the occasion pain I associate with the virus, but I feel that it has drastically slowed down my outbreaks and pain I was in. I just thought yall would like to know my experience with this so far. Let me know if you have any questions.

Would you please explain how you recieved the vaccine.... how many shots, timeframes, interdermal, subcutaneous, etc. Sorry, my spellings may not be correct. Lol, but you get the idea. I emailed my doctor the information on this vaccine, and I am waiting to hear back from her. Any info would be great as I am thinking about trying this. It can't hurt as I have constant pain and outbreaks. On Valtrex now, but it just tones down the pain, and still get small outbreaks one after the other.

accelerate the response

X6 days Valacyclovir 2x 500 mg a day then three weeks without Valacyclovir (Valtrex) then a shot of the VZV vaccine called Varivax in Europe also known as Varilrix administered as an intradermal shot. Then six weeks later another intradermal shot of the vaccine completes the course. Common experience seems to be an outbreak at about week three post the VZV shot, which may be a reaction to the build up of VZV antibody. Subsequent experience on the basis of this board is mixed - some have had a reduction in symptoms and severity and some have not. In any event, even if you have had chickenpox in the past, the VZV shot cannot harm you unless you are seriously immune compromised. In all cases, you should always follow a medical practitioners advice.

Handsome Jimmy

I dont think this is working as I have now just had another really bad OB.

Its been 3 weeks since the booster.

The weird thing is that the OB's I get are in strange places where I never normally have them.

Sweet7

We have been finding the same thing happening with people in Cure Research. The only explanation we can think of is that your immune cells started working better where you normally have ob's, however the virus is believed to be able to hijack the nerve signal pathways, then send virus to other nerves, and then come out of the other nerve endings. Were hoping that the immune system will then start finding those nerve endings and control them which will hopefully lead to control of the virus. Keep in mind that it is the adaptive immune system that controls HSV and it takes some time for it to adapt. Crossing fingers that this theory is right.

newmember111

Good points Sweet7. We must remember that this study didn't say instant cures. It was over many years that they eventually reached a suppressed virus...

helpiamconfused2
Would you please explain how you recieved the vaccine.... how many shots, timeframes, interdermal, subcutaneous, etc. Sorry, my spellings may not be correct. Lol, but you get the idea. I emailed my doctor the information on this vaccine, and I am waiting to hear back from her. Any info would be great as I am thinking about trying this. It can't hurt as I have constant pain and outbreaks. On Valtrex now, but it just tones down the pain, and still get small outbreaks one after the other.

Please share with us what your physician says...

fh12

Accelerate the Response, So you followed the French protocol exactly with the two intradermal shots. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works for everybody who got this vaccine but especially curious to see if the intradermal made a difference.

accelerate the response

Only had the first shot so for, next one due six weeks after the first and yes, I followed the French protocol as written. The Varivax shot was given as per the instructions that came with it. I have had one O/B since at the three week point, much like others seems to have had. Not giving up hope just yet as shot two has yet to happen and so, I assume, the antibody response has yet to reach its maximum.

fh12

Just checking to see if anybody who received the Varivax vaccine has anything new to report. Thanks to all of you for the updates!

accelerate the response

Sooo, a slanging match instead of any reference to the VZV vaccine and its effects. And...back to the topic:

Coming up for the six week booster shot for me. Interested to see how this turns out after x1 O/B at the three weeks after the first shot point, as have many others it seems.

My experience may be less representative as I will be going to Moscow in January for their HSV2 vaccine Vitaherpavac as well.

accelerate the response

Completely lost the argument that went on there. Thanks for the good wishes re Vitaherpavac.

HC-Support-Team

Ok peoples, this is a Support Forum not a place to have school yard arguments.

Please respect ALL members and obey the forum rules at all times. You can browse them here for a refresh: http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?30786-Please-read-before-posting&p=169863#post169863

If this argument continues the posts will be deleted and bans may be imposed. This applies to all members who speak in an unfriendly or non-supportive tone toward other members.

Shenda

cindys

i dont believe this could work. Antigen specific T-cells are needed to fight herpes. there are no hsv 2 antigens in this vaccine.

accelerate the response

Yes there are alpha herpes specific virus antigens in the VZV vaccine . If you read the paper and its references you will see that. HSV2 is in the class of alpha herpes viruses.

cindys

You do not have to be so rude. I did read the paper and it does not have hsv 1 or 2 antigens in it. Being classified in the alpha group is no where near the same as antigen specific and that is why it will not work. I suppose it shouldnt hurt to get it but i would not for myself. Are there any other vaccines?

accelerate the response

No rudeness intended. Please read the paper and its annexes which describe polyclonal antibody stimulation and then reassess. It would be odd for a group of professional doctors to put their name to something they blatantly did not believe. Its early days for everyone who has followed this protocol and time will tell what results we all achieve. There are flaws in the French study methodology and that may be why they published it in an open access journal. Tellingly, however, the original designer of the VZV vaccine from Japan has supported their research. Receiving the VZV vaccine will not harm you and MAY help. What is there to lose? You seem very certain of your conclusion that the VZV vaccine "will not work"? Do you have a medical, scientific or research background?

french

hi all,

a couple of months from now at least 30 people tried this vaccine,

we have not seen comments back from all those people,

can you therefore please post the results of it as when I read through this post, I see people for which it was beneficial and others for which it did not change anything.

Can you please update all of us with your situations?

Thank you very much

Harley1986
hi all,

a couple of months from now at least 30 people tried this vaccine,

we have not seen comments back from all those people,

can you therefore please post the results of it as when I read through this post, I see people for which it was beneficial and others for which it did not change anything.

Can you please update all of us with your situations?

Thank you very much

Thanks french, I agree! We all can speculate all we want, but it comes down to doing our own experiment within the HSV community. I would be willing to try this for my own situation, but I do want to hear back from those trying right now. I did send an email to my primary physician two weeks ago asking about the VZV/Varivax for Herpes... and I am still waiting on a response. I am probably going to email her next week to see if she has found anything, or if she has forgotten to check.