New HSV diagnosis but no new partner. Does the Virus really lay dormant for years?

wookoo

I am writing this as I am wondering how many of you have been diagnosed with HSV 2 and not had a new partner for at least 3 years? I keep hearing this stuff about how it can lay dormant, but I am not convinced? I have had the same sexual partner for 6 years and his blood tests (Igg) came back negative after my first outbreak last month and my positive HSV2 swab test. 

I have had tingling in my genital area on and off for about a year now maybe 18 months which suggests I may have had this for at least 18months, but definitely nothing when I met or in the first few years with my partner.  I have never witnessed any ulcers/sores in my genital area before. My partner is adamant that he has not had any other sexual encounters, and as we have been together for 5 years.

I would think that if I had it all that time and we had a lot of sex believe me, then why is he negative and I am positive? I read that it is harder for a man to catch off of a woman but I find 5 years hard to fathom out why he has tested negative unless he was recently infected.

I have been told by health care professionals that this virus can lay dormant for years, but I cannot find any real statistics for people who have been recently diagnosed but know that they have not had a new or even had a sexual partner prior to their infection?

Have any of you had a diagnosis that you are shocked by because of your long term relationship or because you have not had sexual contact for a couple of years?

I know that we are advised that you cannot catch this off of toilet seats, however if you use a toilet straight after somebody with an outbreak, like 1 or 2 minutes how do we know you cannot catch it.  I cant find evidence that suggests it dies immediately only quickly?

So many of us live with this in the 21st century and I am really finding it hard to understand how it could lay dormant for so long? If you like me have not had a new recent partner then please let me know, I would love to hear from you.

Hi Wookoo! To my understanding it's rare to have the virus day dormant for such a long period of time and then suddenly provoke symptoms, unless you have another hit to your immune system - but it can happen. (Unfortunately, I don't have any statistics.) In my case, I hadn't slept with my giver for three months before showing an outbreak; however, it's impossible to know when I contracted it, so I may have had it even longer than that.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for!

I have seen many stories of your situation in fact it has lay dormant for years... no cheating.  But you may have had symptoms that you have just disregarded as something else because not all symptoms are blisters.

It is also possible that you have such a strong immune system and he has as well that you have not transmitted it to him remember the risk is about 3% with unprotected sex.. if you want to be sure that's not him tell him to go test in another 3 months time.  It is also possible that he has it and has no outbreaks and just does not develop antibodies as that is possible as well.  The virus does not last long enough on a toilet seat for you to catch it and you would have to have an open cut and you would be more than likely to catch it on your buttocks than anywhere else

14 hours ago, notjejune said:

Hi Wookoo! To my understanding it's rare to have the virus day dormant for such a long period of time and then suddenly provoke symptoms, unless you have another hit to your immune system - but it can happen. (Unfortunately, I don't have any statistics.) In my case, I hadn't slept with my giver for three months before showing an outbreak; however, it's impossible to know when I contracted it, so I may have had it even longer than that.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for!

Hi Thanks so much for your reply.  The fact that I have had 2 outbreaks since finding out is making me think this is recent.  I think my case of 6 years with one partner makes me suspicious. I have been told there are others who have not had sex for years and suddenly shown symptoms.  I am now 52 years old and wondering why if it had laid dormant it would suddenly appear so viciously? I think the whole situation is made worse by the stigma attached to genital herpes.  People with cold sores do not get stigmatised whereas genital herpes really does see people running for cover. Peace to you x

14 hours ago, Lisajd said:

I have seen many stories of your situation in fact it has lay dormant for years... no cheating.  But you may have had symptoms that you have just disregarded as something else because not all symptoms are blisters.

It is also possible that you have such a strong immune system and he has as well that you have not transmitted it to him remember the risk is about 3% with unprotected sex.. if you want to be sure that's not him tell him to go test in another 3 months time.  It is also possible that he has it and has no outbreaks and just does not develop antibodies as that is possible as well.  The virus does not last long enough on a toilet seat for you to catch it and you would have to have an open cut and you would be more than likely to catch it on your buttocks than anywhere else

Thank you for your reply.  My reason for wondering is that if it had alid dormant for so long, why would it suddenly appear so viciously.  All the literature I read states that the first outbreak is the worse, yet my current outbreak is far more invasive and painful than the first one, with the first one I never took antivirals and just used colloidal silver spray, Tea Tree gel and it cleared up quickly.  This time I have sued Acyclovir and the outbreak is tender and not clearing as quickly.   I had experienced pain in the genitals over the last year, but no signs.  I am now wondering if it does get worse instead of better?

Is this possible? again thank you for your comments x

If you have had recurring outbreaks just recently then it probably is a recent infection and it could be that your partner just does not have enough antibodies to show in a test positive.  Blood tests can be unreliable 

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:53 AM, wookoo said:

Thank you for your reply.  My reason for wondering is that if it had alid dormant for so long, why would it suddenly appear so viciously.  All the literature I read states that the first outbreak is the worse, yet my current outbreak is far more invasive and painful than the first one, with the first one I never took antivirals and just used colloidal silver spray, Tea Tree gel and it cleared up quickly.  This time I have sued Acyclovir and the outbreak is tender and not clearing as quickly.   I had experienced pain in the genitals over the last year, but no signs.  I am now wondering if it does get worse instead of better?

Is this possible? again thank you for your comments x

My understanding is that if your immune system is highly suppressed from a serous illness, it may crop up again. My oncologist told me this once.