World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
clairemn

GHSV-1 Recurrence "on time" every year?

clairemn

Hi, posted originally in female genital HSV forum but figured this was a good place to post it as well.

I was diagnosed with GHSV-1 May 2015 (big surprise to me!). Anyways, my outbreaks only come one time per year almost on time. I was just telling my boyfriend a few days ago, "Oh no! It's April, that's my HSV month!" (At least I can now find some humor and peace with it, I suffered with severe depression a couple of years ago due to the diagnosis and "stigma" behind STDs/STIs).

So here are my outbreaks: 

1st outbreak EVER: May 2015

1st Recurrence: April 2016 

2nd Recurrence: (now) April 2017

My doc wrote me a prescription for this, so I haven't been in to ask him what his thoughts are on this, but has anyone else experienced yearly, "on time" outbreaks?! 

I don't have anything consistent in my life at this time of the year.. nothing that strikes my memory of why it would happen at the same time of the year. I did recently suffer a severe sunburn in Florida, which I was reading is a nerve trigger for HSV. Well, if anyone can type their input, I would love to hear it! 

Thanks! 

WilsoInAus

Very often there is something regular such as a regular Spring holiday when you stop working hard and try to relax but get sick or party hard or get sunburnt that is a sure sign you have disrupted your routine, maybe diet and stirring conditions for an outbreak.

Was the first outbreak a lot of sores and these recurrent outbreaks a single sore?

clairemn
17 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Very often there is something regular such as a regular Spring holiday when you stop working hard and try to relax but get sick or party hard or get sunburnt that is a sure sign you have disrupted your routine, maybe diet and stirring conditions for an outbreak.

Was the first outbreak a lot of sores and these recurrent outbreaks a single sore?

WilsolnAus, thanks for your input!

That's a good point. I didn't think about that. 

My first OB... lots of sores the first time, I didn't know that it was HSV at first so of course I did not get treated into weeks into the OB when I became so ill (I get intense flu-like symptoms/nausea, etc). Last year was just a sore or two, I caught it very soon and this OB (this week) was just red with an accumulation of very small sores in just one area! Overall, my symptoms have become less intense with each outbreak which has been nice.

WilsoInAus

All sounding a reasonably typical experience with herpes. How did you confirm type, was the swab typed? If it was by blood test, when did you have the blood test?

clairemn
19 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

All sounding a reasonably typical experience with herpes. How did you confirm type, was the swab typed? If it was by blood test, when did you have the blood test?

Yeah I had a swab back in 2015, and doc confirmed GHSV. That's all the doc told me but I looked back on my medical records and it was confirmed to be HSV-1. I had the swab within about 2 weeks after symptoms onset... still truly a mystery to me when I was actually infected before the outbreak occurred. I know it can remain dormant in your system for many years. The person I had been with around that time tested negative for HSV and I had not been with anyone else in years. 

WilsoInAus

There would be little doubt it was the partner in the week before your sores appeared from oral sex. With about 70% of people having HSV-1 there is little reason to suspect otherwise.

Not that it matters, but maybe he did not have explicit HSV testing or the wrong HSV test. There is also a chance the testing missed his HSV-1 infection as it can do, notably for those who have had the virus a long time.

Lisajd

I have hsv2.  2 years in and seem to get a spot every 6 months.  

clairemn
On 4/4/2017 at 4:54 PM, WilsoInAus said:

There would be little doubt it was the partner in the week before your sores appeared from oral sex. With about 70% of people having HSV-1 there is little reason to suspect otherwise.

Not that it matters, but maybe he did not have explicit HSV testing or the wrong HSV test. There is also a chance the testing missed his HSV-1 infection as it can do, notably for those who have had the virus a long time.

That's a good point. Thanks for the feedback and insight! I spent so much time being really confused and I didn't understand why he didn't have it supposedly but I did. He went in for a blood test about a week after I got diagnosed and it came back negative. I'm not so sure it was accurate but it was many years ago at this point so I suppose out of good test I should be happy for him if he is not living with it! 

Thank you for your helpful responses!

clairemn
On 4/4/2017 at 5:20 PM, Lisajd said:

I have hsv2.  2 years in and seem to get a spot every 6 months.  

Oh okay, that's interesting! I suppose our bodies may get on some sort of cycle, like WilsonInAus mentioned, maybe we have a change that happens every 6 mos - 1 year. None the less, thank you for your input and responding about your personal experience!