HSV EXPOSURE to positive female

Teller

Hi all ,

i am new to this forum and need advise on my anxiety over herpes. 

I received  unprotected oral from HSV positive female 9 weeks ago and had protected virginal sex. Just after the episode ( within 24 hours ) I got a urine pain and it persistent for almost 6 weeks . Rarely gone only for 1 or 2 days them come back. I tested HSV IGG and result was 0.248 ( negative) . My urologist did a biopsy in my bladder and found some abnormal lesions and waiting for the result at this moment. The girl did not have any symptoms at the time we had sex. She was surprised about her test result also. 

I got some worried symptoms like single blister in my foot which disappeared in 2 weeks without forming a sore or ulcer. Small red  folliculitis like thing in my thigh. Urine pain now almost gone but I am expecting it again soon . 

Can anyone suggest me what would be my situation ? Am I clear of HSV ? Do I need to retest   ? Depression and anxiety is killing me slowly.

Sorry to hear you have this misery and anxiety. This far your testing shows negative which is really good and your almost at 12 weeks that is recommended time to wait for igg blood testing. I would not be concerned about hsv-2 as you had protected intercourse so lesions would not be in your urethra. Its not easy to relax but odds are really good that this is not hsv related problem at all. If you do happen to get blisters in your genitals go swab asap, meanwhile follow your doctor and try to find true cause of problems before it becomes too bad. To me it does not sound like hsv at all anyway. 

Because this condition would be called herpetic urethritis. It would be highly unusual to have it without external lesions on your penile shaft or glans and its pretty rare form of herpes to begin with anyway. Now as you used condom for penetration you just simply cannot have HSV-2 manifest up this way. Only problem would be HSV-1 from unprotected oral but i don't know if you have ever gotten cold sores or did this person have them still highly unlikely without external lesions. There is lots of oral bacteria that can cause these symptoms and actually adenovirus is also something that causes these problems. Have you had simple urine test to show any inflamination in your urethra? First ob would be at site of your genitals not your leg etc... 

Hi @Teller you suggest this lady tested positive for HSV? What test did she have and what were the results? It makes quite a difference here if she has HSV-1 or HSV-2 or both??

hi Joe, yes I did urine and semen test and culture. Everything normal. I am waiting for biopsy result. That's the reason why I am confused. What u think about my 9 week IGG test result ? How confident should I be ? 

Hi wilson, she did a non-type specific test result 5.67 ( cutoff was 0.9 ) and she will be doing a type specific soon I guess.  

Firstly to her. This would be suggestive of at least an oral HSV-1 infection and probably only a HSV-1 infection on her part.

Your testing is pretty damn conclusive. If your urethra was swabbed and negative, that's a good sign. 90% of infections result in a positive test by week 9.

All signs hence are pointing to a non herpes cause.

A test at 12 weeks will give you conclusive comfort, you can be quite confident it will be negative.

Hi Wilson, I did not do any swab test. I did following tests. 

1. Urine/semen full report and culture - normal result 

2. Biopsy - urethra normal , suspected bladder lesions

3. HSV 1/2 IGG 9 weeks - 0.248 ( cutoff 1.1 ) 

Did whole lot of antibiotic courses. Today I don't feel any pain. But depr Saigon and anxiety getting the best out of me. I would retest in 11 weeks as I cannot wait any more with this anxiety . 11 weeks result is good enough ? Have u ever seen any case where bladder lesions or infections due to herpes like what I am experiencing ? 

Bladder lesions would be highly unusual. Lesions in the urethra alone are rare enough, but possible.

I would wait until the end of 12 weeks, otherwise I do not think this will satisfy your curiosity.

Your doctor must have an opinion as to what is going on here for you, what is that??

Doctors have no clue at this moment. Initially he thought of a bacterial infection but it's not that it seems. He told me he has to wait for the biopsy result to give me any further  medication. I was testing very frequently with different tests on HSV IGG as  I am depressed . I will wait out 12 weeks some how. 

4 Weeks : 9.7 RU/ml ( Negative) cut off 22 RU/ml

6 Weeks : 1.7 RU/ml ( Negative) cut of 22 RU/ml

8 Weeks : 1.2 RU/ml ( Negative) cut of 22 RU/ml

9 weeks : 0.248 ( negative) cutoff 1.1 

Those test results indicate a complete absence of antibodies (they look like the minimum value for the test which is a different control level every time).

Keep working with your doctor and work methodically through the possibilities. 

Sounds like a urologist might be a next step, discuss this with your doctor when he works through the biopsy result.

thank you Wilson . Really appreciate the support. 

Hope everything turn out well for me and get rid of this anxiety . I will update the thread later once I get the result . 

Hi .. just curious about some sores and blisters which were appeared. Would like to get your advise . 

3 weeks : Clear  Fluid filled lesion appeared on my left foot. Did not became a sore or ulcer . Not painfull

4 weeks : folliculitis like rash appeared on left thigh. Not painfull

4.5 weeks : 3 small sores appeared on right foot and 2 small blister on arm- not painfull

today 2 small blister like on my left foot. Not painful . I irritated and now 2 sores. 

If this signs of herpes ? I don't know what's going on within me . 

What part of your leg is it? It would not make sense recurrent blisters are unbliteral and stays same side. Still it is possible to be even at ankle but folliculitis is always much more reasonable explanation at this area. Iv had similar problems as you i dont know what it is and test negative so it is not worth to ruin your life over it. Trust your results.

• Like 2

Those are in both sides. Some near to my ankle . Some below the ankle. My enxiety is killing me and I have no clue what's going on within me seriously. 

Ok then they are clearly not hsv related at all for sure no matter what they look like. I really hope you find conclusion to get over it.

For a primary outbreak, this is usually a couple of weeks with sores emerging for days.

Even for a recurrent outbreak, the typical experience would be about 6-10 days. You are looking for phases of an emerging patch that tingles (say a day), bumpy and blistery bubbles(another day or two), weeping and ulcerating the skin (another day or two ), scabbing and healing (2-7 days).

Sorry to bother u .. my anxiety keep telling me to ask these questions . 

My first lesion on left foot watery filled but did not became a ulcer for weeping - 2 weeks . Scar is still there  

second after 4.5 weeks 3 sores ( just laughed to each other ) in right foot

Single blister in right upper arm

again 2 blisters on my left arm 6 weeks 

all were healed within 5-7 days 

many thought ? 

I tried to read through the forums and found out that if you are facing outbreak or symptoms, blood result will not be accurate . It is correct ? 

Seroconversion from the time of infection is not influenced by symptoms. 50% test positive by 4 weeks and then 10% for the 4 weeks after that and the final 10% in weeks from weeks 9-16.

Hi Austin ,

just now I read that herpese sores/ lesions follow the nerve path and can appear in straight line. 

The 3 sores I described above in my right foot was clearly in straight line. Have u heard of this before ?