World's Largest Herpes Support Group
vive

nonstop outbreaks, any suggestions?

vive

I was diagnosed with hsv2 june 2016. Was having one outbreak a month until February 2017. Since then the outbreaks have been back to back. I'm taking 1 mg valtrex a day, lyseine, vitamins B,C,E, zinc, selenium, iron..I am also taking immune boosting herbs- olive, mushroom, garlic, elder..and Chinese herbs sarcandre and jia wei xiao yao sun.. my diet is high in lyseine and low in arganine. I do daily yoga, get acupuncture  every 2 weeks..no alchohol, caffeine.. yet I get continuous outbreaks on my labia, perenium, buttcrack, and inner thighs. Also i deal with intense  itching and nerve pain that comes and goes. This whole thing had made me really depressed and is taking a toll on many aspects of my life, esp my relationship. I'm so frustrated and I haven't felt very happy about the future.  Any ideas?

LillianPanos

Hi... @vive   I was diag tadiagnosed april 2016, I too was everything under the sun the first few months. I then stopped almost everything except the valtrex. Try to eat healthy exercise daily... pray and not stress. Maybe try giving up all those herbs and vitamins. Doesn't seem to be helping you. I have about 1 very mild obs less than one a month. Tho I do most times feel something down there but think its nerves down there as when I investigate nothing there. ..

Malcolm

I'm also in the same boat. It has really impacted my qualify of life such that I'm a slave to the constant pain and discomfort. It has been physically and psychologically crippling. Worse is the fact that we are faced with a potential lifelong disability. If this were temporary, even over the span of 10 or 20 years, it would be manageable.

Unless you find acupuncture leisurely and satisfying, skip it. There is no known mechanism or evidence for acupuncture to have any therapeutic affect on the body (other then the relaxation of laying on a bench). The industry of acupuncture survives on the romanticism of non-western medicine. Even the Chinese themselves tried to eradicate the practice.

Edited by Malcolm

thatsmycat

@vive get a blood test for thyroid and adrenals. I have same situation- I was really suicidal which made the outbreaks worse- I got tested and they were low so I started taking herbal thyroid suppliments. Additionally I began to think more positively and take st johns wort .

It has helped a lot. 

Also, do you eat nuts, seeds or wheat? Stop if you do. 

Sanguine108

aw hun, that's shitty.   Personally, I'm a big fan of Chinese medicine. If it weren't for a $25 session of acupuncture, I would've spent ~$1400 for a procedure.  Shit is powerful and is the real deal. So I'm sold on it.   ...But not all practitioners are the same and I wouldn't get herbs from a regular acupuncturist.  That practitioner better be an herbalist, making custom formulas with their own herb dispensary with at least a month-long wait to get an appt with.   

They say treatment is part of diagnosis.  If something doesn't work or provide relief then the treatment principles may need to be changed.  Looking at the herbs you've tried, I've noticed that none of them are restoratives (including the herbs in Jia Wei Xiao Yao San).   ...Dang Gui (in JWXYS) is likened to be female ginseng and have restorative effects but it's more of a blood-uterine tonic.  

...So herpes is in the nerves and the immune system is trying to push it back as far and deep as it can, like to the sacral nerve.  If nerves were wires and HSV/outbreaks frayed them, creating weakened hotspots along the way then those hotspots need to be healed so the things can be suppressed without an outbreak....    I've tried a bunch of different herbs and the immune tonics like garlic, elderberry, mushroom-ginseng combo would be short-lived relief.   I also kept having these ulcerative lesions that, when I thought they healed completely, would pop up again.  With all the research I was coming to try a quality, liquid/capsule extract of St. John's Wort.   Shit was amazing. I remember going to bed that night and literally having this feeling that there was white tissue around my body and this yellow stringy webbing was getting more yellow and thicker.  ...like the white was the fascia and the yellow the nerves.   Woke up the next day and no ulcers.   So I take it that the nerves were frayed and SJW helped mend/strengthen them.  Oh, did I mention SJW is a nervine that regenerates nerves.  It also has an indirect effect of boosting the immune system.   SJW is also known as a blood cleanser as it detoxifies the body/blood.  Drugs are eliminated faster so 

SJW may not work for everyone and definitely check the cautions and contraindications  for it.   Another substance is colostrum; Bovine or Goat colostrum.   I've used goat colostrum and had some really good results.  Some people say they like bovine colostrum more.   Colostrum is the mother's first milk and is loaded with growth factors and immune supporting building blocks.   People get all hype about boosting the immune system but if we can't repair the frayed structure then the function will be frayed.   SJW and colostrum are both restorative substances and, as frustrated as you may be right now, this a class of substances/herbs you haven't tried yet (at least according to what you wrote in your post).

...I have oral and genital HSV1.  The ulcerations were on my face, along a line, leading to my lips.   Below, symptoms are better but I had this lingering itchy butt hole and tingle-itch on my shaft.  I lived with that for 9 months until I decided to give colostrum a try.  Haven't taken it in a while but I took half the dose to start with, 2x/day.  Then I took whatever the bottle said for a week.   It significantly improved my situation below.  The most I have is the on-off lingering tail bone tingle.  I stopped after a week to see if the results would stick and they did.   So then I'd take it as needed or cycle between SJW and colostrum.   

anyhow, hope this helps and that you get some relief.  Herpes sucks.

There's also SJW vaginal suppository. http://www.cydonia.ba/product/st-johns-wort-oil-vaginal-suppositories/  if ya wanna read more about that.   sorry, there's a lot to say and I just want to finish typing.  If you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask.

vive

its hsv2..Thanks for the insightful replies, everyone! I am seeing my acupuncturist/chinese medicine doctor tomorrow who wants to change the course of herbal formulas I've been on..I didn't write down all the Chinese herbs I've been taking as I didn't have them with me at the time I posted my previous enquiry. The acupuncture visits are definitely expensive, but I do enter a very deep state of relaxation that sticks with me. I'm waiting to get my lab results back, to see if I have a thyroid situation/or anything else that could be causing my vulnerability to constant outbreaks...then my plan is to review the lab results with my naturopathic doc. I'm interested in checking out St Johns Wort. It might help me with this intense depression I've had since my first outbreak as well as the nerve pain and outbreaks themselves! The suppository looks interesting.

Bystander

You might wanna stop taking supplements other than vitamin C. And then take one 500 mg of vitamin C tablet in the morning and late afternoon (what i have been doing for years). Maybe ask your doctor to increase your Valtrex dosage and see if that helps.  

Since it has not been that long since you acquired the herpes virus, if you are willing, try participating in the clinical studies being done by RVX of Dr. Halford or by admedus. These vaccines might work on your better than those who have had the virus for a while.

When you had  your very first outbreak, did you not go to your doctor within 48 hrs? As far as I know (do not quote me on this), you can take some sort of concoction of valtrex and famvir at a higher dosage that you have to take for a month, which will reduced your lifetime outbreak by 50%. Have you heard of that before? 

Edited by Bystander

IcantThinkofaName

Have you checked your vitamin d3 levels? if low, sunshine or supplement.

I like the thyroid and adrenal angle someone mentioned too. 

I am thinking maybe you have an overall immune system issue. Or liver issue? Parasites that would compromise the liver and immune system?Other concurrent viruses- EBV or HPV?

DO you have any other illnesses that you know of? 

St Johns wort extract seems to be helpful for me too.

I wish the best for you. PLease update and  let us know.

cwv

Two things.  I took tons of lysine with no help and then found out it works only on HV1.  And, I too had nonstop outbreaks, and up to four at a time, for several years.  I finally was able to get a shingles vaccine and immediately  IMMEDIATELY...the outbreaks stopped....I got one about three weeks later during a time of extreme stress....but have been taking one Valtrex a day and it's been about maybe six months and I haven't had more than maybe four very small outbreaks since...and usually when I forgot to take the Valtrex for a day or was super stressed.  You really should look into it.  With how often you break out your doctor should be able to get the vaccine covered by insurance.  I mean it, I was going crazy and trying everything...also Chinese formulas, as well, for years....check it out. n Here's the research I found about the studies where they found this out, in France.  I'm 59 and was infected with HV2 when I was 19. 

herp study 1.png

herp study 2.png

herp study three.png

overwhelmed_17
13 hours ago, cwv said:

Two things.  I took tons of lysine with no help and then found out it works only on HV1.  And, I too had nonstop outbreaks, and up to four at a time, for several years.  I finally was able to get a shingles vaccine and immediately  IMMEDIATELY...the outbreaks stopped....I got one about three weeks later during a time of extreme stress....but have been taking one Valtrex a day and it's been about maybe six months and I haven't had more than maybe four very small outbreaks since...and usually when I forgot to take the Valtrex for a day or was super stressed.  You really should look into it.  With how often you break out your doctor should be able to get the vaccine covered by insurance.  I mean it, I was going crazy and trying everything...also Chinese formulas, as well, for years....check it out. n Here's the research I found about the studies where they found this out, in France.  I'm 59 and was infected with HV2 when I was 19. 

herp study 1.png

herp study 2.png

herp study three.png

I'm in the U.S so idk if we have this option over here. Well I know we don't cus the doctors just tell us one they won't test you for herpes unless you experience an outbreak. Two they just tell you to eat right and exercise. And just pay attention to your symptoms. They really are no help as they make it seem like it's nothing and get annoyed.  That's my experience here. So I'm glad you have relief though. 

cwv
9 hours ago, overwhelmed_17 said:

I'm in the U.S so idk if we have this option over here. Well I know we don't cus the doctors just tell us one they won't test you for herpes unless you experience an outbreak. Two they just tell you to eat right and exercise. And just pay attention to your symptoms. They really are no help as they make it seem like it's nothing and get annoyed.  That's my experience here. So I'm glad you have relief though.

Thank you.  I'm in the US, too.  I would guess it matters more your individual doctor's attitude rather than country.  Can you get a new doctor, ask for a second opinion?  I really had to push....send them the information and just really insist based on how much it was disrupting my life.  The option is available here.  Push for it.  I mean, if there aren't other health reasons that you should not have the vaccine, and there are some who shouldn't.  Here's a link to the Mayo clinic website, where it discusses who should not get the vaccine.  I wish you the best of luck.  If your doc doesn't understand, maybe try to find someone who does.   http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shingles/expert-answers/shingles-vaccine/faq-20057859

overwhelmed_17
On 9/14/2017 at 10:42 PM, cwv said:

Thank you.  I'm in the US, too.  I would guess it matters more your individual doctor's attitude rather than country.  Can you get a new doctor, ask for a second opinion?  I really had to push....send them the information and just really insist based on how much it was disrupting my life.  The option is available here.  Push for it.  I mean, if there aren't other health reasons that you should not have the vaccine, and there are some who shouldn't.  Here's a link to the Mayo clinic website, where it discusses who should not get the vaccine.  I wish you the best of luck.  If your doc doesn't understand, maybe try to find someone who does.   http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shingles/expert-answers/shingles-vaccine/faq-20057859

I actually do have a different doctor set for my primary insurance but because I know this clinic so well I continue to go to them. I checked the link out. I'm young I have 34 years before I'm 60 years old. Thanks I thought about trying my actual primary care. Idk I'll think about either informing my current doctor and seeing if their attitude changes or just going to somewhere else. But I'm also looking into supplements and eating better due to these recurring out real of itching I'm having. It's really bad.