World's Largest Herpes Support Group
SupermansJustice

CDC comments on Genital Herpes/Sexual Behavior

SupermansJustice

I would like feedback from this forum.  

https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/screening.htm

Please take a look at comments from the CDC regarding herpes screening and transmission

Genital herpes is a common sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Most people who have HSV-1 or HSV-2 don’t have symptoms.

There are a lot of questions about herpes tests, and this page will help you understand CDC’s herpes testing recommendations.

Genital herpes is common. Why doesn’t CDC recommend testing everyone for this STD?

CDC does not recommend herpes testing for people without symptoms. This is because diagnosing genital herpes in someone without symptoms has not shown any change in their sexual behavior (e.g., wearing a condom or not having sex) nor has it stopped the virus from spreading. Also, false positive test results (test results that say you have herpes when you do not actually have the virus) are possible. Even if you do not have symptoms, you should talk openly and honestly about your sexual history with your doctor to find out if you should be tested for any STDs, including herpes.

Although CDC does not recommend that everyone get tested for herpes, herpes testing may be useful in some situations. Herpes blood tests (also called type-specific HSV serologic tests) might be useful

• If you have genital symptoms that could be related to herpes,
  • If you have (or have had) a sex partner with genital herpes, or
  • If you want a complete STD exam, especially if you have multiple sex partners.

Please note that while a herpes blood test can help determine if you have herpes infection, it will not be able to tell you who gave you the infection.

Wouldn’t testing everyone stop the spread of genital herpes?

We don’t know. There is no evidence that diagnosing genital herpes with a blood test in someone without symptoms would change their sexual behavior and stop the virus from spreading. In addition, without knowing the benefits of testing, the risk of shaming and stigmatizing people outweighs the potential benefits. For these reasons, testing everyone for herpes is not recommended at this time.

Are people with genital herpes at increased risk of getting infected with HIV?

Yes, studies show that HSV-2 infection increases the risk of getting HIV infection, even when there are no symptoms of genital herpes. HSV-2 infection can cause tiny breaks in the genital and anal area that allow HIV to enter into the body. Herpes infection also attracts the type of cells that HIV infects (“target cells”) to the genital area. This increases the chance of getting HIV, if exposed.

Can testing and treating genital herpes decrease the risk for HIV infection?

No. Studies show that testing for genital herpes and treating with herpes medications does not lower the risk of getting HIV.

Why have false positive tests been used as an argument against routine testing for genital herpes, but not for other STDs, which can also have false positives?

False positive test results are test results that say a person has a disease or condition when they do not actually have it. False positive results can occur with many diagnostic tests, including STD tests. The chances of false positive results increase as the likelihood of the infection decreases in the person being tested. False positive HSV-2 results can happen, especially in people who are at low risk for a herpes infection. Also, we do not know if people who test positive for herpes will change their sexual behavior as a result of a positive test. This tells us that the harm of a possible false positive test may be a greater concern than the benefits of an actual diagnosis. Unlike curable STDs, such as chlamydia, herpes infections are life-long, so it is especially important to avoid a false positive test.

How does it make all of you feel that the CDC says it wouldn't change sexual behavior for people to know they have the disease? How about the fact that the CDC acknowledges how bad the stigma is so they think it is BETTER not to routinely test people? Has having herpes changed YOUR sexual behavior? Have some of you decided NOT to have sex?  This is what we are dealing with, and the more we sit on HC and don't band together to fight for change, the worse off we will be.  I am shocked at reading this.  

We are letting the CDC speak for OUR experiences and I find them to be wholly inaccurate.  There would not be 60,000 people on this forum if having herpes did NOT change the way people viewed sexual behavior! 

If this makes you angry...frustrated...post about your thoughts.  

@OhFuckMyDickHurts

@GlitterDx

@Rational Vaxxer

@dont quit!17

@elnino

@Sean123

@crisper

@LiveLife100

@Whyyyyy

@SnowAngel

@West end gal

@Lauren401

You may say...so why does this all matter?  Well the CDC is short for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  How do you CONTROL and PREVENT spread when you won't even test people? The stigma is SO bad you won't test people?!

We will be posting a very lengthy letter addressing these comments and to the entire twitter community.  We cannot stand for this.  We are DONE letting the CDC and other institutions speak for how WE FEEL.  We are done letting them spread misinformation.  

Justice is coming.  Will you fight with us?

If this gets you amped up..join many of us on twitter.com

https://twitter.com/Thehopeisnear

https://twitter.com/LED401

Edited by SupermansJustice

Owningit

Wow well this is the most ridiculous crap I've ever read. Don't get tested because people disregard it anyways? So just ignore it all together, right? Thinking like this is probably why it's not in routine std blood work. Such a shame

Imaginaryexit
33 minutes ago, SupermansJustice said:

Please take a look at comments from the CDC regarding herpes screening and transmission

Genital herpes is a common sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Most people who have HSV-1 or HSV-2 don’t have symptoms.

There are a lot of questions about herpes tests, and this page will help you understand CDC’s herpes testing recommendations.

Genital herpes is common. Why doesn’t CDC recommend testing everyone for this STD?

CDC does not recommend herpes testing for people without symptoms. This is because diagnosing genital herpes in someone without symptoms has not shown any change in their sexual behavior (e.g., wearing a condom or not having sex) nor has it stopped the virus from spreading. Also, false positive test results (test results that say you have herpes when you do not actually have the virus) are possible. Even if you do not have symptoms, you should talk openly and honestly about your sexual history with your doctor to find out if you should be tested for any STDs, including herpes.

Although CDC does not recommend that everyone get tested for herpes, herpes testing may be useful in some situations. Herpes blood tests (also called type-specific HSV serologic tests) might be useful

• If you want a complete STD exam, especially if you have multiple sex partners.

Please note that while a herpes blood test can help determine if you have herpes infection, it will not be able to tell you who gave you the infection.

We don’t know. There is no evidence that diagnosing genital herpes with a blood test in someone without symptoms would change their sexual behavior and stop the virus from spreading. In addition, without knowing the benefits of testing, the risk of shaming and stigmatizing people outweighs the potential benefits. For these reasons, testing everyone for herpes is not recommended at this time.

Yes, studies show that HSV-2 infection increases the risk of getting HIV infection, even when there are no symptoms of genital herpes. HSV-2 infection can cause tiny breaks in the genital and anal area that allow HIV to enter into the body. Herpes infection also attracts the type of cells that HIV infects (“target cells”) to the genital area. This increases the chance of getting HIV, if exposed.

No. Studies show that testing for genital herpes and treating with herpes medications does not lower the risk of getting HIV.

Why have false positive tests been used as an argument against routine testing for genital herpes, but not for other STDs, which can also have false positives?

False positive test results are test results that say a person has a disease or condition when they do not actually have it. False positive results can occur with many diagnostic tests, including STD tests. The chances of false positive results increase as the likelihood of the infection decreases in the person being tested. False positive HSV-2 results can happen, especially in people who are at low risk for a herpes infection. Also, we do not know if people who test positive for herpes will change their sexual behavior as a result of a positive test. This tells us that the harm of a possible false positive test may be a greater concern than the benefits of an actual diagnosis. Unlike curable STDs, such as chlamydia, herpes infections are life-long, so it is especially important to avoid a false positive test.

How does it make all of you feel that the CDC says it wouldn't change sexual behavior for people to know they have the disease? How about the fact that the CDC acknowledges how bad the stigma is so they think it is BETTER not to routinely test people? Has having herpes changed YOUR sexual behavior? Have some of you decided NOT to have sex?  This is what we are dealing with, and the more we sit on HC and don't band together to fight for change, the worse off we will be.  I am shocked at reading this.  

We are letting the CDC speak for OUR experiences and I find them to be wholly inaccurate.  There would not be 60,000 people on this forum if having herpes did NOT change the way people viewed sexual behavior! 

@OhFuckMyDickHurts

@GlitterDx

@Rational Vaxxer

@dont quit!17

@elnino

@Sean123

@crisper

@LiveLife100

@Whyyyyy

@SnowAngel

@West end gal

@Lauren401

We will be posting a very lengthy letter addressing these comments and to the entire twitter community.  We cannot stand for this.  We are DONE letting the CDC and other institutions speak for how WE FEEL.  We are done letting them spread misinformation.  

I agree with you.  I am newer to all this but have come across all this in my vigerous research of what the hell is happening to me. 

Owningit
1 minute ago, SupermansJustice said:

It's totally ridiculous.  So the end result is a bunch of people walking around with the disease...giving it to other people who then have an outbreak and then finally get tested (and then of course have to deal with the substandard treatments and the massive stigma).  Thanks CDC! You've really done a great job as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  How ironic!

I'm in honest disbelief that this is actually a statement they made. That is exactly how majority of people get infected! From ignorant people, and I mean that in the most polite way possible. I mean it's how I was infected, I imagine you similar.  When there is no awareness to topics like this what do you expect is going to happen? People aren't going to go out just to seek if they do or don't have herpes unless they really care about their own health or the health of others. Imagine if std checks were mandatory. How different everything would be. Apparently we're far as hell from that by the looks of what the brilliant CDC has to say. Who funds these losers anyways. They need to crawl under a rock

Owningit
2 minutes ago, SupermansJustice said:

I can't imagine the rest of the world knows about this.  I was just talking to someone on twitter today and they were 100% sure that herpes is a part of routine STD panels.  People are misinformed (it's not their fault either).  Look at what the CDC says!

Nope not at all! Definitely don't get checked for it when you go to get tested unless you ask for it. I always expressed to my Gynocologist that I wanted to be tested for everything so she would but otherwise you're beat. It's very disheartening the amount of information that is just swept under the rug. It's kind of like how parents raise kids nowadays. They never get told how to do anything unless they ask. It shouldn't be like that. STDs will never dim down at this rate

Lisajd

Mostly this is relevant to pple who have no symptoms.  Im sure that people with symptoms dx by swab would change their sexual behaviour.  There is logic because of the potential for false positives but their bs about not changing sexual behaviour is very wrong. 

WilsoInAus

The worlds annual per capita income is $3,000. 

A herpes IgG test costs $30-40! ABVIC is more.

Can we afford to have a test each time we have sex?

Atrapasueños

Con los asintomáticos no pasa nada pero si eres sintomático tienes que revelar a tu socio que mierda

With the asymptomatic nothing happens but if you are symptomatic you have to reveal to your partner that shit

WilsoInAus

I understand 'routine'; it provides no information for people you come into contact with in a non sexual way, so it doesn't help much for those people if you don't test each time you have sex. Oh and you have to wait 12-16 weeks between each time you have sex.

Further, it would be disengenous not to also include testing for HPV, HHV6, HHV8, CMV, EBV for example. I think these need to be added to your letter. These cause more suffering than herpes.

Edited by WilsoInAus

WilsoInAus
21 minutes ago, SupermansJustice said:

I think you need to re-read your post and read a lot more about these other viruses, what routine testing is, and how viruses are treated and transmitted.  

I have, that is why I have raised the points. If you do not address them, how do you expect the CDC to take you seriously?

WilsoInAus

I don't, why wouldn't they ask the questions though, they're all viruses and all sexually and non sexually transmitted and they generally cause more serious issues than herpes does. 

CDC will respond with 'why wouldn't we test for these viruses in order of seriousness? What will people do with the information? How much should people pay for a panel? If people can only afford $x, which tests should be performed in what order?''

These are the real issues the CDC needs to address, this isn't fantasy land.

wildman

The CDC's logic is internally inconsistent.  Testing for HIV is part of standard screening, and it has been for a long time, even before there was any treatment that helped people much. Like HSV, it is incurable and stigmatized. HPV (pap test) is part of recommended screening for women, despite not having a "cure" or treatment that reduces the risk of spreading disease. 

The logic the CDC should be using is that HSV testing is too expensive to be worthwhile, becasue the health benefit of testing would not be enough to offset the cost. The problem is that they aren't saying that, because it likely isn't true.

The truth is that bureaucracy is hard to change - They haven't been testing for it, and 15-20% of the population would suddenly freak out if they did start testing everyone . . . really 60-80% of the population, becasue people with HSV1 wouldn't be able to tell WHERE they had it for sure if they didn't remember getting cold sores . . . . and they don't want to make people freak out . . . until they have something to offer people as a vaccine or a cure . . . absent a cure or vaccine, they would like to have everyone ignore it, even if it spreads disease . . .

It's just bad CDC policy, but it's been that way since back when the tests were unreliable, and they have just kept it that way, even though tests are reliable now - it's simply bureaucratic nonsense . . .

Same thing when people say condoms are only 50% effective at reducing transmission - that's a false, outdated statistic . . . but who is in charge of updating it? Probably someone who doesn't want to admit that they were wrong . . . so they just keep saying the same thing, even though they know it is wrong . . . (all the best studies (by Anna Wald et al) show condoms are 95% effective at preventing male-to-female transmission, and at least over 60% female-to-male).

People play politics . . . Especially when it comes to "policy" or guidelines . . .

Imaginaryexit
8 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

I understand 'routine'; it provides no information for people you come into contact with in a non sexual way, so it doesn't help much for those people if you don't test each time you have sex. Oh and you have to wait 12-16 weeks between each time you have sex.

Further, it would be disengenous not to also include testing for HPV, HHV6, HHV8, CMV, EBV for example. I think these need to be added to your letter. These cause more suffering than herpes.

I agree with you 100%.  All these viruses are so common they downplay them all.  They put very little effort in curing them all.  I think the herpe class of viruses are the results to most of our health problems in society.  

Lauren401
8 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

@WilsoInAus I'm always tested for HPV when I have a pap test - if the cells of the cervix come back abnormal then there is a follow up. There is not testing available for men at this point in time. HPV has many strains and your body can catch them and get rid of them, it's not hiding in your body the way HSV does. I've heard from many many women who have HPV and then they test later on and it's gone - your body can fight it off. High risk strains are a difference story which is why cells are checked in the cervix. A vaccine is also available for it - while it doesn't catch all the strains, it does help catch some high risk ones. Just an FYI. 

WilsoInAus
7 hours ago, Lauren401 said:

@WilsoInAus I'm always tested for HPV when I have a pap test - if the cells of the cervix come back abnormal then there is a follow up. There is not testing available for men at this point in time. HPV has many strains and your body can catch them and get rid of them, it's not hiding in your body the way HSV does. I've heard from many many women who have HPV and then they test later on and it's gone - your body can fight it off. High risk strains are a difference story which is why cells are checked in the cervix. A vaccine is also available for it - while it doesn't catch all the strains, it does help catch some high risk ones. Just an FYI. 

Yes I know, well said. However this is not the experience for all women some of which will end up with cervical cancer, very serious business. 

Thats unfortunately the economic rationality. Is it better to invest in testing for HPV in men and better vaccines? Or invest in herpes testing? 

I'm not sure of the answer, many aren't. What it thus means is that persuasive arguments  are required and have a chance of success.

WilsoInAus
48 minutes ago, SupermansJustice said:

There are extremely effective HPV vaccines.  The issue is that there is poor education regarding making sure individuals are vaccinated at an early age.  Cervical cancer has been halved by the HPV vaccine.  

Halved? Well that's a relief.

But only 40% of girls in the US are vaccinated. The accentuates my point. Why wouldn't the CDC throw its weight behind getting that number to 100% before worrying about herpes?

More than 40% of Americans cannot afford to see a doctor. Of the 60% that do, only 1/3 can afford routine STD testing. So at present, only 20% of the population can afford routine STD testing. This has to be addressed.

For 100% of the population to receive STD testing, lab resources would need to increase at least 3-5 times, how will this happen?

Given the expense, would it not be better to promote a vaccine and integrate it with HPV vaccinations?

Edited by WilsoInAus

Dorito3

This is disappointing... I think it would greatly bring about awareness and reduce stigma if they did do some annual screening of some sort. I want to petition this!! 

Lauren401
13 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Why wouldn't the CDC throw its weight behind getting that number to 100% before worrying about herpes?

Why can't it worry about both? It doesn't have to be one or the other. We aren't saying that HSV is the only virus they should be focusing on - they just should have some focus on it because they clearly don't at the moment. They've basically just told us to sit back and shut up because if they were to routine test it would hurt peoples feelings. What about our feelings?! The ones who know! Why should my feelings be less of a care over a person who just doesn't know because they haven't shown symptoms... yet. @WilsoInAus

Lauren401

Another point I would like to make - 

The average person has approximately 6-7 partners in their lifetime. The CDC doesn't want to test because it would cause psychological harm to the person with the positive diagnosis. The CDC is causing MORE psychological harm by not testing as that one person now has the potential to infect 5-6 other people!

Micah

CDC basically decided people won't take precautions so why tell them. Great. That's cool, thanks cdc, doing a killer job.

Mel1985reese
On 6/5/2017 at 8:19 PM, SupermansJustice said:

@OhFuckMyDickHurts

@GlitterDx

@Rational Vaxxer

@dont quit!17

@elnino

@Sean123

@crisper

@LiveLife100

@Whyyyyy

@SnowAngel

@West end gal

@Lauren401

You may say...so why does this all matter?  Well the CDC is short for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  How do you CONTROL and PREVENT spread when you won't even test people? The stigma is SO bad you won't test people?!

I've read multiple times on this site and I know people personally who have ghsv2 who do not disclose, who still have new sex partners, unprotected sex and risk exposing others bc they think you can pass it only if you have an OB

People obviously don't care

Nightmare7575

I was told the same thing by my Doc who works in a clinic where I know they see STD's all the time ,so this is just not the CDC ,I decided to go have the test myself since I am asymptomatic .There are more then 63,000 people who visited this site so who really knows how many more are out there and have no clue.  If you have no symptoms and the Doc says don't get tested how many really want to take the chance of finding out they are positive  and just go on with their lives.