World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Snjt

How to break the news

Snjt

I recently met a guy.. we have an excellent connection. Great communication.. good vibes.. physical and sexual attraction. It hasn't been long since we've been dating but I'm anxious about how I'm supposed to break the news. I honestly feel like I want to run away and I'll never be happy again because of this virus. I dont know how I'll ever feel comfortable enough to have sex again when I continue to have recurring outbreaks. I've tried every holistic remedy and I also take my anti viral 2x a day as prescribed. It eases and then it's back with full force. It's been over a year already. I stayed single.. haven't been sexually active. But now with the summer blossoming I want romance and new possibilities. I'm afraid though. Afriad of rejection, afriad of getting too close to him then having to leave it all behind because I have herpes. Herpes that just won't go dormant and is alive and active. I don't know what to do. I'm writing this because no one know I have herpes but this forum, and anonymously you don't know who I am either. I can't go to a friend or family. I'm alone by myself with this. How do I live a normal life and date and fall in love with a man if my vagina isn't safe? I don't know what to do. I feel like running away from him but then I don't because I doubt I'll find someone else like him. Honeycomb, I need some advise. How do I break the news? When is the right time? How do I have sex again when every other week I'm experiencing an outbreak? Its like nothing is working and ive tried EVERYTHING! Coconut Oil, Apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, neem oil, neem supplements. I take my anti virals and nothing gives. My doctor checked me for any other STDs and STIs and I was in the clear with everything except HSV. I'm in a rut and could really use some insight.. please be gentle. 

hello96

Hey,  I'm not sure whether this response is too late but I hope you're doing okay! I'm not sure whether you've tried olive leaf - but its a natural anti-viral which seems to work for me, as well as vit C and lysine.

I I've been struggling with the emotional side of it too, and I agree that it takes a massive toll on ones confidence and sense of self. I was diagnosed around 8 months ago and I've had one sexual encounter since then -where the guy actually didn't mind and was willing, even though I expressed he should have time to think about it. I was surprised, so it kinda just goes to show how understanding people can be and if there's a genuine connection there then it shouldn't be a deal breaker. However, it is important to prepare yourself for both outcomes.

Continue to remind yourself that your outbreaks will decrease in severity and it's not always going to be this hard!! I'm currently in the same situation as you - I've just started dating this guy and I'm not sure when to disclose it to him or what his reaction will be, so I'm in a very similar position to you!

I also really really really encourage seeking the support of friends and family, it has definitely made a massive difference with the way I have internalised it. I also see a therapist who has helped me accept my diagnosis and form a new perspective on it. She also told me that one of her clients also has herpes, and a few months later she had fallen in love with a man who loved her for who she was. There are plenty of success stories out there! Don't give up hope. Feel free to message me if you like :) 

Yoyo12345

First couple times you disclose it will be uncomfortable im not going to lie. But its about how you present it i believe. I always tell a possible sexual partner basically right away and tell them like its not a big deal (cuz its not). Never been rejected. If they have questions answer them. Even when i was on tinder or other hookup sites my headline was "hey i have herpes" and still got plenty of partners interested in me. I felt like my sex life was over when i first got it too. Its normal. Keep talking to people youre not alone. The older you het the more common herpes are. One of my partners was 36 and he said more than half the peole his age he met in the dating scene had ot. Youre life is just as normal it ever was. 

Lurker_No_More
On 19/06/2017 at 6:19 PM, Vickolo1 said:

First couple times you disclose it will be uncomfortable im not going to lie. But its about how you present it i believe. I always tell a possible sexual partner basically right away and tell them like its not a big deal (cuz its not). Never been rejected. If they have questions answer them. Even when i was on tinder or other hookup sites my headline was "hey i have herpes" and still got plenty of partners interested in me. I felt like my sex life was over when i first got it too. Its normal. Keep talking to people youre not alone. The older you het the more common herpes are. One of my partners was 36 and he said more than half the peole his age he met in the dating scene had ot. Youre life is just as normal it ever was. 

Chapeau for your bravery. 

Disc0rdant
On 6/7/2017 at 7:20 PM, Snjt said:

I recently met a guy.. we have an excellent connection. Great communication.. good vibes.. physical and sexual attraction. It hasn't been long since we've been dating but I'm anxious about how I'm supposed to break the news. I honestly feel like I want to run away and I'll never be happy again because of this virus. I dont know how I'll ever feel comfortable enough to have sex again when I continue to have recurring outbreaks. I've tried every holistic remedy and I also take my anti viral 2x a day as prescribed. It eases and then it's back with full force. It's been over a year already. I stayed single.. haven't been sexually active. But now with the summer blossoming I want romance and new possibilities. I'm afraid though. Afriad of rejection, afriad of getting too close to him then having to leave it all behind because I have herpes. Herpes that just won't go dormant and is alive and active. I don't know what to do. I'm writing this because no one know I have herpes but this forum, and anonymously you don't know who I am either. I can't go to a friend or family. I'm alone by myself with this. How do I live a normal life and date and fall in love with a man if my vagina isn't safe? I don't know what to do. I feel like running away from him but then I don't because I doubt I'll find someone else like him. Honeycomb, I need some advise. How do I break the news? When is the right time? How do I have sex again when every other week I'm experiencing an outbreak? Its like nothing is working and ive tried EVERYTHING! Coconut Oil, Apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, neem oil, neem supplements. I take my anti virals and nothing gives. My doctor checked me for any other STDs and STIs and I was in the clear with everything except HSV. I'm in a rut and could really use some insight.. please be gentle. 

I would disclose before 45 days.  In this day and age, many look to have sex by date 3.  I guess it depends on your situation

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Nikki22
      By Nikki22
      So I’m not sure I never really looked at my test results because I was scared... I’ve been told it could be a uti or something but I only get them when I’m stressed. I just... does any one else find dating hard?!? It’s like the guys I do tell instantly friend zone me or never talk to me ever again. I don’t what to do and was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience..? 
    • tadasana
      By tadasana
      I got the wonderful virus on my genitals from a guy I dated 5 years. I definitely stayed in the relationship too long because of being scared to have to disclose to someone. I finally broke up with him in 2016.
      I finally got up the nerve to start dating again about six months ago. In late November I met a guy who I had a lot in common with, got along with, was attracted to, etc, and I could tell he felt the same way about me. (We are both divorced and in our 40s.)
      So over the course of a month, we got closer and had wonderful times. I could tell he was falling for me and I was for him. On the Saturday before Christmas we spent the whole day together and went to dinner that night then back to my house to exchange gifts. He had bought me a really pretty necklace for Christmas (not too extravagant but sweet and I had picked out a special book as a gift to him.) We had not had sex yet but I knew it would be coming soon so I needed to disclose. He ended up telling me he loved me that night and I told him the same. Then came the disclosure.
      He just looked kinda stunned then sat with me without really saying much for about 30 minutes. He then gave me a brief hug and said he had to go. He left the book I gave him at my house and as he left, I tried to give him the necklace back because I could tell that everything had changed. He asked me to please keep it. It was the end of the night so it wasn’t completely weird and I figured he was shocked and needed time to process so, while I was very upset, I knew that this was always a possibility.
      I will admit that I did a terrible job at the actual disclosure. It was my first time and even though I had practiced saying it aloud many times, I know that sounded ashamed and embarrassed.
      We texted a little bit the next day, mostly with me explaining more about my situation. I explained that in my personal experience, it had not been very disruptive for me. I have only had three outbreaks in six years. I also explained that if someone was with a partner who had it, the partner could take medicine to reduce the other person from getting it. I sent him some links.
      After that day (the day after disclosure), I did not contact him and he did not contact me. Once again, I figured he needed time. About three days after, he finally texted me saying that he was sorry for the way he reacted. He also said that he loved me and was very sad but according to what he read, he would eventually get it and that he couldn’t knowingly do that to himself and if I ever needed anything to let him know.  (I did not see the point in disputing what he “read” on the Internet and how he felt about it. The links I first sent him clearly indicated that was not the case.) Neither one of us wants more kids (we both have them) so it has nothing to do with any issues it could cause in that sense.
      I basically said “thank u, next” and wished him well. That was the day after Christmas.
      Fast forward one month to Wednesday, January 23. (We have had no contact at all. We are not connected on social media and we have no mutual friends.) I get a text from him asking how I’m doing.  I respond politely and we exchange a few pleasantries. He then asks me if I’m seeing anyone and tells me that he’s sorry for what went on and he really wanted to go out with me again. I say I am confused since for the past month, I’ve accepted the fact that he did NOT want to be with me. He asked if we could just meet to talk, but he totally understood if I said no. I said, sure, I’ll meet you to talk but told him not to have any expectations about us dating again. I said I needed some time and maybe we could meet in a week or so.
      We texted a little bit yesterday. I told him that I wanted to meet him at the restaurant because I wanted to be sure I could leave whenever I wanted to. He then said, “I cannot apologize enough for how I handled things between us.” I said, “I don’t want to talk about that now.” And that I needed space between now and our meeting next Thursday and I would confirm with him on Wednesday (in other words, do NOT contact me). I want to see if he will honor my wish.
      Here’s what I need advice on. I have NO experience in dealing with being rejected for this particular reason and none of my friends do either.
      Is he just a total jerk???   In your experience or opinion, will he ever be truly emotionally supportive? Should I cut him some slack? Should I meet with him at all? Should I meet with him in order to end it with him in person? To begin with, I am a person with avoidant attachment issues. I cut people off and out of my life very easily, many of my friends think too easily. It was a huge deal for me even to disclose to him. Huge deal.  I know me cutting him out of my life could easily be justified in my mind and it is my natural tendency to want to do this. I am truly shocked that I actually kept his number in my phone and didn’t block it right after he texted me to end it. The fact that I am actually opening up just a little bit (maybe even to someone who doesn’t deserve it) is major progress for me.
      I miss him and I still care about him. I really, really thought he would have been one to be okay with the situation from the get-go, but obviously I was mistaken.
      Help!
    • Spoiled_iam90
      By Spoiled_iam90
      Hey, I’m a 28 year old black female and I just was diagnosed with HSV type 2! The bad part about is that the doctor can’t give me a timetable for when he thinks I could have contracted it!! I am a survivor of sexual assault twice, once when I was six and again at the age of 21!! It hurts even worse now because I don’t even know where to start!! I feel like I’m being punished for something I did in my past life or something!! How am I supposed to date or just tell my next partner what I have and risk them leaving me, talking about me, or even harming me because of what I could expose them to!! I really haven’t had a big breakout or anything yet, so can someone please just tell me what I should expect in the near future!! Will I be ok because right now depression is winning!! They have me on 500mg of Valtrex daily for suppression and it works really well!! 
    • davidis
      By davidis
      Hey friends,

Haven't posted in a while - but I wanted to write a quick post, I had my kinda-5-year-herpes anniversary (got it on my birthday  which makes it easier to remember) - and I'm happy to say that since then I've been in 4 relationships with non-herpes people (with a few short ones in between) and it has only gotten easier for me to disclose each time.

When I was first diagnosed I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that I would have to disclose to everyone I meet some horrible secret, because after the initial shock it didn't feel horrible at all... it just felt like a harmless thing I had to live with.

So then I decided that that's how I was going to live my life - I tell people who I'm dating about it as soon as I can tell it's going well. Sometimes the night I meet them. And in five years I have not met a single person who has turned me away because of it.

I truly, truly believe it's the only way to live with herpes - the more we keep it a secret, the more people will think it's something to be afraid of - which it's not. When I was first diagnosed, I met someone at the Toronto herpes meetup who sat down with me and told me that it wasn't a big deal - and that generally speaking, people don't care. Five years later and it's some of the best advice I've been given.

I know there are exceptions, and I know from what people here have told me that it can be incredibly difficult to disclose, but I really hope that doesn't stop anyone here from trying.

This is just my experience - but if one person reads this and feels hope, then I'll be happy.

You're all beautiful snowflakes

- David.
    • pepikw
      By pepikw
      Today I woke up with a cold sore and today was my date with my boyfriend. I haven't told him yet due to my shame about having it and the fear of his reaction. He was hurt I acted really distant from him and I feel so hurt too :’) I feel like the cold sore ruined everything. I wish I can just get rid of it or just disappear.  Now I feel so guilty inside and I don’t want to go on living. I wish i never got herpes and I just wish no one gave it to me :’) It’d be fine if I had it, but asymptotic. I wish I was normal.
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Toro
      I have the same symptoms as well and the only thing that worked out is Amenalief.I am taking 1 pill a day.
    • cowpoke02
      it happens ..  talking about few guys so i guessed ..  only take sone mess up or lie ..  experiment continues . i was doing great .  went backwards .. not eating is my friend ..  i get some supplies back and i will see if they working better than thing i was taking them with ...  order nuns hemp oil and products . they make best  out of california .   joint pain stuff and edible oil .  might work really well . experiment time ..  smoke real pot as well .  always hope // i know at worse i make my own oil dose up at night ..  eat clean .. i looking at it as a war and battle .. i was just healthy for while ..  so all gotta do is eat dried apricots or hemp oils ... or switch on off best products so body dint get used to it or damage from one thing to long ..  take care ..   you work in law offices ?  i could use a hand typing up simple retard few sentences  . make every thing short ..  i could pay back extra if i win ...     yes sex is reckless . i didn't a lot but made bad choices .. its reckless since it is your life . bible no joke . world history of truths of man . problem is figure it out after ya screwed . lol.  strict cause when you comet to play or entertain idea specially others they usual;ly using you or trickery bad things .  all good.  it's a war and i just enough and have few tricks all ready . get stocked up on the remedies so don't run out . lol.  live where have pot be god sent . 
    • cowpoke02
      that is a real pain and pelvic problem made worse by stress that changes chemicals in body /  then it inflames nerves ..   i got scar tissue to prove it ..   lol..  get some pot to get rid of it .   try  three sistersor sisters hemp oil .  helps aches pains through the skin in  joints  so goo chance go through help the H plus ingest it  and smoke it .  made by 2 nuns in  califorina .. best hemp product and more expensive ..  ordering today for shipment ..  life a bitch . had it in control again something went wrong . ra out of one thing i was taking . might f been working better than seeds alone .  we keep experimenting . lol.  
    • MikeHerp
      It's not clear.  The experiments in which they inactivated 2-4% latent HSV in mice, was definitely in living mice. The research paper is very clear about that.  It appears that in May 2018, they also reported nearly 20-30% inactivation of latent HSV in living mice. It's not clear what the 90% is referring to, whether in living mice or some artificial latency model using mice sells in vitro.  I really hope that it was in living mice.  That would make sense, since the earlier experiments were in living mice.  But in any case, as you mentioned, this research is progressing very well. Let's continue to try to raise money for it.  
    • blurneworder
      Did anything cause the tears or would you just getting tears out of nowhere?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.