World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Jessross52012

Viral shedding while taking Valtrex as suppressant

Jessross52012

I take 1 gram of Valtrex on a daily basis for suppressant purposes. I was diagnosed with HSV-1 genital herpes March of last year. I started taking the medicine as a suppressant in January of this year and have noticed my first outbreak (they are cracks in the folds and I have to assume it's an outbreak). I know you can still have outbreaks while taking the suppressant and that it reduces the chances of shedding. I was having oral sex with my partner and a couple of hours later noticed the cracks because of the pain. There was no pain during sex. My question is since I take the medicine as a daily suppressant and the sores happened so close to sexual contact, are my chances of shedding still less since I'm on the daily meds even with an outbreak or is it the same regardless because it is an outbreak? I'm just curious to know if the chances of spreading are less with this case since I take Valtrex on a daily basis. 

WilsoInAus

Technically yes they are. Bare in mind though that genital HSV-1 only sheds a few days a year as it is - 10-15. It is pretty questionable whether cutting this to say about 7 is actually worth the cost of a daily tablet.

If your partner already has oral HSV-1 then there is negligible if any benefit in taking antivirals. 

Atrapasueños

Then there’s the psychological toll. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Preventionstates that 776,000 Americans are newly infected with genital herpes each year. Even when symptoms are nonexistent, mild or suppressed by medication, infected people can still spread the disease to their sexual partners, making a genital herpes diagnosis a source of embarrassment, shame or stress that can interfere with relationships

JHenry

Looking for a meaningful number---Valtrex is known to reduce genital HSV2, asymptomatic shedding to what % of the time?  Thnx.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Charla
      By Charla
      Recently had my first big outbreak (I had a scare of what I thought could have been one last month but even though I got swabbed asap tested it came back negative). After about a week into the outbreak on my genitals I then had an oral outbreak (never had a cold sore before at least to my awareness). While I am on antivirals (taken the day the cold sore showed and the genitals have started clearing this oral one just seems to be getting worse. The nurse said it was likely HSV-2 but I am still waiting for my results. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to cope with this oral outbreak? I am currently staying at my boyfriends' house and am worried it will travel from inner lip/mouth to be more visible, the idea of his parents seeing it fills me with dread.
      Also, any good websites/blogs/youtubers to follow to give me a little more hope to this all. 
    • Boom
      By Boom
      Does anybody have any suggestions on how you deal with pain at work or when you are out? I have hsv2 I am in the beginning of a break out this one is bad. I can’t really afford to call in so if anybody has any tips I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks. 
    • Alwayssmile_
      By Alwayssmile_
      Hi 
      I'm losing more hair than usual and not on any suppressive meds. 
      Was wondering if anyone else experienced this hsv2 diagnosis or even hsv1 diagnoses 
      If so how did you solve the problem? 
      Thank you. 
    • Sara5222
      By Sara5222
      I just being diagnosed with hsv-1 (oral) and experience my first outbreak. What worry me is that i am on my early stage of pregnancy, is there any risk i transmit the virus to my baby in the uterus? Since I never had any outbreak before and this is the 1st time I've been tested positive with hsv-1. Anyone could help me deal with this, Im so worry, I really want to make sure my baby is delivered safe and healthy
    • EffieG
      By EffieG
      Approximately 5 years ago a  girl gave me a peck on the lips, I wiped my lips off.
      The next morning I woke up with a painful rash all over my top lip that dried up and resulted in chapped lips, where the skin died and regenerated. No pus or obvious cold sore.
      I have had this same outbreak approximately once a year in the same place except for this year where I have had it almost continuously, I have been very stressed.
      I went to the doctor who says it isn't cold sores (I have to wait 2 weeks for a blood test), however I have found someone ( To those with oral HSV2 only by Penumbra,)  who tested positive for HSV2 by blood test with my EXACT symptoms.
      Before an outbreak, my lip/nose area is tingling a lot and I feel a strong twitching in my lip.
      Is it possible that I have mild cold sores?
      I would greatly appreciate any help
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • win
      Hey hi202020, the Varivax vaccine definitely removed the neuralgia for me, at least so far (fingers crossed). My signs of HSV1 infection after the blood test came back positive in December (with a high IGG of over 55) were: horrible flu symptoms initially (in February) with swollen lymph nodes, followed by almost non-stop, super painful genital neuralgia, and one oral outbreak in March. However, the neuralgia has completely disappeared since the end of April (about a month or so). I had the first vaccine on April 10 and the booster shot on May 19, so about a week ago.
    • hi202020
      Hey Mackie I have the same neuralgia that you do, did you find anything that helped you? Did you try any vaccines? I’m feeling desperate as I’ve had non stop neuralgia/pain for 4+ months after contracting GHSV-1.
    • mconcerned1986
      Got my igG results after 13 months and it is negative I think I need to put this behind and may be rhink do some shitty infection that is causing this itching in genitals and on face. Just an FYI my Western blot at 7 months post exposure is negative.
    • Mikeike3
      Exactly. Plus some people don't seroconvert ever or for a long time, so it's even larger than that.  Also, it takes longer for hsv. To show up on wb than on a commercial igg test. 
    • Stolo868
      Even Terri says that sensitivity of WB for hsv1 is 95-96%. So somebody has to be in this 4-5%...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.