World's Largest Herpes Support Group
MikeNYC

OHSV1 Only, What are your disclosure policy and experiences ?

MikeNYC

Hello,

This is my first post here.  Hello forum!  It’s great to have a place where we can discuss all this stuff.

I don’t want to start another thread about what people should or should not do.  The forum has had this debate already.  I want to know about people’s actual policies for disclosing OHSV1, and what have their experiences been like?  Let’s keep it factual.

When and if you disclose (Before Kiss, Before Oral), how do you do it, and what reactions do you get?  How far do you go explaining this? (Part of the problem is that a lot of people are not well informed, so your would-be make out session has the potential to turn into a science lesson).

Thanks 

Disc0rdant
1 hour ago, MikeNYC said:

Hello,

This is my first post here.  Hello forum!  It’s great to have a place where we can discuss all this stuff.

I don’t want to start another thread about what people should or should not do.  The forum has had this debate already.  I want to know about people’s actual policies for disclosing OHSV1, and what have their experiences been like?  Let’s keep it factual.

When and if you disclose (Before Kiss, Before Oral), how do you do it, and what reactions do you get?  How far do you go explaining this? (Part of the problem is that a lot of people are not well informed, so your would-be make out session has the potential to turn into a science lesson).

Thanks 

I dont disclose prior to kissing.  Some may admonish me for that.  My ob's are normally 2 yrs apart and happen in the summer with too much sun/beer and sugary foods(like watermelon last summer)  I always disclose prior to sex because I love to please orally and feel I need to disclose.  I had no issues with any disclosures.  It seemed to build both trust and respect.  I basically say I get cold sores on my mouth, know the triggers and explain in detail what I will do to protect her.  I have a scrip for generic valtrex (never filled) if she wants me to take it.  I also only have ohsv1.  But.  It can be dangerous to her woman parts and I dont want to spread.  I have not spread it to anyone as of yet.  I think my diet, exercise and knowledge of my body mitigates quite well.

MikeNYC

@Discordant I am curious about a few things, 

what kind of things do you explain you will do to protect her? (Since you say you haven't filled your valtrex)

Since you kiss without disclosing, and then disclose before sex, have you ever has anyone say something like "Hey how could you not tell me and kiss me!".  I know you said you have no issues with disclosures, but I find that amazing! (and encouraging). 

Do you find yourself doing a lot of explaining (Ie, cold sores are Herpes, it can be spread from oral to genital, etc) or are people in the know?

As someone who has been on here a while, do you think my topic was a poor question, or are there just not a lot of OHSV-1 only people on here?

I found it interesting, searching Positive Singles in NY for females 28-38, I found very few women on there that were only OHSV-1 positive as well. 

Thanks for sharing your experience it helped put me at ease a bit - 

Disc0rdant
9 hours ago, MikeNYC said:

what kind of things do you explain you will do to protect her? (Since you say you haven't filled your valtrex)

Since you kiss without disclosing, and then disclose before sex, have you ever has anyone say something like "Hey how could you not tell me and kiss me!".  I know you said you have no issues with disclosures, but I find that amazing! (and encouraging). 

Do you find yourself doing a lot of explaining (Ie, cold sores are Herpes, it can be spread from oral to genital, etc) or are people in the know?

As someone who has been on here a while, do you think my topic was a poor question, or are there just not a lot of OHSV-1 only people on here?

I found it interesting, searching Positive Singles in NY for females 28-38, I found very few women on there that were only OHSV-1 positive as well. 

No.  I have not gotten any anger.  I think it is because statistically, if she kisses 5 guys, 4 have ohsv1.  It isnt inappropriate to disclose but they inherently know that lots of kissing happens w/o sex.  Never had a bad reaction.  I havent passed it that I know of, either.  I am very in tune w my body.  I know 3 days ahead if an ob is happening.  My ob's can be 3 wks.  Last discordant gf, we didnt kiss for 3 weeks one time....  I dont have every answer, though....

Disc0rdant
9 hours ago, MikeNYC said:

I tell her that I am willing to fill the valtrex if a concern, I ask permission to perform oral and I literally get a tingle before an ob...  I cant promise 100%.  I promise to do my best out of care and respect.

Disc0rdant

I dont think it is a poor topic at all.  There is risk to ohsv1...  I cant imagine it on my man parts.....

Lisajd

I know you don't want to start a thread about what a person should or shouldn't do but if I were in the same situation which I'm not because knowing what I know now about how herpes can affect people and some people can have severe oral outbreaks I would personally tell them if it we're me before kissing.   

Newtothisandscared

I am not judging either, but i got Ghsv1 from my boyfriend who gets infrequent cold sores because herpes does shed asymptomatically.....I think it is always good to know, so one can take a calculated risk....

Edited by Newtothisandscared

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• seanriley213
      By seanriley213
      Can I please get someone to talk to here?????? I think I'm drowning in pains
    • TwoCrescents
      By TwoCrescents
      Hi everyone, I just joined, and I've been feeling incredibly hopeless. I don't know where else to post to talk about my herpes/ cold sores, but I really need help. I feel so lonely and depressed about this. I've had herpes for 4 years, and the first two years, I was able to sort of "tame" it. I would get the usual herpes on the lips, twice a year, and then I would wait for it to scab and fall off. But two years ago, I had an incredibly stressful argument with my mom. We were full blown screaming at each other, and she wouldn't leave me alone even after the argument was over, it was so, so bad. At that time, I was in the middle of an outbreak, but then the next day after our argument, another outbreak was forming on the other end of my lips. Even though I waited for both outbreaks to scab and fall off, they kept reoccurring (as a hard crust). I never was able to fix this, so for the next two years, I would wipe off the scabs and apply Aquaphor, a lip ointment all over my lips to keep the cold sores from scabbing and to hide my outbreak. If I leave my lips without the ointment, they do not seem to scab like normal. They don't form a hard crust, but instead sort of flake/ have a soft crust. Does anyone know what this means? I have a feeling this is very bad, as it would need to be a hard crust for the cycle to end. I've tried looking for answers all over, but I can't seem to find information about this. 
      Anyways, fast forward about a month ago, I had my herpes spread outside of my lips, this is the first time I've had this happen! I went to get pills for this from my doctor, and my herpes would form a hard scab like normal within 4 days. But, the scabbing was so SO hideous and disgusting, and I had to go out in public (I have college)... so I picked it off early.... :( It left a red mark on my skin.... and I KNOW, I know that was a really bad decision! But I was praying the next time it scabbed, it would be less severe. Right now, my outbreak is still active. It's flaky and has a soft crust, and it won't seem to want to fall off!  It's been almost a month since it first started, and there is no hard scab. Right now, I somehow got my herpes to spread on two other areas around my lips, but it just forms a soft crust instead. What do I do? Can someone please help me, I don't know what to do! I can't keep going to the doctor like this as it gets expensive....
      Thank you so much for reading all this, and I'm so sorry if this all sounds disgusting. 
    • Locs
      By Locs
      I gave my partner oral herpes but I haven’t told him yet. I was just diagnosed 2 days ago. A little background, I’m a normal 20 something year old. I have been having sex with my partner for about 7 months now. When we first started messing around it was more so of a thing that “just happened” (protection was used) around this time he was also talking to another girl as well. We eventually just started hanging out more and we got closer. We’re together all the time, even though we never actually said we were boyfriend and girlfriend. Back in june I was raped by my boss ( he didn’t use protection) I told my partner and we’ve been working through the problem together. My roommate also told me after 2 months of living together that she has type 2 herpes. I was only frustrated with her because she didn’t tell me before we moved in. Not that it would have changed anything, just that I would have taken better precautions because we share practically everything.  I was open with him about me feeling sore down there before I went for a check up. We both thought that I just had gotten a cut from rough sex. He performs oral on me often and he told me how he saw the “cuts” as well but he still proceeded to perform oral a little until i told him it felt too uncomfortable. After that incident we haven’t been having sex until I felt better. (I’m pretty sure that’s the moment I passed my virus on.) I took it upon myself to look at my “cuts” in a hand mirror and it looked too serious to just be from rough sex. I’m not sure if my roommate, him, or my rapist passed it on or maybe I have had it and not known. I just really don’t know how to tell him. The hardest part about having this is that I can pass it on. I just feel so low. And now all I can think about is my rapist and how he could have possibly gave it to me. I ruined my partners life and I’ve been trying to build the courage to tell him. 
    • Asiangirl77
      By Asiangirl77
      Dear all, 
      first of, i’m thankful I found this website. I’ve been diagnosed with genital warts a few months back since April and it hasn’t been pleasant. 
      As I was doing my treatment for genital warts, immediately as I went home I realised some small bumps which then immediately turned into huge yellow ulcers that really hurts like shit. 
      Hence I went back to my doctor the next day and she was surprised as well, 
      1. Is there a chance of contacting genital herpes from oral sex? 
      2. I do not have any blisters Nor rashes but these sores does hurts and pee-ing is just terrible, it burns so much. 
      3. How do one survive with being diagosed with herpes? 
      4. Any chances of soothing the huge sores that i’ve have? 
      5. I’ve been given some anti-vira medication, any idea how Long does the outbreak takes? 
      6. Does that means there’ll be no more unprotected sex from now on as I might pass this virus to my partner? 
      7. Pretty sure I’ve gotten it from this Australian guy, but I haven’t been able to tell him to go for a check up and all. 
      Please feel free to give me suggestions and ideas on this thread as i’m In a lost now and have completely no idea what’s the next step. 
      I can’t seem to upload the photos of the sore here, so if anyone could help, please let me know as i’m Desperate to clear the pain. 
    • awm
      By awm
      Hi guys, I'm so glad I found this forum again and that there is a section called 'Rant and Rave' because I think that's all I need to do really. Some insight and education in your responses would be useful though :-)
      So...lately I've been run-down, stressed with work and general life. I've been trying to rest but it's been tough of late. Only in the last year since I started my own company have I had coldsores appearing on my lips, I've had 4 in total now and they come pretty big.
      Recently on and off I have taken Acicolvir tablets thinking to myself 'I know I'm run down, a coldsore might come' but then it's hard to know when to start/stop taking them? Usually I'll take them for about 7 days, a coldsore doesn't come, so I stop.
      Anyway, I was taking the tablets for about 5 days after I took some time off work with what I thought was tonsillitis.  The doctor gave me some antibiotics too and I continued taking the Aciclovir too but not for the past 2-3 days after the antibiotics finished and I managed to just feel well enough to go to a festival with a friend. Low and behold, this morning my throat started feeling sore again and then on the train on my way home, all of a sudden this white spot appeared on my top lip and it's only since I've actually got home that I've noticed a couple of other spots next to it and now this is looking quite familiar. I guess it's a coldsore :-(
      This is tough, considering I just about got over what I thought was tonsillitis and I just really don't need this right now. In past experience it takes about 2-3 weeks to clear completely!
      So...I have a lipzor machine, which cost me a lot of money (no idea if it actually works), I've been using that on it, I've also applied some zovirax I have left over, I now have a patch on it for when I got to sleep, I've taken 2 aciclovir tablets, 2 x lycine tablets, 1 x echinecea tablet and that's it.
      I've read up on all the things to do but it would be good to know if anyone has any advice as to what to do at this really early stage.
      I also wonder if perhaps this was never tonsillitus and maybe antibiotics was the wrong thing to take? Can the virus come out with swollen tonsils too?
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.