World's Largest Herpes Support Group
MikeNYC

OHSV1 Only, What are your disclosure policy and experiences ?

MikeNYC

Hello,

This is my first post here.  Hello forum!  It’s great to have a place where we can discuss all this stuff.

I don’t want to start another thread about what people should or should not do.  The forum has had this debate already.  I want to know about people’s actual policies for disclosing OHSV1, and what have their experiences been like?  Let’s keep it factual.

When and if you disclose (Before Kiss, Before Oral), how do you do it, and what reactions do you get?  How far do you go explaining this? (Part of the problem is that a lot of people are not well informed, so your would-be make out session has the potential to turn into a science lesson).

Thanks 

Disc0rdant
1 hour ago, MikeNYC said:

Hello,

This is my first post here.  Hello forum!  It’s great to have a place where we can discuss all this stuff.

I don’t want to start another thread about what people should or should not do.  The forum has had this debate already.  I want to know about people’s actual policies for disclosing OHSV1, and what have their experiences been like?  Let’s keep it factual.

When and if you disclose (Before Kiss, Before Oral), how do you do it, and what reactions do you get?  How far do you go explaining this? (Part of the problem is that a lot of people are not well informed, so your would-be make out session has the potential to turn into a science lesson).

Thanks 

I dont disclose prior to kissing.  Some may admonish me for that.  My ob's are normally 2 yrs apart and happen in the summer with too much sun/beer and sugary foods(like watermelon last summer)  I always disclose prior to sex because I love to please orally and feel I need to disclose.  I had no issues with any disclosures.  It seemed to build both trust and respect.  I basically say I get cold sores on my mouth, know the triggers and explain in detail what I will do to protect her.  I have a scrip for generic valtrex (never filled) if she wants me to take it.  I also only have ohsv1.  But.  It can be dangerous to her woman parts and I dont want to spread.  I have not spread it to anyone as of yet.  I think my diet, exercise and knowledge of my body mitigates quite well.

MikeNYC

@Discordant I am curious about a few things, 

what kind of things do you explain you will do to protect her? (Since you say you haven't filled your valtrex)

Since you kiss without disclosing, and then disclose before sex, have you ever has anyone say something like "Hey how could you not tell me and kiss me!".  I know you said you have no issues with disclosures, but I find that amazing! (and encouraging). 

Do you find yourself doing a lot of explaining (Ie, cold sores are Herpes, it can be spread from oral to genital, etc) or are people in the know?

As someone who has been on here a while, do you think my topic was a poor question, or are there just not a lot of OHSV-1 only people on here?

I found it interesting, searching Positive Singles in NY for females 28-38, I found very few women on there that were only OHSV-1 positive as well. 

Thanks for sharing your experience it helped put me at ease a bit - 

Disc0rdant
9 hours ago, MikeNYC said:

what kind of things do you explain you will do to protect her? (Since you say you haven't filled your valtrex)

Since you kiss without disclosing, and then disclose before sex, have you ever has anyone say something like "Hey how could you not tell me and kiss me!".  I know you said you have no issues with disclosures, but I find that amazing! (and encouraging). 

Do you find yourself doing a lot of explaining (Ie, cold sores are Herpes, it can be spread from oral to genital, etc) or are people in the know?

As someone who has been on here a while, do you think my topic was a poor question, or are there just not a lot of OHSV-1 only people on here?

I found it interesting, searching Positive Singles in NY for females 28-38, I found very few women on there that were only OHSV-1 positive as well. 

No.  I have not gotten any anger.  I think it is because statistically, if she kisses 5 guys, 4 have ohsv1.  It isnt inappropriate to disclose but they inherently know that lots of kissing happens w/o sex.  Never had a bad reaction.  I havent passed it that I know of, either.  I am very in tune w my body.  I know 3 days ahead if an ob is happening.  My ob's can be 3 wks.  Last discordant gf, we didnt kiss for 3 weeks one time....  I dont have every answer, though....

Disc0rdant
9 hours ago, MikeNYC said:

I tell her that I am willing to fill the valtrex if a concern, I ask permission to perform oral and I literally get a tingle before an ob...  I cant promise 100%.  I promise to do my best out of care and respect.

Disc0rdant

I dont think it is a poor topic at all.  There is risk to ohsv1...  I cant imagine it on my man parts.....

Lisajd

I know you don't want to start a thread about what a person should or shouldn't do but if I were in the same situation which I'm not because knowing what I know now about how herpes can affect people and some people can have severe oral outbreaks I would personally tell them if it we're me before kissing.   

Newtothisandscared

I am not judging either, but i got Ghsv1 from my boyfriend who gets infrequent cold sores because herpes does shed asymptomatically.....I think it is always good to know, so one can take a calculated risk....

Edited by Newtothisandscared

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Real $lim Katie
      By Real $lim Katie
      Hi there friends My name is Katie and I have been brutally embarrassed and bullied by the cold sores I get since kindergarten. I used to get them every time the seasons changed like clockwork and they would continue to affect me into my adulthood, restricting me from wanting to go to school/work/out with friends/etc.
      To help empower me, I made this video parodying "7 Rings" by Ariana Grande to embody embracing your true amazingness despite your cold sore. It includes the tips that I have learned over my 23 years to zap the sore before they get worse and my roommate/bestie designed and created all the clothes featured in it. Check it-
      MY COLD SORE TIPS--
      -zinc
      -lysine
      -carmex
      -celery juice
      -coconut oil
      -valtrex
      have helped shorten the life of my cold sore WHAT HELPS YOU???
      #REALSLIMSORECHALLENGE : post the video & say your OWN tips to SHORTEN THE LIFE OF PESKY ASS COLD SORES. 

Also, get out of your house and live your life!!! 1/2 people have cold sores, why do they make us feel so bad about ourselves?

DESTIGMATIZE THE SORE!

Love you all

• Charla
      By Charla
      Recently had my first big outbreak (I had a scare of what I thought could have been one last month but even though I got swabbed asap tested it came back negative). After about a week into the outbreak on my genitals I then had an oral outbreak (never had a cold sore before at least to my awareness). While I am on antivirals (taken the day the cold sore showed and the genitals have started clearing this oral one just seems to be getting worse. The nurse said it was likely HSV-2 but I am still waiting for my results. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to cope with this oral outbreak? I am currently staying at my boyfriends' house and am worried it will travel from inner lip/mouth to be more visible, the idea of his parents seeing it fills me with dread.
      Also, any good websites/blogs/youtubers to follow to give me a little more hope to this all. 
    • Gracieluewho
      By Gracieluewho
      I was just diagnosed with HSV 1 and this was the first time I had been tested for it. I am not sure how long I’ve had it and now I’m feeling a lot of stress and anxiety. A lot of my friends have had cold sores before and I know they’re super common but I am so afraid of passing it to someone else with an unknown outbreak. I know that HSV 1 can be oral or genital but is most commonly oral. I don’t think I’ve had an outbreak yet because I figured it would be easy to recall. I’ve had a small fluid filled bump above my lip for a month or so that at one point I picked off and it grew back. It hasn’t bursted and doesn’t hurt at all. I’m not sure if this is my first outbreak or if it’s just something else. Is there any kind of medication I can take to lower the chances of spreading it to another person?
    • Verver23
      By Verver23
      I've recently had a cold sore outbreak and used abreva to treat it. After the blisters drain 4-5 days later I usually apply vaseline to prevent dryness. It seemed to make the scab fall fast but now my lip is pink/red and has some residual swelling. Is this ok? How to I fix the color and slight swelling?
    • silentsuffering
      By silentsuffering
      Hi everyone! 
      Earlier this week I saw my doctor as I was experiencing some discomfort in my genital area... long story short I had unprotected sex, my doctor or did a physical examination and believed it is herpes. 
      I received a call today advising that my blood came back negative for all STD’s and the sexual contact was made over 10 days ago. Rash is sores are still fresh.
      From what I’ve read false negatives do occur but that’s usually if the rash isn’t active...
      He put me on Valaciclovir on Monday (it’s now Thursday) and it appears to be getting worse. I am sceptical that I do have herpes even with a negative blood test, he wants me to have another test done in a month to be sure however what else could this be?
      Sorry for the graphic image too..

• Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • TCBH
      Another company looking to create a vaccine.  http://www.bluewillow.com/bluewillow-biologics-awarded-patent-for-intranasal-genital-herpes-vaccine/ BlueWillow’s intranasal NanoVax platform elicits both mucosal and systemic immunity through its novel oil-in-water nanoemulsion (NE) adjuvant, offering a unique advantage to combat sexually transmitted infections (STIs) including genital herpes. The mucosal immunity elicited by intranasal NE vaccines provides critical protection against infections at the port of entry by which a pathogen enters the body. The intranasal NanoVax HSV vaccine has demonstrated safety and efficacy in both prophylactic and therapeutic animal models for genital herpes. In a prophylactic guinea pig study, the intranasal vaccine prevented genital herpes infection in 92 percent of animals vaccinated. Therapeutic study animals previously infected with genital herpes who received the BlueWillow vaccine reduced recurrent lesions and viral shedding by more than 50 percent compared to animals who received no treatment.
    • JHenry
      Cas, This is sooooooo exciting I may need a diaper!  How bout you?  😊
    • JHenry
      This is wonderful news!  Impressive dollars raised and the team is absolutely outstanding.  For those who have been dreaming of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation on our side, consider your prayers answered.  William Jacobs and Betsy Herold from Einstein have “sounded” extremely confident all along.  While maybe not just “around the corner” this is amazingly exciting!   If there was ever a person that possibly could be a force in “fast tracking” could it be Mr. Bill Gates?  While it may seem “so far off”, for those of us having been infected for 20+ years or more, it is still music to our ears, and the  glass is always half full-without hope you have nothing.   Never forget this line from Shawshank Redemption:                                           “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies”. 
    • LightafterDarkness
      Discussion thread on this news here:  
    • LightafterDarkness
      This is pretty impressive for a number of reasons: Average funding for a series A in biotech is around ~$50M but the median is around ~$30M as of 2018 The takeaway then is the XVax is at the higher end of the spectrum suggesting (1) High investor interest, (2) XVax is thinking big A robust set of investors- good to see that there are multiple names here rather than 1-2. Again, suggests robust interest from investors Note that the anchor investor (i.e., the biggest) is Adjuvent who are backed by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, good to see that HSV continues to be of interest to them (my theory: due to the link with HIV and Alzheimer now)   Overall everyone should be cheering this news given the impressive results seen with animal models. Still remember this is going to be a multi year process- I would hope to see a phase I in 2020

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.