World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
marie beach

Sex and oral sex

marie beach

What's the best advice for your dating life/sex life after being recently diagnosed? 

I know this disease isn't the end of the world, although it feels like it mentally. Psychologically I'm a mess and haven't come to terms with accepting it because I feel as if no one will ever want to be with me after I tell them I have herpes type 2. I got diagnosed the day after Memorial Day, so a little over 2 weeks now. 

I'm so worried about sex and oral sex. I know it's always best, safe to use condoms but what about oral sex? 

I'm still talking to my ex, who gave me herpes, and my doctor said that it would be best for him to be on acyclovir too so the chances of him having an outbreak (with no symptoms) will be slim so we have still have sex. 

UprisingMadness

This is what I say, if you have sex with anyone, tell them from the start. You don't know how many guys I have told, some I slept with and some I didn't and they all didn't care. Some even said they respected me even more for telling them and thought it was cool of me to do it. I was even monogamous with a my now, ex boyfriend, for 3 mos and he didn't care. I am on valacyclovir and take it almost every day. I have only had one outbreak, my initial one in Jan, when I was diagnosed, and still haven't had another. I also take Biotin, vitamin c, and occasionally zinc. I know I have a really strong immune system too though, even before I got this. Also, with oral, let it be up to them, if they ask, say "why don't you research it, know your risk, and then let me know if you still want to do it." With my ex, he didn't care and he doesn't have it....at least he's never had symptoms or anything. But I definitely let it be his choice, I wasn't going to pressure him into anything he didn't want to do. I actually broke up with him because he's crazy, he still wants to be w me so, there's that;) Your life won't stop because of this unless you let it.:)