World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Asharmz

Need some advice !!

Asharmz

Hi everyone I am a 28 y.o. Male and I do not have hsv1 or hsv2. I am sorry if I offend anyone by joining a forum for people that have it but I have nowhere else to turn. Reason I joined is because there is this woman that I'm in love with for the better part of a year , we never did anything and she would push me away finally I had enough and asked her what the deal was, she finally came out and told me that she has HSV2 that she contracted years ago and kept pushing me away because she was afraid of spreading it to me.

My immediate response was wow I really do appreciate you trusting me enough to actually tell me and honestly it made me want her even more. I don't care that she has it, and I told her that as well, but I felt like I may have been too laxed in my expression to the news. I talked to her about it and tried to find as much information out of her as I possibly can but honestly I felt like I may have messed up because to be totally honest I don't know enough about it, rather I don't know what it's like to live with it.  I've taken it upon myself to do research on hsv2, I've even visited doctors to ask what can I possibly be in store for, preventative measures , etc. 

She doesn't know I've done this, she went from telling me she loves me to she can't put me through that because it isn't right. I don't look at her any different nor does it change the fact that I do love her. Now here's where I need help  

1: how do I go about telling her that I'm well aware of the risks of pursuing this? 

2: If I do happen to contract it I won't hold it against her and I don't want her to feel guilty. 

3: how do I bring up that I honestly feel safer with her knowing she has it ( meaning I know what I'm getting myself into and am well aware of the risk and will be willing to put up with it for her sake)? 

Please any advice will be greatly appreciated. Again I'm really sorry of my presence here offends anyone I just really have nowhere else to turn.

WilsoInAus

Hey mate, welcome @Asharmz.

There is zero offence in coming here to anyone. It is a forum to for everyone to learn how to minimise the impact of herpes on our lives. This shows that you care.

Advice is just that. Advice. What you choose to do with it is up to you. I hope you get a few different perspectives that helps you choose wisely for your situation.

I suggest you have now done enough in terms of telling her that it is OK to proceed with a sexual relationship. Your mindset is what is important (which is mature in my view ) and not what you say and how often you say it. The issue is her mindset over this that will hopefully relax and change. It is simply enough to say you love and care for her and want to share life and dreams together.

I would start with suggesting she consider taking antivirals. Not because it reduces risk per se, but will hopefully make her feel more confident she has done all that can reasonably be expected on her part to reduce risk to an optimal extent.

Take things slowly. Spend time just kissing and holding her. Maybe then move to touching her in addition (nothing more) for a period of time (weeks, couple of months), moving to oral sex and hopefully vaginal sex with a condom - all slowly such that she's not quite as fearful of each step as she would be today. Keep focussed on things to do together, dinners with friends, walks, going to the movies etc. Confidence from the feeling that the relationship is right for the long term will help.

Lisajd

What you have stated yourself in your questions is how you talk to her.  Does she know she is low risk herself?  

Whyyyyy

Let me first just say that I applaud you! You seem like a wonderful man! Have you considered letting her read what you wrote here?

Asharmz
17 minutes ago, Whyyyyy said:

Let me first just say that I applaud you! You seem like a wonderful man! Have you considered letting her read what you wrote here?

Thank you very much whyyyyy, and no I have not, actually never thought about showing it to her. We're both very big on actions speak louder than words, but it might be worth a shot ? 

Asharmz
38 minutes ago, Lisajd said:

What you have stated yourself in your questions is how you talk to her.  Does she know she is low risk herself?  

Nope she doesn't she thinks she is high risk and doesn't want to risk giving it to me. 

Whyyyyy
1 hour ago, Asharmz said:

Thank you very much whyyyyy, and no I have not, actually never thought about showing it to her. We're both very big on actions speak louder than words, but it might be worth a shot ? 

I think it would be perfect!

Whyyyyy
1 hour ago, Asharmz said:

Nope she doesn't she thinks she is high risk and doesn't want to risk giving it to me. 

I know exactly how she feels; I got diagnosed while in a relationship with a man who does/did not have H and chose to stand by me...he told me all of the things you said. But putting someone you love at risk for this is the hardest thing ever! Use lube with carnageenan (spelling), have her take daily antivirals and use condoms. Just know that if you do all of those things and you still get it you cannot blame her or resent her after the fact, she can only take reasonable precautions to protect you...I know you say you won't but that's my biggest fear with my boyfriend and I know he loves me! There's just a lot of emotions that come with this diagnosis; and she wants to protect you from that! Good luck, I wish you both the very best! I know she feels blessed to have you and your unconditional love!

Lisajd

I think that she needs to understand that she is low-risk and this is also about you finding out from her about the frequency of her outbreaks because this can determine the risk factor as well.  But if she is determined then maybe you have to let it go.  And I concur as well that's why I left you know how you are ok with those guys should have ended up with it and then regret it and that is really hard on the person who passes it on.

And no one can predict the future almost you might think it is perfect now what if down the track you do get it and break up how will that affect you and have you really thought about that.  I guess the thing you need to point out to her is that she knows he have it and therefore you are able to take precautions because there are so many people out there who don't know that have it and you can end up with it anyway because that next person can pass it unknowingly.  

I was in a situation where I was with someone and was diagnosed and it was not from him and he would not have sex with me again and when I said to him about the risks he would still not take the risk and when he met someone you the first thing I said to him was make sure she gets tested because she may have it and not know therefore you are still at risk of getting it

Stillme1968

there is a booklet that is downloadable 

I want to say the Herpes handbook

which would be good for you to read

maybe even read it together? 

take a good look at what your risk is with the meds and condom use

actually if she caught this years ago

the number of days she is shedding might not be that high

so do your research

Edited by Stillme1968

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• tommylee
      By tommylee
      Hello my name is Tommy, 
      I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for two years. At the beginning of our relationship everything was going well and we clicked as a couple, until I made the worst possible decision of my life in December 2016. I slept with another woman, unprotected, in which i contracted genital herpes HSV-2 from my one and only sexual encounter with this woman. I deserved it as a punishment for what I had done and felt as if I should even die for what I did. I then had sex with my girlfriend the following January of 2017, in which she contracted genital herpes. She was in hospital and the first break out was very severe. This was the worst moment in my life and will be until I die.

To top it off, after this tragedy in January 2017, the same month i slept with another woman and another throughout the year (not continously). I don't understand how i could be so evil as my girlfriend was still recovering from contracting herpes from me, yet i gave her more emotional heart break. ever since then the relationship has been broken and we fight and violently argue as I have no idea what to do to make this better and she feels 'stuck' with me. she feels like i ruined her life and she is right. I cannot rectify this or cure herpes and this is what is leading me to suicide as my intention in life was never to ruin somebody elses life, but I have. My girlfriend is an admirable woman who has stuck by me through a lot of the bullshit, however I feel like she hates me now as she feels she could have had a much less traumatic experience with any other man and that she is stuck with me as she cannot tell anyone about having herpes due to the societal shame that it brings and how society teaches us to think. 
      My Girlfriend hates me and she wants me to 'fix' the situation but i have no idea what to do as it always comes down to her asking me "well can you take this away from me?"
      I am using multiple forums to try and get opinions from people with Herpes as I am close to killing myself as i feel i have basically committed a sin which is the same as murder and created a monster inside my girlfriend. The relationship cannot be left behind as we do have feelings for eachother but the herpes problem causes violent fights involving police (one occasion) and destruction of goods. 

I have no idea what to do and feel like death is the only answer, i often ask her to kill me or get people to kill me as i feel so lost and powerless and possible like the worst person on the planet, as well as feeling alone as i cannot tell any of my friends about this, none of them know what i have or why my relationship is so unhealthy. I am alone in this world and my girlfriend feels like that also, however i feel alone as well but because i caused the whole situation and gave her herpes any feelings of depression or alienation that i have a null and void because i am the 'bad guy' in the relationship. I am the 'joker' in the batman hypothetically speaking.

I want to die as i have no idea what to do. This is the most complicated situation in my life and there is no way to solve it, no answer, no path, no God that can take this away from me and no cure for herpes.

What do you advise I do to rebuild the relationship and at least TRY to live a life without having to commit suicide?
    • TolkienNerd42
      By TolkienNerd42
      Some background before I explain- I have not been formally diagnosed with herpes but I do get cold sores. It's been at least 2 years since my last one and since my life is very fast paced it's always the last thing on my mind. So when I got into my current relationship I had totally forgotten that I actually get them. My current issue is that I didn't realize I was getting a cold sore because I recently changed acne treatments and disregarded the tingling sensation as a reaction. I gave my boyfriend oral sex and that night after work saw what has now become a sore. I was up till midnight looking up all the research I could and type 1 can effect genitalia. So long story short I probably gave it to him and I feel like crap to the point where I think he should breakup with me. And he thought it was curable(he grew up in a bubble) which makes me feel even worse. I know it's not the worst STD out there which is putting my mind at rest a tiny bit but I still feel like a terrible person and a walking plague sack.
    • Flowers4you
      By Flowers4you
      Hello I am new to this site and need advice.  I am with someone that doesn't have herpes we are using the necessary precaution when having sex.   We have been together for over two years and I enjoy having sex but my boyfriend not so much because we are using a condom.  I and afraid that he will eventually not want to have sex anymore. Is anyone else in a relationship with someone that doesn't have herpes? 
    • Evictorious
      By Evictorious
      I was recently diagnosed with this virus. My boyfriend of 4 months developed symptoms the same time I did so I have no idea where it came from. My boyfriend has been struggling with this diagnoses as well.
      I have questions about sex... Obviously we wont be having sex if we are having a active outbreak because it would be painful. But what if he is at the end of the outbreak on just him? could we use a condom and be ok? or can he reinfect me or spread it to me? I know we are both already infected but will sex make the out break worse?  What about foreplay? fingering? Can my bf get herpes on his mouth by giving me oral sex or the other way around? What about sex toys? 
      We had such an amazing sex life together. This sucks so bad. I don't know how I will ever be able to look at sex the same way again. I hate that I can't be as carefree as I was before this diagnoses. I was in a long shitty sexless marriage for 15 years and finalized my divorce last year. I finally discovered that I actually like sex and have really come into my sexuality recently  and now I feel like that is being taken away from me. I want to be comfortable with my boyfriend again and enjoy something that was so amazing but I can't seem to get out of my head about it. So I'm posting here in hopes that someone can give me some advice. 
    • vitacoco
      By vitacoco
      I was diagnosed with gHSV1 about 2 weeks ago. My outbreak is all cleared up and I am off the 7 day treatment my nurse gave me. I want to try getting back into sexual activity with my partner, but I am nervous about pain or discomfort. Can anyone give me any advice or what to expect? It can be as simple as oral to actual intercourse Any response would be greatly appreciated... I am very nervous. 
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • win
      Hey hi202020, the Varivax vaccine definitely removed the neuralgia for me, at least so far (fingers crossed). My signs of HSV1 infection after the blood test came back positive in December (with a high IGG of over 55) were: horrible flu symptoms initially (in February) with swollen lymph nodes, followed by almost non-stop, super painful genital neuralgia, and one oral outbreak in March. However, the neuralgia has completely disappeared since the end of April (about a month or so). I had the first vaccine on April 10 and the booster shot on May 19, so about a week ago.
    • hi202020
      Hey Mackie I have the same neuralgia that you do, did you find anything that helped you? Did you try any vaccines? I’m feeling desperate as I’ve had non stop neuralgia/pain for 4+ months after contracting GHSV-1.
    • mconcerned1986
      Got my igG results after 13 months and it is negative I think I need to put this behind and may be rhink do some shitty infection that is causing this itching in genitals and on face. Just an FYI my Western blot at 7 months post exposure is negative.
    • Mikeike3
      Exactly. Plus some people don't seroconvert ever or for a long time, so it's even larger than that.  Also, it takes longer for hsv. To show up on wb than on a commercial igg test. 
    • Stolo868
      Even Terri says that sensitivity of WB for hsv1 is 95-96%. So somebody has to be in this 4-5%...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.