World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Grey0214

Preventing OB's

Grey0214

My first initial OB was about 2 weeks ago and since then has cleared up mostly. However it was quite possibly the worst pain I've ever experienced, making it hard to walk, sleep or go to the bathroom. I was curious as to what some good ways are to prevent OB's. I'm new to HSV so any information would be greatly appreciated. 

WilsoInAus

The first thing to note is that you can quite reasonably expect not to have an outbreak like your first again. Your immune system will most likely limit the severity to a single sore.

Was your swab properly typed? DId you receive oral sex in the week before the outbreak?

Grey0214
6 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

The first thing to note is that you can quite reasonably expect not to have an outbreak like your first again. Your immune system will most likely limit the severity to a single sore.

Was your swab properly typed? DId you receive oral sex in the week before the outbreak?

I received a swab test: my current boyfriend and I were very sexually active before the outbreak so yes I probably most likely received oral before this  ob

Whyyyyy

Some people take Lysine...I take super Lysine from amazon, vitamin D and vitamin b12...drink lots of water and avoid food high in arginine (Oats, nuts, nut butters, chocolate)... go to pinktent.com and look for more tips! 

Grey0214
3 hours ago, Lisajd said:

If its hsv1 the likilood of further obs is less than hsv2

Darn  mine is hsv2 :(

Sanguine108
1 hour ago, Grey0214 said:

It all depends.   There are maaaanny many people who have g-HSV2 that don't have recurring outbreaks.

Whyyyyy
14 minutes ago, Sanguine108 said:

It all depends.   There are maaaanny many people who have g-HSV2 that don't have recurring outbreaks.

I'm one! :)

Lisajd
4 hours ago, Sanguine108 said:

Very true but in theory....

WilsoInAus
6 hours ago, Grey0214 said:

Very important for you to ask whether your swab was properly typed. 

With a culture swab, they need to do a second test to ascertain type. Ask what second test was performed and what was the result.

Grey0214

While you're all on the topic I have a few questions. I went out today and bought Zinc, Lysine, and St. John's Wort supplements. Have any of you tried these? If so what was the outcome? Is it safe to take these all or should I spread them out throughout the day? 

Sanguine108
On 6/15/2017 at 0:39 AM, Grey0214 said:

While you're all on the topic I have a few questions. I went out today and bought Zinc, Lysine, and St. John's Wort supplements. Have any of you tried these? If so what was the outcome? Is it safe to take these all or should I spread them out throughout the day? 

Lysine is food level, zinc shouldn't be taken in excess.  Neither Zinc nor Lysine interact w SJW.  Zn is more like a co-factor for cellular-biochemical processes while Lys is an amino acid that's been associated with tissue/collagen repair; it's more or less a building block though.  SJW is a worker, it promotes nerve related activity and all things down-stream of that.   So people who are depressed because of neurotransmitter imbalances, SJW increases the neurotrans production (as well as recycling/reuptake) and balances things out.   When the nervous system works better, the entire body works better.

From my experience with SJW, it eliminated most of my oral symptoms and moderately reduced my genital symptoms (both HSV1).  I think for those who have g-hsv should really go for the SJW vaginal suppositories because you're directly targeting and treating the affected area.  

WilsoInAus

What is the connection between the impacts of SJW and herpes?

Whoopsie, you left out some stuff; please edit your post to include the disclaimer that there is self diagnosis here of both herpes and symptoms. That's just showing some respect to your fellow man and readers of this website, many of whom are probably young and impressionable and some even on the edge!

Disc0rdant
18 minutes ago, Sanguine108 said:

Lysine is food level, zinc shouldn't be taken in excess.  Neither Zinc nor Lysine interact w SJW.  Zn is more like a co-factor for cellular-biochemical processes while Lys is an amino acid that's been associated with tissue/collagen repair; it's more or less a building block though.  SJW is a worker, it promotes nerve related activity and all things down-stream of that.   So people who are depressed because of neurotransmitter imbalances, SJW increases the neurotrans production (as well as recycling/reuptake) and balances things out.   When the nervous system works better, the entire body works better.

From my experience with SJW, it eliminated most of my oral symptoms and moderately reduced my genital symptoms (both HSV1).  I think for those who have g-hsv should really go for the SJW vaginal suppositories because you're directly targeting and treating the affected area.  

Thanks for posting.  Herbal remedies can help.  Also agree,  Zinc should be taken carefully.  

Sanguine108
6 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

What is the connection between the impacts of SJW and herpes?

Whoopsie, you left out some stuff; please edit your post to include the disclaimer that there is self diagnosis here of both herpes and symptoms. That's just showing some respect to your fellow man and readers of this website, many of whom are probably young and impressionable and some even on the edge!

You're not even a real person.

http://www.nutritionalwellness.com/archives/2009/august/08_phytotherapy.php
St John's Wort

It may be surprising, but this well-known herb for depression is also clinically active against the herpes virus. The probable reason for this activity is the discovery that St John's wort contains the phytochemicals hypericin and pseudohypericin, which are active at killing viruses containing an envelope (such as the herpes virus).2

A tablet of St. John's wort dry extract was compared with placebo in patients suffering from recurrent orofacial herpes (trial 1; 94 patients) or genital herpes (trial 2; 110 patients) in two separate double blind, randomized clinical trials.3 For both trials the total observation time was 90 days and patients received 3 tablets a day in symptom-free periods and six tablets a day during skin outbreaks. Each tablet contained 300 mg of dried extract standardized to contain 0.3 percent of hypericin and pseudohypericin. The main measure of efficacy was a symptom score, calculated as a total of the severity ratings of major symptoms (such as presence and number of blisters, intensity of complaints, size of affected area) during the skin outbreak.

The total symptom score was significantly lower in the St. John's wort group compared with placebo in both trials. Average scores were 20.3 for the herb vs. 32.1 for placebo for trial 1 and 15.6 vs. 29.4 for trial 2. The herb also led to a superior reduction of the number of patients with herpetic episodes (skin sores) in both trials. Individual symptoms were also noticeably improved by the herbal treatment.

The authors commented that the positive outcome was unexpected, because laboratory studies on hypericin indicated that the presence of light was necessary to activate the antiviral effect. (This is despite the fact that many herbalists have been using St. John's wort extract in this way and enjoying good clinical success.) They also pointed out that their study does not establish a mechanism of action for the herb, which could be antiviral, but might also be acting via the immune system, perhaps in turn mediated by the antidepressant activity.

1. Mills S, Bone K. Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy: Modern Herbal Medicine. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, 2000, pp. 542-552.
  2. Mannel M, Koytchev R, Dundarov S. Oral hypericum extract LI 160 is an effective treatment of recurrent herpes genitalis and herpes labialis. Paper presented at the 3rd International Congress on Phytomedicine, Munich, Oct. 11-13 2000 (SL-25).

WilsoInAus

That's just herb sellers claptrap. This isn't based on any evidence and may be falsified. 

These articles use the same technique. Quote papers from conferences, which are not published or peer reviewed - misrepresented their intention and hope no one can get a copy!