World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Almostcertain

Here goes

Almostcertain

I do not know if this is the right forum topic and my apologies if it is not but, here goes:

Hi,

I am a 32 year old male and as my screenname implies, I am just about sure that I have hsv2.  My symptoms, 3 days from exposure without protection (with a female friend) (May 13th,
the worst day of my life) were crawling, tingling, stinging, INTENSE burning all-throughout my genital area, including penis, testicles and pelvic region.  2 days later the burning
sensation radiated on my upper thighs.  

That Wednesday(the 17th)  i went to the GP and asked for all available STD tests.  He first asked me for my symptoms, and I told him what was it that I was feeling. He proceeded to
tell me that usually hsv2 manifests itself with lesions, and asked if I wanted to be visually examined, I said yes.  He did not find any lesions on my penis, scrotum or thighs.  
After the visit to the GP(the same day), I went ahead and got tested right next door at the lab.  When the results came in on friday (19th) I went again to my GP to have him read
the results. He read the results and I came back negative for all test (gonorreha, syphillis, clamhydia, HIV, Heptatitis, but he did not include HSV1/HSV2 in the tests as he did
not see any lesions, and so he did not order the HSV1/2 tests.  I specified that I wanted that test done, so he gave me an order for that test (HSV1/2).  I believe that the test
was the IgM test.  Couldn't get the test done on that day as the lab was closed, so I waited.  That day I bought acyclovir and started taking it. Three days passed and the pills
had zero effect on my symptoms.  

On Monday (22th), I visited an Urologist because my symptoms kept getting worse, the stinging and burninig intensified very much.  I went from a 8-9 to dam near 11 on a "pain"
scale.  I told what was going on with me and my symptoms and the tests that I had performed and he proceeded to examine me visually.  He stated that "Genital Herpes manifests
itself as lesions on the genital area, and from what i see you do not show any lesions on you".  He proceeded to give a talk about how we start to look things up on the net, and
that leads us to believe in diseases that we do not have.  So, he concluded that all this can be psychosomatic. I asked him if the test(HSV1/2) that i had the GP order was
warranted and he said no, that it should not be administered.  He offered to prescribe a 10 day course of Valtrex, if I wanted it (weird, i now), and I said yes.  Started to take
the pills twice a day for 10 days at 12am, 12pm.  

That day (Monday 22th) when I exited the Urologist office, I really was in disbelief that the Dr. would say that my symptoms could just be psychosomatic.  Mind you, I couldn't sleep,
work or function very well during this time, I was alone in this, literally alone.  My closest relative was away on a trip and it would be 2 more weeks until I saw them.  I was
scared out of my mind (still am) for my own safety at this point. All this was weighing extremely on my mind, so went ahead and got tested for what the GP ordered (HSV1/HSV2 IGM
test. 

I felt better after taking Valtrex. This is one of the reasons I think i have HSV2.  The intense burning subsided quite considerably, but i still felt something in the whole
genital region.  Sort of like a numbness, the feeling you get when you remove an ice pack from your skin.  That lasted for about the 10 day course i was on the pills. 

On the 31st, I started to feel the same burning sensations as the first week after exposure, accompanied by lots of stinging at random points throughout the day.  That same day I
picked up the lab results from the IGM test and went to my GP.   They came in negative, and so he directed me towards an Infectious Diseases Dr. if I was still doubtful.  My GP,
also suggested that all this could be psychosomatic.  That day I scheduled an appointment to see an Infectious Diseases Dr.  

So that week and weekend was a very dark period for me.  The intense pain, burning and all original symptoms came back with a vengeance.  Pain was at an 11. I considered taking my
life on more than one occasion.  I did not want to get out of bed, eat, talk or do anything. 

The next tuesday (June 6th)  i went to my appointment with the infectious Diseases Dr.  She asked for the purpose of my visit and my symptoms and she started ruling out HSV2 on the
spot because there where no lesions associated with it. She did not visually examine my genital area.  She did say however after reading all of my lab results that the IGM test
that i had administered was not reliable as it was too soon to perform that test.  Also she said that my symptoms resemble that of urethritis and proceeded to order a culture and
some more tests that checked for prostatitis .  She prescribed two antibiotic drugs, one dose each, to treat bacteria, I do not remember their names at this time.  She said to have
the test(culture and whatnot) administered before taking the antibiotics.  Also, she ordered the HSV1/2 IGG test to be administered, at the 1 month mark of exposure and she
prescribed 1g of Valtrex daily until the next visit with her, which will be on Monday june 18th. 

I proceeded to get the labs done first, then buy the antibiotics and take them.   I waited two days before going on Valtrex again just to see if the antibiotics would work or not.
My symptoms did not change.  The intense burning and stinging was still there.  On June 9th I started taking 1g Valtrex daily and my symptoms changed a bit, from maybe an 11 to a
9-8. (Again more indication as to why i am almost sure that I have HSV2).  

On Monday June 12th, I broke down after a business meeting I had. I went straight to the Urologist in search of some answers, I called, the Dr was still in and was kind enough to
see me without an appointment. I explained again what I was feeling and he again visually examined me and told me that he did not see any lesions, and said that I should see a
Psychiatrist because of the impact of this whole ordeal has had on me (suggesting again that this could be psychosomatic). I have not gone to a Psychiatrist yet, but am willing to
go and talk to someone at this point. 

That day (monday 12th) I had the Igg HSV1/HSV2 test done as well as HIV (per infectious diseases drs instructions).  Those results won't be available until friday the 16th.  I am
terrified of what the diagnosis may be (even thou i am convinced i have hsv2).  My next appointment to read these results is on the 19th of june.  

I have lived in constant prodrome throughout my genital area and pelvic area for a month straight.  The pain, burning has radiated to my thighs,  from 2 or 3 days ago has radiated to my entire left leg.  I have searched Post-Herpetic Neuralgia and the symptoms are very in line with what i feel.

What are some of the members opinions and thoughts on my experience?
Do I have HSV1/2 on my genital area?
Can anything make my symptoms better?

Thank you for reading or commenting on my very long post.  Also, thank you for creating this forum which contains lots of information, support and people to share stories with. 

Edited by Almostcertain
Mispelled word

NotGood

This reads almost 99% as if I could have written it.   These were my symptoms for at least about 2 months and seems to have been getting more tolerable, yet milder symptoms (that fluctuate) still exist.  Have been to 4 different PCM DRs, 3 Urologists, 2 dermatologist; heard the same "manifestation of your head" diagnosis, however the pain is very much real.  I took two IGG tests and am negative for HSV2 but positive for HSV1.  All other STDs negative several times.   Will do another IGG in July. 

Lisajd

That was a very detailed explanation.  Most doctors do not do blood tests without lesions because they can be unreliable and also you need to wait 12 weeks from infection before a positive result will show.  If your symptoms are going onvaltrex obviously there is some kind of viral infection but the reality is without blisters you're going to have to wait until 12 week mark

WilsoInAus

Does the female friend have HSV-2?

Almostcertain

@NotGood you have hsv1 on you genitals? When was your exposure? 

@Lisajd I am aware but waiting that long is just torture.

@WilsoInAus I do not know if she has hsv2.  I asked her to get tested, she showed me every test which was negative, except hsv1/2 as her gyno did not order these tests.  It will be difficult to have her tested for this as she felt accused when i asked her to get tested.  

NotGood
1 minute ago, Almostcertain said:

@NotGood you have hsv1 on you genitals? When was your exposure? 

I'm not sure - I dont remember having any cold sores in my life, but yet my IGG for HSV1 was in the high 30's.  Have not had any "classic" lesions on my penis other than 1 confusing "bump" on my scrotum/shaft connection area that appeared and went away rather fast at around the 12 week mark.    But the pain was severe at around the 2-6 week mark; persistent, non-relenting, and shifting all around my groin region.  

Almostcertain

@NotGood thank you for your response.

Has the pain subsided? When did it, if it did? Did you take any medication that could help? 

WilsoInAus

That all probably means that there is no reason for her to suspect that she has HSV-2.

Based on the above description of symptoms I also believe that your test (best to wait until week 16) will be negative for HSV-2. Remember most people with HSV-1 if infected with HSV-2 experience very slight symptoms mainly as the antibodies are effective to a degree.

NotGood
23 minutes ago, Almostcertain said:

@NotGood thank you for your response.

Has the pain subsided? When did it, if it did? Did you take any medication that could help? 

I would say that I was peaked at 9-10 pain scale wise.  Going to work was excruciating and every touch of clothes to the inflamed area was a constant distraction and reminder.  I would have rather had a broken leg or arm bone than deal with this kinda pain.  Cool showers temporarily helped along with loose clothing in the evening.  I have been taking a lot of vit C, and B...like 4-5x the regular dose.  The discomfort is now about a 1-3, a constant reminder that something is not right.

Almostcertain

12 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Based on the above description of symptoms I also believe that your test (best to wait until week 16) will be negative for HSV-2. Remember most people with HSV-1 if infected with HSV-2 experience very slight symptoms mainly as the antibodies are effective to a degree.

@WilsoInAus

thank you for reponding. You believe that at 16 weeks my test will be negative? 

Or the negative you are referring to is the test that i had done this week. 4th week. 

Do you believe that she had hsv1 and was infected with hsv2? I don't quite understand your last sentece. 

Thanks again. 

Almostcertain
11 minutes ago, finallyfree said:

@Almostcertain

I am sorry that they think this is a psycho-somatic event.  Your symptoms do not entire reflect this.  And the ice pack description is a flaming red flag indicating nerve excitably. 

I recommend you continue taking Valtrex to get over this hump and for the short-term benefit.  They may need to up your dosage or duration of treatment.  And INSIST on another HSV panel in 1 month. 

Please do not take your life. THERE ARE WAYS AROUND THIS! I promise you! And please keep us updated❤️

@finallyfree 

thank you for your kind words. 

I am taking 1g Valtrex 2x a day to see if my symptoms subside just enough that i can function in everyday life.

I agree with your statement that the lab work was done too soon, as i have researched a lot into the topic this past month. 

The last tests where administered at 4 weeks from exposure since the infectious disease dr said that the igg will start to show some change at that time. 

What is your opinion on this? 

WilsoInAus

For sure, I'll give you a fuller run down of my thoughts... might help though if I understand something... do you have a regular partner, are you married etc.?

NotGood

I did for about 7 days.  Noticed no notable difference to pain at around week 3.

Edited by NotGood

Almostcertain

@WilsoInAus

I do not have a partner.  I was with the same girlfriend for 5 years before this.  The incident was the first time I had been with someone.  

It hurts that my ex and I are trying to work things out but at this point I cannot bear for her to be exposed to the same level of mental/physical torture as I have. 

Edited by Almostcertain

WilsoInAus

I think this therefore provides a strong stress overlay to your thinking.

This friend naturally must have had HSV-2 for this to even be an issue. Her actions are not consistent with this. You asked her a direct question and she answered I would assume that to the best of her knowledge she does not have genital herpes. She even went to obtain tests to see if there was an explanation. If she had herpes and knew it, then she'd be likely to confess or ignore you completely.

The symptoms you describe are not really aligned with herpes. They are not aligned to someone that does not have lesions. What I meant above was that as you already have HSV-1 antibodies in your body, a HSV-2 infection is very often slight, a sore or so. This is why it is missed by so many people who are infected. What you infer is exceptionally rare enough for a person who does not have HSV 1/2 at all let alone someone who has HSV-1.

IgG testing will provide you with comfort. The last test will need to be at 16 weeks to be conclusive.

Almostcertain
13 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

I think this therefore provides a strong stress overlay to your thinking.

This friend naturally must have had HSV-2 for this to even be an issue. Her actions are not consistent with this. You asked her a direct question and she answered I would assume that to the best of her knowledge she does not have genital herpes. She even went to obtain tests to see if there was an explanation. If she had herpes and knew it, then she'd be likely to confess or ignore you completely.

The symptoms you describe are not really aligned with herpes. They are not aligned to someone that does not have lesions. What I meant above was that as you already have HSV-1 antibodies in your body, a HSV-2 infection is very often slight, a sore or so. This is why it is missed by so many people who are infected. What you infer is exceptionally rare enough for a person who does not have HSV 1/2 at all let alone someone who has HSV-1.

IgG testing will provide you with comfort. The last test will need to be at 16 weeks to be conclusive.

@WilsoInAus

Thank your thorough response. 

I believe that if she has this, she does not know it.  I asked her to get tested to be 100% sure of what was happening and for both parties to be informed.  I have shared every result with her, even letting her know that i was sorry for telling her to get tested.  But my symptoms are real.  My pain is real and my state of mind is not ok.  

I will share will all of you my results along the way.  

Do we agree that igg is the test to perform? 

What benefits does the igM test have?

Do you have hsv @WilsoInAus

WilsoInAus

Only the IgG test has credibility. Disregard IgM, it has no credibility for adults and especially those with HSV (HSV-1 for you) already.

Yes, I have oral HSV-1.

Almostcertain

@WilsoInAus I do not know if I have hsv1 nor hsv2 , as no test has confirmed it.

Edited by Almostcertain

WilsoInAus

Sorry, got confused by another post above.

That means you need to wait until week 12!

Almostcertain

@NotGood

how long ago was your exposure?

How much time did it pass until you were diagnosed with hsv1

How much time did it pass for your symptoms to subside. 

30+ years

Everything you described in your initial post sounds like a yeast infection to me. With HSV you would definitely have a sore or sores in the area. While this is affecting such a large area (penis, testicles, thighs, etc), it doesn't sound like HSV.

Imaginaryexit
5 hours ago, Almostcertain said:

I do not know if this is the right forum topic and my apologies if it is not but, here goes:

Hi,

I am a 32 year old male and as my screenname implies, I am just about sure that I have hsv2.  My symptoms, 3 days from exposure without protection (with a female friend) (May 13th,
the worst day of my life) were crawling, tingling, stinging, INTENSE burning all-throughout my genital area, including penis, testicles and pelvic region.  2 days later the burning
sensation radiated on my upper thighs.  

That Wednesday(the 17th)  i went to the GP and asked for all available STD tests.  He first asked me for my symptoms, and I told him what was it that I was feeling. He proceeded to
tell me that usually hsv2 manifests itself with lesions, and asked if I wanted to be visually examined, I said yes.  He did not find any lesions on my penis, scrotum or thighs.  
After the visit to the GP(the same day), I went ahead and got tested right next door at the lab.  When the results came in on friday (19th) I went again to my GP to have him read
the results. He read the results and I came back negative for all test (gonorreha, syphillis, clamhydia, HIV, Heptatitis, but he did not include HSV1/HSV2 in the tests as he did
not see any lesions, and so he did not order the HSV1/2 tests.  I specified that I wanted that test done, so he gave me an order for that test (HSV1/2).  I believe that the test
was the IgM test.  Couldn't get the test done on that day as the lab was closed, so I waited.  That day I bought acyclovir and started taking it. Three days passed and the pills
had zero effect on my symptoms.  

On Monday (22th), I visited an Urologist because my symptoms kept getting worse, the stinging and burninig intensified very much.  I went from a 8-9 to dam near 11 on a "pain"
scale.  I told what was going on with me and my symptoms and the tests that I had performed and he proceeded to examine me visually.  He stated that "Genital Herpes manifests
itself as lesions on the genital area, and from what i see you do not show any lesions on you".  He proceeded to give a talk about how we start to look things up on the net, and
that leads us to believe in diseases that we do not have.  So, he concluded that all this can be psychosomatic. I asked him if the test(HSV1/2) that i had the GP order was
warranted and he said no, that it should not be administered.  He offered to prescribe a 10 day course of Valtrex, if I wanted it (weird, i now), and I said yes.  Started to take
the pills twice a day for 10 days at 12am, 12pm.  

That day (Monday 22th) when I exited the Urologist office, I really was in disbelief that the Dr. would say that my symptoms could just be psychosomatic.  Mind you, I couldn't sleep,
work or function very well during this time, I was alone in this, literally alone.  My closest relative was away on a trip and it would be 2 more weeks until I saw them.  I was
scared out of my mind (still am) for my own safety at this point. All this was weighing extremely on my mind, so went ahead and got tested for what the GP ordered (HSV1/HSV2 IGM
test. 

I felt better after taking Valtrex. This is one of the reasons I think i have HSV2.  The intense burning subsided quite considerably, but i still felt something in the whole
genital region.  Sort of like a numbness, the feeling you get when you remove an ice pack from your skin.  That lasted for about the 10 day course i was on the pills. 

On the 31st, I started to feel the same burning sensations as the first week after exposure, accompanied by lots of stinging at random points throughout the day.  That same day I
picked up the lab results from the IGM test and went to my GP.   They came in negative, and so he directed me towards an Infectious Diseases Dr. if I was still doubtful.  My GP,
also suggested that all this could be psychosomatic.  That day I scheduled an appointment to see an Infectious Diseases Dr.  

So that week and weekend was a very dark period for me.  The intense pain, burning and all original symptoms came back with a vengeance.  Pain was at an 11. I considered taking my
life on more than one occasion.  I did not want to get out of bed, eat, talk or do anything. 

The next tuesday (June 6th)  i went to my appointment with the infectious Diseases Dr.  She asked for the purpose of my visit and my symptoms and she started ruling out HSV2 on the
spot because there where no lesions associated with it. She did not visually examine my genital area.  She did say however after reading all of my lab results that the IGM test
that i had administered was not reliable as it was too soon to perform that test.  Also she said that my symptoms resemble that of urethritis and proceeded to order a culture and
some more tests that checked for prostatitis .  She prescribed two antibiotic drugs, one dose each, to treat bacteria, I do not remember their names at this time.  She said to have
the test(culture and whatnot) administered before taking the antibiotics.  Also, she ordered the HSV1/2 IGG test to be administered, at the 1 month mark of exposure and she
prescribed 1g of Valtrex daily until the next visit with her, which will be on Monday june 18th. 

I proceeded to get the labs done first, then buy the antibiotics and take them.   I waited two days before going on Valtrex again just to see if the antibiotics would work or not.
My symptoms did not change.  The intense burning and stinging was still there.  On June 9th I started taking 1g Valtrex daily and my symptoms changed a bit, from maybe an 11 to a
9-8. (Again more indication as to why i am almost sure that I have HSV2).  

On Monday June 12th, I broke down after a business meeting I had. I went straight to the Urologist in search of some answers, I called, the Dr was still in and was kind enough to
see me without an appointment. I explained again what I was feeling and he again visually examined me and told me that he did not see any lesions, and said that I should see a
Psychiatrist because of the impact of this whole ordeal has had on me (suggesting again that this could be psychosomatic). I have not gone to a Psychiatrist yet, but am willing to
go and talk to someone at this point. 

That day (monday 12th) I had the Igg HSV1/HSV2 test done as well as HIV (per infectious diseases drs instructions).  Those results won't be available until friday the 16th.  I am
terrified of what the diagnosis may be (even thou i am convinced i have hsv2).  My next appointment to read these results is on the 19th of june.  

I have lived in constant prodrome throughout my genital area and pelvic area for a month straight.  The pain, burning has radiated to my thighs,  from 2 or 3 days ago has radiated to my entire left leg.  I have searched Post-Herpetic Neuralgia and the symptoms are very in line with what i feel.

What are some of the members opinions and thoughts on my experience?
Do I have HSV1/2 on my genital area?
Can anything make my symptoms better?

Thank you for reading or commenting on my very long post.  Also, thank you for creating this forum which contains lots of information, support and people to share stories with. 

I had the same stuff happen but already tested positive for IGG HSV 1 two months prior to going through what you are and more than that.  I got manifestation on scalp, face, hands, feet after scratching in the shower.  Now I have tingling across my scalp, hands, face, ear.  I did have a cold sore in my mouth the one time during this, but nothing defined like the pictures you see, because apparently the 10 doctors I went to were just like the ones you saw.  So I have this thrush inflammation at the end of my penis after all this and they said it looks normal!!!  Its funny in a way, its like I'm trying to convince the doctor this is what the fuck this is and they wont agree, but have no alternative answer,  and you better damn believe I don't want to have this anywhere on my body, they wont even give me Valtrex.  So now I'm left with thousands of questions like...if you test positive for an IGG can you have a primary attack later and infect your whole body.  I was under the assumption that if you test IGG that it would be most unlikely to spread it at that point all over yourself.  So anyway, my life sucks, this has brought me down to a new low.  Even on here I found no one to talk to about this crap.  Its like if I don't have a big blistery spot and instead unusual symptoms they don't want to talk or relate.  This all happened to me in the last few months as well.  Anyway, I pray for all of you to have some kind of piece in your lives and others with other kinds of things that might wish they had what we had.  I know its always could be worse, but that never made me feel better.  by the way I was going crazy thinking I got HSV2 all the sudden. maybe I have to wait a lot longer to get a IGG for HSV2 as well.

WilsoInAus

@Imaginaryexitmate the best we can advise you is that there is absolutely no reason to suspect that HSV 1/2 is causing your issues.

If you have seen doctors, where does the weight of their opinion lie? Why would you need to see 10 when 2 + 1 specialist is all that is necessary.

Imaginaryexit
Just now, WilsoInAus said:

@Imaginaryexitmate the best we can advise you is that there is absolutely no reason to suspect that HSV 1/2 is causing your issues.

If you have seen doctors, where does the weight of their opinion lie? Why would you need to see 10 when 2 + 1 specialist is all that is necessary.

Being ignorant in a new relationship, after the first to weeks of being together, I got full std testing, that's when the IGG came up positive.  Doctors nurse said your all good your just positive for HSV1, no big deal.  A month went by and she mentioned she had little bumps on her gums that didn't hurt, she had dental visits and was on a antibacterial for possible absess and was relating it to that and she wanted to give me a bj and stupid me said ok, if you really want to.  lol   So shortly after that I got all the same things the guy up above said plus more as time went on.  I saw a Primary D, Urologist,  dermatologist, and then a plan parent hood doc, thinking maybe he has seen this a lot more often.  I gave the Urologist my concerns, he said we pee tested you for everything..I said you can do that with herpes?  he said yes....So from my research over the last few months I know that's a damn lie.  He said go have sex have fun.  Dermatoligist saw the manifestations I had on my forearms, and the pictures I took, and she just seemed to be looking for cancer regardless of my concerns....lol  Went back to by primary after all that and he said little bumps on the penis normal go have sex you don't need antivirals.  Mind you they all know I had a possative IGG for HSV1.